Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Messing Around With Granny: A Guide
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 14 May 2005 01:48 AM EDT (US)   
As I've now been informed, this, apparently, is not a new discovery, but what the hell. For those of you, like me, who didn't know, there is a way to change the cinematic textures of units without replacing the originals in gameplay.

Dnas, a gifted AOM modder, turned me onto the process which he theorized, but never did try himself. So, I followed his instructions, and, lo and behold, the process worked. Now, the solution is a little intense, but, as I said, it works. So, without further ado....

Messing Around With Granny
A Guide to Cinematic Texture Modification Without Replacing the Original

Section 1 : What You Need

• Knowledge of modding in general, such as anim and texture editing
  • Vachu's BAR Explorer
  • Edited cinematic textures
  • A hex editing program, like Programmer's Notepad

I'm going to move fast, so you'll especially have to have the first one in order to keep up.

Section 2: Getting Started

To begin, you need to have all the components involved in the process, such as the textures, anim files, GRN models, and so forth. As an example, we'll use the Arkantos unit. Keep in mind, though, that the process can be adapted to any unit with cinematic models.

First, as I said, you'll need to have edited cinematic textures prepared. If you don't know how to do that, then you'll have to look elsewhere first; I'm not going into it here. For the purpose of the example, I have three edited and converted cinematic textures which have the original names: cine a arkantos map.ddt, cine a arkantos shoulder map.ddt, and cine spear map.ddt.

Second, you'll need to have the unit's anim file. For the example, we'll need the Arkantos unit's anim file, arkantos_anim.txt. This, as well as the textures and GRN models, can be extracted using Vachu's BAR explorer. It is located in the anim.bar for AOM, anim2.bar for AOM:TT.

Third, you'll need to have at least two GRN files from the models.bar. For the example, we'll use ark.grn and ark_idlea.grn.

That's more or less all you need for now. Now things get slightly more complicated.

Section 3: The Base Granny Model

Before we get into it, a little background information. The cinematic models in AOM are different from the standard models. Cinematic models are in a format called GRN, short for Granny, while standard models are in a format called BRG, short for who the hell knows. Now, BRG models define everything right in them; the vertices and vertex positions, the textures, the movement frames, everything. The GRN models, however, according to Dnas, are different. For GRN animations, a base model defines the structure, bone positions, and textures, whereas separate animation models define how the model moves, referring back to the base model. In summary, a lot of complicated gibberish for novice modellers, I'm sure, but you don't really need to understand it in order to edit it.

To begin, open up your hex editing program. Now, open up the ark.grn file you extracted. In Programmer's Notepad, you have to select All Files {*.*} in the Files of Type dropdown box. Once opened, the file will still look much like non-sensical gibberish. Hitting the little H key for hexadecimal mode will fix that, though.

Now, scroll down the document until you come to a series of words and symbols along the right-hand side. This is where the textures are defined, and where you'll be editing.

The thing you'll need to edit here will consist of any text that matches the name of the DDT texture files you edited, namely cine a arkantos map.ddt, cine a arkantos shoulder map.ddt, and cine spear map.ddt.

Note that you won't find the DDT extension in the text. Rather, you'll find a TGA extension at times; leave it as such. The part you want to change is the actual texture name anywhere you find it. Be careful, though, and remember what the textures are called, because you'll also find that at times the text will be "Cine A Arkantos", without "Map"; leave that as it is.

Regarding the actual editing, you want to simply replace any instances of the original texture names with your own texture names. However, and this is important, you have to rename your textures so that they contain the same number of characters as the original, including spaces. For example, "Cine A Arkantos Map" has 19 characters. Thus, in our example, we'll replace it with a name 19 characters long, "Cine Levied Man Map". The others must be the same number of characters as well; we'll use "Cine Levied Man Shoulder Map" and "Cine Hasta Map" for our purposes.

Once that's done, go to your edited textures and rename them to whatever name you chose to put in the GRN file. So, for example, cine a arkantos map.ddt would become cine a levied man map.ddt.

Once all the texture names have been altered, simply save and close the GRN file.

Section 4: Referencing the Base Model

Now that the textures have been set in the base model, it's a comparatively simple but arduous task of referencing the base model. The process here is deceptively easy; you simply have to rename the GRN files. But there's a trick to it.

First, the base GRN file must be renamed, otherwise it'll simply be loaded in place of the original. Remember, the name of the base GRN model must be at the start of every animation name. For example, we'll name our base model levy.grn. Now, we have to reference that base in our idle animation. Therefore, we have to name it levy_idlea.grn (the "a" is not necessary, but can come in handy if there is more than one idle animation). Essentially, the formula for naming is: base animation name_animation name.grn.

Easy, right? Not so much. Keep in mind that we're only modifying one animation in this example; the Arkantos unit, however, has well over 50 cinematic animations. That's a lot of GRN files to rename if you want to use them all for your new unit.

Section 5: Wrapping Up

Once the GRN file editing and renaming is complete, there's still the matter of actually implementing it into the game.

First, a shadow and selection shape must be defined. This is a simple task; open up the models.bar, find a file called ark.dcl, extract it, and rename it to match whatever your base model is. For our example, we would rename it to levy.dcl. This file simply defines the size of the shadow and selection shape for the unit; it can be opened and modified with a program like Notepad.

Second, the anim file must be edited. Open up arkantos_anim.txt with Notepad or some similar text editing program. If you've added a new unit to the proto(x), or modified another unit, then you would open the anim file for that unit instead. Now, scroll down to the animation defines sections. For our example, since we've edited the cinematic idle animation, we'll scroll to the "anim Idle" section for the Arkantos unit. At the bottom of this section, you'll see a line of text that has "VisualGranny Ark_idleA". This is where the cinematic animation is defined. Now it's a simple matter of changing the "Ark_idleA" to "Levy_idleA", to match the filename of the animation you've edited, less the GRN extension.

After that, simply save and close the file. What you're basically doing in the anim file is changing the names of the cinematic animations to match the filenames you've given the edited GRN files, whether they be standard animations like walking or attacking, or the actual cinematic actions, such as talking or sleeping.

Finally, you basically just have to put the files into the Age of Mythology folder. The modified GRN and DCL files go into the C:\ .... Age of Mythology\models\ folder. The rest should be obvious.

And that, for all intents and purposes, is how to change the cinematic textures without replacing the originals during gameplay. Now, behold! The fruits of your labour!

Both the original and the modified texture simultaneously. Is that not a glorious sight?

Post any questions or commentary you might have. And remember, though this isn't a "discovery", all praise for figuring out this particular process is to be directed at Dnas; I was but the worker bee. If you want to praise me for the guide, however, I'm cool with that.

Now speak!

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
    big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 05-14-2005 @ 06:28 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 14 May 2005 02:40 AM EDT (US)     1 / 30  
    I never read the guide but looks good anyway :P
    Just wanted to reply to say how awesome that mod is. Is it from your TLA mod?

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
    posted 14 May 2005 02:47 AM EDT (US)     2 / 30  
    Not quite. If I told you anything else, I'd be forced to kill you.

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    big.vitt@gmail.com
    posted 14 May 2005 04:02 AM EDT (US)     3 / 30  

Quote:

A groundbreaking discovery has been made! That's right, you guessed it: there's finally a way to change the cinematic Granny textures without replacing the originals during gameplay!

We already knew this... I just didn't have a guide yet... which is good you made one, though.

|| argalius.elpea.net
    || Cherub at AoE3H
    || In honor of FlipBizcut
    || Mod: The Age of Crusades
    posted 14 May 2005 04:02 AM EDT (US)     4 / 30  
    I don't think it's a new discovery, but the guide is very nice nevertheless and extremely good for anyone who wants to learn the hex-editing aspect of AOM modding. Very well done !

Quote:

Now, behold! The fruits of your labour!

Impressive !
    posted 14 May 2005 05:00 AM EDT (US)     5 / 30  

Quote:

We already knew this... I just didn't have a guide yet... which is good you made one, though.

Oh.... well that's disappointing. Why didn't you make such knowledge public, then? Now I look like an ass. Thanks a lot, Argalius. Appreciate it.

*sends dog shit to every address in the Netherlands via FedEx*

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 05-14-2005 @ 05:10 AM).]

posted 14 May 2005 05:36 AM EDT (US)     6 / 30  
    WOW! This will definitely help me! Thanks, Jared!
    posted 14 May 2005 10:27 AM EDT (US)     7 / 30  

Quote:

We did?

Oh. Oops.

I was always under the impression that we knew how to do this for brgs and we didn't know about the base grn for granny files.

Oh well. It certainly wasn't spread out well enough because, I didn't know about it and many others didn't either (For example, Flip didn't... and I'm sure he can be considered an experienced modder.). And I haven't seen any grn mods yet... though I have been mostly out of touch due to the fact I'm a "retired" modder.

Dnas
    Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
    Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

[This message has been edited by Dnas (edited 05-14-2005 @ 11:29 AM).]

posted 14 May 2005 10:32 AM EDT (US)     8 / 30  

Quote:

Oh.... well that's disappointing. Why didn't you make such knowledge public, then? Now I look like an ass. Thanks a lot, Argalius. Appreciate it.

Well first of all I want to say it wasn't me who found it. But I assumed that most of the 'experienced' modders already knew this, which I got wrong. But well I don't see you pretty often in here.

No hard feelings, though.

|| argalius.elpea.net
    || Cherub at AoE3H
    || In honor of FlipBizcut
    || Mod: The Age of Crusades
    posted 14 May 2005 03:50 PM EDT (US)     9 / 30  
    I'm not angry with you, Argalius. I'm disappointed.

Quote:

Oh well. It certainly wasn't spread out well enough because, I didn't know about it and many others didn't either (For example, Flip didn't... and I'm sure he can be considered an experienced modder.). And I haven't seen any grn mods yet... though I have been mostly out of touch due to the fact I'm a "retired" modder.

Yeah. To be fair, though, I suppose I haven't visited these forums or actually talked to anybody about modding for close to a year. Although I still think someone ought to have at least made an announcement of some sort....

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 05-14-2005 @ 03:58 PM).]

posted 14 May 2005 05:10 PM EDT (US)     10 / 30  
    Just a question. I'm editing Kastor (Adult), but certain animations of his don't have Cine X Kastor Adult_AnimationName, but KastorAd_AnimationName. He even has an animation (KastorAd_x02weareiino.grn) that doesn't have a name. Could someone please tell me what to do in those cases?
    posted 14 May 2005 05:36 PM EDT (US)     11 / 30  
    What do you mean? Are you talking about inside the file, in hex mode? Or are just asking how to rename animations?

I just realized something; the whole "referencing" thing with renaming the "ark" entries may not be necessary. Therefore, you don't have to edit every animation, just the base. Makes things a hell of a lot simpler. Let me test it.

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 05-14-2005 @ 05:41 PM).]

posted 14 May 2005 05:52 PM EDT (US)     12 / 30  
    Beautiful!

It seems that you only have to rename the files to correspond with the base, not physically reference it inside. I just assumed you had to because of the "Ark" in Arkantos' GRN files. My own fault for ignorantly not checking others. I'll update the guide presently.

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    big.vitt@gmail.com
    posted 15 May 2005 12:16 PM EDT (US)     13 / 30  
    Thx. I got it now. You might have told me that earlier. I spent 2 hours just altering all those animations. :'( Valuable editing time...
    posted 15 May 2005 03:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 30  
    THIS LOOKS NICE!!!!
    could you post this as a mod???

-=Wakain=-
    posted 15 May 2005 06:23 PM EDT (US)     15 / 30  

Quote:

Thx. I got it now. You might have told me that earlier. I spent 2 hours just altering all those animations. :'( Valuable editing time...

Hey, I'd just figured it out myself. Talk to the people who supposedly already knew about it.... they could've pointed my foible out.

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    big.vitt@gmail.com
    posted 16 May 2005 00:15 AM EDT (US)     16 / 30  
    Great find...err...recap fellas. I sure the hell didnt know about this. Must of slept in the day all the 'modders got together' when they cracked the granny file modding problem.

Just in case I have slept in during any other 'modders get together'...have we cracked the adding our own civ problem yet...lol...just teasing.

But really, great job on the guide and thanks for the hard work fellas. Feel good knowing you taught this old dog a new trick.

Quote:

*sends dog shit to every address in the Netherlands via FedEx*

I don't know whats funnier...seeing all those people recieving a nicely wrapped package filled with steamy dog shit. Or watching KJ walk around scooping up all that dog shit to full-fill his threat. LMAO

£¿ïþß첩û £¤® ~ ¿ïØûîÐ £í® §üÐ줧
    Ô¿ÿmþîåñ §â££ ã §ÅÇ
    Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks.
    posted 16 May 2005 04:21 PM EDT (US)     17 / 30  

Quote:

could you post this as a mod???

Um.... no? Do you mean the texture, or what? If that's the case, then.... um, no.

Quote:

I don't know whats funnier...seeing all those people recieving a nicely wrapped package filled with steamy dog shit. Or watching KJ walk around scooping up all that dog shit to full-fill his threat. LMAO

There's a nice piece of shit.

Flip brings up a good point, though; are there any other discoveries the mysterious secret society of experienced modders have uncovered and failed to share? If so, do enlighten us please. Share your knowledge, oh wise sages.

.... I'm not being cute, by the way, I'm serious. Please, if there are, do share.

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 05-16-2005 @ 04:23 PM).]

posted 16 May 2005 04:40 PM EDT (US)     18 / 30  
    Hm... I found out how to merge AoM models and an easier way to make new models than eXtinction's guide. Do you all know that already or should I make a small guide?
    posted 16 May 2005 04:42 PM EDT (US)     19 / 30  
    My modelling knowledge is very limited; a guide would help me, I'm sure. But only if you have the time.

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    big.vitt@gmail.com
    posted 17 May 2005 04:07 AM EDT (US)     20 / 30  
    Well, basic modding tutorials etc. are already in the Library. Or if you want to learn gmax, it comes with a handful of good tutorials .
    posted 17 May 2005 04:12 AM EDT (US)     21 / 30  
    I've scratched together the basics; I can import, export, move vertexes, delete vertices, resize, that sort of thing. Nothing more complicated than that.

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    big.vitt@gmail.com
    posted 17 May 2005 04:54 PM EDT (US)     22 / 30  
    that's still more than I can!

ps.could you answer my question?

-=Wakain=-
    posted 17 May 2005 05:33 PM EDT (US)     23 / 30  
    Laquelle?
    posted 17 May 2005 06:19 PM EDT (US)     24 / 30  
    wakain, I can't answer your question unless I understand it. Post the texture I used as a mod, or what?

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    big.vitt@gmail.com
    posted 26 August 2009 06:33 AM EDT (US)     25 / 30  
    Can't find the texture names!I searched with cine a arkantos map and cine a arkantos map.ddt and found nothing!
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Messing Around With Granny: A Guide
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames