loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Newbie Modders Academy Season 2
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 8  Next Page »
posted 30 June 2004 08:06 AM EDT (US)   

Newbie Modders Academy
Season II

NMA Season II is No Longer Accepting Any more New Members

Thanks to Waveslave for trusting in me to carry the N.M.A. This truly is a great honor.

Welcome to N.M.A, an "academy" for all of you new Modders (or people who just want to brush up on their skills)! What happens is that I give you a task to mod. You do your best at the task and send the mod to me. If you completed the task, then you move up a "rank". After a couple of mods, you will definitely see improvement. After I mark your work I will also give you constructive comments on how to improve, or how well you did. What do you gain from this besides learning to mod Age of Mythology? You gain the knowledge and skill needed to make great mods that other people can download and enjoy "If you do so wish to upload your mods for the public to download". You gain the wisdom to help other future newbies in the forums. Last but not least, you get to take your ideas for great mods and make them a reality.

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS

The Deadline for Tasks 1-8 is Feburary 1, 2005.

Also when you graduate you will be offered a place at Creatrix Animatus where you can make great mod packs with fellow modders. Creatrix Animatus's current project is the Kings of Mythology.

N.M.A. Staff
FlipBizcut-Leader
Dnas-Head Assistant
Argalius-Head Assistant
Monkish Man-Head Assistant

N.M.A. Season II Students
randomtask619-Corporate
Snipples-Private
Nox-Private
lil5ty123-Grunt
Carless Whisper-Grunt
Storm_I3laze-Corporate
Hrolf the Reborn-Grunt
snuggins-Grunt
TheNorseGod-Grunt
lastlegion-Grunt
Celer-Grunt
ArcticWind7-Grunt
Mythology Freak-Grunt
TheCrayolaKranz-Grunt

N.M.A. Season II Graduates

Through Tasks 1-9 you will be putting together a unit mod. Once you have finished Task 9 you will know all there is to create a great mod.

Before starting these tasks I will need you to do three things.
1. Find Huskarls anim.txt file and copy it. Rename your copied version to whatever you want "IE: was (huskarl_anim.txt), now is (gray wizard_anim.txt)".
2.Open up your proto(x).xml "after converting it from proto.data" in a text editor find Huskarl's proto code. Once found copy it and paste it at the bottom "Between </unit> and </proto>". Rename it to the same name you used for your anim.txt file "IE: (Huskarl) is now (Grey Wizard)". Change the number one more then the unit proto that is right above your newly pasted code.
3. Send both files to me for record. This way it will be easier for me to grade the task and you will get your results back faster.

NOTE:Please put in the ReplaceTexture commands for the tasks that require it.

Task 1
In this task you must change the beard and hair color of the wizard. It can be any color or design you like. Once you aquire the texture ".ddt" file just convert it with AoMed and write down the channel numbers it gives you "IE: 16-bit no alpha [0] 5 mip map levels". This will come into play later. Rename the texture file to something like "gray wizard head map" using your own units name of course. Now just play around with the texture in any paint program until you get the desired look. When your texture is finished then all you have to do is convert it back to .ddt file format with the AoMed tool "Remember to convert your new texture with the same settings as the huskarls original texture settings IE: 16-bit no alpha [0] 5 mip map levels". Then open up your units anim.txt file and place the ReplaceTexture command in all of the animation command sets"anim attack, anim idle, anim bored, ect ect ect". Be sure it is below the visual calling line of the model.
Visual Infantry N Huskarl_IdleA
ReplaceTexture infantry n huskarl head standard/gray wizard head <---Should look something like this
Now all you have to do after doing this is save the anim.txt file. Place it into the AoM directory inside the anim folder and put your new head texture in the texture folder. Once finished please just send me the .ddt file and your wizards anim.txt file. The name of the file/s needed for this task is: infantry n huskarl head standard.ddt

This Task will be graded on Texture shading, blending and quality.

Task 2
This task will have you changing the cape's texture of your wizard to any color/design you like. Just remember what Task 1 went through and you should have no problems. Once finished please just send me the ddt file and your wizards anim.txt file. The name of the file/s needed for this task is: infantry n huskarl cape.ddt

Task 3
For this task you will be changing the body texture of the wizard. You may use any design or color you choose. Once finished please just send me the ddt file and your wizards anim.txt file. The name of the file/s needed for this task is: infantry n huskarl standard.ddt

Once you finish this task you will be promoted to a Private

Task 4
In this task you will be switching the wizards sword with the Egyptian priests staff and changing the staffs texture to what color and design you want. Find the needed files and then open your units anim.txt file. At the top you should see the lines-

import norse_sword_anim.txt
import Large_Norse_Shield_anim.txt

Just delete these two lines. Below this there should be a Define command set called "define hammer". This is where we will do are coding at. First off you will need to find out what the Egyptian priests staff is called. To do this all you have to do is look for the Egyptian priests anim.txt file "priest_anim.txt". Open it up and scroll down until you see the define command called "define Staff". You will see that the Visual command line is calling for the "Special E Priest Staff". You will want to aquire this file and rename it. I would suggest something along the lines of your units name then an underscore and then staff "IE: graywizard_staff.brg". Now go back to your units anim.txt file where the define hammer command set is at. Replace the "Tool Hammer" with "graywizard_staff" or what ever you named you staff brg file. Now just replace the "hammer" part that is right beside the define command line with "Staff". All you have to do now is scroll down to the Anim command sets and look for the "connect RightHand NorseSword hotspot" command line. This is telling the game where to place the object. In this case it was telling it to place the sword in the Hurkarl's right hand. All we want to do is replace the "NorseSword" part with our define name called "Staff". Should look something like this.

connect RightHand NorseSword hotspot <-----Was this
connect RightHand Staff hotspot <-----Now is this

Be sure to do this in all of the Anim command sets. Now to customize the staffs texture all you have to do is Convert it, Paint it, Convert back, but instead of placing the "ReplaceTexture" command in all of the Anim sets. Now here is where you will get your first taste of hex editing. When you rename your newly modified texture, you must keep in the bounds of the original letters used. Say for instance the priest's staff is called "special e priest staff". You just want to replace the letters of the name. Don't add extra characters or spaces. Like this for an example.

special e priest staff <---- Was
greyxxx x wizard staff <---- Is Now

You will understand why you want to do this in a minute. Now take your copy of the staff model and open it up in a hex editor. A whole bunch of numbers and letters will come up. Just scroll down to the bottom until you see where the model is calling for the texture. It should be in the right colloum of letters and periods. Just replace each letter of the name of the texture with your own personal texture. Now remember that you must replace each letter one at a time. Involves alot of clicking I know but worth it in the end. Once finished just save your new model and you are finished. If you don't quite understand how to do this then I would recommend a article I wrote about special effects. It involves the same kind of hex editing by replacing the names of the textures. You will find it at the Age of Modding forums under the Tutorial section. There is a link below that will take you strait there. Once finished please just send me the ddt, brg files and your wizards anim.txt file. The name of the file/s needed for this task is: special e priest staff.ddt, Special E Priest Staff.brg

This Task will be graded on texture shading, blending and quality.

Task 5
This task you will edit your wizards proto coding. You will have to edit his health, hack/pierce/crush armor, line of sight, speed, attack and what powers effect him. You may change these stats any way you like as long as your wizard isn't too powerful. He must have weaknesses as well, but be well balanced. Also you must clean up the proto code as well along with some lines in your units anim.txt file. In the pro(x) file under your units code you will find tag lines called "train". Delete these. Then scroll down till you see "<action name="Build">". delete this action command all the way down to "</action>". Just before the "<action name="HandAttack">" starts. Below this you should see "<action name="Repair">", delete this as well. Once you are finished with this along with customizing your units stats open up your units anim.txt file. Scroll down until you see "anim Build". Delete this animation set. Now your unit will not be able to build. But that is ok because wizards can't build. Once finished please send me only the proto file and your units anim.txt file.

This Task will be graded on coding, and balance.

Once you finish this task you will be promoted to a Corporate

Task 6
For this task you will be editing the texture of a special effect and adding it to your wizards anim.txt file. The name of the special effect is hero glow. You can change the color or appearance of the texture any way you like. The special effect must be attached to the wizards "FRONTABDOMEN" but it can be on any anim command set you like. For instance you may have it so every time he walks he will glow green. This is up to you. Also you must rename your custom special effect, texture and hex edit the special effect so it will not replace any current existing effects in the game. For the reason of this boards sake I will not explain on how to do this. Instead I will give you a link here to a article I made on how to edit special effects ".prt files". Once finished please just send me the special effect prt file, ddt file and your wizards anim.txt file. The files needed for this task is: SFX A Hero Glow Small.prt, SFX A Hero Glow.ddt

This Task will be graded on color, blending, placement, and eye candy.

Task 7
In this task you must choose two special effects of your choice, texture edit them and add them to your wizards birth and death anim commands in the anim.txt file.Also you must rename your custom special effect/texture and hex edit the special effect so it will not replace any current existing effects in the game. One last thing though before finishing this task. You must also place a birth animation into your units anim file. The reason being is you will need this anim section to connect the birth effect to. In order to do this all you have to do is copy the anim Idel section in complete and paste it at the bottom. Then rename the Idle part to Birth. Now you can connect your special effect for birth to the birth animation. Once finished just send me the special effects "prt" files, ddt files and your wizards anim.txt file.

This Task will be graded on color, blending, placement, and eye candy.

Task 8
This task you will be adding a lighting attack and customized icons to your wizard. You may use any attack range and strength you choose. You may also use any model animation from the hurkarl set to represent the action your wizard makes when casting the lighting. You must also create icons to represent your unit. You can use the Huskalrs icons if you do so choose. I will be putting together an article on proto editing soon. So if you get to this point and you feel like you know how to handle this then by all means go for it. But if you are uncomfortable with it then please be patient. I will have this article finished soon. Once finished please just send me the proto coding and icon files for your wizard and your wizards anim.txt file.

This Task will be graded on coding, balance, icon quality and clearity.

Once you finish this task you will be promoted to a Sergeant

Task 9
This is the final task for the completion of the wizard. In this one you must customize the sounds you want your wizard to make. You can only use sounds that are already in Age of Mythology. No modified and foreign sounds will be accepted. Don't worry. There are plenty of sounds in the game to choose from. Once finished please send me the sound pack file and the wizards sound xml file. NOTE: Please don't send me the sounds themselves. This will not be necessary.

This Task will be graded on coding, and sound.

Task 10
This is the Final Task period. This final task you will make a completely new unit just as we did in the past tasks. The only difference is You get to decide on what to make and how it is made. The only requirements is that the following elements go into the mod. Texture editing, detailed proto editing, icons, custom special effects, sounds, read me file explaining how to install the mod and special powers. There is one rule though to this task. You can NOT base your mod on any media character "IE: Movie, book, game, ect.". You must come up with something strait out of your imagination. Once finished with this task you do NOT send it to me. Instead you must upload it on to the AoMH download section with the words "N.M.A. FT" somewhere in the title. Once everyone has completed this final task I will open up a thread here at the forums where all the students mods will be displayed and the modding community will grade your work. The student with the highest grade will receive the N.M.A. High Honors Award.

Once you finish this task you will be promoted to a Captain

Send You Tasks Here: flipbizcutdragon@gmail.com
NOTE: Please put your finished tasks in a zip before sending them to me. You can find winzip here if you do not have it. Also be sure to name your zips in accordance to your task-unit name-your name. "IE: Task3-GrayWizard-FlipBizcut.zip" Not doing so will delay us from grading tasks faster.

If you are looking for some great articles then go here at Age of Modding or here at Age of Mythology Heaven. You can also find all the tools you need here. If you need a paint program then go here and download Gimp. Dnas has put together a great guide on How to Install and Use Gimp which can be downloaded here.

Also here is a link to an article on advanced texturing created by Carless Whisper for those who feel they might need it.

Take your time on completing these tasks. There is no dead line or limit on how long you take. But I will not wait 3 months for you to complete one task "Unless it is one of the later tasks". Do not use someone else mods and claim you did them. Me, Argalius, Monkish Man and Dnas are regulars here. If you directly copy someone else mod for your task I will have no other choice but to kick you out of the N.M.A. with out warning. We will not tolerate cheaters here. We will grade the tasks once a week. So don't rush us to grade your tasks. Dnas one of my Head Assistants. He will be in charge of helping me out with questions that students may have and helping out with students who use the Gimp paint program. Argalius is my other Head Assistant, he will be assisting in answering questions about modding as well as model editing once I post the side tasks for that. Monkish Man will be answering general modding questions. All four of us will be grading your tasks...When you receive your grades you will have four sets instead of one.

Once all the students have turned in Tasks 1-9, I will put together a mod pack and upload it here at AoMH.
Don't worry, I won't adjust, modify or steal you work.

Tip 1: Pixel Resize
Making the texture bigger will greatly effect on how detailed it will look in the game. The bigger the texture, the better detail you can add. But you don't want it too big. Too big of an texture will make the game crash. If you are using PSP then all you have to do is load the texture into the program. Click Image/Resize in the top menu. Then a dialog will come up with some options. Pixel Size should be chosen already. If not then do so. Then adjust the size the way you want. Here are the pixel sizes AoM reads when loading the textures.

32 pixels: The smallest of the resolution. Not much detail can be added to this.
64 pixels: Double of the 32 res. Still limited to detail though.
128 pixels: Most common used res for textures. Detail looks nice and loads easily into the game.
256 pixels: This res is for those who are detail freaks. Unfortunately this pixel size takes some time for AoM to load and can also slow down game speed in lower end computers.

If you use Ms Paint to resize then the way to resize the texture isn't that much different. Just load your texture into ms paint. Click Image/Attributes, then make sure that pixel is selected. If your texture is lets say 32w and 64h and you want to double it's size. All you have to do is click Image/Stretch and Skew, in the stretch box just make the percentage for both height and width 200%. Once you click ok your texture will be doubled to 64w and 128h. Basically the numbers in Ms Paint read the same as PSP does. So just use the above graph for reference.

Tip 2: Texture Limb Placement
Sometimes looking at an texture can be a bit confusing. The best way to find out what part of the texture belongs to what part or limb of the model is to paint a color chart on a texture. Say for instance you find the legs part of the texture but are not sure on which part is the front of the leg and which part is the back. All you have to do is paint each part with a different color. Convert it to ddt and apply the needed coding to the anim file. Place the needed files into the certain folder of the AoM directory and start up AoM. When you look at the model in the game you will see which color is effecting which piece of the leg. Take screen shots of the model for reference. Just repeat this process for each piece of the texture you are not sure about. Waveslave made an article on this subject here which will better explain what I am talking about.

If you want to post screen shots then by all means feel free to do so. But I will still need the finished tasks themselves to grade your work.

Please visit the N.D.A the Newbie Designer Academy, and maybe sign up!

£¿ïþß첩û £¤® ~ ¿ïØûîÐ £í® §üÐ줧
Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.

[This message has been edited by FlipBizcut (edited 11-20-2004 @ 02:39 AM).]

Replies:
posted 30 June 2004 08:35 AM EDT (US)     1 / 202  
I might as well join up, I can more or less do all of the things there except the prt editing, havent tried that yet. any ways the more practice the better I get, and the more I am known the more respect, wich equals more downloads and the more popular I am lol also I would like to improve and all that. I will start soon but I am a little busy with my mod compitition entry so yeah (btw any constructive critisism is greatly apreciated. The pictures are curently outdated but I they are more or less the basis of it)

on second thoughts I may or may not be I will have to wait like a week or somehting and see.

[This message has been edited by Centurion_13 (edited 06-30-2004 @ 08:40 AM).]

posted 30 June 2004 08:43 AM EDT (US)     2 / 202  
Well would you rather me wait until you are finished with the contest before placing you up here?

As far as giving you some advise on your contest mod....I cant...Against the rules unfortunatly. I am in the contest as well remember..lol. But I will say this about wha Ive seen of your mod so far...Great colors, great design, but needs to be cleaned up "Clean up the noisey fuzz". Plus more detail. I would try and help ya out more but I cant..Sorry.

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
posted 30 June 2004 10:02 AM EDT (US)     3 / 202  
umm... I think some people may have a problem with task 4. The staff has an alpha map which doesn't work with replace texture. You will have to duplicate the brg file, open with a hex editor and replace the texture of the model.
(The texture names must have the same number of characters.)

Dnas
Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

posted 30 June 2004 10:18 AM EDT (US)     4 / 202  
Didnt realize this...thanks for the heads up Dnas...Will fix this later. Went through the tasks "Made the complete mod" to make sure they would all work but Task 4. Just figures the one I didnt think would matter would be the pain in the butt.

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
posted 30 June 2004 11:06 PM EDT (US)     5 / 202  
I will join. I know a some modding.
posted 01 July 2004 03:39 AM EDT (US)     6 / 202  
Yep I will join after the contest, I already have cleaned up "the fuzzy noise stuff" and I am working on the detail, also I might be adding a few variations I made but they need more work, we will see.

P.S
I know you can not advise or help me out on this task and I am not going to ask you to help me with it because it is my first texture mod and I am looking forward to finishing it on my own and getting that feeling of I accomplished something on my own.

posted 01 July 2004 04:00 AM EDT (US)     7 / 202  
@ Centurion_13...okay then...Ill wait till after the contest "Or when you are ready if before then" to add you to the list.

@ randomtask619...I need a Email address.

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
posted 01 July 2004 02:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 202  
buuevil@yahoo.com
posted 02 July 2004 12:59 PM EDT (US)     9 / 202  
Welcome to the NMAs2 randomtask619. You can start your tasks when ever you are ready.

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
posted 06 July 2004 10:59 AM EDT (US)     10 / 202  
ehh, sorry, I haven't been here for a while, got your e-mails and I'm excited for it to start. Let's get signed up people!
posted 06 July 2004 04:30 PM EDT (US)     11 / 202  
I sent you my e-mail a long time ago. Did you see it?

Official Member of the NMA!
posted 07 July 2004 02:22 PM EDT (US)     12 / 202  
FlipBizcut, if I could start up AOM I would gladly join, but currently I have problems with starting up my game, I have downloaded like a dozen patches and nothing different happens. So if you know a solution, just e-mail me (oteichmann@btopenworld.com) or just post it here.

P.S. Reinstalling does NOT work.

In order to control the world, I must learn about the Gods, Monsters & Heros and how they work in battle!
For I am Mythology Freak
Visit My Jedi Outcast Site OR
Visit My Forum
posted 07 July 2004 10:27 PM EDT (US)     13 / 202  
Monk...Its quite ok....Just be sure to get me that grade before sunday..

randomtask...I got your email...currently waiting on the grades...once I get them you will recieve a copy. Also next time please include in the anim.txt files a replacetexture command. I know I didnt ask for it in task one but it is quite needed...so no worries. Also...I am sorry about the NMA sigs...I can't find a way to post the BBC script so the members can just copy and paste it. Then they could get the cool black and gold effect...Will fix this soon though.

Mythology Freak...Having probs ehh? E-mail me explaining everything that happens...also list down your system specs.. "graphics card, direct x version, and all that sorts of stuff" Ill see if I can get it running right for you.

Monk is right...where is everyone? Two weeks ago everyone was screaming about wanting to join NMA...where are they now?

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ

[This message has been edited by FlipBizcut (edited 07-12-2004 @ 12:21 PM).]

posted 10 July 2004 01:05 PM EDT (US)     14 / 202  
FlipBiscuz,
if you do see waveslave, tell him to graduate me from season 1 (unless you can do it).

In order to control the world, I must learn about the Gods, Monsters & Heros and how they work in battle!
For I am Mythology Freak
Visit My Forum
posted 10 July 2004 01:52 PM EDT (US)     15 / 202  
I talked to wave about this a few weeks back and you can concider yourself graduated pretty much....So...CONGRATS..lol

Wave was having comp probs and I think it was interfereing with NMA season one...so he had to drop it. But for those who where in season one...I think it is safe to say you have graduated.

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
posted 12 July 2004 02:57 AM EDT (US)     16 / 202  
I'll join, and the cool thing is....I'm a NEWBIE modder.

E-mail is Doctorskippy@hotmail.com

ESO NAME:MrSnuggleWuffles ESO RATING:1660ish
ESO TITAN RATING:1640ish
MEMBER OF SAGESTUDIOS-SAGE SNIPPLES

The greatest swordsman in the world does not have to fear the second greatest swordsman, just the idiot thats never touched a sword in his or her life.

posted 12 July 2004 12:18 PM EDT (US)     17 / 202  
Welcome to the NMA Snipples.

If you have any questions just post here or email me...One of us will answer your questions as quick as possible.

@Mythology Freak: What happens when you start it up? Does the game not load at all or what?

If the game goes back to windows when loading then it might be your user.cfg file. I had this prob a few months back when I installed a mod that changed the menu background. If this is the case then just delete the user.cfg file....should work then. But if it is something else then just disregard this part.

If it is something else then I need more info on what is happening. Like what it does and your machines stats. Ill do my best to help out.

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ

[This message has been edited by FlipBizcut (edited 07-12-2004 @ 12:53 PM).]

posted 12 July 2004 02:24 PM EDT (US)     18 / 202  
Just sent first file

Edit:Just sent second task

Edit(AGAIN):Just sent the 3rd file.

ESO NAME:MrSnuggleWuffles ESO RATING:1660ish
ESO TITAN RATING:1640ish
MEMBER OF SAGESTUDIOS-SAGE SNIPPLES

The greatest swordsman in the world does not have to fear the second greatest swordsman, just the idiot thats never touched a sword in his or her life.

[This message has been edited by Snipples (edited 07-13-2004 @ 07:03 PM).]

posted 15 July 2004 05:50 PM EDT (US)     19 / 202  
@Snipples: Got all three of them...Will send them out to the Head Assistants and get the grades to you asap.

@randomtask619: Sorry for the long wait on your grades. Monk is having some net difficulties but he is doing his best. This goes to Snipples too...Just be patient and your grades will be sent asap. Also randomtask619, if you would like you can go ahead and do task 2 and 3...it is up to you.

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
posted 15 July 2004 06:25 PM EDT (US)     20 / 202  
if you could, my aom isnt working, just send me 3 pics, one of front, back, and side also the anim. file. Thnx guys.

-monk

posted 16 July 2004 00:04 AM EDT (US)     21 / 202  
I sent you task 2 a day or so ago.

posted 16 July 2004 03:27 AM EDT (US)     22 / 202  
@randomtask: I just realized that...sorry about that...If you want to go ahead and do task 3 then be my guest. Again sorry about that.

@Monkish Man: Will do no prob...will try and have the screens to you by tommarrow eve.

Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
posted 16 July 2004 08:57 AM EDT (US)     23 / 202  
Good news, Im just about finished my ranger thing so in about three days from now which will be monday the 16th I can probably join.
posted 16 July 2004 12:38 PM EDT (US)     24 / 202  
Flip,

1)Can't find user.cfg
2)When I start it, it either just exits, or it shows (since I have WinXP) the message saying "Send Message" and "Don't Send", then it exits.
OR: When I first tried to reinstall it (as I say it doesn't work) and play, it brings up the license saying if you agree or disagree, when I try to click on it, it instantly exits back to windows.
Hope this gives you a bit more info!

For I am Mythology Freak
Visit My Forum
posted 17 July 2004 02:09 AM EDT (US)     25 / 202  
@Flip, alright, thanks for helpin me out

@all who sent me tasks, sorry for the delay, just got my computer fixed, so, I'll be gettin reviews out soon!

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 8  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Newbie Modders Academy Season 2
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames