You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Permanently changing the size of a unit??
posted 12 March 2006 11:43 PM EDT (US)   
Is it possible to edit anything to permanently change the size of a unit? so that say in game when i villager builds a wall the wall will appear larger than normal or a helepolis will appear very large when built?
Replies:
posted 12 March 2006 11:53 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10  
I dont know if it can be done in the editer or not ,But it may be possable to resize it in Gmax and export it larger ,From what Ive heard anyway. I want to do the same thing with some unites to make new Titan models .
posted 13 March 2006 09:31 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10  
yeh i was kinda thinkin i might have to use gmax but i've only used it once before an all i managed to do was load either a hoplite body model or a head model and i couldnt load the texture i wanted to play with. not that in this case i would touch the texture. basically i'm tryin to make it so walls are slightly bigger so they look cool and helepolis are slightly bigger so it looks cool when theres siege going on.
posted 13 March 2006 11:05 AM EDT (US)     3 / 10  
Same here ,I dont know alot about Gmax and Im too busy with my new Titan mods to learn right now, I guess if I want it done Im going to have to learn Gmax .
posted 13 March 2006 11:28 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10  
GMAX isn't very hard, pretty straight forward for the basic things atleast. Anyway, you could just resize it in GMAX but you'll have to change it slightly, otherwise the export script won't notice any changes and it'll not be changed..

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 13 March 2006 11:31 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10  
cool would you be able to write me a little tutorial on how to do it cuz i sort of dont really know what i'm doing with gmax i'm like level 1 Gmax.
posted 13 March 2006 07:26 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10  
{quote}
GMAX isn't very hard, pretty straight forward for the basic things atleast. Anyway, you could just resize it in GMAX but you'll have to change it slightly, otherwise the export script won't notice any changes and it'll not be changed..

If you do that for a unite will you have to make new animations.

posted 14 March 2006 01:26 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10  

Quote:

cool would you be able to write me a little tutorial on how to do it cuz i sort of dont really know what i'm doing with gmax i'm like level 1 Gmax.

I already did that.

Quote:

If you do that for a unite will you have to make new animations.

No, the animation will remain there. Although if you heavily change a model you could end with a messed up animation. But that isn't the case with just resizing.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 18 March 2006 05:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10  
@Argie: Gmax straight-forward??? The UI alone gets me in circles. (Blender forever! )

Anyway...
It actually will mess with the animation. If you scale a unit (and you have to scale the vertices directly otherwise the export script won't pick it up as the model itself hasn't changed) the animations do not change.
That is a bad thing. If one vertex moves from the bottom of the model to the top and you halve the height, it will move from the bottom to twice the height.

The way to work around this is to use the fact that modifiers are picked up by the script. There is a convenient modifier called XForm. Modifiers - Parametric - XForm.

That will add an entry to your modifier stack (Gmax incorrectly calls it "modifier list" but a last-in first-out setup is called a stack) called XForm. Expand it and you will find two things: Gizmo and Center.

Center allows you to adjust the point that the transformations center upon (not the pivot point). If you move the center near a unit's head, it will scale and rotate around the head.

If you select Gizmo, you will be able to move the model as a whole (after animations are applied, which is why they do not get screwed up) in such a way that the export script still picks it up.

So, to scale an object, first move the center to the point where the unit's feet touch the ground. This avoids nuisances with having to readjust the unit's vertical height. Then, select Gizmo and scale.

Export, etc.

Another advantage of storing this in a modifier is the duplicating ability. You can right click the modifier, select Copy. Then, open your next model, right-click the stack, select Paste.
This way you can adjust all the models equally.

Dnas
Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

posted 18 March 2006 05:42 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10  

Quote:

Gmax incorrectly calls it "modifier list" but a last-in first-out setup is called a stack

They do call it a "modifier stack" (well, at least in the 3ds max help files, but it should be the same in gmax) - you're probably misinterpreting the words "Modifier List" which appear in the drop-down list of modifiers that you can apply
posted 19 March 2006 09:57 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10  
Wow. I'm an idiot. I ought to pay more attention to whether something has a little arrow at the side. Never noticed that before.

Bleh, they should label it something like Add a Modifier.

Dnas
Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Permanently changing the size of a unit??
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames