Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My take on a possible aom bridge
posted 29 July 2011 00:53 AM EDT (US)   
(inspired by eurotool)

Now I know throughout aom's exsistence there have probably been countless bridge theories. Things just aren't as solid as they seem in aom (objects). You can't manipulate elevation in the way you want to. But I do have a theory that sounds plausible, and I beileve can be used within aom's capability. It works like this.

How can you have a "solid" model interact with another "solid" model.?

You use attachments in modding.

What if we could have such a unit (bridge) that whenever another unit (person) comes in contact with it, the cinematic block that is attached to the unit changes into the walking animation of the same unit, and walks accross the bridge. Now, there would have to be a timed teleport accross the bridge directly to the other side where the unit could appear. I know this is a very complex way of putting it and not very realistic but it is a start? And by the way while we're at it, let's discuss other bridge theories, and why they may or may not work. (of course you couldn't attack on the bridge and it would still just create the illusion of being on a bridge)

My ideas: A walkable-through terrain raise and only walkable on the top.

Rasing elevation out of the side of other elevation.

Somehow making a legit solid unit.

(I've also discovered that with water the rule is... if a unit can walk over it, a boat cant go over it. (and vice versa))

Another option we could use for scenarios if this really is impossible is just have a looping auto sand shift that detects boats on the water and shift them across the land. But thats defeating my point. Just saying.

[This message has been edited by aom eXPert (edited 07-29-2011 @ 00:56 AM).]

Replies:
posted 29 July 2011 01:49 AM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
You could use an external garrison and have the attachpoint move across the bridge I think. It would stand still and still require a bit of triggering but it could work decently. Unless we do find a way to put the OverrideAnimation action on a unit easily in-game then it'd have to be standing or use cinematic models.

You can make decent terrain modifications with triggers (at least in singleplayer don't know about multiplayer) and find a way to create a bridge that switches, at least with land and land (water would be much much more difficult).

Maybe with some massive glitch we could trick the game into allowing any unit to walk over it.

Of course those are mostly hypothetical, I know one way that kind of works but is exceedingly exceedingly difficult. You could have a unit that goes to the bridge be rotated to face it, pitched upwards a bit and transformed into a unit that would throw itself, then that unit healed to full and transformed back into the first unit. That would work to create a unit going over the bridge, at least I'm pretty sure but I haven't tried anything quite like that. (though animating it would be difficult)

And the water thing is not quite unknown at all. Water checks for water and Land checks for not water (and passability)

[This message has been edited by L33TSkillz (edited 07-29-2011 @ 01:51 AM).]

posted 29 July 2011 11:28 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
You could use an external garrison and have the attachpoint move across the bridge I think. It would stand still and still require a bit of triggering but it could work decently.
Exactly what I'm trying to convey.
And the water thing is not quite unknown at all. Water checks for water and Land checks for not water (and passability)
What if we could somehow disable this rule. Since boats dont have to touch actual land to move, what if we were able to override the passibility rule for boats, and make them go through land like it's nothing? The closest idea that I can think of would be a simple remodification of all of aom's ships to be able to go on land, which I know is possible would modding. But still, quite unrealistic as the boats would still need to travel across any land points, including a "land" bridge. And to mention that would screw up the whole point of boats.

posted 29 July 2011 02:18 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
There are three modes of passability, land, water and air. Land moves on passable land, water moves on water and air moves through anything. There's no amphibious mode.

And you can make them go on land but then land units can't go on that land.

Of course you could easily just make air units that you would change them into, that aren't tied to the ground and just move over/under it.
posted 09 November 2015 10:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
Unarchived for present theories?

like brony's

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » My take on a possible aom bridge
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames