Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to Add/Change Shadows, Selection Circles, and Corpses
posted 16 May 2004 10:21 PM EDT (US)   
How to Add/Change Shadows, Selection Circles, and Corpses

Adding and changing these things is surprisingly easy to learn how.

For this tutorial, assume the model you made is called dnas example_(whatever) and that it was edited from villager n dwarf_(whatever).

First, find the files in models(2).bar called villager n dwarf.dcl and villager n dwarf_deatha corpse.dcl.

Copy them to the models folder and rename them to dnas example.dcl and dnas example_deatha corpse.dcl.

Open them both with a simple text editor.

Start with the one called dnas example.dcl. It should say something like:
Shadow Unit Circle 32x32/Shadow Select Circle 32x32/1/1

If the model itself was not scaled don't edit this file.
If you have, multiply the last to numbers by the amount scaled.

Then go to the next file.
It should say something like:
Villager N Dwarf Corpse BodyA/Villager N Dwarf Corpse SkeletonA/1.3/1.3

Do the same thing with the numbers and change the texture names to your corpse and skeleton textures (if you made your own.)

Save, and you are done!

Notes:

• If you didn't make a new model but just want to use your own corpse and skeleton, duplicate the _deatha model and don't bother with the first file.
  • You must have your model files named SOMETHING_idleA.brg. Of course, _idlea could be changed to something else like deathA, walkA, etc.
  • If you need your own texture files for selections and shadows, open the original ones and look at them to see how to make your own.
  • A word of advise for people trying to figure this kind of stuff out: Open files with Notepad and Hex editors.

Dnas
Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

[This message has been edited by Dnas (edited 05-16-2004 @ 10:24 PM).]

Replies:
posted 18 May 2004 08:50 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6  
mmmm, i remember a long time ago i didn't know what DCLs were lol...

Thankfully you did this. not very fun posting threads on this kinda thing, but someone's gotta do it lol

posted 19 May 2004 00:12 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6  
ah, nice article dnas, but, since were on this subject, I never saw the Petrobolos' DCL file in there. Is it in there? Or and I just blind?
posted 19 May 2004 10:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 6  
I don't know if you know this, but the .dcl names are all the models names, lets say, siege x chieroballista_idlea and siege x chieroballista_birtha, then the .dcl file name is siege x chieroballista. But I don't know the model names of the petroboles (SP?)

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 19 May 2004 07:39 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6  
I know about the dcl file, I've done several of them, the model name is Siege G Petrobolos but there is no .dcl file.
posted 20 May 2004 05:51 AM EDT (US)     5 / 6  
Nice article, I've learned something useful.

Quote:

If you didn't make a new model but just want to use your own corpse and skeleton, duplicate the _deatha model and don't bother with the first file

That's stupid, one has to enclose a new model then, which increases the DL time then, but I don't see another solution either.

posted 20 May 2004 08:54 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6  
Well, you can live with the old corpse if filesize is an issue.

Dnas
Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » How to Add/Change Shadows, Selection Circles, and Corpses
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames