You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Ultimate AOM Guide
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
posted 24 December 2002 07:17 AM EDT (US)   
The Ultimate AOM Guide
Last Updated May 12
By: dragons89

Introduction

Many of you may remember my ultimate AOK Guide, a now-sticky-topic at AokH. Well, here's the AOM counterpart of it.

Still unfinished, and will add more, but here is a rough outline of it. I figured that some people will hopefully benefit from this collection of articles I found. This is mostly a time saving guide that saves people from having to go around all over the web searching for articles. Note that I myself haven't wrote any of these articles.

Some of you may object that it's too early for one of these, but i also figured that instead of going around searching for 100+ articles out there, I'd start out small and gradually work my way up. Mainly for making my work a lot easier so to anybody who objects.

Tip: To use this guide well, do not plan to scroll through the entire thing to look for something. Only focus on what you need. You can search this page for a word you want(for example, 'flush') by pressing ctrl+f. On the window that appears, type in the word(type in 'flush'). This will then search the entire page for that word.

Newbie Guides

An introduction to AoM: Zhaz's newbie guide-An excellent guide for newbies by Zhaz, and one of the best. It is an extensive 5 page guide, which includes a recorded game. For those of you looking for a build order and step-by-step guide, I'm afraid this isn't that sort. It is more of general outlines that every player, whether newbie or intermediate, should follow. I highly recommend this guide to anyone who wants to improve their skill.

New Players Guide-Another excellent newbie guide, along with Zhaz's newbie guide mentioned above.

General Economic Strategy-A good general outline for early archaic economy. It includes a general build order, and as the author says, "Even though I don't believe in specific build orders, general ones are often a great place for beginner's to start, especially if the player is learning "why" something is being done, not just the "what" aspect of it."

General Strategies Outside the Battlefield-A good guide on improving your game.

10 habits of the great AoM players-10 things you have to remember when playing Age of Mythology....at least if you want to become a better player, of course

Want to become a better player, then keep improving your skill?-Six general tips on becoming better.

Economy Guide-"A 5 page long, detailed economy guide. Why does my enemy have more resources than I do? Read it here." This is an introduction from the table of contents at Aom Holland

How to place thing and stuff and stuff-A good guide on where exactly to place gold mines/lumbercamps/granaries. Recommended for any new players, and several experienced players as well.

General Guides

A guide to the maps: Alfheim-An excellent guide to the map alfheim, and it is definitely worth a look. Especially if you seem to get alfheim often in random draws

Hotkey Guide-If you want to improve your custom hotkeys, read this guide by chichiri...one of the top AoM players.

A guide to the maps: Anatolia-Personally, to me, anatolia is one of the more difficult maps to handle. If you're in the same situation as me, or just want to improve on that map, this guide is an excellent one.

Map Control-A nice guide on controlling the maps. Some examples of the topics covered are settlement placing, chokepoints, towers, etc.

Containing your enemy and controlling the map-Another grear guide on controlling the map, this one is definitely worth a look.

Unexpected Surprises-This nice guide is about doing the unexpected. Rush in classical age with Ra, boom hard with Norse, etc. It may catch your opponent off guard

Economy Upgrades-A good general guide on getting economic upgrades.

Hard Choices-An excellent guide on choosing minor gods and predicting what units the enemy will use.

Keeping Your Strategy Consistent-A relatively short article about how you should always keep the pressure on your enemy. A good read.

TIP: Odin GP Great Hunt-Hutning animals usually wander around so that only a few are affected when you use great hunt later on along with herdables. So this tip says to cast it at the start while the animals are packed cclosely together.

General Strategies Outside the Battlefield-A good guide on how to imrpove your gaming skills. Not a "guide", but stuff like "watch recorded games", "play a lot" Don't be afraid to try"...etc.

Economy Guide-"A 5 page long, detailed economy guide. Why does my enemy have more resources than I do? Read it here." This is an introduction from the table of contents at Aom Holland

Gold-pit placement discussion/views/styles-A very impressive post that includes lots of pictures explaining what way one should place their gold mines.

Observations on Counter Units-A nice guide(?) on counter units.

Age of Mythology FAQ/Walkthrough-A very long guide to AOM, with a good campaign walkthrough. The other aspects aren't the best guides you can find, but you can still take a look.

Utilites

AOM Tool-I have not had a chance to use this yet, but it seems like a promising program. It deals with creating build orders and calculating time.

Culture/God Specific Articles

General Greeks

Greek: The way to conquer multiplayer-A build order for the Greeks, though I must admit, I don't know much about Greeks. I can't judge if it's good or not, so I'll leave that up to you. Seems good though

Battle! Greek Hoplites, Hippikons and Toxotes-Tests comparing each of the Greeks classical units

Underworld Passage - When do y'all use it?-A bunch of uses for the Greek god power...underworld passage. (surprise, surprise)

Zeus

UKAK_Sando's Guide to Zeus-The lengthiest and best guide to Zeus I have seen so far. It goes into detail over all Zeus' minor gods and bonuses, as well as a bunch of statistics.

Centaur Strangle-A good strategy where you raid the enemy's economy with centaurs. It includes 5(!!!) recorded games

Poseidon

Guide to Poseidon-A very nice guide to playing the god Poseidon by Mokon.

Pounding Hooves and Flaming Arrows-"An analyzation of the popular Hippikon and Toxote Rush. A complete strategy, including build orders." Author's words

Hades

Hades Civilization Guide-A very good guide on playing Hades. It's an extensive 5 pages!

Hades Overview-A good overall Hades guide, that I think anybody wanting to play him should read. Explains each of his minor god choices and his bonuses.

General Egyptians

What Counters Mercs???-An interesting discussion about countering mercs.

Ra

UKAK_Sando's Guide to Ra-Slightly outdated, yet an excellent guide neverthless. It is definitely worth a look, and it'll greatly benefit you.

Ra Guide-An excellent GENERAL Ra guide, and not the famed fast heroic. But other than that, it is really worth looking at.

Ra Fast Heroic-What can I say? The immensely popular Ra fast heroic guide. A very good guide in fact

Isis

A guide to Isis-An excellent guide to Isis by Zhaz. Definitely a must read..and for people who don't know what he's talking about when Zhaz says Isis is the "Byzantines" of AoM, the Byzantines were a civ. in Aok that played much like Isis.

Isis-Anubis-Nephthys-Osiris-A minor god combo with Isis...why it might be an effective combo.

Gx_Iron's Guide to Isis-Gx_Iron, an expert at AOM, has produced a Q&A type of Isis guide. It is not a build order or anything like that, but more of a "what-to-do-when-you-encounter-this" type of guide.

Set

Can Set pull of a Ra fast Heroic?-Exactly what the title says...can Set pull off a fast heroic like Ra and Odin? You judge after looking at this post

Rock Throwers-A guide on slinger rushing for Set.

The lowdown on the strengths and weakensses of Set (but hey, what do I know)-An average sized guide that goes over each of Set's strengths and weaknesses. It is created in a form of a list.

General Norse

Defeating Greece with Norse-Greece has some military combinations that the Norse have a hard time fighting against in classical. This guide shows how the Norse can beat them effectively.

Ragnarok to Victory!-Ragnarok is a double edged sword that can kill you or the enemy, depending on how it is used. Little_Wing goes through how to effectively use this powerful GP successfully.

Assorted Norse Favor Info-How the Norse gather favor. Many tests and statistics included, and it also solves the long-wondered mystery of Loki hersir summoning.

When Norse Should Create an Ox Cart-A bunch of mathematical formulas that I can't even understand about when a Norse should create an oxcart Unless you want to do all this math(which I don't even understand), I only suggest reading the short summary.

Norse - Solid build order and strategy concepts.-A very very good guide for the Norse, especially Loki. Very nice and in-depth, and I suggest you take a look.

Norse Culture Overview-Slightly outdated, but it's very long. It lists many viable strategies that can be used with Norse, the pros and cons of every minor god, and more.

Einherjar: Classical-Age ram (and more)?-The einherjar used to be considered too slow to be of much use(Though now it's considered too strong). This guide was released during that time, and it's a good guide too. Explains WHY the einherjar is so good.

Ragnarok to Victory-Ragnarok is a very risky god power that is a game ending god power; for you or for the enemy. Read this excellent guide to learn how to best utilise ragnarok.

Odin

Odin Guide-Currently undoubtedly the best Odin guide there is. Highly recommended for anyone.

Odin Cavalry Rush-An Odin RC rush on anatolia, with 4() recorded games.

The Raven-No, not the poem "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe, but the ravens of AoM. A short guide(though a long guide for describing a single unit) that explains how to utilise Odin's raven bonus the best.

Thor

The Thor's Crush Attack-A strategy using Thor on water maps.

Norse Strats-A build order for Odin's FH, Thor's all dwarf build, and Loki's tower rush.

Dwarves, The Backbone of the Norse Economy-Think it should actually be called "Dwarves, The Backbone of the THOR Economy", since it's mainly about Thor. A small build order.

Thor economic analysis-An analysis of Thor's economy.

The Thor Dwarf build-A Thor's dwarf start, by TheShadowDawn. An excellent guide, which includes both a build order and a recorded game, as well as numerous tips.

Thor Overview-A good overall Thor guide.

Thor's Minor Gods-Scroll down to post #2. jwj442 provides thoughtful erm...thoughts() about each of Thor's minor god choices, all the way until mythic age. A very good read.

A GUIDE TO THOR DWARF BUILDING -A very good guide to Thor, with build orders and such. Also worth a look.

Loki

Loki Overview-A very well written guide that focuses mainly on Loki's military skills.

Norse - Solid build order and strategy concepts.-A very very good guide for the Norse, especially Loki. Very nice and in-depth, and I suggest you take a look.

A guide to Loki(Both Water and Land)-A very good guide to playing Loki by L_Clan_Justin. Not too long, but very helpful neverthless. Highly recommended.

Loki Hersir Rush: A Guide-A good guide to the famous Loki hersir rush. This guide will benefit not only Loki rushers, but also people who defend against the Loki rush. Includes two recorded games for demonstration.

Loki myth unit summoning - economic analysis-Meh, I dislike math. Work it out yourself.

Tests and Statistics

Caravan Returns: Informal Study-Where one should place their market-TC caravan route.

AoM Farm Analysis-How much do each of the farming technologies REALLY affect farming rates? A detailed test in here

Bast Economic Upgrades Test-A good test of how much Bast's sacred cats upgrade really effects farming. Seems like it only improves it about 4~6%...

Attack Bonuses-How much of an attack bonus each unit gets against another. It's not finished, but you can still see some, and hopefully it'll be updated soon.

Gathering Rates-Not needed for the average gamer, but helpful anyway. Mostly useful for knowing what resource is collected the fastest and slowest.

Unit tables-Unit tables with statistics for every single unit.

Building Tables-Building tables with statisitcs for every single building.

Favor Gain-How fast each culture gets favor

AOM Real Gather Rates-Gathering rates for each civ's villagers and dwarves.

Battle! Greek Hoplites, Hippikons and Toxotes-Tests comparing each of the Greeks classical units

Miscellaneous

KS_Josey_Whale's recorded game archive. Definitely recommended, for everybody from newbies to experts. Newbies can learn from this expert's playing, and experts can see how other experts play.

Chichiri's AoM Site-A very well organised site that has many recorded games.

Deathmatch & Lightning

Habits of Top DM Players-I don't play DM, but if it's an article that MFO put up, I suppose it's good.

Dr3aM's little Guide to DM-A nice and short guide of some of the key things to remember when playing Deathmatch.

Give me money, and I might feel generous enough to say something kind.
--My The Ultimate AOK Guide--
--My The Ultimate AOM Guide

[This message has been edited by dragons89 (edited 05-15-2003 @ 10:58 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11 February 2003 06:00 AM EDT (US)     76 / 93  
alwaysages: I understand your point, but I'm still disinclined to anything that gives people conflicting opinions.

And the strategy links does contain a few links from this post. Not most of them though. There's only 9 links there right now iirc. If you want a link added, you can always email me or post in the website comments forum and I'll consider it.

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
posted 24 February 2003 11:42 AM EDT (US)     77 / 93  
Just thought this thread could use a *bump* because it's awesome.
posted 10 March 2003 11:44 AM EDT (US)     78 / 93  
Made a large update, not only by adding new links, but deleting some less-useful ones.

posted 12 March 2003 11:28 AM EDT (US)     79 / 93  
I like this thread too. Valuable advice doesn't necessarily have to come from 2000+ players only and the various articles are a nice way to see how different people think playing and planning and producing strats.
*bump*
posted 15 March 2003 11:55 AM EDT (US)     80 / 93  
Here is a post at AOMG with some pretty good build orders! http://aomg.digitallinx.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38&PN=1
posted 18 March 2003 11:19 AM EDT (US)     81 / 93  
*reads*
*tops*

! seilims eht rof elims
posted 05 April 2003 01:44 PM EDT (US)     82 / 93  
Very useful for a new player. Bump.
posted 23 April 2003 06:13 PM EDT (US)     83 / 93  
Bump it. Good for Newbs and Rooks, and I suppose experts could learn {a few} things here.

So, how do you make Villagers, anyway?
Five Days Later: Well, I found out how to make Villies, so can you help me out with building a Temple now?
My ESO name is TheGuy33. Pretty clever, huh?
I thought of an ultra-strategic tongue-twister: "How much food is a Fimbulwinter Wolf?" I don't really know...
posted 23 April 2003 08:53 PM EDT (US)     84 / 93  
I noticed you've got a couple of my articles linked in your thread. Just FYI I've done more articles since then and they can all be found at http://ksjoseywales.nodecam.com/index.php?cat=1 . If you do decide to include any of them in your guide I ask that you just use my main page as the link please and thanks you.

You'll also find some more articles going up there in the coming weeks .

[This message has been edited by KS_Josey_Wales (edited 04-23-2003 @ 08:54 PM).]

posted 24 April 2003 02:09 AM EDT (US)     85 / 93  
Hehe...I forgot about this too. I'll update it asap.

posted 09 May 2003 08:36 PM EDT (US)     86 / 93  
it there are still some people who don´t know this tool:
http://www.resort.net.tc

MfG
Wallace

Check out the Realtime ESO Ranking Tool

posted 11 May 2003 02:03 PM EDT (US)     87 / 93  
*bump*
posted 11 May 2003 10:12 PM EDT (US)     88 / 93  
You know, it's about time they made this topic Sticky

So, how do you make Villagers, anyway?
Five Days Later: Well, I found out how to make Villies, so can you help me out with building a Temple now?
My ESO name is TheGuy33. Pretty clever, huh?
I thought of an ultra-strategic tongue-twister: "How much food is a Fimbulwinter Wolf?" I don't really know...
posted 12 May 2003 00:58 AM EDT (US)     89 / 93  
sheesh get rid of that "no farm Ra FH." Hehe this might actually get stickied now due to the fact that it's main opposer TSD no longer works for site, and one of it's supporters, Darknight, now does. Er, I'm making assumptions based on first couple of pages.
posted 12 May 2003 11:56 AM EDT (US)     90 / 93  
*bump* I think they shuold sticky this
posted 12 May 2003 01:20 PM EDT (US)     91 / 93  
I made a small update. Added a few new links and got rid of a bunch of broken ones

posted 14 May 2003 04:57 PM EDT (US)     92 / 93  
Theres a error on josey wales and my sites. They are both connected in the coding, so when you click on the messed up half of the text on my site it will lead to josey's site instead.
posted 15 May 2003 10:59 AM EDT (US)     93 / 93  
Mistake? What mistake?

Thanks for pointing that out, chichiri

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » The Ultimate AOM Guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames