Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Legends of Middle Earth EE Port
posted 05 March 2016 00:37 AM EDT (US)   
I've been working on an EE port for the old Liquid Fire Studios' Legends of Middle Earth mod recently and was wondering if anyone who worked on the mod is still around.

I'm fairly new to this line of work but getting permission and giving complete credit is very important to me (as a researcher in RL). I have also seen some tense situations arise with people porting old HG mods to the Steam Workshop.

The problem is, I can't seem to find any of the original creators of this mod. I sent an email to Liquid Fire and it bounced back. I'm guessing there isn't anyone on the receiving end anyway. So my question for the community is how should I proceed here? The last thing I want to do is act against the wishes of the OC creators.

If anyone has any advice (or better yet, worked on the original mod) please let me know.

[This message has been edited by Callistonian (edited 03-05-2016 @ 00:38 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06 March 2016 08:34 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6  
I'll contact EazY_Ben for you.

[This message has been edited by CeaseDaFire (edited 03-06-2016 @ 08:40 PM).]

posted 07 March 2016 08:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6  
posted 07 March 2016 08:58 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6  
You certainly have my permission - I think the rest of the team would be more than happy for this to go ahead too. It might be a good idea to contact Stephen Caines or GaurdianofIsis as they played the biggest roles after the Fellowship of the Ring was released. My input after that was somewhat limited although I think they used some of my maps in TTT. I would say go for it! I think the team would be delighted to hear you're doing this.
posted 07 March 2016 10:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6  
Thanks for the reply EaZy. I'm not sure how to pm people on HG (or if that's even possible). Is there a specific way to get in touch with Stephen or GaurdianofIsis?

To give you a little more information about the project: my goal right now is to convert the units (textures, models, materials, proto, text, icons, anim, sound) and possibly some of the scenarios from the campaigns (assuming I can get them to work, I haven't tried yet). I will not be attempting to rebuild a total conversion for EE as 1) I doubt I have the skill or time to do that and 2) my goal with this unit compilation is to make it compatible with several other mods on the workshop so I won't be editing the techtree, etc. In other words, the vanilla game will be left entirely as is with the units only available in the editor. I might consider making the buildigns/units buildable/trainable in some fashion if that's something people want to see. I may even try to port the entire mod with the permission of the studio but again I'm not sure that's possible.

I'm getting some interesting results with the unit conversion. Some of them appear to work fine. Some are harder to tell. There are a few rather hilarious glitches to work out (the Balrog is throwing pine trees as his ranged attack). I'm pretty sure some of the textures didn't make it through the conversion so I'm still working on that.

Do you happen to have a Steam profile? It would be great to be able to quickly share my results with someone who worked on the mod. Otherwise I will try to post some screen shots here of some of the problem units I found.

*Also, thanks for facilitating CeaseDaFire!

[This message has been edited by Callistonian (edited 03-07-2016 @ 10:37 PM).]

posted 14 March 2016 09:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6  
Ah yes, Flipbizcuts Balrog mod! I'm sure he'd find it throwing pine trees extremely funny if he were still with us. I'm not sure how to go about contacting them - although I can say with a fair degree of certainty that they'd be happy for you to do this. Unfortunately I don't have a steam profile - but it'd be great to see some screenshots!
posted 05 December 2016 07:23 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6  
http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=19,29820,,10

Maybe collaborate?

[This message has been edited by Captain Obvious (edited 12-05-2016 @ 08:21 AM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Legends of Middle Earth EE Port
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames