Please login or register

Deathmatch Discussions

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: DM Guide long post
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 08 June 2003 10:59 PM EDT (US)   
In this guide will be hints, tactics, and strategies I have used a great deal. Hopefully they will help you as much as they have me. Using these things may not make you always win but they will certainly help. I do not claim to be the best at deathmatch and do not claim that this guide will make you a top dm’er, but it certainly can’t hurt. This is a multiple part guide. I will go by step by step into each phase of the deathmatch: Economy, Raiding, Military, Rules of Engagement, and Unit Grouping. Also I will present a basic start up and strategy for each god, along with hints for that god. I will also add a few team strategies that work effectively. I will also present helpful hints and tips that are vital in helping you reach your potential as a player. Whether a rookie just learning or a seasoned veteran these things will help you. As we look into these things just remember a few things.

1.Deathmatch is more about reactions then strategy. During the heat of battle your reactions and instincts kick in. You do not what you know but what you’ve done other times through your experience.
2.Don’t be afraid to try new things. These strategies for each god I will present are just basic outlines that I know will work from my experience. Patches change the game strategies change as well.
3.Finally something that a good friend of mine once wrote.
“And remember, no one is unbeatable, the map, and more importantly, the decisions that are made on too little information play a crucial role in determining the outcome. The best we can do is to make the decisions most likely to succeed, while remembering that they may not be the right decisions for this specific case. This is what is called playing the odds, and even the best odds players lose sometimes.” –Staffa
My Goal is to hopefully give you the right information to help you make the right decisions giving you the best possible chance at success.

The Deathmatch Start Up
Age of Mythology DM differs from other Age series games in that you do not already start in the final age. You must advance to the Mythic Age by building buildings, picking a god, and advancing.
1.Archaic-Classical Requires Temple
2.Classical-Heroic Requires Armory
3.Heroic-Mythic Requires Market

Most of the time by the time you Mythic you already want to have an army starting to form. You want to be set up in the right place to give you the best opportunity to win. This requires looking at the map, seeing where the town centers are as your not microing your builders in the early stages of the game. There is one exception to this and that is that some Egyptian strategies require advancing to Mythic as fast as possible.

Practice your start up! Get fluid with it, and get it down pat. I cannot stress this enough. Having a good start up that your fluid with helps immensely. Getting each second you can out of your start up helps out later on down the road.

Later on we will look into a start up for each specific god. But right now since you have the basics down lets move on to the DM economy. It is often overlooked, but to me the economy is the most important part of the game.

The Deathmatch Military
Military is the great aspect of deathmatch. You get to build one fairly soon in the game and have a large on throughout the game. It’s not always who has the biggest army that wins, but who uses their army the best.
You want to try and always be at your pop limit during the game. This ensures that you have the biggest army you can have. Also keep your army active. An idle army does you no good. Keep it busy and moving, by doing this you’ll keep the enemy busy watching your army, so even if you don’t attack you take away time he could be doing something else.
Be population efficient. This means that the normal counter for a unit isn’t always the BEST counter for a unit. Here’s what I mean say your Greek facing an Egypt opponent. What is the best unit you can use to kill slingers, a Hippokan. But hoplites also do great against slingers and by using 1 less pop slot you can have a lot more of them. Also using spearman to fight cavalry units instead of camels. Spearmen are much cheaper and much more efficient.
Use your unit speed to its fullest. If your fighting a slower unit, like a elephant with chariot archers, just simply keep moving your archers out of the elephants attack range. Attack the elephant and keep running.
Do not fight in your enemies’ tower and castle fire. Don’t do it unless your 100% sure you will win the battle. Doing this could cause the momentum of the game to go his way if you lose your whole army.
Do and Do not fight losing battles. Here’s what I mean. If your fighting on 2 fronts say one in the middle of the map and the other by his town center which will help you more if you won? The fight by his town center, so why does it matter then if you lose the fight in the middle? It doesn’t so go ahead and fight it knowing you’ll lose. It will keep him busy and his focus off the real battle. BUT if there is only 1 battlefront if you find yourself losing draw back to your tower/castle fire and don’t sacrifice your whole army running into his. If you see your outnumbered draw back, remass, and regroup.
Last but not least always make your enemy think you have a bigger army then you really do. If he thinks your stronger then you are he won’t attack. This time allows you to build up your army before the next battle.

Rules of Engagement
Always fight with a purpose. Fighting without a purpose is meaningless fighting. Always fight with the purpose that winning or losing the battle will accomplish something you want it to.
Fight in multiple places at the same time. Keep your enemy busy. If you know what your doing and send in armies at 2 different places, he is going to have to adjust to your plans while putting his plans on hold.
Have your army mixed with 2-4 different units. Always have a counter for his counter. Don’t just mass units and throw them into the battle. Have a reason why you’re making them and then use them for that reason.
Fight where you want to fight not where he wants to fight. Fighting where you want will always help you win the battle. Also always try not to fight in your town, as this will clog your economy and base procedures. Either fight at his base or at your forward base.
Save your god powers. Don’t always use them immediately. Save them for the time when they will best help you win the game. For example if you get flaming weapons don’t use it right away. Save it till there’s a decisive battle that you absolutely have to win.
Use choke points for his melee units (hand to hand). Don’t fight in an open field if you're outnumbered. Funnel his units in a choke point making them fight few by few and you greatly increase your chances for victory.

Raiding
Raiding is a very important part of the game. Games are won on who raids more. Raiding is the battle behind the battle to take out your opponent’s foundations. After all how well can a building stand with no foundations?
Always try and raid with multiple types of units. This way it is harder for him to counter. Lets say you went into his base with just a few rams and he had axe men waiting… your rams are dead with very little damage done to him. But lets suppose you have 10 cavalry units with those rams. Since cavalry counters axe men your rams will be free to do their damage.
One thing I like to do is split up my raiding party. I send in 1 group first and run them through to draw his units attention. After their out of the army from chasing my first group I bring in my second group which is the real units that will do damage.
Distraction while raiding is also a good tactic. Raid 2 or 3 places at the same time. By the time he gets to your third group it will already have done significant damage.
When raiding always kill his villagers first. An army with no economy wont be alive very long. Next go after houses or military buildings. Only go after a town center if you’re sure you can bring it down. If you just attack it and it isn’t destroyed you accomplished nothing but wasting some of your resources.
Finally the goal of raiding is to hurt your opponent or at the very least keep him busy. The best micro’er isn’t the one that always wins. It’s whoever can keep his opponent the busiest with your army and the most confused. If he’s constantly using his time to deal with what your doing, he will never have the time he needs to do the things he wants, giving you the advantage.

Unit Grouping
Unit grouping is very important. Being able to grab what units you need quickly will drastically help. I usually have my army on numbers 1-3 and then my buildings on numbers 4-6. By doing this I keep a great deal of time I can use for other more important tasks.
Say where in the middle of a battle and I see my opponent has archers. By having my longhouses on group 4 I can simply hit #4 and make cavalry out of all my longhouses while keeping my eyes on the battle so I can micro my army to its maximum.

The Deathmatch Economy
Most people look at the DM style of play and say, “Economy why do you need an economy? You start with all those resources.” To those people I say this if they ever play DM. You’ll lose if you don’t get an economy. Plain and Simple.
When do you start getting an economy??? I like to start as soon as I Mythic. As soon as I Mythic I que up villagers in my town center and send them to my closest gold pile. As my other town centers get built I que up villagers in them and get them on food and wood.
Through the game you should have on average 40 villagers and 20 gold caravans. If you have 3 town centers. If you find yourself with more or less adjust accordingly. You need to balance your economy according to your strategy. For example if I am Zeus and going heavy infantry I will need more food then wood. This is how I normally like to balance my economy.
1.20 gold caravans
2.10 more villagers on gold just incase my trade dies so I am not left without gold intake
3.Whichever resources I am using more of out of food and wood I put 20 villagers on. IE: going heavy infantry I’ll put 20 on food
4.10 villagers on the other resource, either food or wood, that the 20 villagers aren’t already on. I do this just incase I need to switch units to counter my enemy. Since I’ll have accumulated a decent amount over the course of a game it will give me some time in which I can make units and switch my villagers over without giving me any down time in production.

Don’t rely on market trading for your sole way of gathering gold. Trade caravans are easily raided and if you lose your markets you will find yourself without gold for a while which can really determine a game.
Use your market to your advantage. If you find yourself with extra wood and no gold sell some wood off. If you have extra gold but no food buy some food. Don’t be afraid to use your market to maximize your economy. Sometimes trading at a market instead of waiting for the villagers to gather the resource you need can give you that head start on your opponent you need to win a game.
Remember to use your god bonuses to your advantage. For example if you choose Skadi as a minor god you get winter harvest, which increases your farming production. Therefore you should not hunt but should go immediately to farming. This is called knowing your god. If you know your god you know the technologies that come with choosing him/her and can best use your economy.
Keep your villagers at a protected site. This doesn’t necessarily mean by your town centers. An enemy will always raid your town centers first. I like to have my villagers close to my army if I can for protection.
Always remember each game is different. Different situations arise which demand different solutions. Adapt your economy accordingly. Some games you won’t be able to trade, so build more villagers for gold mining. You must be flexible in your strategy otherwise you will find you opponents adapting to you and you will be the one losing.

Replies:
posted 08 June 2003 11:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 29  
more to come at later date
posted 08 June 2003 11:19 PM EDT (US)     2 / 29  
Nice guide...

Do not try to stand, for I will knock you back down.
-Sir Ajh

NoFx Clan Website

NoFx Clan Webmaster

posted 09 June 2003 00:33 AM EDT (US)     3 / 29  
damn chromage you dont come across as someone this generous... thanx a hellluva lot i'm new to DM this will be helpful as hell
posted 09 June 2003 07:39 AM EDT (US)     4 / 29  
Heh..i'm 1700ish and this helped me as well

I find that i'm having a lot of troubly with "knowing my god", "economy", and "raiding." As a typical Loki player i can raid well with wolves. But i can't keep them alive for long, and i can't raid from multiple directions while keeping my main army alive

Hey chromage, couple questions:

1. Unit grouping - why do you group your units from 1-3? I don't see much reason in that. Here's what i do:
1 - forward longhouses.
2 - temple.
3 - Fenris Wolves when they come out, so i can micro them well.

Could you give examples of how you'd group as Norse? Also, what do you think of choosing Heimdall instead of (the other one) as a 2nd age god as Loki?

I'll ask more if you answer these

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 09 June 2003 07:49 AM EDT (US)     5 / 29  
Great post.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
posted 09 June 2003 03:54 PM EDT (US)     6 / 29  
Excellent guide, chromage

Angel Socvazius | Chief Executive Officer, HeavenGames LLC
"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!"
HeavenGames | Join the Facebook Group | The HG Blog
Soccy's Periodic Obsession: ROFLCon
posted 09 June 2003 04:13 PM EDT (US)     7 / 29  
exactly, very good job chrome, i just used one of htose tips in a game, and i won!lol

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
posted 09 June 2003 05:30 PM EDT (US)     8 / 29  
Gee Chrome, you were never this nice back in the RoR days. You're mellowing in your old age

Nice guide, I learned all my previous DM stuff from watching your rec game. Keep it coming, heh.

posted 09 June 2003 05:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 29  
hey traunt whut name u using on eso bro?? look me up im zi_chromage either hanging in dm room or expert room
posted 09 June 2003 05:42 PM EDT (US)     10 / 29  
Shiva reply to you

1. Unit grouping - why do you group your units from 1-3? I don't see much reason in that. Here's what i do:
1 - forward longhouses.
2 - temple.
3 - Fenris Wolves when they come out, so i can micro them well.

Could you give examples of how you'd group as Norse? Also, what do you think of choosing Heimdall instead of (the other one) as a 2nd age god as Loki?

I use unit grouping as following

#1 wolves or main army group
#2 as either second back up group for army ie archers... or for main town center
#3 main military buildings ie longhouses
#4 temples
#5 secondary military buildings ie hill forts/castles
#9 my trade carts just incase my markets die or someone raids em

about the god choice forsetti i beleive is the god w/ healing spring the other choice. He gives your ulfs upgrades that come in handy much more then hemidals so i use forsetti

next ones are made just gotta type em up.. kinda long tho so whenever i have a free night which isnt tonight or tommorrow. hopefully by next week i'll either have the tips/tacits up, the team strategies, or the civ strategies

[This message has been edited by x2_chromage (edited 06-09-2003 @ 05:46 PM).]

posted 09 June 2003 07:31 PM EDT (US)     11 / 29  
Chromage,

I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on how to beat a combo of TA - Portable Rams - Fenris Wolves when you are greek.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
posted 09 June 2003 09:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 29  
Great to see some good players setting aside some time to help those who are not as skilled.

Vigilance_ca
It's all about vigilance
Humans are both the smartest and dumbest organisms on the planet
posted 10 June 2003 00:56 AM EDT (US)     13 / 29  
Now we need a rm guide... lol

Do not try to stand, for I will knock you back down.
-Sir Ajh

NoFx Clan Website

NoFx Clan Webmaster

posted 10 June 2003 08:41 AM EDT (US)     14 / 29  
Thanks for that

Yesterday i played a game against Teapot (Hades) and me (Loki) where he pretty much walled in half the map..okay, 3/4'ths the map and i was stuck with very little space.

Against a waller like that..or against anyone, should i claim my territory with long walls and rax/HF's behind them?

posted 11 June 2003 05:37 PM EDT (US)     15 / 29  
sparta- heroe's tox/cav

shiva no the key to beating a waller is speed be quick be agreesive and never give him time to set up

posted 11 June 2003 07:07 PM EDT (US)     16 / 29  
I guess I have to perfect my micro.

Let's say your opponent sneaks in like 20 wolves into your town - not even Bellerophon would kill more than 6 of them. And the speed doesn't make my medusae able to catch up with them.

[This message has been edited by GloryofSparta (edited 06-11-2003 @ 07:08 PM).]

posted 11 June 2003 07:15 PM EDT (US)     17 / 29  
dont let him mass 20 wolves.. be agreesive take down his temples catch his wolves in groups on 5 or so... 20 wolves take time to mass and alot of pop he will be hurting in other areas
posted 11 June 2003 09:38 PM EDT (US)     18 / 29  
nice giude it really helped me out, i got one question is it good to use unit formations? does it help at all?
posted 11 June 2003 10:22 PM EDT (US)     19 / 29  
i've never used unit formations in this game
posted 12 June 2003 08:48 AM EDT (US)     20 / 29  
Only use if if an insolent enemy's hiding 1 ship in the sea :P

posted 12 June 2003 08:23 PM EDT (US)     21 / 29  
Chromage, you posted this here and at PAoM. Why not MFO? You post there enough.

rey_yer

Life does not treat you fairly or unfairly. It merely is. It is up to each of us to be fair or unfair.
posted 12 June 2003 09:14 PM EDT (US)     22 / 29  
im done with MFO to many flamers
posted 14 June 2003 04:40 PM EDT (US)     23 / 29  
Good post Chromage this helps me a lot (actually in Supremacy as well ^^)

Thanks again!

posted 02 July 2003 04:05 PM EDT (US)     24 / 29  

Quote:

posted 06-08-03 11:01 PM EDT (US) 1 / 23
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
more to come at later date

Ummm when is this later date chro?

posted 02 July 2003 05:48 PM EDT (US)     25 / 29  
been pretty busy im off friday so hopefully should have the civ guide up by weekend
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Deathmatch Discussions » DM Guide long post
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames