You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: When do I choose: Specific Unit Upgrades vs Armory Upgrades
posted 20 January 2011 11:43 AM EDT (US)   
Hi everyone, just like the origin of my recent question on hunting, I'd like to know when to choose a unit upgrade (medium, heavy, etc.) over an armory upgrade. I understand that these decisions are very circumstantial, for example, if I'm raiding in classical with Hippikons and I have trouble with towers, it would be better to go with the copper shield upgrade, before medium upgrade (I think it's like this, I'm still in kinda noob mode so don't flame me on that statement). I also believe that it's better to have more un (less)-upgraded units than less units that have more upgrades, though there probably are circumstances where this may not be the case.

In short, when and why would I choose a specific unit upgrade (medium, heavy, etc) over an armory upgrade?

Say NO to non-animated violence.

[This message has been edited by Kaminoan (edited 01-20-2011 @ 11:45 AM).]

Replies:
posted 20 January 2011 12:35 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
Like you said, it depends.

Got a very mixed army? Go for Armoury upgrades.
Got an army largely made up of one unit type? Go for unit line upgrades.
Facing a lot of towers or archers? Go for Copper Shields.
etc.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...
posted 20 January 2011 01:21 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
Apples and oranges.

However, line upgrades are usually the better choice. These do not require you to erect an armory either.

+10% attack/HP is alot, especially on mainline units.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Gandalf - JRR Tolkein. The Fellowship of the Ring
posted 21 January 2011 07:21 AM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
I agree with Nirwanda. Line upgrades are more powerful, so they should usually have priority, at least for the predominant unit type in your army.

However, cost also plays an important role. A cheap upgrade that you can afford is better than a valuable upgrade that costs you a fortune in gold and silver, money that you need for other things. This especially goes for the pierce armor upgrade, because that one only costs wood and gold, with food being the bottleneck in the early ages.

And no, pierce armor is not better than the "medium" upgrade for raiding hippikons that are having trouble with towers. The defensive effect of +10% pierce armor and +10% health from the line upgrade is the same, but the line upgrade will also improve the attack of your hippikons, and its health aspect also improves their endurance vs hack damage dealers (such as vills that fight back).

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
posted 21 January 2011 08:06 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
Line Upgrades because you won't be making more than 2 human unit types in many games, i.e. full Hipp, full CA, full RC, Hipp/Tox, Hop/Tox, Camel/CA, etc
posted 28 January 2011 10:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
Use line upgrades when you get the option because they are more powerful and effective, or if you are focusing on a type of unit. However, armory upgrades are a wise choice for an army with many different unit types.

Really it's your choice on how you want to focus your upgrades.

[This message has been edited by FAILeliminator (edited 09-03-2011 @ 06:26 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » When do I choose: Specific Unit Upgrades vs Armory Upgrades
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames