Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Guide to the Wadjet
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 30 August 2003 02:55 PM EDT (US)   
Following my Phoenix guide, I've decided to do a few more on Egyptian Myth Units.
This time my guide is on everyone's favourite: The Wadjet.

Like the Phoenix, I've always liked the Wadjet. Well, the way it looks, sounds etc. NOT how strong and powerful it is

The ranged, venomous cobra with a powerful attack that can regenerate.
Or the weak, cruddy, slow MU that loses against everything.

Let's look at the Wadjet's stats:

Cost: 150 Wood, 15 Favour, 3 Pop spaces.
HP: 240
Speed: 3.80
Hack armour: 20%
Pierce armour: 30%
Pierce damage: 16
Range: 18

So quite cheap, reasonable HP for a classical myth unit (higher than Centaur, Troll and the Anubite) quite low armour, great range and very good attack but very slow.

So why is the Wadjet so disliked?

The Wadjet is best against infantry and archers, and weakest against cavalry because of their speed.

Testing the Wadjet against an un-upgraded basic infantry unit of each culture seemed like a good place to start.

NOTE: All attacks are in Damage done per hit, not second. But don't worry, all the units attack once per second, so it works. The Wadjet does not have 100% accuracy, so it sometimes misses it's target. Also, all units are un-upgraded.

Test 1: 1 Wadjet vs 1 Hoplite

Hoplite stats:
HP: 115
Hack armour: 34%
Pierce armour: 15%
Hack damage: 9

Wadjet deals 20 damage per hit to Hoplite
Hoplite deals 8 damage per hit to Wadjet.

Wadjet takes 8 seconds to kill Hoplite in 5 hits.

Not too much damage done to the Wadjet, it will regenerate it anyway. Nice an easy to kill the Hoplite with it's low pierce armour.

Test 2: 1 Wadjet vs 1 Spearman

Spearman stats:
HP: 70HP
Hack armour: 40%
Pierce armour: 20%
Hack damage: 7

Wadjet deals 20 damage per hit to Spearman
Spearman deals 6 damage per hit to Wadjet

Wadjet takes 5 seconds to kill Spearman in 4 hits.

Easier than the Hoplite because of lower HP.

Test 3: 1 Wadjet vs 1 Ulfsark (classical)

Ulfsark stats:
HP: 80
Hack armour: 30%
Pierce armour: 5%
Hack damage: 9

Wadjet deals 27 damage per hit to Ulfsark
Ulfsark deals 7 damage per hit to Wadjet.

Wadjet takes 4 seconds to kill Ulfsark in 4 seconds.

This is where the Wadjet really shows it's strength. Against the Norse Ulfsarks and Throwing Axemen, the Wadjet will have no problem because of their extremely low pierce armour.

Well we know that the Wadjet is best against infantry, but how does it do against the other ranged classical MUs?

Test 4: 1 Wadjet vs 1 Centaur

Centaur stats:
HP: 220
Hack armour: 25%
Pierce armour: 34%
Pierce damage: 12
Range: 12

Wadjet deals 16 damage per hit to Centaur.
Centaur deals 26 damage from its special attack to Wadjet.
Centaur deals 36 damage per hit normally to Wadjet.

Centaur takes 7 seconds to kill the Wadjet in 6 hits.

Now what's wrong with this picture? Not only does the Centaur do more damage than the Wadjet, but it does less damage in its special attack than normally. Strange. The Centaur wins because of its bonus damage against MUs.

How does the troll do?

Test 5: 1 Wadjet vs 1 Troll

Troll stats:
HP: 200
Hack armour: 50%
Pierce armour: 50%
Pierce damage: 12
Range: 14

Wadjet deals 12 damage per hit to Troll
Troll deals 38 damage per hit to Wadjet

The Troll also gains 10 HP for each attack it makes on the Wadjet.
Yet another MU that does bonus damage against other MUs. It also has very high pierce armour that makes the Wadjet's attack even weaker.

Hmmm, looks like the Wadjet dies miserably to all other MUs, heroes, and Jarls.
On the other hand, it beats every single un-upgraded human unit 1 on 1. Which it should do, like all MUs should do.
(It takes 6 un-upgraded toxotes to kill 1 Wadjet)

But this still doesn't make up for how terrible the Wadjet is. I think my tests have proven that the Wadjet does well against human units, particularly infantry, and is really terrible against other MUs and heroes.

The Wadjets are only really good against the Norse. Against Greek and Egyptian it's just a waste of wood and favour. Sure Eggies don't need much wood, but you be saving it for economic upgrades and seige instead of wasting it on Wadjets. But against Norse, especially Thor who might have lots of Ulfs, sure, make some Wadjets, but don't rely on them to raid or attack anything but infantry.

Massed they might be ok, but do you really want to waste all that pop space on Wadjets instead of axemen and slingers? And only ever make them in classical. If your opponents are in Heroic or Mythic, your Wadjets will die horribly to upgraded heroes, Jarls and other STRONG MUs

Conclusion

The Wadjet is, in my opinion, the worst myth unit in the game at the moment, followed closely by the troll, and really does need some sort of boost. They need to be improved to at least match the strength of the Anubite and Sphinx.

Enjoy NOT using Wadjets in game (unless you're playing against Norse) because they really aren't anything special.

EDIT: Also, it looks like the Wadjet does splash damage like Phoenixes and Manticores do to units when attacking. However, the animation is deceiving. Wadjets do no splash damage to units or buildings.

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
Rating - 1662
Favourite Major Gods - Isis, Gaia, Hades, Loki

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

[This message has been edited by ArtemisChimera (edited 08-30-2003 @ 04:15 PM).]

Replies:
posted 30 August 2003 02:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 38  
Oh dang it! I thought this was the Strategy section. *smacks head* Can it be moved please mods?

Rating - 1662

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

posted 30 August 2003 03:10 PM EDT (US)     2 / 38  
When i first saw this i thought you were ripping of my Centaur rush. But by the end you sort of promoted it. LOl, Waddies are pretty bad. EVERYONE USE CENTUARS!!!!!!! GO TO MY CENTAUR THREAD!!!! BECOME A CENTAUR EXPERT!!!!!!!

I told you I'd be back.
posted 30 August 2003 03:19 PM EDT (US)     3 / 38  
Nice write up. You certainly gave the wadjet a little promo, maybe ppl wont think it sucks THAT much anymore

~*S c a r f a c E*~
posted 30 August 2003 03:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 38  
Are you positive Wadjets don't hit with 100%? Have you seen it miss on editor while watching the enemy HP? I found on the editor that sometimes the poison can be nowhere near the unit, but still do the damage. So don't let the graphics fool you into believing the Wadjet isn't hitting.

I'm not a huge fan either, but they do have their place defending against Norse. Parking them under towers isn't too bad. Still, I'd much rather have a Sphinx or Anubite.

AOM:TT Nick:CADENtheCRUEL, CADENtheBLUE
Rating: Isis 1750, Ra 1700
"Ancestors last for a minute, but Crocs last forever..."
posted 30 August 2003 03:55 PM EDT (US)     5 / 38  
Wadjets are pretty useles.
Remember they need a meat shield to be effective. Just like slingers.

Don't judge those who try and fail.
Judge only those who fail to try.
posted 30 August 2003 04:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 38  

Quote:

Are you positive Wadjets don't hit with 100%? Have you seen it miss on editor while watching the enemy HP? I found on the editor that sometimes the poison can be nowhere near the unit, but still do the damage.

They're more accurate than the Troll, but when the Wadjet was attacking a camel in the tests, it did miss a few times while the camel was running

Rating - 1662

posted 30 August 2003 04:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 38  
what about the fact that wadjets poisen attacks multiple units .

i need new signature quotes
posted 30 August 2003 04:11 PM EDT (US)     8 / 38  

Quote:

what about the fact that wadjets poisen attacks multiple units .

I actually tried this to see if it was true but forgot to include it in the article.

Wadjets do not attack multiple units at once and they have no splash damage, although it looks like they should from the animation. That's why I checked

Rating - 1662

posted 30 August 2003 06:55 PM EDT (US)     9 / 38  
SilverOsiris you copied off of Chimera's phoenix thing he made his first and then you completely copied :P
posted 30 August 2003 07:03 PM EDT (US)     10 / 38  
d'you guys just want to come on the front page?

and well it's nice you write all this but I say go play the game

Vagabond_Meow
Rating: 1843 God: Ra
Rating: 1833 God: Isis
posted 30 August 2003 07:08 PM EDT (US)     11 / 38  
i think its all for front page especially SilverOsiris :P
posted 30 August 2003 07:11 PM EDT (US)     12 / 38  
i mean how can you be bothered writing all this random stuff?

Vagabond_Meow
Rating: 1843 God: Ra
Rating: 1833 God: Isis
posted 30 August 2003 08:42 PM EDT (US)     13 / 38  
the wedjet needs another special ability. its just plain dumb to give the culure that has the best access to healing an MU that regenerates. a sphinx or a anubite can jsut be healed by preists, so they for all intents and purposes have the wedjets special as well as their own.
posted 31 August 2003 02:08 AM EDT (US)     14 / 38  
Moved to strategy discussions. Great article

Angel Socvazius | Chief Executive Officer, HeavenGames LLC
"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!"
HeavenGames | Join the Facebook Group | The HG Blog
Soccy's Periodic Obsession: ROFLCon
posted 31 August 2003 06:13 AM EDT (US)     15 / 38  

Quoted from guinea_pig_0:

the wedjet needs another special ability. its just plain dumb to give the culure that has the best access to healing an MU that regenerates. a sphinx or a anubite can jsut be healed by preists, so they for all intents and purposes have the wedjets special as well as their own.

True, I think that the Wadjet needs some kind of boost in speed as a special attack. Like moving very fast for a few seconds, or letting it dig a hole and appear at another waypointed spot. That would make it much better IMO.

Very good article again, ArtemisChimera, it was a nice read. When I started reading, I thought, "At the End AC is going to say how good the Wadjet is blablabla." But no, you said it sucked! I liked that.

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
posted 31 August 2003 08:01 AM EDT (US)     16 / 38  
Thanks to everybody for their support

Quote:

i mean how can you be bothered writing all this random stuff?

Well I guess I COULD be doing other stuff, and I COULD be playing the game, but I want to write these articles. I want people to see how MUs actually do in battle.

Instead of saying "Wadjets suck, they're useless" I want people to see how to use MUs like the Wadjet (if you HAVE to ) properly.

Just in case you didn't already guess, MUs are my favourite part of AOM, and I don't think they're used enough, so I want people to see how powerful (or not so powerful in the case of the Wadjet) they actually are.

My next one will be on the Scorpion Man

Rating - 1662

posted 31 August 2003 08:31 AM EDT (US)     17 / 38  
i like the hole idea. however the way i would to it is that the wedjet would have a button to allow it to burrow underdround. whilst undergroud they are invisible to the enemy and cant attack, but still grant LOS. there would also have to be a fairly long delay between surfacing and being able to dig in again to prevent people popping up doing damage, then burrowing again b4 taking losses. it would be useful for keeping an eye on areas of the map, and they can pop up to back your your raiding parties up.
however, if your opponet gets omniscience they become able to see and attack them to stop people losing everthing but there wedjets, and burrowing them till the rightful winner gives up in frustration.
posted 31 August 2003 09:21 AM EDT (US)     18 / 38  
umm... how can the wadjet do 20 dmg when its base pierce attack is 16?

counting the pierce armor of the units wouldn't the dmg done be less than 16?

i dunno, unless i'm missing something here.

fh

posted 31 August 2003 11:10 AM EDT (US)     19 / 38  

Quote:

umm... how can the wadjet do 20 dmg when its base pierce attack is 16?
counting the pierce armor of the units wouldn't the dmg done be less than 16?

You'd think that wouldn't you, but it actually does more than stated in it's info.

Rating - 1662

posted 31 August 2003 12:41 PM EDT (US)     20 / 38  
If it does 27 damage to a 80hp Ulfsark, 3 hits should suffice. Does one of the 4 hits it took to kill it miss?

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.
posted 31 August 2003 12:57 PM EDT (US)     21 / 38  
"If it does 27 damage to a 80hp Ulfsark, 3 hits should suffice. Does one of the 4 hits it took to kill it miss?"

Yep, I think so, wither that or I got something wrong *shocked*

Rating - 1662

posted 31 August 2003 01:08 PM EDT (US)     22 / 38  
maybe it's base attack is 26?

would it be worth it to run some tests to see if this is the case?

if so that could really change some peoples' opinions on the wadjet...

fh

posted 31 August 2003 01:21 PM EDT (US)     23 / 38  
hmm i agree rerun the tests

good post,but souldn't this be called guide to NOT using the wajet?

to choose doubt as a philosophy of life is like to choose immobility as a means of transportation.
posted 31 August 2003 01:47 PM EDT (US)     24 / 38  
LOL, ok, re-testing time.

EDIT: Here's what I've found.

Wadjet does on average 20-25 damage per hit to infantry units
Wadjet does on average 20 damage per hit to archer units
Wadjet does on average 16 damage per hit to cavalry units.

Looks like it has a bonus against infantry and archers. Interesting. In it's description it says "Use against: Human Units". But the Centaur says "Use against: Infantry".

What a strange MU the Wadjet is

Rating - 1662

[This message has been edited by ArtemisChimera (edited 08-31-2003 @ 02:01 PM).]

posted 01 September 2003 12:44 PM EDT (US)     25 / 38  
the wadjets not that bad, its got 16 pierce for christs sake what it needs is a anti-myth unit bonus.They are really cheap and work better at countering archers/infantry then slingers anyways.150 w is nothing.I've won games from the wadjet over them killing the norse infantry, but yeah they do need a boost, pretty bad >:O

|My Site|Recs|SaM|-Fenrir_Ghost - Matches - Challenge Me
I am life.I am luxury.I am the envy, that brings such ugly.I dont have a two-way, nor a cell-phone.My thoughts do not touch yourself alone.I am society.I strive to be the positive inside me.My opinion's are lively, used to describe me.Look at your negative, and how you live it.Dismiss the explicit in your mind and visit the bright side of community, and how you enrich it.
I am the Luxuries of Life, therefor my Life is Luxury
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » A Guide to the Wadjet
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames