Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Your Divine Overlord, King Jared: An Autobiography
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 02 August 2005 06:48 PM EDT (US)   
Yes, yes. As it seems to be all the rage nowadays to post an autobiography regarding one's scenario and modpack design history, and because I've specifically been asked to do so, I've indeed done just that. It's actually been taken directly from my personal webpage and lightly censored for the faint at heart here at HG. So without further ado, this is my story....

Your Divine Overlord, King Jared: An Autobiography

Let's go back, now, to a simpler time: December 2000. My father, being suspicious and paranoid, forbade us from getting a decent computer until the danger of Y2K (remember that crap?) had long since passed. And what was the very first game I got to play on that computer? You guessed it; the Ensemble Studios instant classic, Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. Needless to say, I was dazzled, and thus began my obsession with the RTS genre. And, shortly thereafter, my greater obsession with scenario design.

It was about this time that I was turned onto Age of Kings Heaven, to which I was registered as Warlord Jared. The community there and at other HeavenGames sites proved very valuable to me, then and now. Moving on, the Age of Kings days were somewhat awkward. I'll mention now that, although I was aware of modpacks, I wasn't very skilled at the sprite-based unit editing, and so payed little attention to the discipline. Back to scenario design, at that time I had only a semi-solid grasp of what I was doing with the maps and triggers, and didn't quite have the maturity to form very original stories. I worked for some time on a campaign based around a hero named, incidently, Warlord Haared, set sometime between the 13th and 14th centuries. In the end, the entire series was never finished, although I did release the first part, General of the Holy City, to a lukewarm rating (3.4). I then moved onto a new campaign, The Last King, which, although it came very close, was, again, never finished.... you'll see a trend emerging.

Why didn't I finish the campaign so close to the end, you ask? Well, a few months before, I'd seen something very exciting in an issue of Star Wars Insider: a Star Wars-based RTS game was coming, based on the Age of Kings engine. And, just as I was nearing the end of The Last King, it was released. Alas, in my excitement, I dropped everything and never looked back. Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds had cometh. And it did not disappoint. I moved my Internet haunt from AOKH to Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Heaven. And as the months with the new game passed, my scenario design skills improved. I released what was originally supposed to be a two-scenario mini campaign, A Crumbling Republic, as a super-demo of a full length, future campaign to rave reviews (4.8). Indeed, it remains the 47th top rated download at SWGBH. And yes, I am indeed boasting. I then moved onto a new campaign, Imperial Entanglement: The Tale of Beren Sykes, for which I released a demo to lesser acclaim (4.6). This campaign was also never completed, although it too came close. Similarly, the full version of A Crumbling Republic was only started by the time a new game had come to my attention.

That attention-snatching game was Age of Mythology, the newest by Ensemble Studios at that time.
I was blown away. Better graphics, better effects, better editor, and better gameplay. The cinematic mode feature had opened up a whole new level of design. And, unlike its predecessors, the game's graphics were 3D model based rather than 2D sprite-based, so editing them for a modpack became that much easier. So, once again, I dropped everything and never looked back, moving my Internet haunt from SWGBH to Age of Mythology Heaven. At first, as I got a grip on the new editor, which was significantly more complicated than the other editors I'd worked with, I set out the redesign The Last King for Age of Mythology. However, I soon became bored with the idea and moved onto a new project, Gods and Mortals, which I also soon became bored with. During this time, I had already begun experimenting with modifying the various game files, it being far easier compared to modifying the sprite-based games of the past.

This brings us to the Spring of 2003. An exciting time had come: I was to go on a trip to Europe with my friends. I needed an email address to keep in touch, and my old, spam-filled warlord_jared account simply wasn't good enough anymore. So, using a nickname from school, my email became big_vitt. But why stop there? I thought. Thus, in my maniacal state of mind, I promoted myself from the amateur title of Warlord Jared to the grand title of King Jared, whom you know and love.

After my return from Europe (which was effin' awesome, by the way), I moved onto a new project, The Lay of Vestrigard, for which, after weeks of work, I released a cinematic prologue, which remains one of the top rated files at AOMH. Again, boasting. However, after much frustration trying to find a willing AI scripter, I decided to cancel the project. I began a new campaign, The Last Stand of Atlantis. The project grew and grew, and to this date has yet to be completed, to the disappointment of the small fanbase that grew in its wake. As I worked on the project, my skill with modpacks also grew. I released two independent modpacks during 2004, Gladiator - Maximus and Motsognir the Mighty, both to rave reviews (5.0). Boasting. My community life grew as well during this time. The Lay of Vestrigard and the previews of The Last Stand of Atlantis gave me recognition in the scenario design community, and I was offered a spot on the short-lived Midas Touch design team. I soon left that team to join the ranks of one of the old school Age of Kings design teams, Tsunami Studios. I remain a proud member of the team today. Furthermore, Gladiator - Maximus gave me recognition in the modpack design community, and I became a member of the Age of Mythology Modders/Mappers Clan (AOMM/MC) and Creatrix Animatus, working on a few joint projects with other members. However, as the Summer of 2004 came and I was forced to actually get a job, I began to drift away from the design community. I simply didn't have the will or energy to spend as much time on it.

This brings us to the present. Although I still spend time in the AOMH community and the fledgling Age of Empires III Heaven community, I have been somewhat idle designing for the past several months. The Last Stand of Atlantis will certainly be finished, as will a few other projects I've been playing with on and off. I still have a number of ideas yet for Age of Mythology, and certainly the new Age of Empires III on its way this year. The future is bright.

Well, kids, that, for all intents and purposes, has been my life according to RTS design. For more information on myself and my work, feel free to visit my webpage....

http://kj.outer-heaven.net/

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 08-03-2005 @ 04:55 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06 August 2005 02:20 AM EDT (US)     26 / 37  
Some people is not good enough.

posted 06 August 2005 05:04 AM EDT (US)     27 / 37  

Quote:

I barely posts in the general forums on AoE3H.

Me neither, but thats because I think there is little to post yet, only speculations and links to some articles which say little to me. I dont really care about such things

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
posted 06 August 2005 05:28 PM EDT (US)     28 / 37  
I liked the version on your website a little bit better...don't like the censored parts

No serious it is a nice read.

Your pic reminds me of a friend of mine ( he looks almost the same)

I am glad you posted it because I have trouble to ban that image of Burger Kings holy freakyness you used on your msn out of my head ...and furthermore now i have this image it will help me to fight the holy freakyness whenever he spreads to the Burger Kings overhere...so thanx for given me this weapon

Ok King good luck on your further conquests of the SD imperium.

seeya around

Best regards,
The Vandhaal

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]
posted 07 August 2005 07:24 PM EDT (US)     29 / 37  

Quote:

Look Im sure, Im going to get yelled for speaking out, and I dont want to offend anyone, BUT give it up! AOE3 will be out before Jared decides to finish his Last Stand of Atlantis, and all these small fish get their projects out. I mean honestly, we are all full blown Age of Empires/Mythology nerds, I know im not the only one that will be waitng for Aoe 3 to hit the shelves. And like you the minute aoe3 goes on my computer, aom goes off. You all will not want to play this soon to be out dated game, all your projects will be lost and your efforts will be in vain. So no offense to all of you, whoever is not absolutly serious about his project, will Run out of time. For instense. "King jared in the time it took you to tell your fasinating life story about the time you lost your virginity, you could have been working on Last Stand of Atlantis" so like sickmen implyed, I think your talking out your ass: "With all do Respect God Father, Motsognir the Mighty was kick ass". well I hope i didnt piss anyone off to badly, if anything I hope you all will now try to finish what you've started.

I'll finish it when I finish it, Atlantean727. If you choose to quit playing AOM when AOE3 comes out, that's your business. Doesn't bother me. The fact remains that there will be a community here to share with for some time yet, no matter how diminished from what it once was. And even if there were no community, I'm not worried about ratings or downloads or who does or does not play it; it's a personal accomplishment, not a publicity grab. The project will be finished when I choose to finish it. And I won't race against a damn clock.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 08-07-2005 @ 07:25 PM).]

posted 08 August 2005 00:10 AM EDT (US)     30 / 37  
Look, your a bigger man than me if thats what satisfys you, and im not telling you your business. but i dont think you realize how much of the comunity will be depleted. I mean dont you think that guys like Guardian of Isis, Eazy, Zues, Cheezy, Stephen Caines...ect, will move on and start seeing what wonders they can build with the new game?

It just seems to me, that the next generation of an age game always killes its prequel. and i have no doubt that it will be the same here.
All the power to you with your modding/scenario building.
But we will have to see what happens in the future. Till than, I say good day sir!

posted 08 August 2005 00:40 AM EDT (US)     31 / 37  

Quote:

Look, your a bigger man than me if thats what satisfys you, and im not telling you your business. but i dont think you realize how much of the comunity will be depleted. I mean dont you think that guys like Guardian of Isis, Eazy, Zues, Cheezy, Stephen Caines...ect, will move on and start seeing what wonders they can build with the new game?

It just seems to me, that the next generation of an age game always killes its prequel. and i have no doubt that it will be the same here.
All the power to you with your modding/scenario building.
But we will have to see what happens in the future. Till than, I say good day sir!

The bigger man in what regard, and why would that satisfy me? I don't quite follow your meaning, I'm afraid. Be that as it may, I'm well aware of how many will leave the community permanently once AOE3 is released, and, indeed, how many have left already. Most of the designers I knew in the past have already long since "retired" from AOM, so to speak. It's disappointing, certainly, but it doesn't bother me. There will remain an AOM community for quite some time yet, just as there still remains an AOK community. Furthermore, I too will be moving onto AOE3 once it's released, only not quite as quickly and finally as I've moved on in the past; it's not like I won't design any further than AOM.

Anyway, I'm still not entirely sure what you were trying to accomplish with your little diatribe. Be that as it may, to those who will continue playing AOM in the future, expect the release of The Last Stand of Atlantis at the very least, and possibly other projects to come.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 08 August 2005 05:02 PM EDT (US)     32 / 37  

But nobody knows if Age of Mythology will die...

The Halls of Vahalla will certainly die, but the introduction of myth gave people a new way to think...

Why wouldn't AOE1 die when two comes along, but Age of Mythology is in its own league...

People will see things in age of mythology that they won't in AoE3 and when people get used to the graphics and new features I wouldn't be surprised if alot of the people that left come back

But if the standard dies then there won't be much of a revivle...

Though it hinges on how well people can hold up for age of mythology on the release of Aoe3...

If people don't follow the crowd and make the projects that they want to make, age of mythology will hold up...

The time and effort will not go to waste, AoM can stay alive...

Especially if some of the great ones stick around

And why wouldn't they anyway, its only for fun at the end of the day...

And if AoM is the game people want to play then why shouldn't they

• To Do List:

- Write a to do list
    - 1, 2, 3 etc

Sig-Ne-A-Ture
  • [This message has been edited by Glitch (edited 08-08-2005 @ 05:05 PM).]

posted 08 August 2005 05:12 PM EDT (US)     33 / 37  
    All i can say jared, is I honestly would love to see you prove me wrong. but like i said, WE WILL SEE in the FutURE. TiLL THAN I SAY GOOD DAY SIR!

ps. that quoting thing gets alittle annoying. i hope you dont do that to everybody

[This message has been edited by TheAtlantean727 (edited 08-08-2005 @ 05:14 PM).]

posted 08 August 2005 08:21 PM EDT (US)     34 / 37  
    RAWR

posted 09 August 2005 04:40 AM EDT (US)     35 / 37  
    Nice autobiography! And I'm dying to play The Last Stand of Atlantis.

It's sorta sad that a lot of people are gonna quit the AoM-community when AoE III comes out, but I'm still gonna stay here until:

- The LTA project is complete and released.
    - My own campaign, the Aeneid, is complete.
    - My brother's campaign, The Marauding Expedition of Hannibal, is triggered by me.
    - I've played Last Stand of Atlantis!

• Me = Guardian of Isis/The God of Gods.
  • All my projects are Kronos' Revenge (DL), Dark City (DL), Legends of the Third Age (FotR) | (TTT: 99%) | (RotK: On hold).
  • Check my Site and Guestbook.

MEMBER OF LIQUID FIRE STUDIOS
  • posted 09 August 2005 01:18 PM EDT (US)     36 / 37  

Quote:

ps. that quoting thing gets alittle annoying. i hope you dont do that to everybody

Yes. I do.

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    big.vitt@gmail.com
    posted 09 August 2005 03:59 PM EDT (US)     37 / 37  
    I heard my name mentioned.

I think ill stay designing for AoM for a while (at least untill LTA is done :P), especially because my computer probably won't be powerful enough to run AoE3.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Your Divine Overlord, King Jared: An Autobiography
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames