You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Trigger System: Shops
posted 20 December 2006 10:35 PM EDT (US)   

--------

Title: Trigger System: Shops
Author: Cirrow
Description: Learn how to set up a shop on your map. Print this out in word and follow it while in the editor.

The traditional way of setting up a shop on a map is having a display of units or other showcased items, some sort of pad in front of them, and an Old Man or Folstag Flag Bearer. The Folstag Flag Bearer would move to the pad in front of the desired unit and the unit would be purchased. Currency could be any resource, such as gold or favor.

I am assuming you have the shop set up with a display of units, some sort of pad, and a unit chooser. (In the screenshot, the unit chooser would be the Folstag Flag Bearer.) View Image

You need 1 trigger per unit. For example, to make buying the Arcus work, it just takes one trigger. However, there are several conditions and effects. Begin by creating a new group called "Shops" and then create this trigger.

Trigger Name- Player1_Arcus
Condition-
Effect-

Lets start filling in the conditions. The first condition you'll need is some sort of "Unit in Area" condition. You can literally use the "Unit in Area" condition but there is also "Distance to Point" and "Distance to Unit." If you decide to use "Distance to Unit" you must place a cinematic block directly in the middle of the pad. This cinematic block will be the "Unit" that your Folstag Flag Bearer or Old Man has to be near to to fire.

Your next condition has to be a timer. Why a timer? If you complete this trigger and leave out a timer in the condition, then when your Old Man or Folstag Flag Bearer buys a unit, he will buy it millions of times in 1 second if he's able. By adding a timer, he can only buy the unit or upgrade once every 1, 2, or 3 seconds. (However long you decide to set it).

The last condition is to make sure the player trying to buy the unit or upgrade has enough gold. Use the trigger "Player Resource Count." An example of how this condition should be set up is displayed below. NOTE: The operator must be as it is shown below.

Condition- Distance to Point
Operator: <=
Distance: 3
Condition- Timer
Seconds: 1
Condition- Player Resource Count
Player: 1
Resource: Gold (If you want the unit to cost gold.)
Operator: >=
Number: 100 (If you want the unit to cost 100 of a resource.)
Effect-

Once your finished with setting up all the conditions, we'll move on to effects…

The first effect should be what you bought. For example, in the Screenshot the shop is set up so you can buy units. Therefore, the result would be "Army Deploy" because you’re purchasing a unit. However, if you were buying an upgrade, instead of "Army Deploy" you would use Modify Protounit to upgrade a unit. If what you’re buying is a god power, you would use the effect "Grant God Power."

The second effect takes away what the player spent. There are two triggers to do this; one is better than the other. The first is "Tribute." You would set it up so if the unit/upgrade/god power cost 100 gold, you would tribute 100 gold from that player to Gaia. However, it makes a message appear "User tributed x Amount" or something similar. If you choose this effect, the next trigger is not needed. The other way to take resources away from a player is to use "Grant Resources." Put the amount of whatever resource, 100 gold for example, but put a negative sign in front of it. So it would look like this. -100. If you use this effect, you want to let the player know he is buying something, so the next effect is needed.

The last effect, which is optional, is letting the player know they are buying something. Simply use the effect "Send Spoofed Chat to Player." You can enter the text "_____ Purchased" or "________ Purchased for ______ Gold" or anything else. If you use the "Tribute" effect with this, the screen will be spammed with too many messages.

This is the final form of the trigger. It looks complicated but its only 5 or 6 conditions and effects.

Condition- Distance to Point
Operator: <=
Distance: 3
Condition- Timer
Seconds: 1
Condition- Player Resource Count
Resource: Gold (If you want the unit to cost gold.)
Operator: >=
Number: 100 (If you want the unit to cost 100 of a resource.)
Effect- Army Deploy
Army: (If you want the unit deployed to be Player 1, select something that belongs to Player 1 and click "Make." In the future, you can select that "Army" from the drop down list.)
ProtoName: Arcus
Count: 1
Heading: 0 (The heading determines which way a unit will face when deployed based on 360 degrees. If you put in "90" the unit will face left, "180" the unit will face north, etc.)
Clear Existing Units: ON
Effect- Grant Resources
Resource: Gold
Amount: -100
Effect- Send Chat

Related Resources
Newbie Guide to Making Shops by Reinfire

--------

Brought to you by Spirit Studios
Website
Forums

This trigger system is taken from the Spirit Studios Trigger Library. To gain access to more guides Register Today. Yes, this is an advertisement.

[This message has been edited by Cirrow (edited 12-20-2006 @ 11:07 PM).]

Replies:
posted 21 December 2006 02:04 AM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
Good basic guide. It helps
posted 21 December 2006 03:58 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
Good hint for cirrow and everyone else:

If you want to have an easy time and go for reliability, use units in area.

Also, it is advisable to put your trigger priority on HIGHEST! This will prevent and trigger mishaps that often happen where you pay once and get 2 units!

If you do put the trigger priority up, you will also need to increase the timer because the trigger will active sooner.

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 21 December 2006 06:50 AM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
Actually it would be better to use Tribute so players know that theve sent the gold instead of constantly looking to see if their still getting it.

Phoenix Studios - Join Today
Click this link to see how MIGHTY paperfriend is!
Proud Owner Of 4 Paperfriend Quotes
Proud Owner Of 1 SwordStorm Quotes
posted 21 December 2006 08:37 AM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
nice guide mind if i use it for a nexus tutorial with all credit to you of course?

Yeah.... I need a better signature
  • City Under Siege
  • Help9113's Cat and mice
  • Random Myth Wars
    AomT name: Help9113 or Quicksilver
    Senario Design team: None (After about 20....)
  • [This message has been edited by Aomts_help911 (edited 12-21-2006 @ 08:37 AM).]

posted 21 December 2006 06:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15  

Quote:

nice guide mind if i use it for a nexus tutorial with all credit to you of course?

Sure

Quote:

Actually it would be better to use Tribute so players know that theve sent the gold instead of constantly looking to see if their still getting it.

Its a matter of opinion, but using the Send Chat effect with Grant Resources is better I think. "Arcus Purchased" is much more appealing than "100 Gold Tributed to Mother Nature."

posted 21 December 2006 07:44 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15  
    hi cirrow!
    posted 21 December 2006 07:56 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
    The little advantage with tributing is that you have a little noise made when you "purchase" the units =)

-[Hello..
    posted 21 December 2006 08:09 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
    You can use "play dialog" for sounds, and pick any sound you want.

(_̅_̅(̲̲̲̲̲̅̅̅̅̅̅(̅_̅_̲̅marij̲u̲̅an̲̅a̲̅̅_̅_̅_̅()
    (is not as helluva drug as pepe)
    posted 21 December 2006 08:10 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
    But you can customize that sound with an additional "Sound Filename" effect.

EDIT: Hey me and Freaky posted at the same time...Oh and btw...HAHA! My way works better!

[This message has been edited by Cirrow (edited 12-21-2006 @ 08:11 PM).]

posted 21 December 2006 08:29 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
    Sound Filename, does indeed work better.

I've been wanting to ask you this for a while. Does this look familiar to you?

[This message has been edited by Freaky2 (edited 12-21-2006 @ 08:31 PM).]

posted 21 December 2006 08:34 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
    Uh....no...

Why?

posted 21 December 2006 08:39 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15  
    The sword is named Cirruis. It's from an old game for the Sega Saturn, Albert Odyssey.

posted 21 December 2006 08:42 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
    Oh, and when I said "my" way was better, I ment using grant resources. Nottud or someone else told me Play Dailogue was better for sounds, don't remember.
    posted 22 December 2006 04:12 AM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
    Play dialog was good for music - not sounds because I blocks the previous dialog!

The boy with the mad imagination
    Prepare for the ultimate duel!
    Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
    Find out and download the transform trigger here.
    Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
    posted 22 December 2006 05:42 AM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
    Hey lol, my old guide is mentioned. Those were the days (ah, memories)

I somehow allways preferred "units in area" to "distance to unit", but thats just my syle. nice guide Cirrow

Reinfire
    --Retired Scenario Designer--
    Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Trigger System: Shops
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames