You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Have a question? Post it here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
posted 29 June 2006 12:55 PM EDT (US)   
Note: This question thread has expired. It is however still very useful. But for the new thread, just go here!

So you have a question? You can post it here!
Lol, the actual asking of a question is approximately <1% of the entire question process. - oddy
Ironically, this thread has decreased the quality of posts at SD, because now only stupid people make a new thread for a question (the smart ones post it here). - Spitfire

An age has ended, the old question thread has reached the 2500th post, after the era's of King Jared and ArticWind7, we are in need of a new thread: It has many advantages:

For one, this will keep the forum cleaner and it will be easier to read the remaining topics, and it will save space instead of threads asking questions about scenario design in the Age of Mythology community. I am sure many both great and less experienced designers will take the time to answer both your simple and harder questions, they might learn something new to..

So, post any and all questions about scripts, triggers, units, mapping, modding, really anything that is about something in the Age of Mythology universe, and the skilled designers in the Age of Mythology community will do their best to answer them.

I have decided to put basic questions here, to help newbies finding their answer faster.
1. Where can I see the previous two threads?
Here. The questions from this thread have also been compiled into series of text files by Anastasoulis. They are available for download here. The second thread by ArticWind7 can be found here.
2. How do you enlarge objects in the editor?
Press K on your keyboard to make objects bigger, and shift + K to make objects smaller (TT only).
3. How do I change units stats (HP, speed, attack)?
Use the 'Modify Protounit' effect (TT only), some units have different names in the list then in the game, a list of these units can be found here. For AoM (the original), you can use the effect 'Set Tech Status', and then grant technologies for the specific things you want to boost, this has some disadvantages however. (Thanks to I Love Bananas for the reminder).
4. How do I rotate units vertically?
You need to download reyks New Editor, this one if you play AoM (the original), and this one if you play The Titans. Then go to 'position objects' and a box will appear in the lower left corner. (Installing reyks New Editor does not cause drops in online play, and your fellow players don't need to have it to enjoy the final effects).
5. How do I make cinematics?
At first you need to unlock the camera, hold Ctrl + Alt + C on your keyboard to do so, now you can press + on your keyboard to zoom in, and - to zoom out, to change the angle or pitch, you can press A to go up and Z to go down. After that I will point you to a number of guides: This is the most basic guide: after that one, I advice you read this and this one. The first two are written by CheeZy and the last one by AoMPlayer000. For even more detail visit The Vandhaal website and go to: "Theatre of the Mind: AoM cinematics Valhalla". (Think about make a donation.)
Recently, The Vandhaal has added a special FAQ.

If you still have any more questions, you can just ask them or you can check out the guides here or the Tsuniversity, here for AoM and here for TT. If you still would like to search for your question, there is the question thread compendium (currently incomplete).

Ask your questions!

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say

[This message has been edited by Archaeopterix (edited 02-12-2007 @ 08:20 AM).]

Replies:
posted 14 July 2006 01:21 PM EDT (US)     226 / 2500  
Pit_king2 Give me map, I am quite good at eliminating errors.

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 14 July 2006 04:29 PM EDT (US)     227 / 2500  
Ok guys I have searched for hours and can not find the answer to my problem. So i turn to you for help.

I'm sure this is something simple i'm over looking so take it easy on me!

OK,

What i want to do is create a trigger so when a unit touchs a statue or obelisk it will fire a vortex(or whatever)god power.

I would like this to be able to be reset to be fired every 60secs.

Thanks in advance!!

tim

[This message has been edited by Timmy2toes (edited 07-14-2006 @ 04:30 PM).]

posted 14 July 2006 04:57 PM EDT (US)     228 / 2500  
Are those units placed on the map in the Editor? If so, set up a trigger like this:

Trigger_1: Active, Loop
Condition - Timer (60 seconds)
Effect - Invoke God Power (Select the appropriate God Power and the area you want it to be fired at. Remember that the player must have the God Power granted to use it.)

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 14 July 2006 05:07 PM EDT (US)     229 / 2500  
Won't that trigger just automatically fire the god power every 60 secs?

What i want is to create a "button"(obelisk) that once pressed( unit touches obelisk) triggers a god power( invoke god power;vortex) AND it can be REused every 60 sec.

How can you set it up so the GP does not have to be in the 4 slot selection of the player? I assumed it was separate :/

posted 14 July 2006 05:12 PM EDT (US)     230 / 2500  
OK GUYS IM GONNA USE THE QUESTION THREAD!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY NEW SIG?!?!?!
posted 14 July 2006 05:23 PM EDT (US)     231 / 2500  

Quote:

Yes, yes it would. Do this:

Trigger one:
Conditon: Timer, 60sec
Effect: Fire event (trigger two)
Effect: Disable trigger (trigger three)

Trigger two:

Condition: units in area
Make the statue the scource unit, and once you do that click show to make sure that you did it right.
Player: 1, if you want 1 to be the one firing the GP
Radius: however close to the statue you want the unit to have to be- just don't make this value 1 or 2 because that is probably closer than it can get.
Unit: Just leave this field as Unit if you want it to be that any unit, type in the proto name of the unit type that you want to be the only one to fire the trigger. The proto name is the name that the game files the unit with, and in a select few units it differs from the regular name.
Operator: If you want any number of units in this area to be able to fire this, make this >=
Count: self explanitory, how many units you want to be there. The operator sets if it must be greater than, equal to, less than, or a combination of these, but this is the base number. Set this to one, and the operator to as specified above, if you want any number of units to fire this trigger.

Effect: Player invoke god power, player whichever you want to invoke it, set the god power to whatever, and use the set area things to set the area(s). Just make sure the invoker can use the GP and has LOS to ALL areas it is being invoked in.

Trigger 3:
Condition: always
Effect: Disable trigger- trigger 2

This might work, but i dunno. You might just be better off granting the power to p1.

@darkownage, this isthe wrong forum. In the halls of valhalla comunity forum, there's a signature thread stickied to the top, by Insane sheep. Glad you didnt make a new thread, though .

SAVE THE WADJETS
I was on these forums before you were BORN!!!

[This message has been edited by Ricorianguardian (edited 07-14-2006 @ 05:24 PM).]

posted 14 July 2006 05:27 PM EDT (US)     232 / 2500  

Quote:

Yes, but only if the unit is close to it.

I assumed that was what you wanted, but I must have misread you :/

jml gave you an answer in your original thread.

Quote:

How can you set it up so the GP does not have to be in the 4 slot selection of the player? I assumed it was separate

If you kill the God Power once it is used, and grant a new one before you make it fire again, everything should be fine.

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 14 July 2006 05:41 PM EDT (US)     233 / 2500  
So this is the first time the forum has failed to answer my question???? Interesting...

JerztheBearz in AIM, Shark_M0n_7 in AOMTT(internet), and more.
posted 14 July 2006 08:49 PM EDT (US)     234 / 2500  
@ Shark_M0n_9

I'm truly sorry, Shark_M0n_9 , but this as been answered 1000 times, and in the most perfect way, since I even did it myself at least 3 times! See, it was necessarily perfect!
Anyway, you didn't bother reading I suppose... You're right it's too hot out there...
Let's try again!

But before anything else, why don't you just use a distance to unit, or to point condition, since you know the 2 guys involved! It takes only 2 seconds... of our time...
____________________________________________________________­????___________

First read this, by jml...
Now:
I still don't understand who is walking towards who?
Let's say Arkantos walks to an Hoplite ( 'sounds like they gonna have a lot of fun... ): So Arkantos can't be the center unit. He is walking towards the center unit. Even if I don' think this is the reason why it doesn't work.

• Center Unit: Select the Hoplite, and click on " Center Unit ", then only double check by hitting the " Show button ", which should show you the Hoplite selected again. This is where you select the target.
  • Player: 1 if Arkantos is Player 1.
  • Unit type: Unit ( just leave it as it is, who cares, or type Arkantos if you want only him to fire the trigger. I've never wrote anything into that box... )
  • Radius: Here you can make this condition firing the trigger with a long distance between Arkantos and the Hoplite, 10 = almost equal as LOS, or 1, Arkantos almost touching the Hoplite. I wouldn't use 0, just superstition maybe but still...
  • Operator: >= 1, meaning only one unit ( or Arkantos depending on your typing ) would fire the whole process, but 2 would also, and even 35 of them... as long as they are player 1... Be ewtremely carefull with this operator. It's a trap! Could be... I almost did it the wrong way right now and right here with you!
  • Count: 1 or 35, this is actually where you put the number of units to have the condition firing the trigger. In your case it would be just 1.
    But one Arkantos is more than enough already, but this is just an opinion...
    ------------------------------------------------------------­??-----
    So now that you know how to use this, why using it here? It hasn't been made for this situation.
    Anyway, as I first said, just use " distance to unit ".

[This message has been edited by jml (edited 07-14-2006 @ 09:13 PM).]

• posted 14 July 2006 09:33 PM EDT (US)     235 / 2500  
    Is there a way to make projectiles that come from a unit move slower or faster. Any help would be appreciated.
    posted 14 July 2006 11:20 PM EDT (US)     236 / 2500  
    You'll need to increase/decrease the speed of the projectiles using Modify Protounit.

The protonames of these projectiles are:

Sling Stone (The rock slingers throw)
    Axe (What the throwing axeman throws)
    Arrow Flaming (Arrows that archers shoot)
    Javelin Flaming (Javelins that pelasts and turma throw)
    Catapult Shot (The rock that the catapult throws)
    Ballista Shot (The bolts that ballistas shoot)

Cavuy | Writer, Graphic & Web Designer
    ex-Modder and Scenario Designer | Legacy
    Member since May 5th, 2003
    posted 14 July 2006 11:25 PM EDT (US)     237 / 2500  
    i cant find it in the modified prounit trigger to modify the speed of a projectile
    posted 14 July 2006 11:40 PM EDT (US)     238 / 2500  
    I can't seem to recover my password.. No matter what I do I can't. I've tried many times. The reason I want to recover my password is so I can comment on the aomh download section again.. I can sign in anywhere else on heavengames, just not on the aomh download section.. Please help..

Former level designer at Reverie World Studios.
    I still do some levels for fun, though!
    posted 15 July 2006 00:12 AM EDT (US)     239 / 2500  
    You might have to email Zen or Jayhawk.

posted 15 July 2006 05:28 AM EDT (US)     240 / 2500  
    lol jml, i understand perfectly what u said, as in i already new that...i am guessing it wasnt working cause i put in two conditions as i said earlier...which were exactly the same except....lol lemme explain what i wanted....arkantos is walking in a camp, and u control him (p1), so when he walks up to a hoplite of player 3, the trigger fires, but i also put in another condition, where it is the same thing, except the player 3 is toxotes.....do u understand???? ill use distnce to unit that will make it easier, but ty for trying to help.....

my example: Trigger: yadiyadiyada

condition (x2): both units in area, both setup except the

Unit type: is different one is hoplite, other is toxotes...get it??? so that wasnt working, so that was my question, why isnt it working??

@nchoate902

Look again....its in there, and they are exactly what jonathan said they were....

JerztheBearz in AIM, Shark_M0n_7 in AOMTT(internet), and more.

[This message has been edited by Shark_M0n_9 (edited 07-15-2006 @ 05:30 AM).]

posted 15 July 2006 05:42 AM EDT (US)     241 / 2500  
    Eh, if you want to use "Units in Area", why not have two different ones, selecting the Hoplite and the Toxotes as center units? Set the unit as "Arkantos" or "Hero".

Sweet baby maizes!
    posted 15 July 2006 01:12 PM EDT (US)     242 / 2500  
    Ok, I have this problem where, say you have a hoplite walk into a sand area, and he would gerally lose some speed. But once he is out of that sand area he regains his normal speed, and continues on. But once he REenters the sand area, he loses speed again. How exactly does this work with triggers?

Would it be

trigger 1(loop)
    condition: unit in area (have <= (certain area))
    effect: fire event trigger 2

Trigger 2
    condition: always
    effect: modifyprounit hoplite

Trigger 3(loop)
    condtion: unit in area (have >= (certain area)
    effect: disable trigger 2
    My question is would that work, or you have to set it up in a different way?

Thanks in advance!

posted 15 July 2006 01:32 PM EDT (US)     243 / 2500  
    That wouldn't work. Trigger 2 would give the player the decreased speed, but not a boost to return it to normal:

Trigger 1, active
    Units in Area <=
    Fire Event Trigger 2
    Modify Protounit -Speed

Trigger 2.
    Units in Area =>
    Fire Event Trigger 1
    Modify Protounit +Speed

Make sure the speed substracted is the same as added, else you get not moving units or units that are like race cars.

No matter what you say
    posted 16 July 2006 01:47 AM EDT (US)     244 / 2500  
    u can also have it so either the hoptilie or the toxite can fire it by checking the "or" box on "trigger". "and" means both is u have them in seperate triggers

death is not the worst, it is the ultimate end

[This message has been edited by nuclear arbitor (edited 07-16-2006 @ 01:47 AM).]

posted 16 July 2006 05:25 PM EDT (US)     245 / 2500  
    @Jml and I Love Bananas: I've tried testing on Titan difficulty and changing the effect from Army work to Army Move to Unit (with Attack Mode on) and nothing worked. Any advice?

• Me = Guardian of Isis/The God of Gods.
  • All my projects are Kronos' Revenge (DL), Dark City (DL), Legends of the Third Age (FotR) | (TTT: 99%) | (RotK: On hold).
  • Check my Site and Guestbook.

MEMBER OF LIQUID FIRE STUDIOS
  • posted 16 July 2006 05:31 PM EDT (US)     246 / 2500  
    Maybe you could use multiple triggers with conditions to check which one of your units are closest to the spawning pit, and effects to make the enemy units move to that unit?

How can you make units move from a specific unit when that unit gets too close to them?

Sweet baby maizes!
    posted 16 July 2006 05:36 PM EDT (US)     247 / 2500  

Quote:

Question: I'm currently working on The Destruction of Isengard for Legends of the Third Age, where you have around 10 Ents and Treebeard to fight hordes of Orcs. These Orcs "spawn" from pits (with triggers) and I've used ghost armies, using "Army Work" on Treebeard, but what they do is move to the spot where Treebeard originally stood (at the border of Fangorn) and they only start attacking when they get there. How do I make it so that they attack my Ents and Treebeard head-on instead of having the Orcs run past them?

Loop the "army work" effect, that way they keep walking to the spot the Ent is, because their orders are constantly updated. (Put in a timer to reduce lag on lower level computers).

No matter what you say
    posted 16 July 2006 05:39 PM EDT (US)     248 / 2500  
    ^Good idea! Thanks loads, Paperfriend.

.... Sure you don't wanna join LTA? J/k.

• Me = Guardian of Isis/The God of Gods.
  • All my projects are Kronos' Revenge (DL), Dark City (DL), Legends of the Third Age (FotR) | (TTT: 99%) | (RotK: On hold).
  • Check my Site and Guestbook.

MEMBER OF LIQUID FIRE STUDIOS
  • posted 16 July 2006 07:09 PM EDT (US)     249 / 2500  
    Does anyone no how to make a good cine if so i'd like to no how. O yes how do i download random maps to were i can ~
    ~PLAY THEM~ i am new so is paperfriend the star here cuz tats kinda cool. ty for telling me i suposed to use for question paperfreind

[This message has been edited by Dimir_Guildmage (edited 07-16-2006 @ 07:23 PM).]

posted 16 July 2006 07:22 PM EDT (US)     250 / 2500  

Quote:

Does anyone no how to make a good cine if so i'd like to no how.

See Question 5 in the FAQ in the main post

Quote:

O yes how do i download random maps to were i can ~
    ~PLAY THEM~

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology\rm

No matter what you say
    « Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a question? Post it here!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames