You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: No Text on Menu Fix.
posted 27 December 2002 04:12 AM EDT (US)   
Method 1: Update the Display Drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Visit the website of your video cards manifacturer and update to the latest drivers available.

Method 2: Copy *.msk fonts from the game disk 1 into Age of Mythology folder on your hard drive.

1. Insert disk 1 into your CD-ROM drive.
2. Click on Start point to Run and type:
<CD-ROM drive>:\AOM\Fonts.
3. Click Edit/Select All. Click Edit and then choose Copy. Close the Window.
4. Open Age of Mythology fonts directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of
Mythology\Fonts.
5. Click Edit and choose Paste. Be sure to overwrite all existing files.
6. Next we need to clear the read-only attribute on these files. Click Edit and
Select all.
7. Click File and Properties.
8. Uncheck the Read-only attribute and click Ok.
9. Now some of the MSK files must be renamed. First delete the following files:

a. Go to Start, search and Choose for files and folders.
b. Search for files called (without the quotations) "arial unicode ms.msk"
c. Look in the Hard Drive. (Usually it's "c:") Make sure that you have selected Search Hidden files and folders under the More Advanced Options.
d. Click on Search.
e. When the Find results are displayed, right click on the file name of the file that it has found.
f. Choose rename.
g. Remove the name of the file and type in(without qotations): "OLDarial unicode ms.msk"
h. Hit enter on your key
i. repeat steps 2 to 8 with the following file names:

courier new.msk
friz quadrata tt.msk
giovanni book.msk
giovanni test.msk
giovanniitctt.msk
imeuisettings.xml
times new roman.msk.

10 Rename the following files:

a. Go to Start, search and Choose for files and folders.
b. Search for files called (without the quotations) "arialu_1.msk"
c. Look in the Hard Drive. (Usually it's "c:") Make sure that you have selected Search Hidden files and folders under the More Advanced Options.
d. Click on Search.
e. When the Find results are displayed, right click on the file name of the file that it has found.
f. Choose rename.
g. Remove the name of the file and type in(without qotations): "arial unicode ms.msk"
h. Hit enter on your key
i. repeat steps 2 to 8 with the following file names:

OLD NAME -- NEW NAME
courie_1.msk -- courier new.msk
frizqu_1.msk -- friz quadrata tt.msk
giovan_1.msk -- giovanni book.msk
giovan_2.msk -- giovanni test.msk
giovan_3.msk -- giovanniitctt.msk
imeuis_1.xml -- imeuisettings.xml
timesn_1.msk -- times new roman.msk

11. Test the game again.

Replies:
posted 27 December 2002 09:34 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
I followed your directions. There is still no text on my menu buttons. This is so frustrating. I have done all the suggestions of FAQ's. Any other ideas? Game plays fine if you can figure out what buttons to push to get into it.
Thanks
posted 27 December 2002 01:44 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Get online support from Microsoft, if all else fails.
posted 31 December 2002 04:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
This is ridiculous.

I have a high-end system (aside from my graphics card) and I'm having the same problem.

If it is the display drivers for my Voodoo 3 16mb card causing the problem, then I don't know how or where to "update" them (if such a thing is possible).

I was wondering if any particular problems with the Voodoo 3 might cause this, or is this a different hardware problem? Any more help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

posted 01 January 2003 12:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
I did a complete reformat/reinstal and it works .. which proves that I had software problem somewhere .. very shoddy solution .. no other games have caused so much hassle.
posted 01 January 2003 09:41 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
I thought I would let you know how mine was finally fixed. I have been emailing with MS support for a week. I updated drivers and reinstalled fonts, etc. What finally fixed the "no text" problem was to uninstall the game. Then I did a clean boot of Windows. (I have Win98) Then I reinstalled the game in completely different folder. Like games/age of mythology. I then did a regular boot and started the game. There was finally text on the buttons. The curser is still gray but I can live with that.

Thought this might help someone.

posted 07 January 2003 04:25 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
i called up the support number and this is what they told me to do...and it worked...

1. Go into Control Panel and into the Fonts folder.
2. Deleted any fonts with Georgia (Bold, Bold Italic, Italic)
3. Go into File and Install New Fonts
4. Browse to your CD Rom drive.
5. At the very Root folder you should see Georgia (Bold, Bold Italic, Italic)
6. Click all four and click ok.
7. You should see the fonts back in the Fonts folder
8. Start the game and you should see it.

posted 07 January 2003 08:47 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
HUGE man, thanx so much for posting that, it worked for me to. I was trying to get a hold of mocrosoft but it was taking so long I gave up. thanx again for posting that
posted 08 January 2003 02:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
Thankyou very very much i've been playin blind since xmas
posted 09 February 2003 05:58 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
Yeah, when i had the alpha i had problems like that. Menu and text wouldn't display.

the 3dfx voodoo3 cards cause lots of other problems too, like the lighting cycles don't full work accept in cinematics.
Upgrade the driver for your card, you'll probably have to get a 3rd party one since 3dfx Went out of business 2 years ago.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 08 April 2003 11:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
I dont know what is wrong here nothing works for me ive tried everything. I am pretty sure my font files are corrupted, is there any place I can download some fonts that work Help me please I cant unlock the full potential of the game whan I dont know the names of any of the units and can only play one scenario because I mmorized how to get it.
posted 09 April 2003 08:28 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
nevermind i fixed it arial was the only uncorrupted one so I set all the fonts as arial.
posted 06 October 2007 07:02 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
hi people. im really stuck. ive had AoM for ages now and the game works fine, single player menus and all. Ive decided to try and play multiplayer but when i try to create an account it says "Unknown error retrieving Country information" and the country box is blank and empty. Plzzzz help. I dont think its the same issue as the whole menu going blank but..
posted 09 December 2007 05:30 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Technical Help » No Text on Menu Fix.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames