Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to River Civilzation
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 17 November 2007 12:01 PM EDT (US)   
Valor's Guide to River Civilization

Before you freak out!
River Civilization is the most popular advanced setup game. This is really for people who play advanced setup, and to those who don't imagine it not as a nooby game (which I'm sure you do), but as simply a different supremacy map.

Overview
River Civilization is the most popular and one of the most classic advanced setup games in age of mythology, I have no idea who created the first one and I'm not sure anyone but the creator does. However, in this guide I will explain how to effectively win on this amazing map. Before I go into detail I'll explain the general concepts:

• Teamwork this is a 3v3 game, teamwork is very important
  • The River They dont call it River Civilization without reason, win the river and the game will basically be yours.
  • Transportation Always have a plan! What if you don't get water?What if your base is ambushed?
  • Land Invasion The river control will help, but if you don't get it and even once you have it, you must always consider the land
  • Territory Plan out your territory for maximum efficiency

These are the main points I will be talking about, first up: Teamwork.

Teamwork
There are many variations of river civ, but I have never seen one that doesn't have a 3v3. In the beginnings of the game you should always get your allies talking and plan out where you're going to settle. Don't think you can win this on your own. I have seen three good players lose simply because my team had talked better and planned out our attacks. I have also seen teammates settle very close together and end up competing for resources. Not much has to be said even simple flares are fine. I recommend playing this game with friends or clanmates, people who will communicate with you well. Well this topic is short, but it's basically self-explanatory.

The River
As I say to my teammates, win the river, win the game. The River could be the most important part to winning, but how exactly should one win it? With ships of course! Don't waste precious resources that could be used for ships on towers, and rather build as many as you can until the river is yours. Never have your naval fight in classical, in fact don't even build any arrow ships in classical and just wait. If you do get attacked din classical just put a fishing ship in your dock so that it kills the weak arrow ships. The best way to win the river is to FM, a FM is kind of hard to do on this map so most people do a FH and spam siege ships. I myself, do a semi FM and put some people on gold and wood in classic then go straight to mythic. This way I have the Champion siege ships and can pound any buildings within 30 meters of the coast. If you are Egyptian you are at a very large advantage as your fishing ships can easily maneuver around and put up docks nearly everywhere. More docks=more ships= more winning! The river is in fact so crucial that instead of going through Apollo for his excellent god power, would recommend Dionysus for his Scylla's which can turn the battle in your favor. Once you have the sea, you can transport units and the Underworld Passage isn't as important. So remember:

• Do not fight in classic
  • Best time to fight is Mythic
  • Always go for good water gods

Follow these rules and the river (and the game) will be yours!

Transportation
Transportation on river civ, just like any other game is very important. The main thing about river civ though , is that you won't usually have enemy units on your island so you will have to cross water to get to them. The most traditional way, and generally the most obvious is by boat. Transport Ships, Long boats, Leviathans, etc. To do this it is best if you have won water, in which case it will not be a problem as there will be no ships, or towers to kill your boats. If you have no however then you must pick your time carefully, plan when to do it and most importantly use the shortest distance. But even if you have only a small space to go, don't be jumpy, as their is nothing more annoying then losing your 30 troops at sea. Hitler calculated the English Channel was only 21 miles at its shortest point but never dared risk it as air resistance was to much. There may not be air resistance, but you never know what could be lurking just outside your LOS. So always scout the point, and always use the shortest point to ferry your troops if you have not won the water. If there are towers blocking you then get some siege on it, or even send a flying unit to distract fire. However, transport ships are not used as much as you think, a lot of people use godpowers. Underworld Passage is one of the best godpowers, but I have seen it been stupidly used so many times. The beauty of this power is in the fact that you can transport any unit through at any time as long as both sides stand. Knowing this, don't try to do anything stupid like putting it right in the middle of someones base. Not only will it be destroyed extremely quickly, but also there are 3players on the other team, depending on the age, they can have up to 12 different godpowers. Which unless countered (with rain or eclipse, etc) can totally destroy your "surprise attack". Use your Underworld Passage more tactically at a point where you can build up so that your attack doesn't rely on the passage and you can hold your ground as long as it takes. Another commonly used godpower is vortex, god this is annoying. Most commonly used for the same type of "surprise attack" I tell people not to use with Underworld Passage, but its ok this is a different godpower, you get 3 uses and they are all quite quickly recharged. I also recommend using this power defensively, as one of the 12 powers I mentioned which can ruin a poor use of Underworld Passage. Nothing really counters vortex, except for vortex itself then the battle really comes down to whoever has the bigger army which you should always have. The only other transport power I can think of right now is Shifting Sands which should absolutely never be used to transport your enemies army. It only will move about 4 of them and that is just a total waste. No, I recommend using it to transport villagers to build up, or soldiers to clinch a crucial battle. It also can save your allies if they get ambushed, in fact using this power I once saved the last villager of my ally and moved them to a much safer territory. I don't consider rocs a godpower, but I consider them OP on this map. Use them however you want, they only hold 15 and are tough nuts to crack. No advice here only don't be really cheap and watch out for priests! A last comment is to always have a backup transport for your villagers. Anything can happen in river civ and if you villagers get attacked, you don't just leave them to die. Always have some transport waiting for them so they can live on to fight another day. This is all you'll need to know about transportation.

Land Invasion
This is obviously very self explanatory, and as I just explained transportation there is little left to say. You need a good land invasion to back up your good river invasion. It may be difficult to do both things at once which is why I recommend discussing amongst your team who will go in on land, and who at sea. Lot's of people will just land on one of the islands and attack, but they are the ones who will not win. Conquering an island isn't a single army job but more of "siege". land your troops and some villagers and dig in. Build rax, fortresses (or whatever god you are) take a town center, and set it up for a good invasion. Now you just slowly take over little pieces o land until the island and the game, are yours. Not much else to say to this other then that tip to build up before you invade.

Territory
Last, but certainly not least is the section about territories. I have played many games of River Civilization and I have seen many different uses of territory and I will tell you what is in my opinion the best thing to do. A lot of people build a town center and then use that small area for everything: military, economy, everything! I strongly do not recommend this, as once you are attacked there, everything suffers. When I play, I expand a lot I usually end with 12 settlements, but I have won the game. I settle in one spot first and then expand to an area where I have most of economy settled, an area where I have most of my military, and an area that is strictly for research. This is a much more efficient system that allows me to micromanage my units a lot easier.I recommend putting you economy farther away from the rest so that it is harder to be invaded, and always have a way out! Don't get stuck somewhere! By dividing your territories in these "sectors" it will be much easier for victory.

Let me know if I didn't include something!

V
is for
~Victory~

[This message has been edited by Xx_Valor_xX (edited 11-17-2007 @ 02:12 PM).]

Replies:
posted 17 November 2007 12:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 50  
Zelda and Escapes, unfortunately, are the most popular advanced setup games...

P.S. I've played this a few times, never lost yet?

River Civ is easy for the most part because most the people who play it have no idea how to play supremacy, playing them in a supremacy-related game is easy..
posted 17 November 2007 12:51 PM EDT (US)     2 / 50  
Obviously I must defend my guide...
Zelda and Escapes, unfortunately, are the most popular advanced setup games...
I took a five day survey and River Civ was hosted the most.
I've played this a few times, never lost yet?
I don't know...
Are you asking me?
River Civ is easy for the most part because most the people who play it have no idea how to play supremacy, playing them in a supremacy-related game is easy..
I have played some good people, this guide is to help the ones that aren't as good.

V
is for
~Victory~

[This message has been edited by Xx_Valor_xX (edited 11-17-2007 @ 12:52 PM).]

posted 17 November 2007 12:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 50  
I dont think anybody cares about river civ except people who bought the game a week ago
posted 17 November 2007 12:58 PM EDT (US)     4 / 50  
River Civilization is the most popular advanced setup game. This is really for people who play advanced setup,
I dont think anybody cares about river civ except people who bought the game a week ago
I'm glad you at least read the topic title...

V
is for
~Victory~

[This message has been edited by Xx_Valor_xX (edited 11-17-2007 @ 01:14 PM).]

posted 17 November 2007 01:02 PM EDT (US)     5 / 50  
Your initial post

"they donut call it...."

rofl.
posted 17 November 2007 01:14 PM EDT (US)     6 / 50  
Fixed.

V
is for
~Victory~
posted 17 November 2007 01:17 PM EDT (US)     7 / 50  
Is River Civ, the same as what people in vanilla call "Settlers"?

If so, the settlers epidemic has hit vanilla too, It's just about the only thing hosted in advanced setup. If I'm going to play one of those pseudo-supremacy scenarios, I definitely prefer world map.
posted 17 November 2007 01:57 PM EDT (US)     8 / 50  
These are the main points I will be talking about, fist up: Teamwork.

lol fist up
posted 17 November 2007 02:12 PM EDT (US)     9 / 50  
Thanks, fixed.

V
is for
~Victory~
posted 17 November 2007 04:10 PM EDT (US)     10 / 50  
I find this game fun sometimes. I just enjoy the large battles between my FUed myrmidons and whatever they want to try to use

Anyways, nice guide.

posted 17 November 2007 04:52 PM EDT (US)     11 / 50  
my never lost yet? comment meant,

I've played it a few times, have yet to lose... is the guide really necessary..?
either way, its accurate at least.
posted 17 November 2007 06:18 PM EDT (US)     12 / 50  
There are many Advanced Setup only clans out there, knowing more about this game can help you get in if you are tested on it, plus who doesn't like winning?

V
is for
~Victory~
posted 18 November 2007 01:14 AM EDT (US)     13 / 50  
2 Things.

This is NOT the most popular. Escapes and Zelda are.

There are clans for Zelda mostly, and some random games like castle blood and pit o doom, But few have been made for River Civ and very few are active.

DONT FORGET, not all civs are RIV civs. Theres mountain, forest, world map is imo a civ...

3 Days of Survey means nothing unless your on 24/7.
Timezones anyone?

"River Civilzation"

erm its River Civilization

CIVILIZED.

Riv Civ is just an overrated version of supremecy, created by someone who cant build up in supremecy.

I have nothing against river civ, but as you say...

Its just a base of supremacy right?

Then why dont they just read a supremacy guide?

Most Classic is bs.

Rofl, amazing my .....

Win the river and the game is yours? There is TONS of river...ITS NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS TO WIN IT ALL.

Heres some help for those that actually like this guide.

List Best gods:

Norse Rape river civ - Longboats are transports

Zeus and Hades Rape riv civ (UW)

Atlanteans do pretty well, especially kronos (Timeshift, Vortex, Gaia Boom)

Eggy do well because of leviathans/Rocs.

Poesidon cant do crap. No good water gods. Only a crappy scout. No UW.

Remind people not to build titans on their little island that hope to transport it -.- Ive had teammates do that.

Also, Wonders only win supremacy games lol. Dont waste resources -.-

Remind them that:

The Closer your base is to where you start, the WAY better.

If you are advancing 2 mins before your opponent can build his tc, GG.

all you have to do is:

The WNx Strat:
--------------

Viable for: Vortex Gods and Underworld Passage gods
Basic Buildup: Fast Mythic
Plan:Build the CLOSEST TC POSSIBLE but make sure that it has

Good Fishing
Good Gold
Decent Trade route
Decent Wood supply

Now.... Build your TC with all your vils EXCEPT 1.
Have that extra one build a dock.
Have some chop wood, few get food, and more get gold.
That extra one that built a dock goes and builds a temple.

ADVANCE.
IF YOU ARE GREEK GET A PEGASUS FROM THE TEMPLE.

IF YOU ARE ATLANTEAN ADVANCE THROUGH A GOD WITH A FLYING UNIT. (You may have to do this heroic) IDC about prometheaus, it will be negated by the uber resources you have in mythic

Send your pegasus to where you think your enemies base will be. Most noobs have it in the farest corner.

When you hit classic, build your military buildings. As many as your can, but make sure you can have wood for post-advance req. buildings.

Keep advancing through the ages.
GRAB UW OR VORTEX IF MYTHIC.

Pump units out of those military buildings!! PUMP PUMP PUMP!

Make sure to have some good strong units to take down some buildings, wether it be hoplites or hekas or cyclops.

UW. If you can, have your allies send units too.

Once you take out 1 guy, unless your allys suck and your opponents are uber.

GG.

WNxWyldeOne:SeT rapes All?
G0D_Freq_Redhate: I wish i could prove you wrong but your too damn good lol.
Aom is a Drug....And i am high on it - Ferral

[This message has been edited by WNxWyldeOne (edited 11-18-2007 @ 01:15 AM).]

posted 18 November 2007 07:17 AM EDT (US)     14 / 50  
I'm sorry, but River Civs are noob scenarios. I have played a couple times, and the only reason there is a river, is so people can build up near impenetrable bases.

Like everyone else said too, Zelda and Escapes are by far more popular.

And along with that.
I took a five day survey and River Civ was hosted the most.
First of all, it wasn't a survey. Merely an observation. And on top of that, there are so many flaws as I'm sure you casually checked when river civ was hosted when you got on, not at specific times of the day to have accurate results.
posted 18 November 2007 11:58 AM EDT (US)     15 / 50  
Actually Wyldeone, Isis and Ra are easily the best at River Civ..

Just get to classical through bast, monument spam, hit the person beside you with 6-10 sphinx and 10 priests, cast eclipse... one person dead..

next get rocs/siege/CA go to the next person, cast locust on them, drop siege and CA and another person dead, now you only have 1 opponent with 2 other teammates still alive... this is why I always win that so bad, I play Ra and I kill 2 people while my partners, and the enemies (who really need to learn how to do supremacy IMO) are still building armies...

gg?
posted 18 November 2007 12:40 PM EDT (US)     16 / 50  
Wyldeone, you put so many spaces in your post...
There are clans for Zelda mostly, and some random games like castle blood and pit o doom, But few have been made for River Civ and very few are active.
Actually the clans are usually for all advanced setup games not just one specifically.
Win the river and the game is yours? There is TONS of river...ITS NOT AS EASY AS IT LOOKS TO WIN IT ALL.
Actually, you will probably only fight in a few specific areas and keeping control is easy especially when you are egyptian. Build a few fishing ships to put obleisks/docks along the coast where your enemy will dare not go (due to your ships) and you will be able to see if they are atmepting to regain control.
Heres some help for those that actually like this guide.

List Best gods:

Norse Rape river civ - Longboats are transports

Zeus and Hades Rape riv civ (UW)

Atlanteans do pretty well, especially kronos (Timeshift, Vortex, Gaia Boom)

Eggy do well because of leviathans/Rocs.
Poseidon is the only bad god?
Poesidon cant do crap. No good water gods. Only a crappy scout. No UW.
Dionysus is not a good water good? The Scylla int one of the best MU's in the game? Poseidon is actually good in this, with pegasus and hippocampus Poseidon can have an extremly good knowledge of the map. In fact, I would say Hades is the worst Greek god in the "civ" type games beacuse he has no water god at all! UW is only neccsary if you don't have water...
I'm sorry, but River Civs are noob scenarios. I have played a couple times, and the only reason there is a river, is so people can build up near impenetrable bases.
No, there is a river because it is called River civ, if there weren't then it would be a different type of civ. Personally I like the river which is why I prefer this game over other civs. The river gives it a "naval" aspect that others don't.
And on top of that, there are so many flaws as I'm sure you casually checked when river civ was hosted when you got on, not at specific times of the day to have accurate results.
Well, it was the most popular game at 3, 7, and 9 p.m eastern.

Excuse me for making this...
I guess this should be locked, I should be banned and anyone who took any knowledge out of this should be burned at the stake...

Ahh...and they say the AoMH community is dying...

V
is for
~Victory~
posted 18 November 2007 01:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 50  
Hades is fine on water, you just need to win not using MU. His docks have more Hp and he can still get restoration.
posted 18 November 2007 01:42 PM EDT (US)     18 / 50  
I agree to that, i was just using Wyldeones logic.

Oxymoron?

V
is for
~Victory~
posted 18 November 2007 03:37 PM EDT (US)     19 / 50  
Stop flaming. He wrote a nice guide about a game that he enjoys. None of you have been tasked with deciding which games are good and which aren't.

posted 18 November 2007 06:20 PM EDT (US)     20 / 50  
Nice guide, Valor! Keep it up

The fact that some ppl might like a different style of gameplay than what supremacy offers (i.e. building up without fear of being overwhelmed by enemy forces early) does not necessarily make them noobs.
By giving us the option to make scenarios means the game wasn't meant to be played only in supremacy (conquest, deathmatch...) mode, it's a matter of preference.
If someone likes playing scenarios it doesn't mean they know little about how the game works. That would make them a noob IMO.

There probably are a lot of noobs playing scenarios (then again, there are a lot of noobs playing supremacy), but saying that some scenarios are for noobs is not right for the decent players that like them.

I am actually a supremacy player, and i like to win games quickly (not really the build up type). Nevertheless i just wanted to share my opinion on the matter.
posted 19 November 2007 12:41 PM EDT (US)     21 / 50  
Thanks Blahd,
He wrote a nice guide
Strategy Library?

V
is for
~Victory~
posted 19 November 2007 01:57 PM EDT (US)     22 / 50  
Adv Setup....

1. Zelda Greek Canyons
2. 3999 escape
3. gay *** sims
4. Tiny
5. Riv Civ

It's a pretty good map. I don't play it that much, not as much as I do zelda, but I usually win anyways. Vortex or UW will basicly get you a win everytime. If you're Norse you get the greek villies on the temple and spam cheap MU's.

But, the map gets old fast, 90% of the maps are edited for P1, and most of the people that play it are noobs.

Therefore Riv Civ gets a

I never asked for this.

[This message has been edited by Nitro Tractor (edited 11-19-2007 @ 01:57 PM).]

posted 19 November 2007 08:55 PM EDT (US)     23 / 50  
It will. On the 25th.

posted 19 November 2007 08:59 PM EDT (US)     24 / 50  
Stop flaming.
exactly!!! this isn't key west!
posted 19 November 2007 11:43 PM EDT (US)     25 / 50  
Actually the clans are usually for all advanced setup games not just one specifically
BULL****

Clans like aKm, GK, ZK, Haunted, SoA...

They were zelda clans rofl. "Advance Setup Clans" Give me a ****ing break.
Dionysus is not a good water god? The Scylla int the best MU's in the game?
Not with the ****ty favor you will have with him. Terrible Transportation too...

Put more vils on favor?Nope. ...More advantages in economy for everyone else.

WNxWyldeOne:SeT rapes All?
G0D_Freq_Redhate: I wish i could prove you wrong but your too damn good lol.
Aom is a Drug....And i am high on it - Ferral
posted 20 November 2007 04:33 PM EDT (US)     26 / 50  
Not with the ****ty favor you will have with him. Terrible Transportation too...

Put more vils on favor?Nope. ...More advantages in economy for everyone else.
Is this your response?
I don't know what it says, please explain better.

V
is for
~Victory~
posted 20 November 2007 07:22 PM EDT (US)     27 / 50  
Tiny is op. Someone should guide it up!
posted 20 November 2007 08:52 PM EDT (US)     28 / 50  
Squeoo...

V
is for
~Victory~
posted 20 November 2007 09:03 PM EDT (US)     29 / 50  
Tiny sucks hard.

Thank God SCII finally has a release date but it so so damn far away...
ESO Name: AoTH_ZoOkEePeR
posted 20 November 2007 09:32 PM EDT (US)     30 / 50  
Tiny is op. Someone should guide it up!
You should!! seriously!

I followed your advice as my start, and now I am REALLY REALLY great at Tiny... and I'm addicted to it...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Guide to River Civilzation
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames