You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Campaign Showcase: Diamond Diplomacy (Help Wanted)
posted 20 May 2003 07:16 PM EDT (US)   
Introduction:

This thread will be based on the scenario, and possible campaign, that I am currently working on. I hope that many of you can help answer some of the questions I will be asking, for the sooner I receive your help, the sooner I can release this potential campaign for play.

First of all, the campaign will be based on the story I'm writing and hoping to publish. I've called it "Diamond Diplomacy" for lack of a better title. I usually give my work titles when I finish them, but that one will have to do for now.

Storyline:

This is kind of long, you may skip it if you deem necessary, but it's crucial to understand if you want to play this campaign.

(Please look at the bottom of the post for map references and other pictures that illustrate my story.)

For centuries the kingdoms of Grekor and Rolkiham had been at war. It had been a war that had been fought for no better reason than their kings' simple greed. After the death of the wretched king of Rolkiham, a new and grateful king arose. His name was Rokoith and he sought to end the war between the two nations and bind them with a powerful alliance.

During one battle, the king of Grekor died as he watched from his horse, which stood upon a grassy knoll. The cause of death was spontaneous and unknown, yet thought to be a stroke. His son, Boslodimir, was to inherit the throne, but the royal council thought it best that the older and wiser Thaenor (the dead king's brother) lead the kingdom instead. This infuriated Boslodimir and led drove him to complete madness when, after demanding reconsideration, the royal council stood by their decisions. They had thought Boslodimir to be too young and perhaps too immature to lead their nation. Besides, the people of Grekor sought a king who could end the great war, for everyman was battle-worn. Boslodimir would have carried in his father's foot steps and the council did not want this to happen.

Rolkoith sent representatives to Grekor after hearing about the royal council's decision. There, the representatives would speak with Thaenor and the council about a potential alliance. They come up with the idea, that since Thaenor has a son (Hernegus) and Rokoith has a daughter (Mekki) that it would seem best to arrange their marriage in order to bind the alliance.

Hernegus agreed with the idea, for not only did he want to end the great war, but also he already felt something for Mekki. In the past, Hernegus and his loyal companion, Marlayne, would travel to the capitol of Rolkiham to see Mekki as she performed on stage as an actress to please her kingdom's people and raise their moral for battle.

After everything had been agreed upon by both sides, Rokoith prepared a royal convoy for Mekki to ride to Grekor. Rokoith would not attend her, however, for there was still great tension in the world and he could not risk his life to grant his people an alliance. (This will be better explained in the actually story I'm writting. It is far too complicated to go into detail right now.) Mekki's convoy is led by Rokoiths most loyal nobles, Aafolyth and Arvirid. These two nobles are brothers and have extraordinary skill. Aafolyth is the fastest rider in all the lands and Arvirid is most agile with the sword.

The convoy is also guarded by a number of horsemen and swordsmen, who will play an important role in the skirmish of Daeia. As the convoy enters the dark forest of Daeia (pronounced DAY-UH), they are attacked by a hoard of goblins who had been ordered by Boslodimir to capture them.

The entire story is based on Boslodimir's revenge, so he's going to try to stop the alliance from forming. He also sides with the orc nations of Valdor and Merecidor to stop the alliance and help him gain control of the Grekorian throne. He also attempts to murder Thaenor, which, after succeeding, frames Mekki and Hernegus. Because both of them had been captured at Daeia, he makes it look like they had eloped.

The capture at Daeia isn't quite a complete success, however, because Hernegus manages to free Mekki and flee to the Elfin forest of Eliadia (pronounced ELLY-A-DEE-UH or ELLY-AH-DEE-UH). They cannot come back to Decia (the Grekorian capitol, pronouned DES-EE-AH), for they would be captured and executed by Boslodimir's men.

Boslodimir's men follow Hernegus into Eliadia and manage to take the Elfin city. Many men and elves (including Marlayne, Arvirid, Mekki, and Aafolyth) flee to Yusmouth of Fedek, which is the most defensive position in their world. Yusmouth is a natural mountain fort and the only entrance to the dwarven mountains of Fedek.

Hernegus does not accompany them to Yusmouth, in fact, he doesn't even know that Boslodimir's men followed them into Eliadia. After his arrival he went to see the oracle who lives in the forest of Elingrad, the Elfin city of the damned. There he will meet Cryxibus and learn about the fate of his lover, Mekki, and the fate of the alliance.

***This is where I leave off, I do not progress anymore with the campaign so far. Sorry I made that so long, but the story is far too complex and I needed to add as much detail as I possibly could.

Campaign Outline:

Scenario #1: A Decisive Battle
-BeginningCinematic: The Indroduction. Shows how Grekor and Rolkiham have been battle-riden for centuries.
-Gameplay: You fight the last major battle of the great war between Grekor and Rolkiham. At the end, Grekor's kind dies.
-Ending Cinematic: Shows the mourning of the death of the Grekorian king, then pans over to Thaenor becoming the new king and Boslodimir throwing a fit.

Scenario #2: The Skirmish of Daeia
-BeginningCinematic: Shows the meeting with the royal council and Mekki's convoy being prepared.
-Gameplay: You control Mekki's convoy and you have to fight and win the skirimish of Daeia.
-Ending Cinematic: The convoy is captured by Boslodimir's men and hired goblins.

Scenario #3: The Wretched Traitor
-BeginningCinematic: Shows Hernegus riding off to Daeia with Marlayne and a few other men to check on Mekki's convoy since it had been over three hours late.
-Gameplay: This scenario is based at night, you have to take Hernegus and his men to the convoy and recapture Mekki.
-Ending Cinematic: Hernegus, Mekki, Aafolyth, Arvirid, and Marlayne ride off to Eliadia. Hernegus learns of the traitorous motives of his cousin, Boslodimir.

Scenario #4: The Battle of Eliadia
-BeginningCinematic: Hernegus, Mekki, Aafolyth, Arvirid, and Marlayne arrive at dawn and Hernegus goes off with Erwin (the maiden elf) to seek the oracle.
-Gameplay: You must fight Boslodimir's invading forces at the Battle of Eliadia.
-Ending Cinematic: Shows Mekki, Aafolyth, Arvirid, and Marlayne fleeing to Yusmouth for shelter.

Scenario #5: The Battle of Yusmouth
-BeginningCinematic: Mekki, Aafolyth, Arvirid, and Marlayne arrive at Yusmouth.
-Gameplay: You must climb to the summit of Yusmouth and prepare a force to defend from Boslodimir's continuing invasion. You will be aided by both the elves and dwarves.
-Ending Cinematic: Mekki is captured once again; Aafolyth is thought to have died; Marlayne is also captured; and Arvirid dies trying to defend Mekki from capture. Pans back over to Hernegus and Cryxibus as they prepare to leave the oracle and come to Mekki's aid.

I may continue the campaign, but I want to leave people hanging here. Because the story will have many twists and turns.

What I need to finish:

I have absolutely no idea how to do the following:

-How to make Cinematics
-How to make Objectives
-How to make Objective messages appear in game
-How to set scenario information (like how you could in AOK)
-How to add voice

Okay, I do know how to record, I'm not a complete retard, but I haven't worked with adding voice to the dialog yet. All I need is a basic overview for that.

I could use some help with any of the above. People who help me will be awarded with their names added into the credits. I wish I had T-Shirts or something to give away, sorry. Perhaps, if my book becomes a success, those of you who help me will receive a free copy. Sorry, but I don't know how else to repay you.

I really would apprechiate it if someone who is skilled at making cinematics can make my cinematics for me. If you volunteer, I will send you the complete dialog.

Also, if you want to do voice acting, let me know.

What I have so far:

I am almost finished with the fifth scenario (The Battle of Yusmouth). I've been working on this one for about a month and a half, and the reason I'm working backwards is because this scenario is like the "mother" of the others, meaning it's going to be the most fun because it won't have as much role playing as the others. It also involves a long battle near the end, so people who like that sort of stuff will love this scenario. The Battle of Yusmouth reminds me of Helms Deep, so if people liked that battle, this one will be a killer!

I may need some help for designing the others if people are interested in this idea and want to see it release soon, I could really use some help. I'm running out of time for this project seeing as I'll be getting a job soon and going to college. Without help, I'm guessing this project could be finished in six (6) months, and the expansion pack will be out by then, so this idea would be useless by then.

If I can have some help then I estimate this project to be ready by the end of July.

So if anyone is interested, please say so! Thanks in advance everyone!

Other Notes:

You can go to my Elfwood page to see my drawings that illustrate my story. There's a map and a drawing of the Skirmish of Daeia scene.

World Map (Note: Rolkeim has been changed to Rolkiham)

Scene: Skirmish of Daeia

My Elfwood Page

Sorry for such a long post.

//////////////-Halus-Cryxibus-\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
**********--Halo-Cryxos--**********
*######################*
*######################*
*######################*

[This message has been edited by Halo (edited 05-20-2003 @ 07:17 PM).]

Replies:
posted 20 May 2003 08:06 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23  
to add voices you need to record your sections in mp3 format or convert later. Then, add a new folder in the sound folder of AOM call it 'yours' 'new' whatever. Place your mp3 file in it. In your triggers, add an effect 'sound filename' click brouse, find your file, click it(i dont think double click works) press open and in the window next to brouse it should be written in the box. there ya go. btw if you use voices, it might be a bugger to download because of size of the voice files.Keep that in mind. However, good luck with your scenario.
posted 20 May 2003 08:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23  
Can anyone tell me how to keep a person from deleting a specific object?

The death of a certain hero unit grants a player a god power in vision of that unit's prowess (i.e. unit is good with medicine in the story, so he grants you restoration when he dies).

Can anyone tell me how to have an army target a specific building, then continue to march after they destroy it?

Does the player's score NOT show up in the Playtest Scenario screen? Because I never see it.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 20 May 2003 08:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23  
-How to make Cinematics
You have to use a trigger. First turn Cinematic Mode on, then use the effects Camera Track, Camera Cut, as well as other regular effects to make some animation, then turn Cinematic Mode off again; you can create and edit camera tracks under the camera track editor (camera icon on the toolbar), but you'll need Reyk's editor mod to be able to change pitch while doing this

-How to make Objectives
-How to make Objective messages appear in game

There's an Objectives screen that can be accessed from one of the menus where you can set their text; you then have to enable/disable each specific objective using a trigger

-How to set scenario information (like how you could in AOK)
You mean the intro screen with text and a map? Unfortunately there's no way to do this, though you could use a custom map image as your background if you create a campaign joining your scenarios up; you'll have to use in-game cinematics and objectives to tell the story

Can anyone tell me how to keep a person from deleting a specific object?
The only way I can think of is to make the object one of the campaign heroes, since they can't be deleted

Can anyone tell me how to have an army target a specific building, then continue to march after they destroy it?
You need triggers; first task it to a building with one trigger, then make a new trigger with condition: the building is dead and effect: task the army somewhere else

Does the player's score NOT show up in the Playtest Scenario screen? Because I never see it.
It should show up, maybe press F4 to turn score on? Also, make sure the player's visibility is not set to Hidden under player options.

Anyway this campaign sounds quite interesting and detailed, good luck on it!

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
posted 20 May 2003 09:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23  
YOu have been most helpful Matei!

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 20 May 2003 10:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23  

Quote:

How to make Cinematics

Check out the Cinematics Guide( click on the link on my sig)

[This message has been edited by Gaurdian112 (edited 05-20-2003 @ 10:32 PM).]

posted 20 May 2003 11:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23  
Thanks! Can anyone tell me the numbers for difficulty levels?

Is "0" easy? Or is "1" easy?

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 20 May 2003 11:23 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23  
How do you target an army to destroy a specific building?

I'm working with ghost armies here, and I'm setting "Army Move to Unit" effects, but they don't attack the gate that I set as the unit to move to.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 21 May 2003 10:41 AM EDT (US)     8 / 23  
this sounds great, halo. i cant wait until it is available. isee that most of your questions are already answered but if there is any possible way that i can help i'd be glad to do it. i have not had much to with designing and i have been having trouble getting my own inspiration so i want to help others make theirs. let me know if i can help you. you can post here or email me at andy1lax@hotmail.com
posted 21 May 2003 12:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23  
can you please email it to me too?
my email:removed
thx... sounds so great!

Few people dare challenge a Toe. should one do so, there is one less...

[This message has been edited by Toe of Doom (edited 05-22-2003 @ 12:20 PM).]

posted 21 May 2003 12:44 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23  
Thanks guys!

I really need help with the cinematics because things haven't really been going so well with them. The camera gets all jumpy and I hate it. It's really frustrating.

Is there any way to bypass the villager or dwarf limits?

As soon as I finish the triggers for the "invading forces" I'll send it to you guys. Unless either of you can help me with cinematics and such, then I'll send it sooner!

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 21 May 2003 02:49 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23  
Can someone answer the question(s) in the tenth (10th) reply?

Thanks

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 21 May 2003 03:01 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23  
i dont know if this would work but have a trigger that says when pop limit is fulfilled have certain units show up. sorta like a donation

like i said i dont know if this would work but i havent realy looked anything over.

THEOPHILUS

posted 21 May 2003 03:03 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23  
yea maybe the effect Unit Create would work.
posted 21 May 2003 09:23 PM EDT (US)     14 / 23  
*Dances*

Almost finished with scenario five!

Then all I need to do is add voice and sound!

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 21 May 2003 10:58 PM EDT (US)     15 / 23  
What are the difficulty levels?

0 easy
1 medium
2 hard
3 titan

Is that correct?

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 22 May 2003 00:07 AM EDT (US)     16 / 23  
Yeah, I think so.. Good luck with the campaign.
posted 22 May 2003 12:55 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23  
halo, just want some feedback, but did my suggestion work incase i need to use it in one of my scenarioes?

THEOPHILUS

posted 22 May 2003 01:36 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23  
Sorry, theophilus, but your suggestion has its limitations. It CAN work, but not the way I was hoping. I want the player to be able to continue to make dwarves without the icon darkening.

You suggestion could work, but it would be a bit harder.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 22 May 2003 01:41 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23  
so how did you "bypass the villager/dwarf limit?"

THEOPHILUS

posted 22 May 2003 01:57 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23  
VOICE ACTORS NEEDED!

I need voice actors for any of the following characters:

Hernegus
Mekki
Boslodimir
Dargnorri
Arvirid
Aafolyth
Thaenor
Rokoith
Marlayne
Dwarven Guard
Elfin Officer

The accents needed are English (Thaenor, Hernegus, Mekki, Marlayne, Rokoith, and Elfin Officer), Gaelic/ Scottish/ Irish (Arvirid and Aafolyth), Germanic/ Norwegian (Dwarven Guard), and Deep, Raspy English (Dargnorri). Boslodimir needs to have a sincere English voice; Hernegus, Marlayne, Arvirid, and Aafolyth need to sound heroic; Mekki is the only female character and needs to sound almost fearless, yet innocent at the same time. The Elfin Officer and Dwarven Guard will need to sound determined. Dargnorri is orcish human so he needs to have a really deep, raspy, evil sound to his voice. And lastly, Thaenor and Rokoith need to sound like kings, rich and humble.

Here are the pronunciations of the character's names:

Hernegus:......(HER-NUH-GUS)
Mekki:.........(MEK-I) That's a long 'I'.
Boslodimir:....(BOS-LOD-EM-IR)
Dargnorri:.....(DARG-NOR-I) That's a long 'I'.
Arvirid:.......(AIR-VIR-ID)
Aafolyth:......(AF-O-LITH) That's a short 'A'.
Thaenor:.......(THAY-NOR)
Rokoith:.......(RO-KO-ETH)
Marlayne:......(MAR-LAINE) Second 'A' is long.

If you're interested, pick a character and I'll post all of their lines in this thread. There aren't many lines for each character, in fact some don't even have lines yet.

So far the only characters with lines are: Mekki, Boslodimir, Arvirid, Aafolyth, Marlayne, Dwarven Guard, and Elfin Officer.

If no one is interested, no big deal. I'll find an alternative way to complete this scenario. When I complete the dialogue voices, then I'll move on to the rest of the campaign.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 22 May 2003 02:01 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23  

Quoted from THEOPHILUS:

so how did you "bypass the villager/dwarf limit?"

I didn't, I just left it alone. I don't think the player needs anymore dwarves than 30 to play with anyway. Besides, if they die he/ she can always retrain them.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 23 May 2003 11:39 AM EDT (US)     22 / 23  
ok i know what voice acting IS but how would i go about doing it?

THEOPHILUS

posted 23 May 2003 12:39 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23  
im guesing that you record your voice through a microphone using the recorder in accersories in the start menu.. then set a trigger to load it such as playsound or something and browse it up..

well anyways.. can you just send me the map so i can see?? email: toesofhell@yahoo.com

but what i really want to no is how did you come up with the storyline.. im trying to make one up but its really hard.. and in the triggers, what is priority? does it make a difference?

Few people dare challenge a Toe. should one do so, there is one less...

[This message has been edited by Toe of Doom (edited 05-23-2003 @ 12:59 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Campaign Showcase: Diamond Diplomacy (Help Wanted)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames