You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Having trouble with the CONDITION “Unit in Area?” This would likely help
posted 03 January 2003 08:34 PM EDT (US)   
Hi there,

If you’re reading this, chances are that the Condition Unit in Area has given you quite some troubles, as it did give me a lot of headache in trying to get it to work . If you haven’t been able to get it to work yet, not to worry. I’ve been able to, and I’ll explain how to use it in a moment.

If you’re new to scenario designing, I recommend that you read the Scenario Design FAQ first =).

---------------------------------------

Four things main things that you need to know

1) Center Unit
2) Unit Type
3) Radius
4) Operator

Center Unit - the center unit is the center of your area. When you use the CONDITION "Unit in Area", you must create a center unit for your area, so that the trigger will work.

A center unit can be any selectable object -- commonly, a cinematic block is used. Select the object you want and click the Center Unit button:

Unit Type - This is the unit that will be detected when it is in the area.

**Notes**: if the name is left as the default (which is "Unit"), or if the name is left blank, then the Unit Type will include any unit belonging to that player.

Radius - The radius is the distance from the center of the area to the outside. Radius should not be confused with the Tile.

the little square units that you see are the Tile (not Radius). 2 radii make up 1 tile.

Operator - The operators are related to the Unit Count. Let's say that if the condition is to detect when 5 Jarls in an area, then the operators would mean:

== . 5 Jarls
>= . 5 Jarls and more
<= . 5 Jarls and less

> . . More than 5 Jarls
< . . Less than 5 Jarls

A last reminder: make sure your trigger's Priority is set as High. Anything else would not fire correctly on time.

Thanks to Kan_Apo for the corrections!
Have fun designing =)

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 12-31-2003 @ 06:11 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03 January 2003 09:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 24  
Great work !
posted 04 January 2003 02:10 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24  
In a way typing in a units name is faster... If you know how to spell it...

I didn't know about the spacing with the radi thing, but figured out the best amount for my usages.

I can see how the operators can be comfusing... Plus if you get the wrong one by accident it can realy mess things up bad, especialy in a blood map.

posted 04 January 2003 06:39 AM EDT (US)     3 / 24  
i still dont understand it...
posted 04 January 2003 02:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 24  
wow.. this is a great description...

hehe, well for anyone having trouble w/ this...

anyway, i think this is worthy of being a sticky or at least a link in the faq.

@ bo blah blah ma....

umm.. taken geometry yet? if not... i guess youre out of luck ...

someone once asked me: "Why do you like Shakira so much?"
I replied: "cuz..... *Latin beat starts*
I LIKE IT LIKE THAT!!! I--LIKE--IT LIKE--DAT!!!
*chorus* *HE LIKES-IT LIKE THAT!!!....... "
<<<<see 4 urself>>>>
posted 05 January 2003 02:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24  
bo shek,

which part are you having problems with? The part about the Radius, or the part about the Operator?

posted 05 January 2003 10:34 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24  
less than or equal to has been working fine for me in my blood...

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
posted 05 January 2003 10:58 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24  
Death, you might want to give your trigger another look.

The "Less Than or Equal to" sign <= will activate the effect no matter where the unit is on the map. Thus, that sign is of no use.

posted 05 January 2003 11:30 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24  
I was wondering, maybe this has already been asked, but, what is the defualt for any unit in the "UNIT TYPE" line? I was hoping to make signs, that when a freindly unit came near the sign post a message would read out. I didnt want to limit the freindly unit to one type. I was hoping any freindly unit. Any ideas? Thank you.

Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, requit yourselves like men, be strong. Let all your things be done with love.
Paul ICor.16:13-14
posted 06 January 2003 03:51 AM EDT (US)     9 / 24  
Ah, thanks! I didn't know about that =).

Unit Type

**Notes**: if the name is left as the default (which is "Unit"), or if the name is left blank, then the Unit Type will include any unit belonging to that player.

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 01-06-2003 @ 04:04 AM).]

posted 20 January 2003 11:31 AM EDT (US)     10 / 24  
I'm having troble with it working. I set the radius to 6 then I make the effect have my fighter go into the 6 radius and nothing happens is something wrong with my machine? And it also does not show the darkend area around it and I think it is 6 radius awaay from the unit not 6 radius then a circle.
Thanks
posted 20 January 2003 03:08 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24  
Hi Coopguy,

Could you please type out your trigger, so it would be easy for me to see what you might have done wrong?

By the way, the darken area you see in my screenshots were made by a painting program to help with the illustration. It isn't suppose to look like that in the editor . The only thing that you can use is the Terrain Grid:

posted 20 January 2003 06:57 PM EDT (US)     12 / 24  
First I set it to unit in area then I leave unit default then set it to 6 on radius and then == on the other thing I don't know what to do about the bottom thing you never told use. For the effect I do a camrashake at some number I forget it sorry.
thanks

[This message has been edited by Coopguy_700 (edited 01-20-2003 @ 07:03 PM).]

posted 20 January 2003 07:21 PM EDT (US)     13 / 24  
How do you put screenshots in? I have the pitcher and I shrank it but how do you put it in?

No need I figurd it out.

Can you see my picture?
if not please tell me because then something is wrong and i need to know because I can not see the picture.
hope you can help me thanks

[This message has been edited by Coopguy_700 (edited 01-20-2003 @ 07:59 PM).]

posted 21 January 2003 02:32 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24  
Hi Coopguy,

Your picture doesn't show up, and I think it's because your file have the wrong extension ".htm", which should have been ".jpg"

About your trigger: did you make a Center Unit? To create an area, you must create an object and make it the center unit of your area.

posted 22 January 2003 11:05 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24  
what do you mean center unit

[This message has been edited by Coopguy_700 (edited 01-22-2003 @ 11:09 AM).]

posted 22 January 2003 02:59 PM EDT (US)     16 / 24  
Hey Coop,

The Center Unit is the center of your area. When you use the CONDITION "Unit in Area", you must create a center unit for your area, so that the trigger will work. (See the button next to the Show button.)

For example, the center unit being used here is the red-blue cinematic block:

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 01-22-2003 @ 03:00 PM).]

posted 22 January 2003 09:04 PM EDT (US)     17 / 24  
Thanks now I get it!

Do you explain any other triggers?

posted 24 January 2003 12:11 PM EDT (US)     18 / 24  
Hey Alexander.
I've read your post and i found it weird that the sign ">=" includes tha area inside the radius.I mean wouldn't that be normally the "<=" sign?
So,i decided to do some tests and came to the conclusion that all the operators work just fine.You know why?Cause the operators are related to the unit count,not to the radius!The related area is always the area inside the radius.
I.e.:
Center unit:A cinematic block
Unit type:Jarl
Radius:10
Operator:>=
Count:5

This condition means that the effect will take place only when there are at least five jarls in the area that is inside the radius.
Yeah i was shocked too to notice that .

posted 21 February 2003 06:59 PM EDT (US)     19 / 24  
Kan,

I should look at it again. Thanks for the info =)

posted 23 February 2003 01:56 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24  
Short:
< and <= : the effect will work outside the "radius"
=,>= and > : the effect will work inside.
posted 01 March 2003 11:49 AM EDT (US)     21 / 24  
i tried and did all the things you guy's sad BUT is still not works.

I put it on:
Center unit: Cinematic block.
Player: 1
Unit type: Unit
Radius: 6
Operator: ==
Count: 1

Please help me (i'm dutch)

posted 01 March 2003 12:10 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24  
is there any possebility of "activating a trigger" with an effect of an other trigger?
posted 01 March 2003 12:42 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24  
ok the AREA thing is done. but how works the CHAT STATUS i don't know. now is can't let them speak one after the other.

help me please.

posted 02 March 2003 09:44 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24  
Hi,

To activate a trigger, use the Effect Fire Event. As to the Chat Status... I'm not sure about it =). You might want to post that question in Angel Shadow's Scenario Editor FAQ. Someone maybe able to help you.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Having trouble with the CONDITION “Unit in Area?” This would likely help
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames