Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Showcase: Brave Sword, The lost powers
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 30 June 2009 02:44 PM EDT (US)   
Version 1.2 has been released! Click here to DOWNLOAD.

Paradox Design Studios present...

He was now awake, after three thousand years of slumber, yet he was still imprisoned in that dark and lonely place. He would not waste his time now, though, as he convinced Mondred, a mortal, communicating through his dreams, that he had to release him from his cold prison. He could just imagine the taste of the "Apeiron", that powerful but yet unknown force he chased during all his mortal lifetime.

But this events were unknown to Vale, who peacefuly lived in the tranquil village of Vault. he just reached the swordsman age, 18 years, a day he always waited for. He now must follow the warrior way, find his place in the world, and face many dangers. Still, he was ignorant of what his destiny was about to become. He appeared in an apocalyptic profecy, showing a mysterious connection to an evil nobody knew about, but that is now about to take over, and destroy, everything he knew, and anything else...

Brave Sword

The concept:

This is a big scale single player scenario, that has been on the works for quite some time now. The concept of this game, as it could be seen as a game in itself because it strays far from the concept of game that AoM is, is a game that is simple to play, yet profound, easy to understand instructions, yet extensive (becuase there is a lot of material), fast paced yet balanced fights, with a balanced leveling up system, and an interesting storyline, just too keep the hook of the adventure.

The main goal of this scenario is to have a fun and hooking gameplay, so the eyecandy will be toned down to prevent massive lags, but still giving the feeling of being into the landscape, as that's the second goal of the game, make an experience.

Features

Simple yet profound gameplay:

Moving through this scenario is not tedious, because you don't have to worry on moving the camera, as it follows you, you just have to keep clicking and you'll continue going in that directon.

All the actions will be done with hotkeys, and clicking on things. The interface will be easy to understand, with chats telling you what's going on all the time, and guides (shown as "GUIDE") inserted between the objectives (shown as "QUESTS") explaining all sorts of features and things you can do to help your quest.

Moving through the place and finding things to do is easy, because they are all clearly marked with visual effects: Chores, quest important points, business of any sorts, boss weak points, mechanisms in the dungeons, etc.

Many weapons, many ways to move around:

You can use all sorts of weapons, changing between them with the use of hotkeys. The weapons range from the normal sword (which can be upgraded), bombs, bows, magic, and more.

As for the transportation matter, you can walk from one point to another, or get into a horse, which is activated with hotkeys, and uses a system for dashing. There will also be some races in the game. Yhere will be a ship as well, and something else...

Realistic time system:

It will feature a complex day/dusk/night/dawn progression, all with sounds and effects. There's also a journal, telling you how many days have passed since you started your journey.

This system also have gameplay implications, as some places open or close at night, you can't enter some town at night, etc.

Creative battle and upgrading systems:

There will be lots of enemies in the game, each with its customized characteristics, making every type of enemy unique. As you progress in the game, monsters will become stronger, but you can upgrade to be on par with them. There's also an arena.

Click here to see balance system. Caution: -SPOILERS-

The upgrading system has many branches: By killing monsters you gain Exp points, which are represented by wood. When your wood reaches 0, you gain one level, and raise your HP. To upgrade your weaponry, you must deal with the blacksmiths, scattered in all the towns and cities, each offering a weapon for your sword mastery level.

There is also a spiritual leveling system, and what I mean by this is that you can raise your spirit by helping people, and there will be lots of people to be helped. You must trade your good will points at Temples to raise your spiritual level, and be able to deal with traders...

Business off all sorts:

There are business all over the place, merchants who offer you from food to bombs, ship passages, inn keepers that offer you a stay to rest and heal yourself, blacksmiths, races to win money and other things, etc.

There will be trade centers, where you can trade relics, which are scattered all over the land, for life extensions and foodbag expansions. What are the food, you ask? it is used when you are damaged, with the use of a hotkey, you convert food to HP, and you can carry ceratin amounts of food depending on the size of your foodbag.

Complex triggers

What I mean is that everything, from the conversations, the fights, the business making, to the cinematic and boss fights, there is a good attention to detail, which is made in the form of triggers.

For example, there is a trigger called "On cinematic" which changes the QV to stop the camera following you, fade the screen in and out and enters cinematic mode, and at the end of the cinematic "Off cinematic" fires, making the camera follow you again, makes the camera cut for gameplay, fades out the screen in and out, and fires "Music" wich starts music if day ir dawn are present, because music on night or dusk doesn't fit.

So to start and and a cinemtaic with all the effects, I just need to fire "on cinematic" and "off cinematic" at the end. The point is, the triggers are very detailed, meaning lots of triggers make up for one complex event. I just mention this feature becuase it is something that stands out in the game.

Dungeons and bosses - new -

This will make up for a big part of the game. There is three dungeons in all, each with it's unique art and puzzle style. You will be finding diferent weapons with different uses throughout your quest, and each dungeon has puzzles intended to be solved with each of the weapons, in creative and intricate ways. The trigger work here is quite interesting. I'm not giving examples now, so you figure it out yourself once you're there!

And for the bosses, the concept of each one goes with the theme and gameplay style of each dungeon. You'll need your new weapon to fight it, also in very creative ways. I'll give an example of this: To kill the first boss you'll need dungeon weapon, the bombs. Sooner or later you'll figure out that there are huge boulders around the arena, and that when the giant boss passes below one, you have to blow it and watch it crush your enemy.

That is just an example, believe me, the boss fights are intense. Here is a screenie of a little section of the second dungeon, I'm not going to reveal the bosses!

Second dungeon section Warning: SPOILERS

Version 1.2 features - new -

Version 1.2 has been released. It fixes many of the known bugs, and adds two new features to the experience:

1) Two difficulty modes: Some people said the originla version was too easy, so I decided to include a harder version of the scenario. It is a separate file that comes with the download. Here are some differences in the hard mode:

- It is more difficult to level up.
- You are less powerfull.
- You'll gain less life when leveling up.
- The fire and the bombs deal less damage to monsters.
- Food and bomb expansions are now smaller, they grant you less space.
- Bonus: Some known bugs in the normal version have been fixed in this version,
so that will be a plus when trying the hard version.

2) Version 1.2 includes a cheat feature. In fact, even the first version had these cheats, as I used them to playtest, but I've decided to include this as a feature.

You won't be able to access the cheat list until you finish the game in any difficulty. The final dialogue will reveal the password to enter the cheat list. If you like this feature you can get it by downloading the 1.2 version.

NOTE: Sorry for the inconvenince of making you download the file two times, it is just that I didn't realize I could include those features in the download when I first released it.

Many other things

There are lots of other features, which I'm not going to mention now, I think I've posted enough features... I don't want to spoil anything else.

Demo version:
You can play the demo version if you want, although it would be obviously better to download the full game. Here is the link for the demo:

Demo Version

And for the full version:

Full version

Screenshots

the screenies are some in-game, others are taken from the editor. Note that they don't reflect how the gameplay is, just eyecandy.

Etztall village - New -

Svaal village - New -

Ziam village - New -

Omega Shrine

Great Lightouse of Kram

Etztall Castle

Vault Arena

Some farms and a market

View of the fields
[JPEG, (209.51 KB)]

City of Kram west quarter

Vault view

Vault temple

Vault militar academy

More screens will continue to be posted until the game is released in 19/7/09.

-- Playtesting --

If you playtest, you will be credited.

I need lots of feedback to be able to fix bugs and improve everything that can be improved before the Release. Key: Waiting to playtest, Currently playtesting, Report finished, Report unacceptable and must be redone

Playtesters List:

1) kai Hirogashi
2) AJER
3) DragonBlood11
4) Fool Barbarian
5) Valuax
6) King Jared

Overall progress:
100%

Map design:
100%

Triggers:
100%

Size:
750 Kb

Play time:
Around 4 hours

Trigger count:

Date it was released:
20 / July / 2009

Current version:

(Check features section for version 1.2 details)

You can download it here:
Brave Sword, The lost power

I am sure you will have fun with this scenario. Hope you like the concept of it!

-Jondoom

-> Age of Monster Hunters finally released! <-
~ Best RPG of the year 2010... ~
~- Brave Sword - Improved Version -~
My first project:
Advanced Rain Guide
-Member of Paradox Desing Studios-

[This message has been edited by Jondoom (edited 07-24-2009 @ 01:24 PM).]

Replies:
posted 30 June 2009 02:55 PM EDT (US)     1 / 51  
Dude I just played this demo like 2 days ago and it sucked...

...out the boredom out of my life, I am totally looking forward to the release, ****ing chores were fun, I just loved the one with the pigs and the sword in the making message ;p.

Nice showcase.

The Gods have left us, therefore making the old world crumble and turn into ashes...

But as the gods return, from the ashes of the old world, shall rise a more beautiful and powerful new world, and life will begin once more, if they hadn't closed...dang you ES.
posted 30 June 2009 02:57 PM EDT (US)     2 / 51  
I like the concept of it. Now stop showcasing and get to work!

<O><O><O><O><O><O><O><O>All my downloads here<O><O><O><O><O><O><O><O>

http://joshonator12.deviantart.com/

Progress Bars
posted 30 June 2009 03:08 PM EDT (US)     3 / 51  
Shut up sneaky. It was great.

Jondoom, this looks absolutely beautiful. I love the eyecandy and screenshots, and I hope you release the full version soon.

posted 30 June 2009 04:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 51  
Very promising and an excellent showcase, my friend. I enjoyed the DEMO also. Great work!

|MEMORY|
posted 30 June 2009 05:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 51  
I love the feel to the screenshots I hope that you finish this.

± ±‡± ø,¸¸,ø ±‡± ±
oº°”˜`”°ºo oº°”˜`”°ºo
'-.¸(O)¸.-' '-.¸(O)¸.-'
(__)
|¯|_|¯|_|¯|
posted 30 June 2009 05:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 51  
The Demo was not very fun itself, but it left you thirsting for more & better which will hopefully be satisfied in the full version.

Progress Bars
posted 30 June 2009 07:12 PM EDT (US)     7 / 51  
And it will. The demo is boring because there is virtually no fights, but don't worry, the full game involves massive fighting... with bosses, too. Fighting is quite varied, that's all I want to tell.

My first project:
Advanced Rain Guide
posted 30 June 2009 07:31 PM EDT (US)     8 / 51  
Don't pay too much attention to Kai and Skarr, their opinions are biased

Progress Bars
posted 30 June 2009 11:31 PM EDT (US)     9 / 51  

Shut up sneaky. It was great.
...out the boredom out of my life, I am totally looking forward to the release, ****ing chores were fun, I just loved the one with the pigs and the sword in the making message ;p.

Lol, just not sure if you saw that part ;p.

The Gods have left us, therefore making the old world crumble and turn into ashes...

But as the gods return, from the ashes of the old world, shall rise a more beautiful and powerful new world, and life will begin once more, if they hadn't closed...dang you ES.
posted 01 July 2009 00:38 AM EDT (US)     10 / 51  
Don't pay too much attention to Kai and Skarr, their opinions are biased
You always have to comment on everything, don't you? I just said it was a good showcase, period. Now, go bug someone else. ;p

[This message has been edited by Skarr (edited 07-01-2009 @ 00:39 AM).]

posted 01 July 2009 03:00 AM EDT (US)     11 / 51  
Indeed.

|MEMORY|
posted 01 July 2009 01:01 PM EDT (US)     12 / 51  
How to post sceenshots and make the writing bold and italic?
Please explain simply
posted 01 July 2009 01:11 PM EDT (US)     13 / 51  
Hey that looks pretty good!

Valuax,
when you post a reply, to the left of the reply box there is a link that says BB Code, click it for detailed explanation.

posted 01 July 2009 02:12 PM EDT (US)     14 / 51  
Hey Jondoom,
I played the demo yesterday

The town was very well executed, seemed very busy and felt like I was actually moving around it.

I'm a little torn on some of the other ideas though. For example, the old man and pig missions encourage you to explore the city and become immersed in the world, however they are quite monotonous and have a lot of potential to bore players.

The camera stays centred on the unit. This helps the player feel like he's actually the protagonist - but it could annoy some players, especially as it took me a good few minutes to do the first quest - lead an old man to a temple without being given any direction at all. What I suggest is to make the camera pitch a little more horizontal and remind players that they can still zoom out (I forgot about that until like 20 mins in)

DeviantArt | Me | Liquid Fire

~ I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning its motives ~

[This message has been edited by Inazuma (edited 07-01-2009 @ 02:17 PM).]

posted 02 July 2009 12:43 PM EDT (US)     15 / 51  
Thanks for your comments. And I AM working on it, Joshonator! LOL It's just that the old thread got buried down.
The camera stays centred on the unit. This helps the player feel like he's actually the protagonist - but it could annoy some players, especially as it took me a good few minutes to do the first quest - lead an old man to a temple without being given any direction at all. What I suggest is to make the camera pitch a little more horizontal and remind players that they can still zoom out (I forgot about that until like 20 mins in)
Thanks for your observations, I'll include that Tip on the instructions . As for the Camera Pitch, I think there may be players that are unable to rotate the camera (their mouse doesn't have the wheel, who knows), so a pitch too horizontal would decrease their visibility, like there´s a tower behind you and you don't see a thing, and then your're dead! lol

My first project:
Advanced Rain Guide
posted 02 July 2009 01:05 PM EDT (US)     16 / 51  
Great showcase . I didn't really like the demo, but as you said there were no fighting and I'm looking forward to the full version.
posted 03 July 2009 09:39 AM EDT (US)     17 / 51  
I played the demo and I thought it was pretty good. except with the pig chore, you could at a time get trapped by them and all you could do is delete it. but when you delete yourself, you don't die...

I will now accept your "oh my god that was a great idea!" or "oh my god you are amazing!" comments
Click Here to visit my official website!
posted 04 July 2009 03:28 AM EDT (US)     18 / 51  
Looks very good. I still rememeber your advanced weather guide. I like everything but the hammer of thors.

ValorStudios
<==========]==0
posted 04 July 2009 04:16 PM EDT (US)     19 / 51  
I played the demo and I thought it was pretty good. except with the pig chore, you could at a time get trapped by them and all you could do is delete it. but when you delete yourself, you don't die...
Thanks for pointing that out. I think that can be fixed by converting the pigs to Player 1 so you can control them.

My first project:
Advanced Rain Guide
posted 05 July 2009 01:04 PM EDT (US)     20 / 51  
Ok, I just wanted to announce that the playtesting will start now. The game is not finished, but I'm in a little of a hurry and the playtesting is needed now. Over 80% of the game is developed, so you who playtest will have lots to play. Please look for all the bugs or mistakes you can, although I already removed quite a lot.

So who wants to playtest?

Note: I added a new feature to the showcase, If you want to check it out.

My first project:
Advanced Rain Guide
posted 05 July 2009 03:11 PM EDT (US)     21 / 51  
Jondoom I would like to playtest your project. I will also return a detailed report of any bugs and areas needed more work back to you. My email: (no capitals)

kai_is_dreaming@hotmail.com

|MEMORY|
posted 05 July 2009 03:32 PM EDT (US)     22 / 51  
Yes, stopped writing in blue.

posted 05 July 2009 04:29 PM EDT (US)     23 / 51  
You definantly got the dungeon idea from zelda.
im working on an rpg right now that will contain dungeons.
posted 06 July 2009 02:33 AM EDT (US)     24 / 51  
Great! Kai as begin playtesting. I forgot to tell you something: I sent you a version that doesn't fire the starting cinema... sorry! If you want I can send you the one with it included.

And yes, I took the dungeon idea from Zelda. But only because it works really well.

My first project:
Advanced Rain Guide
posted 06 July 2009 05:37 AM EDT (US)     25 / 51  
I will playtest if you want, I like the dungeon idea and the dungeon 2 spolier is very interesting...

my email is alexander.j@hotmail.co.uk
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Showcase: Brave Sword, The lost powers
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames