You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Old AOM/AOT Player Asks: Who Is the Best God?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 09 February 2010 05:51 PM EDT (US)   
It has been a really long time since I have played. Starting back up again and would like your opinions on the best/worst civs.

If I am hearing you right it would appear to be:

Best: Zeus, Hades, Isis, Thor
Good: Ra, Loki
OK: Posiedon, Kronos, Oranos
Worst: Gia, Odin, Set

Just wondering if this is your interpretation. Back in the day, I had a lot of success with Odin/Oranos. Sucks to see that they are at the bottom of the pile.
Replies:
posted 09 February 2010 06:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 42  
Best: Zeus, Isis, Oranos, Thor
Middle: Ra, Kronos, Set, Possy, Hades, Loki
Worst: Gaia, Odin
posted 09 February 2010 06:36 PM EDT (US)     2 / 42  
Good to hear. Thanks.
posted 09 February 2010 06:45 PM EDT (US)     3 / 42  
Agree with martel except just slightly for odin. Just that with some experience odin can be really op. For instance look at AoL_Dexter from a while back or Chus recently, both good odin players. I'm from AoM so could be different in TT though. I like his versatility and he is King of the Wood Block. :P Though obviously lacking fw hurts him pretty bad.

Not the victory but the action;
Not the goal but the game;
In the deed the glory
posted 09 February 2010 07:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 42  
What's the order in playability? I know some gods such as atty are very easy to get good at, while other ones take longer.
posted 09 February 2010 07:18 PM EDT (US)     5 / 42  
For me loki, ra, and thor are the easiest.
Then the greeks, odin, and isis <--simply becuase of a/e
And the hardest for me is set

But it mainly depends on what gods who are used too, like my isis/set isn't that good so they are low on my list. XD

In the deed the glory
posted 09 February 2010 07:42 PM EDT (US)     6 / 42  
Set is the hardest god and the one that requires the most skill once 18+.

Odin is better on Nilla but on TT he is god-awful 11 (altho extremely fun )
posted 09 February 2010 07:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 42  
I like your list Martel, however I'd still like to create a tier between best-second best and put Thor there (and even Oranos MAYBE).

I don't Thor he belongs in the same tier as Isis/Zeus atleast, but still better than Ra/Hades.

Imo!

ps. Go with Zeus. He's an amazingly good God and actually very fun and versatile, compared to Isis which imo is a bit of a tunnel-vision god most of the time.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Gandalf - JRR Tolkein. The Fellowship of the Ring

[This message has been edited by Nirwanda (edited 02-09-2010 @ 07:54 PM).]

posted 09 February 2010 10:37 PM EDT (US)     8 / 42  
ya i would have to agree with that

thor shouldn't be a top tier god because he is norse
norse as a civ aren't top tier, but some players who have
played them are top tier

as for best god, there are general strong gods, but as for
which one to choose, it all depends on your play style

oh and also it depends on how big your cock is (isis vagina players)
posted 09 February 2010 10:51 PM EDT (US)     9 / 42  
If that's true, why do you always lose to pussies?
posted 09 February 2010 11:10 PM EDT (US)     10 / 42  
I have never thought the Egyptians were all that great, probably because I have always beat them easily. Here are my favorites:
Odin, Posiedan, Hades
posted 10 February 2010 09:42 AM EDT (US)     11 / 42  
I really wonder what makes people think Set is hard/weak/takes skill .. thats bs
Seriously 4.30 ptah ss rush 8 min nephtys => cookie cutter strat vs Eggy/Norse/Greek on land, He rules on Anatolia, Highland too and and is one of the best vs Atty.
Just watch themis, he's a Zeus/Loki player, when he tries Ra he's 1800 max but with Set he gets 1980 (altho by beating some horribly overrated guys)

Best: Isis, Zeus, Oranos
2nd tier: Thor, Kronos, Set, Loki
3rd tier: Ra, Pos, Hades
4th tier: Odin, Gaia

[This message has been edited by Eddy_Current (edited 02-10-2010 @ 09:44 AM).]

posted 10 February 2010 09:57 AM EDT (US)     12 / 42  
on aom:

easiest god to play imo isis, requires less skill due to cheap upgrades, and monument protection. Also a/e.

Least forgiving god, probably loki.

Set: OP if played well, but hard to really bring out his full potential with aniamls etc, need good micro and apm. i mostly find myself struggling to manage eco while converting anaimals and harrassing enemy units with animals pre classic.

Greeks are all strong, possy probly the easier.

Roc....rock :P
posted 10 February 2010 05:18 PM EDT (US)     13 / 42  
Jijgeeft, it seems to me that your third tier is no worse than your second tier...and imo, the only reason everyone has been thinking Thor is not in the top tier is because we don't have a Nemesis or Phil on top anymore haha
posted 11 February 2010 07:47 AM EDT (US)     14 / 42  
Thor is easily as good as Isis/Zeus/Oranos, just norse beta-male mentality when they go Tyr to be "old-school" and whine about Isis when they lose.

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.
posted 11 February 2010 07:51 AM EDT (US)     15 / 42  
is tyr considered old school on aot? :P
on Aom, tyr is king!

posted 11 February 2010 05:16 PM EDT (US)     16 / 42  
and how are norse just as good as isis and zeus lategame?

how the **** is norse supposed to beat zeus lategame
with myrms + belle

(belle micro rapes fire giants, which are one of the only
legit ways to kill myrms :P)

other than rag.... but its quite tough to have a strong enough
rag not to get raped beforehand, and to either beat the zeus back and win
or give yourself a chance of winning in a military sense, while
still having the eco to support your previously created 'chance'
posted 11 February 2010 06:15 PM EDT (US)     17 / 42  
You don't beat Zeus lategame with Thor any more than you beat Poseidon with Isis on sav, or beat Thor with any God other than Zeus on Marsh, what's your point? Over all possible matchups Thor is clearly a top tier God with extremely good bonuses, people have played Thor just fine at the top for years and years.

Just because you and dap eternally struggle with him is not down to God imbalance.

[This message has been edited by Sam_Ham (edited 02-11-2010 @ 06:16 PM).]

posted 11 February 2010 07:15 PM EDT (US)     18 / 42  
Well, Iron plays AoM, so no marsh :P

Thor struggles vs Zeus, isis
-tough to beat possy podromos or hades mass tox
-ra is always a challenge & set is tough when they ss your hunt at 5 min or if they get anubites which are op vs norse
-loki requires no explanation

Obviously every god has a very tough matchup, but think of one for zeus or isis?
Maybe a very good set for isis, but for zeus what? Zeus is so versatile I honestly can't think of any, (I'm AoM)

So if I compare thor with these two clearly top level gods, I do not place him at that level, middle sure, but not top.

In the deed the glory

[This message has been edited by Husker (edited 02-11-2010 @ 07:18 PM).]

posted 11 February 2010 08:33 PM EDT (US)     19 / 42  
thats exactly right ffs

besides, i've tried for a LONG time to get 18+ on aom with
thor.......not workin out too well

the first few times playin isis, i can easily beat many
players that i would struggle against otherwise :P
and thats WITH making errors i'm aware of as an aom player and making errors
i'm prolly unaware of since i'm no isis player!

bottom line dude, ppl who have been 'playing thor at the top for years blablabla'
well thats because their skill immensely surpasses everyone
else at the top that it doesn't matter which god they play
and
most ppl who are playing in top 10 play random god, so randoml times they get
thor and random times the other player gets a more equal matchup
posted 12 February 2010 00:11 AM EDT (US)     20 / 42  
Best: Zeus, Isis
Middle: Hades, Poseidon, Ra, Set, Thor, Odin, Loki, Kronos
Worst: Gaia
Rigged: Oranos

Best Minor god is Hathor. Ranged myth, Roc, Mercenary tech, one-button click super raid. Basically everything as close to lame and abusive as possible. There are many good minor gods- basically every strategy ever used in AOM revolves around them, but none as twisted as Hathor.
posted 12 February 2010 07:06 AM EDT (US)     21 / 42  
Best Minor god is Hathor
Everyone's saying this, and to an extent I agree.

However, pick 20 random Isis expert recs on Agesanc, and I can promise you that atleast 15 of them will go Nephtys. This statistic is not just something I'm pulling out of my ass - I have watched many, many Isis recs.

Hathor is great, and longterm he's better. But you must judge something of what they do and if/how they can win the game for you.

Mainly due to A/E, Nepthys wins more games for you than Hathor, no matter how good rocs/medjay and how boring A/E may seem.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Gandalf - JRR Tolkein. The Fellowship of the Ring

[This message has been edited by Nirwanda (edited 02-12-2010 @ 07:07 AM).]

posted 12 February 2010 08:08 AM EDT (US)     22 / 42  
Well since half of you are talking about the outdated version of the game which has extremely different balance issues this discussion only generates confusion.

I honestly don't care about vanilla (according to Viper you don't even go Baldr in this game?) but Thor is a top level God in aot, I have no more problem beating 1800s with him than with Isis, he just sucks against Zeus, but not the the extent of autolose.

posted 12 February 2010 08:44 AM EDT (US)     23 / 42  
becuase i think in AOM as norse you cannot get a second and third tc early as you can in aot (in classic) where norse must usually fight harder in classic spending more on mil, and they dont have as many villagers. Sure in a very long game baldr is the best option, but if you are hitting and running against a greek player, he is pressuring you, fimbul winter is a serious eco devestator and also good for blocking cease fire or other god powers if the norse uses frost or flaming weps.
No, not many ppl go baldr in aom. Are they noobs for it? Are they using the weaker god? Imo i dont think so. This game have been played for a long time since it was last updated, and if tyr is the majority option i think he is the better god to choose in the majority of situations.
When i play maybe 97% of norse player will choose tyr.

posted 12 February 2010 02:51 PM EDT (US)     24 / 42  
basically, since aom we use our skill to try and beat zeus, rather than massing villagers out of 2-3 classical tc's...

how hard is that......

on aom, i would get raped up the ass hole several times if i tried to attempt an fm with fw+rag..
hoenstly i just couldn't get there before every building + unit
i had was dead and destroyed

in all these topics about thor/ norse being under/over/whatever powered, basically take a noob playing zeus and a noob playing thor, who would win?
the zeus

there have been a few ppl apply to aol but they dont get in cuz they are like 1650~ or something so i help them
learn thor. and they always say "i can't beat greek, i get raped by eggy FH"
a 1650~ person doesn't say "i get raped by thor....o_O"
posted 12 February 2010 06:39 PM EDT (US)     25 / 42  
I have played quite a bit though never on the ladder but what is so good with Thor..? Lokis Hersirs summon Myth units which is grand and Odins Hill Fort units got more HP but what does Thor got except an extra armoryupgradelvl and cheaper dwarves that are as good as your gatherers?

Is it that people use Thors dwarves exclusively instead of gatherers thus saving food?

I have to agree with Gaia being the worst though. Just her primary bonus is bad though the citizen speed upgrade is not bad, just expensive.

Sun goes up, sun goes down, i always win! Logical actions in a logical world.
posted 13 February 2010 04:55 PM EDT (US)     26 / 42  
thor's dwarves are ALMOST as good as a normal villager

they are better than loki/odin dwarves and cost 10 less gold but they are kinda in between a villager and a loki/odin dwarf

prolly the other thing that makes thor better to play is
that his build orders are so simple since he has the dwarven mine god power
posted 13 February 2010 06:12 PM EDT (US)     27 / 42  
I actually found Thor BOs harder to learn when I started playing Norse, dwarven mine messed up my count of how to know when to make further dwarves 11
posted 14 February 2010 00:22 AM EDT (US)     28 / 42  
campaigner, you can also get very good cheap armoury. If you are still in classic, having heroic armoury upgrades can be very useful.

posted 15 February 2010 01:56 PM EDT (US)     29 / 42  
thor builds harder o_O

martel man wtf is wrong with you LOL

thor builds enable all dwarves on gold and no vills on gold :P

you dont have to use straggler wood and 1 ox for 2 resources
if you dont want to :P

my brother tried to teach me odin before thor, and i didn't like
having to use straggler trees and my ox's in between gold and wood so i switched to thor :P
posted 15 February 2010 07:50 PM EDT (US)     30 / 42  
In that respect he's easier but in terms of what I was thought of easier in the sense of the actual "build order", I thought Thor was a lot harder than Loki/Odin. May be the opposite for you, just how it was for me
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Old AOM/AOT Player Asks: Who Is the Best God?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames