Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoMH FAQ, Guide, and Other Important Things
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 21 November 2007 09:57 PM EDT (US)   

Age of Mythology Heaven FAQ, Guide, and Other Important Things

Index/Outline:

I. AoMH FAQ & Guide
--A. Introduction
--B. Posting in this Thread
--C. The AoM Basics
-----1. Age of Mythology Statistics
-----2. Game Terminology and Abbreviations
-----3. Newbie Guide
-----4. Unit Questions
-----5. Gameplay Basics
--------i. General Q&A
--------ii. The Titan
--------iii. The Manual
--------iv. Game Interface

II. Strategy
--A. AoMH Strategy Section
--B. AoMH Deathmatch Arena
--C. AoMH Strategy Guide Library

III. General Multiplayer and ESO Information

IV. Recording Games
--A. Basics
--B. Utilities

V. User Enhancements
--A. General Information and Links
--B. Downloads

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-29-2019 @ 06:56 PM).]

Replies:
posted 21 November 2007 10:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 63  

AoMH FAQ and Guide

The Introduction

I'd like to start off this thread by telling you exactly what this massive thing is supposed to do. Basically, the idea here is to try to consolidate the rather large number of stickied threads that have managed to accumulate over time. In this thread, you should be able to find almost anything you need to know about Age of Mytology.
Should you feel that this thread is missing something, or that there is something wrong with it, please do not hesitate to e-mail a staff member at aom.expert@heavengames.com.
I'd also like to thank Flammifer for setting up this thread before, here's a link to his wonderful handiwork: AoMH FAQ & Guide, by Flammifer

If you're new to the forums, introduce yourself here.

Posting in this Thread:

Don't be intimidated, I realize that this looks a bit large, but I've done my best to organize it. Really, posting here is rather easy. All you need do is click the reply button, then type your message as usual. But how does everyone know where your post was directed? Well, that's why I ask that you post what your post will be concerning, giving you post a sort of title of its own. This should make understanding things quite a bit easier. E-mailing me also works well for many things, in case you'd rather not risk throwing your post into this thread.

The AoM Basics:

Age of Mythology Statistics

- The low-down on pretty much everything in the game and its expansion.
AoMH Game Info Central This will give you all the information you want about what's in the game. This pertains to Age of Mythology Vanilla, meaning the expansion pack has no effect here.
AoMH Titan' Expansion Pack Central Consider this the Game Info Central's little brother. Here, you can find all you need to know about what goes on in the expansion pack.

Newbie Guide

Zhaz's AoM Newbie Guide I remember when I first read this guide, I found it ever so useful. Note that it pertains to Vanilla, but many ideas carry over into the expansion pack as well.

Unit Questions

AoMH Unit Info This will explain how units work and are affected by various things, such as damage and upgrades.

Gameplay Basics

General questions and answers:
How do I pick up relics?
Greek and Atlantean Heroes, Norse Hersir, Egyptian Pharaoh's and Egyptian Priests with the Hand of the Pharaoh upgrade have the ability to pick up and move relics. To pick up a relic, select your hero and right click on the relic. To utilize its bonus, select the hero carrying the relic and right click on a temple. You can only store five relics in one temple.

For more information, consult the .

How exactly does empowering work?
Empowering doesn't really speed up gathering like it says in the manual. Instead, whenever a villager goes to drop off resources, you get an extra 20% resources for free. So if he gathers 10 food and goes to an empowered granary, you get 12 food.

Empowering also speeds up the construction of buildings by 50% research of technologies and training of units by 30%. It does not affect Villager training or Age advance. Finally, Empowering gives Town Centers, Towers and Fortresses an additional 50% attack rate.

Note: Ra Pharaohs empower resources at 15% instead of 20%. Speed up construction by 30%, research time by 50% and building fire rate by 50%.

Why can't I build more than 10 houses?
The population limit in AoM works differently than it did in AoE and AoK. In AoM, you can increase your pop cap in three ways.

# Houses boost your pop cap by 10, but you can only have 10 houses. Atlantean Manors support 20 pop, but you can only have 5 of these.
# Town Centers boost your pop cap by 15, but you can only build Town Centers on settlements, and you can only have one Town Center until you reach the second age.
# Researching the Fortified Town Center upgrade in the third age increases the population supported by your Town Centers to 20.
# The god power Citadel adds ten additional pop slots.
# Isis town centers support three additional pop slots.
# Eye of Horus, a relic, grants town centers two additional pop slots.

Note: Your pop cap cannot go above 300.

How can I repair siege weapons or ships?
You don't repair siege or ships in AoM, instead you heal them. Anything that can heal normal units also heals ships and siege weapons. This includes Athena's Restoration god power, Apollo's Healing Temple technology, Egyptian Priests, Pharaoh's, the Son of Osiris, Forseti's Healing Spring god power, and Freyja's Valkyrie myth unit.

How can I heal my units?
The Egyptian Priests and Pharaoh have the ability to heal. If you wish to heal with Greek, Atlantean or Norse, you must worship certain gods.

For the Greek, Athena's god power Restoration will heal a large number of friendly units in the target area, but you can only use it once. If you worship Apollo, you can research the Healing Temple technology, which causes temples to heal idle units within their radius, one at a time. As Norse, if you worship Forseti, you'll gain the Healing Spring god power; if you worship Freyja, her MU - the Valkyrie - can heal units in the same manner as the Egyptian Priest. Atlanteans can worship Oceanus and get Caladria MU, a flying unit who only serves as a scout and healer. Oceanus also gets a water MU, the Servant, which can fight and heal.

The Titan:
I have researched the "Secrets of the Titans" technology, but the Titan Gate button doesn't show up beneath my God Powers bar!
The older versions of mods like Enhanced Tooltips don't support certain features in AoM:TT. Get rid of the mods, and replace them with versions compatible with AoM:TT.

Is there any way I can move my Titan across the water?
No. Titans cannot go in Transport Ships, Underworld Passage, Sky Passages or anything else that would transport other units readily.

Can I get a second Titan?
No, not in normal gameplay. This would require an added trigger in a Random Map or Scenario.

The Manual:
Aren’t Thor’s cavalry supposed to generate gold?
No. This bonus was taken out prior to the original release of the game. And you guys think Thor is OP now

Game Interface
How do I change the game speed?
Simple answer: Sorry, you can't. AoM has no game speed settings. The closest you can get is to use one of two cheat codes. "CONSIDER THE INTERNET" makes everything in the game slower, while "LETS GO! NOW!" (Two spaces) makes everything in the game faster. To enter these codes, hit enter while in the game, type the code in (it must be in all caps) and hit enter again.

How do I build gates?
To build a gate, you must first build a wall. Then, select a long section of wall, and you will see a gate icon on the interface. Click this to convert the wall section into a gate. Gates cost 15 gold apiece, Atlantean ones cost 23 gold.

What do the Colored dots and the Red Turtle next to players names mean?
The Yellow Dot indicates a Moderate latency, the red, High. The red turtle indicates that this player's computer is causing the game to slow down.

How do I pause/unpause?
Use the "Pause - Break" key located in the upper right hand corner of your keyboard. In Multiplayer games, the player who pauses the game need not be the one to unpause it.

How do I take screenshots and full map screenshots like in AoK?
Hit Ctrl+ F12 to save a screenshot. They will be saved in .jpg format in your Age of Mythology/screenshots directory. For the Titans Expansion Pack, they are stored at My Documents/My Games/Age of Mythology/screenshots.
To take a full map screenshot, hit Ctrl+Alt+F12 - but be warned, this takes a very long time even if you have a powerful system, and generates a huge .jpg file. Expect file sizes of around 20 MB (minimum.) The image will be saved in the same directory as a normal screenshot.

How do I show Scores, like in AoK?
Hit the F4 button to display Player Scores.

How do I show the game clock?
Hit the F11 button.

How do I zoom and rotate?
Press + and - to zoom the camera in and out. To rotate the camera, you must first enable camera rotation at the options menu, then use the mouse wheel or hold down Ctrl and use the cursor keys.

How do I rotate the camera?
Make sure camera rotation is enabled in the Options tab. Once it's enabled, you can use your mouse wheel or CTRL+ arrow keys to rotate the camera.

How do I minimize the Interface?
Press Ctrl+Down Arrow.

Strategy

AoMH Strategy Section
AoMH Deathmatch Arena
AoMH Strategy Guide Library

General Multiplayer and ESO Information

How do load a multiplayer saved game?
Start a multiplayer game as normal. Under game type (by default, Supremacy) select 'Restore game'.

Can I play multiplayer with only one CD?
Up to three players can play in a local area network (LAN) game on the one CD-Key. You can do this by starting AoM normally, taking the CD out, and then taking it to the next computer to start the game. To play on Ensemble Studios Online, (ESO) you must have a unique CD-Key.

How do I play custom random maps and scenarios?
To play a custom random map, place the Random Map files (*.xml & .xs) into your Age of Mythology/rm directory for AoM and Age of Mythology/rm2 for AoM: TT. Then start a game as normal, and where you would choose from the normal maps, look for the custom map you just added.

To play a custom scenario in Single Player, place the scenario file in your Age of Mythology/scenario directory. Open the game and hit the 'Single Player' button on the main menu, then hit 'Load Scenario'. Choose the scenario you're looking for, select the difficulty and hit start.

To play a custom scenario in Multiplayer, place the scenario file in your Age of Mythology/scenario directory. Open the game and start a multiplayer game. Where you have the dropdown box to choose your game mode (Supremacy, by default) select custom scenario and pick the scenario you're looking for. Any players who join your game who do not have the scenario will have it automatically transferred to them upon joining.

Does it matter who hosts the game?
If you are hosting a game with 4 or more players, a fast connection will help. If your game crashes, the original host must be the one to host the restored game. Again, it can be useful to have a host with a fast connection to distribute the saved game. If the host is the one who crashed then someone else from the game will have to send the saved game from their "savegame" folder. If there are any AI players in the gamem they will be run from the host’s machine. AI players can make the Host's Computer unable to keep up with the normal pace of the game, causing lag.

Other than these cases, it doesn't really matter who hosts. All the computers in the game run all of the calculations regarding interactions in the game. This is to ensure that no one is cheating (a difference causes an Out of Sync). So the game runs at the pace of the slowest computer.

What ports do I need to forward on my router in order to play online?
You must have UDP ports 2300-2400 and 6073 forwarded in order to play. For more see Microsofts FAQ page about this.

How do I whisper to someone on ESO?
Type "/name Message", i.e. "/GloryOfSparta Can you hear me now?"

Recording Games

Basics

How do I record my games?
First, turn it on under the Options Menu. Only your last ten games will be stored (be it Multi or Single Player). If you wish to store these 'recs,' move or rename them.

Can I watch recorded games with Windows Media Player or Real Player?
No, the recorded game files only contain the commands that each player gave during the game. Without the game to play back the commands, they're no good.

What are .rec and .rcx files and where do they go?
.rec files are AoM Recorded games and go in your Age of Mythology/savegame folder. .rcx files are AoM: TT Recorded games and go in My Documents/My Games/Age of Mythology/savegame folder.

How do I watch recorded games?
Place the recorded game in the appropriate location. *.rec files for AoM into your Age of Mythology/savegame folder. *.rcx for AoM: TT into My Documents/My Games/Age of Mythology/savegame. On the main menu, click 'More,' then click 'Recorded games,' and open the file you are looking for.

When I watch a Recorded Game and leave fixed view on, it just stays over the player's Town Center all the time. How come?
Recorded games only record Camera Movements for the player who recorded the game. For all other players, fixed view will not function correctly.

Utilities

Recorded GAme Info & Rename Utility This is a really nice program for seeing the basic information about recorded games without actually loading them. Thanks Aleste!

User Enhancements

General Information and Links

Chichiri's Guide to Hotkeys

Where are the hotkeys that I change in-game saved?
They are saved in your player profile (a .prf file). It can be found in Age of Mythology/Users for AoM and My Documents/My Games/Age of Mythology/Users for AoM: TT. You can use a text editor to open and edit these files.

How can I get rid of the intro cinimatics?
Right click on the AoM icon, select Preferences.
Add “+noIntoCinematics” to the command line.

Like so: "...aomx.exe +noIntroCinematics"

How can I rotate buildings in game?
You have to go into game.con or gamex.con and find the line:

//map ("mousez", "building", "uiWheelRotatePlacedUnit")

Simply delete the '//' and it then enables you to rotate a building foundation with the mouse wheel.

Downloads

Player Color Changer Tired of always being blue? Now you don't have to!

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-29-2019 @ 06:48 PM).]

posted 21 November 2007 10:05 PM EDT (US)     2 / 63  

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-29-2019 @ 06:37 PM).]

posted 21 November 2007 10:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 63  

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-29-2019 @ 06:49 PM).]

posted 21 November 2007 10:13 PM EDT (US)     4 / 63  

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-29-2019 @ 06:54 PM).]

posted 21 November 2007 10:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 63  

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-29-2019 @ 06:56 PM).]

posted 21 November 2007 10:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 63  

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-29-2019 @ 06:55 PM).]

posted 23 November 2007 00:07 AM EDT (US)     7 / 63  
*Reserved*

posted 29 November 2007 05:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 63  
*Reserved* for when I think of a good comment....

-Ironclaw77

I R O N C L A W 7 7
Everything that shines ain't always
gonna be gold.
posted 04 December 2007 12:20 PM EDT (US)     9 / 63  
Well obviously you guys dont update that frequently. VnX_JaZz=Mine.
posted 04 December 2007 08:34 PM EDT (US)     10 / 63  
Updated.

Note: Please link me to it next time.

posted 24 January 2008 01:10 PM EDT (US)     11 / 63  
Where is the product id excatly?
on the cd or the cd cover?
posted 24 January 2008 05:16 PM EDT (US)     12 / 63  
CD cover is where mine is.

posted 18 April 2008 05:19 AM EDT (US)     13 / 63  
.... This sounds stupid, but can you guys tell me how to quote... Please...
posted 18 April 2008 02:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 63  
There are three ways for that:

The short way:
[q]The quote[/q]
The long way:
[quote]The quote[/quote]
The detailed way:
[quote="Name of the quoted one"]The quote[/q]
OR
[quote="Name of the quoted one"]The quote[/quote]

TBK_-_iDrug
"Because sometimes your posts seem to imply that you're a little high?" - RCM
"And sometimes "a little" is an understatement ;p ..." - Kyr
"I think TBK's subtly trying to tell us he does, but 'legally.' " - Norm
"Or maybe "slightly" illegal" - RCM
"Are you on drugs?" - Gamerrici
posted 19 April 2008 08:53 PM EDT (US)     15 / 63  
There are three ways for that:

Thanks.
posted 13 September 2008 02:08 PM EDT (US)     16 / 63  
How do you rotate BUILDINGS around when you are choosing where to place them? Not the camera buildings
posted 29 September 2008 10:58 PM EDT (US)     17 / 63  
How do you rotate BUILDINGS around when you are choosing where to place them? Not the camera buildings
You can download the file Here.

Also Shanks... I think that you should update the "ESO Names and Rates" more often... I just found out that after a while you lose your rating and your account doesn't show up (took me a while I know). But maybe you could delete the inactive ones ~ Khan

P.S. Of course by doing this you may get multiple requests at longer intervals from the same person to have their account put up/back up on the page. However if they really want it back up there than they would keep it active.

<||=================================||>
Proud Member of Forgotten Empires
96Reviews KaS Dota2 Halo 5 Reach
{ "Work until your idols become your rivals" }
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ trGetUnitScenarioName(); ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
posted 12 October 2008 01:10 PM EDT (US)     18 / 63  
Can you update Names & Rates?

I R O N C L A W 7 7
gonna be gold.
posted 12 October 2008 05:15 PM EDT (US)     19 / 63  
Can you update Names & Rates?
I could if people posted what banner they wanted up there.

posted 12 October 2008 06:48 PM EDT (US)     20 / 63  
I think you should do a site wide census because I don't think a lot of people know about it.

I R O N C L A W 7 7
gonna be gold.
posted 13 October 2008 01:05 PM EDT (US)     21 / 63  
posted 14 October 2008 05:22 AM EDT (US)     22 / 63  
^^^ nice ^^^^
heres mine

Nah thats not really mine,I dont wanna post my real one so ill post my good account to see what it looks like

"Quotes are nothing but inspiration for the uninspired"
72% of people agree with me when I say 28% of people disagree with me.
"I'll remove the clit at the end" - Rotaretilbo
" I just snapped off my penis thinking it was a nk" - BeezleBub
"Im a transexual STFU" - Briguy
posted 14 October 2008 08:11 AM EDT (US)     23 / 63  
update highest rate pls.

don't let hells change which nick he has there tho 11

www.vbclan.net - Aussie/Kiwi AoT and AoE3 clan
posted 30 October 2008 01:25 AM EDT (US)     24 / 63  
How do you rotate buildings while playing?
posted 30 October 2008 08:14 AM EDT (US)     25 / 63  
That answer is in this FAQ in case you didn't notice and it's also in the Technical Help FAQ...

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...
posted 16 December 2008 02:36 PM EDT (US)     26 / 63  
I have a question....

How do I insert images into my posts? I currently use a link to photobucket.com, but I've seen images in the post itself...just wondering how that is done. I've looked at the source for those posts but I still can't figure it out.

Some people are like slinkeys--not good for much, but always bring a smile to your face when pushed down stairs.

BBCode and HTML Fails I have seen: 2
posted 20 December 2008 03:30 PM EDT (US)     27 / 63  
Update:

I R O N C L A W 7 7
gonna be gold.
posted 04 January 2009 07:23 PM EDT (US)     28 / 63  
This is why I said we needed update census...

I R O N C L A W 7 7
gonna be gold.
posted 04 February 2009 03:04 AM EDT (US)     29 / 63  
Please excuse my ignorance, but I'd really appreciate if someone helped me with a few questions:

"Can I play multiplayer with only one CD?
Up to three players can play in a local area network (LAN) game on the one CD-Key. You can do this by starting AoM normally, taking the CD out, and then taking it to the next computer to start the game. To play on Ensemble Studios Online, (ESO) you must have a unique CD-Key."

1. Is it possible for 2 separate people within a LAN network to utilize ESO with only 1 cd-key? Must you EACH have a key?

2. Also, I've gathered that ESO means playing Vanilla, which is really just an updated AOM cd, right? But I'm constantly seeing recs with Titan Gates/Auto-queues and such. Are these goodies in reality AOMT local/ip games?

3. I want to trust the disk I choose on eBay will be ESO-functionable. Am I fine with any non-ES company as long as I request from them a conciliatory key?
posted 04 February 2009 07:46 AM EDT (US)     30 / 63  
1. Is it possible for 2 separate people within a LAN network to utilize ESO with only 1 cd-key? Must you EACH have a key?
To connect to ESO you need a unique, valid product key. If two people in your house want to play on ESO at the same time, you need two copies of the game.
2. Also, I've gathered that ESO means playing Vanilla, which is really just an updated AOM cd, right? But I'm constantly seeing recs with Titan Gates/Auto-queues and such. Are these goodies in reality AOMT local/ip games?
There are two versions of ESO - one for vanilla, one for The Titans. Everybody uses the term "ESO" to describe both and you can actually chat to vanilla players whilst using The Titans and vice-versa.
3. I want to trust the disk I choose on eBay will be ESO-functionable. Am I fine with any non-ES company as long as I request from them a conciliatory key?
There is no way of knowing. Some companies no longer give out unique product keys even if you can prove you bought one of their copies of the game. The best way of knowing is to make sure there is no non-Microsoft branding and also that the product key doesn't match the one described in the Technical Help FAQ in the Technical Help forum. Apparently Valusoft still has product keys so if you must choose a non-Microsoft distributer, I would pick them.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » AoMH FAQ, Guide, and Other Important Things
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: