Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to removing things WITHOUT model editing
posted 30 April 2004 08:10 PM EDT (US)   
Okay. This is my first guide, so be lenient on me.

Credit to Lord Zorinthrox for linking to the hex editor and stuff here

How to Remove Sheilds, Capes, Heads, etc. Without Model Editing
Also makes ReplaceTexture obsolete

Let's say you have a unit (for example a Jason) and you don't want the shield, but it's directly attached to the model and you can't edit models. You could bother a modeller to help, but they can get annoyed. Fortunately it is still possible. First, download the hex editor here. http://www.tucows.com/preview/299911.html

Now, find all the models the are used by this unit. Copy them and rename them to something. example: dnas example monkeyishjasonwithoutshield_idleA.brg

Now, make a texture 32 by 64 pixels. Fill it all black. convert it to a ddt with the settings 15-bit 1-bit alpha[0] 5 mip-map levels.

Save it something like invisible.ddt

Now, run the hex editor. Open your brg (model file). Now, you may see a bunch of nonsense or the word BANG. Ignore that. Click on the hex editing mode button. (It looks like an H at the bottom of you opened window.) Scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see the names of the textures at the bottom.

Find the one of the object you want to remove. Example: Hero G Jason Shield

Type the name of your invisible texture over it. The hex editor will only allow you to overide old characters so stop you do not have any more room left. If you have more room, replace the rest of the texture name with something random. I use abcdefgh... Then, save. Repeat with all the models. Go back to your invisible texture and rename it to invisibleabcdef.ddt or whatever is in the model files.

Now, place the models in your models folder and change the anim file according to your models name.

Congratulations! You have just changed the texture of a brg WITHOUT model editing. This is advantageous in many ways:

• It saves time from typing all those replacetextures.
  • It makes people wonder at how you didn't use Replace Texture.
  • It makes people think you are stupid from because of the abcdef... or whatever in your files.
  • It gets rid of those annoying bugs when you ReplaceTexture a texture with an alpha channel (ie. the nidhogg's wings.)
  • It makes it easy to find a wierdly named texture. (ie the Jarl's cape is Special n Jarl cape map, not cavalry n jarl cape or whatever)

Pictures coming soon

Note: This only works if the area to be removed has its own texture.

Dnas
Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

[This message has been edited by Dnas (edited 05-01-2004 @ 07:11 AM).]

Replies:
posted 30 April 2004 10:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10  
wait..

So lemme see if i got it right...

lets say I want to remove the Destroyer's head off, which is attached to the model itself, and make it usable to attach to any other unit.

This is the way to do it?

If it is.... thats great!

Im gonna try it.

thx.

someone once asked me: "Why do you like Shakira so much?"
I replied: "cuz..... *Latin beat starts*
I LIKE IT LIKE THAT!!! I--LIKE--IT LIKE--DAT!!!
*chorus* *HE LIKES-IT LIKE THAT!!!....... "
<<<<see 4 urself>>>>
posted 30 April 2004 10:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10  
Well, it's not going to work for the Destroyer becasue the head is part of the base texture... I think

In general, it works for original AOM units.

If you like, I'll make you model-edited, anim-editable Destroyers.

Dnas

[This message has been edited by Dnas (edited 04-30-2004 @ 10:25 PM).]

posted 30 April 2004 11:03 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10  
this is good. nice job dnas. downside is it only works for models attached to the base animation... or base animations that you want to get rid of and leave the attached model
posted 01 May 2004 02:48 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10  
Very good... I never thought of that, but it really is helpful and saves time.
posted 01 May 2004 05:21 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10  
Nice job Dnas. This will come in real handy to those who have no idea on how to use gmax and its functions. Something tells me though that you can do more with hexing the meshes. Only a matter of time before someone cracks the coding wide open. Ive been trying a few things but it seems you have had better luck then me.

£¿ïþß첩û £¤® ~ ¿ïØûîÐ £í® §üÐ줧
Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.
posted 01 May 2004 09:40 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10  
thx a lot for offering Dnas...

but what Im really looking for is to make a Japanese Castle...

I thought instead of having someone make a completely new building model... I thought it could be made like the "basket-less" Roc unit someone made by deleting some polygons.

Anywhoo.. I just would like a roof of a building and not the entire building... that way I could resise the roof and add it to lets say a Greek fortress change the art and I got my Japanese castle.

e-mail: rodya_255@hotmail.com

If you work some stuff for me ill show you something that i think is pretty cool

someone once asked me: "Why do you like Shakira so much?"
I replied: "cuz..... *Latin beat starts*
I LIKE IT LIKE THAT!!! I--LIKE--IT LIKE--DAT!!!
*chorus* *HE LIKES-IT LIKE THAT!!!....... "
<<<<see 4 urself>>>>

[This message has been edited by rodya_255 (edited 05-01-2004 @ 09:41 AM).]

posted 01 May 2004 10:22 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10  
I'd like to help, but I'm not a very good modeller.

I'll try when I get time.

Dnas

[This message has been edited by Dnas (edited 05-01-2004 @ 07:38 PM).]

posted 03 May 2004 08:19 AM EDT (US)     8 / 10  
Nice, but I think most of the origenal modders already knew that, but nevertheless a good guide

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 03 May 2004 08:15 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10  
well i didn't. i didn't know what a hex editor was until i saw this thread...

it would save SO MUCH space just to use replacetexture.

[This message has been edited by coolsk8r32again (edited 05-03-2004 @ 08:16 PM).]

posted 03 May 2004 09:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 10  
Oh, I didn't know you didn't know over in the PRT and DDT files thread erm topic. Well, Hex is short for hexadecimal, or 16 based math, unlike our usual 10 based (or decimal). Its indepth to explain, but Hex has 16 character because there are 16 possible combinations for four bits (you know, 1s and 0s). Then two hexadecimal characers make up one byte, which is a alphanumeric (letter/number) in a pure text format. Some files formats use information encoded on the Byte level, many 3D formats do to save space. BRGs I think are an example of this, except the texture file names are not encoded, just straight characters.

And since there is a value of 16 in the ones place, a "two -didit number" in Hexadecimal can have a decimal value of up to 255, instead of the decimal cap of 99, before becoming three-digits, a considerable savings of space in the long-run.

Lord Z

[This message has been edited by Lord Zorinthrox (edited 05-03-2004 @ 09:10 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Guide to removing things WITHOUT model editing
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames