You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Little-Known Modding Tricks....
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 17 May 2005 04:10 AM EDT (US)   
As I'm sure you're all aware (or at least I hope you're all aware), I recently released a guide on how to alter textures in cinematic GRN files. I thought this was a new discovery in modding; apparently, it was not.

So I've decided to start this thread. This will (hopefully) be a place where experienced modders can share any new or little-know ideas they have about modding for Age of Mythology, or ask questions and discuss possible solutions with other modders.

I'll get the ball rolling: in AOM, when modifying textures for pre-existing BRG model units, I've found that there are limits to the areas where I can apply a player colour mask. For instance, the Hypaspist models only allow me to place player colours on the upper arms, upper chest, and kilt. Is there a way to change this to allow, say, the entire upper body to be player colour applicable? Perhaps modifying the BRG with a hex editor?

Commentary, discourse?

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com
Replies:
posted 17 May 2005 07:15 AM EDT (US)     1 / 50  
Alright, alright, I'll post it...

Easily creating a new model from scratch

1. Import an AoM model which will act as your base model.
  2. Align and scale your new model so that it fits with the AoM model.
  3. Delete all the materials on the new model.
  4. Delete all polygons with isolated vertices of the AoM model.
  5. Attach the new model to the now 'empty' model.
  6. Open the material navigator and drag a material from the base model onto selected polygons of your new model. This assigns the texture to the polygons. You can either drag one texture on all polygons or use multiple textures; i.e. drag certain textures on certain polygons. When you use ReplaceTexture it'll then only replace the texture on the polygons you assigned the respective texture to; i.e. you'll have a multi-material model. Make sure though that all polygons have been covered. (Hint: If you forget polygons, AoMED will show a black log window with green letters when you convert the 3dx to brg, otherwise it won't.) Polygons that haven't been covered will remain white.
  7. Make a (or multiple) UVW maps.
  8. Animate your new model (feel free to use bones and the Skin Modifier).

Merging two AoM models with materials will follow...
posted 17 May 2005 03:42 PM EDT (US)     2 / 50  
Okay, thanks AoMPlayer000. Anyone else? What about the player colour area modification? Possible?

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 17 May 2005 04:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 50  
Oh, yes of course. That player color thing requres that you do a rather simple reassignment of texture flags in Gmax. Load the model like you usually would, then select it and add an "edit mesh" modifier (pretty sure that is necessary). Go to select faces, and go all the way down the edit mesh menu. At the bottom there is a box for "Texture ID." Check the properties fo the multitexture that is assigned to the model; there are two or three copies of the the same map. If I remember correctly, one is for pure color that is on the texture, another for player color, and another for transparency. They are numbered. Select the faces on the mesh that you want to be for player color, and change the texture ID to the number in the multi-texture that is associated with player color. Then, save, export etc. like you would any other model.

Same thing for transparency.

My 2 cents: Transparency on the Phoenix model is done with a DDT with no alpha channel; instead, the amount of black in the texture is rendered for variable transparency.

And lets not forget editing PRTs with a hex editor.

Practice safe foruming by not posting tired.
On my todo list of mods (meaning stuff I really want to do but can't get around to yet):

Editor Modpack of some sort
Project Excelsior
Always keep in mind, all my posts are a stream of consciousness, so don't take anything I say too literally.

[This message has been edited by Lord Zorinthrox (edited 05-17-2005 @ 04:09 PM).]

posted 17 May 2005 04:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 50  
Thanks for the input, Lord Zorinthrox, but I can't find any "Texture ID" box at the bottom of the faces menu. There's a "Surface Properties" menu with numbered "Smoothing Groups", but I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to or not. No multi-textures or the like. Could it be another modifier?

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 17 May 2005 05:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 50  
    Merging two AoM models together

1. Import the model you want to attach to another model.
  2. Import the model you want to have another model attached to (order is important; you can do it vice versa but then have to adjust the number of frames manually).
  3. Attach the model (before that you should delete the two Mirror Modifiers of the two models), in "Attach Options" select the default options (which are IIRC the first one and the small box at the bottom un-ticked). The object that gets attached will lose its animations.
  4. Make a new texture that combines the two models' textures, for example:

Edit: I forgot something important:

5. Drag the newly created texture on the attached model's polygons. Again, if you leave out polygons they'll remain white and AoMED will show a black log window with green letters during the 3dx to brg conversion, which it won't when everything is fine.

6. Adjust the UVW maps accordingly, use "Move Horizontal" and "Scale Horizontal" for that purpose. Take care of the different IDs!

UVW, ID2
    UVW, ID7

7. Now you should be ready to go (animate the model, maybe add the mirror again etc.). I used that method for example for the llama rider's death animation in which the llama and the rider actually joint.

I'm aware that these are rather sloppy instructions and that they're not fully self-explanatory... Just try around and ask me if something is not clear. (BTW, I didn't really recreate the situation for this small guide, so there might be faults in it... As I said, ask if it's necessary.)

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 05-17-2005 @ 06:32 PM).]

posted 17 May 2005 07:43 PM EDT (US)     6 / 50  
The box is labeled "ID," now that I think about it. It should be right above the smoothing groups part (I think; can't check, haven't reinstalled Gmax after a computer rearrangement).

Practice safe foruming by not posting tired.
On my todo list of mods (meaning stuff I really want to do but can't get around to yet):

Editor Modpack of some sort
Project Excelsior
Always keep in mind, all my posts are a stream of consciousness, so don't take anything I say too literally.
posted 17 May 2005 10:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 50  
Okay, I see what you mean now, Lord Zorinthrox. And, by George, I think I've got it. Thanks.

But even now, yet another question presents itself. Fiddle-dee-dee! Seriously though, is there a way to make it such that low-graphic models are not loaded for modified units with low-graphic mode engaged? For example, if I made a new unit using a Hoplite's models, is there a way to prevent that unit from reverting to the low-graphic models and textures in low-graphic mode? Editing the BRG, perhaps?

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 05-18-2005 @ 00:34 AM).]

posted 18 May 2005 05:14 AM EDT (US)     8 / 50  
I'd say move the brg into the models/low folder and write "lp " in front of the name, for example "lp infantry g hoplite ...". At least the BAR Explorer shows the files that way to me; I'd suggest to try that out.
posted 18 May 2005 08:48 AM EDT (US)     9 / 50  
aomplayer,you've done a hillaric job with the"lama-warrior"
could you send him in as a mod?
I think it would look great between my serious cyclopses

-=Wakain=-
posted 18 May 2005 02:00 PM EDT (US)     10 / 50  
I haven't had a chance to try the low-poly renaming idea yet, but another question comes to mind: has anyone found out how to make new attachpoints? Or simulate attachpoints, perhaps? I recall reading something about bones or something a while ago....

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 18 May 2005 02:42 PM EDT (US)     11 / 50  
King Jared, LOTS of modders have tried to make new attachpoints, but no one has been succesful.

By the way, if you want to make a model to work as it is in low graphics, you just have to copy/paste it and rename it. Then use that model's name in the anim.

May the Force be with you...

STAR WARS

EMERGENCE OF DARKNESS

MODPACK

=================
posted 18 May 2005 03:54 PM EDT (US)     12 / 50  
I don't think we're understanding each other. I've made new units using Hoplite models that look different from Hoplites. In low graphics, though, because I used Hoplite models, the units appear as the low-graphic Hoplite units; nothing like my new units. What I want to do is make it so that my new units appear the same in both high and low graphics, but without replacing the original low-graphic models. Meaning if someone were to use my units on low graphics, they would see my units, but at the same time, if they were to use Hoplites on low graphics, they would see Hoplites, not my units. Follow?

Anyway, I figured as much for the attachpoints. Just thought I'd ask.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 05-18-2005 @ 03:55 PM).]

posted 18 May 2005 04:22 PM EDT (US)     13 / 50  
King Jared, have you tried out what I suggested?

Quote:

King Jared, LOTS of modders have tried to make new attachpoints, but no one has been succesful.

It isn't possible at all, because AoMED simply doesn't know what in the models' code defines attachpoints and what not, and thus it can't create or overwrite them either.
posted 18 May 2005 07:06 PM EDT (US)     14 / 50  
Just because AOMEd can't do it, that doesn't mean it's impossible . (Admittedly it does suggest that it's non-obvious and possibly quite tricky, but where's the fun in doing easy things? )
posted 19 May 2005 04:45 AM EDT (US)     15 / 50  

Quote:

Just because AOMEd can't do it, that doesn't mean it's impossible

Well, combined with the fact that we have no other tools it is .
posted 19 May 2005 08:38 AM EDT (US)     16 / 50  

Quote:

Just because AOMEd can't do it, that doesn't mean it's impossible

Said like a true code-cutter.

As an observation, there seems to be about 16-4 byte segments in .brg formats (just before the texture definitions), that get lost with an AOMED conversion.

Wishful thinking is that they are the extra attachpoint definitions - the only one that seems to survive an import export with no changes is the default pivot point.

Quote:

Ykkrosh

While your engaged ... I think I can fudge new civilisations but I need to tweak your AOMXMOD modification - I just need to change the name of the language.dll file - so that it doesn't destroy the original for every unsuspecting downloader.

Is that OK?

posted 19 May 2005 10:38 AM EDT (US)     17 / 50  
I say there are some terrific tricks here.
(had to say something)

-=Wakain=-

[This message has been edited by wakain (edited 05-19-2005 @ 01:43 PM).]

posted 19 May 2005 11:42 AM EDT (US)     18 / 50  
Next time use eMail, won't you... This is a nice topic, let's not spam it .

Answer is: Maybe combined with some other, really cool units I made. Problem is, some of them aren't complete yet... Things like skeletons are missing and the textures need tuning. Also I'm not committed at all to AoM modding right now, so don't expect a release that soon, sorry .

posted 19 May 2005 01:41 PM EDT (US)     19 / 50  
alright,it's just so much easier to just say it here,but I will edit my comment.
is there any chance of posting it before christmas?

-=Wakain=-
posted 19 May 2005 04:38 PM EDT (US)     20 / 50  
How do you think editing your (already posted) comment and asking another question will help ?!

I can't guarantee anything because, as I said, I'm currently not working at it. Come on, there're enough cool mods in the DL section, like the Hive Spiders by FlipBizcut .

Now please don't comment on that unless it's related to the topic .

posted 19 May 2005 06:04 PM EDT (US)     21 / 50  

Quote:

there seems to be about 16-4 byte segments in .brg formats (just before the texture definitions), that get lost with an AOMED conversion.

Hmm, interesting... Do you have any examples of BRGs with which this happens? When I try it with some models from the AoM demo (just reading/writing internally, rather than going through the painful 3ds max import/export system, though the effect should be the same), it comes out identically to how it went in, and no data is lost; so I can't reproduce the effect here. <insert unhappy but non-angry non-animated smiley>

Quote:

I think I can fudge new civilisations but I need to tweak your AOMXMOD modification - I just need to change the name of the language.dll file - so that it doesn't destroy the original for every unsuspecting downloader.

Is that OK?

Yep, please feel free to do whatever you want with it - I originally stole the .exe from someone else anyway (to get around the Safedisc encryption)
posted 19 May 2005 09:42 PM EDT (US)     22 / 50  
I was playing around with construction models at the time and the problem could well be with the import/export scripts (I didn't have your single material ones at the time). The section I mentioned stands out on the construction .brg's and has the following format (taken from building construction dockA.brg)

0100 0000 0E26 EA03 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100
0000 0F26 EA03 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 1026 EA03 0100 0000 1126 EA03 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 1126 EA03 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100
0000 1326 EA03

the format 0100 XX26 EA03 looked like some sort of flag setting, and there just happens to be enough space for the 24 attachpoints defined in the .exe. I wondered if it was used to switch attachpoints on and off?

Anyway, after converting to .3ds, importing, remodelling, exporting and converting back to .brg this section ended up all null and attach statements no longer worked.

posted 20 May 2005 06:42 AM EDT (US)     23 / 50  
I'll try it,sorry didn't thought of that.
I just found you lama warrior funny.

-=Wakain=-
posted 21 May 2005 02:58 PM EDT (US)     24 / 50  
What the hell is this?

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

- General Dwight D. Eisenhower
posted 21 May 2005 09:43 PM EDT (US)     25 / 50  
Please, don't post if you don't have a clue.

BTW, I forgot to say that you made a nice thread, KJ .

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Little-Known Modding Tricks....
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames