You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Have a Question? Post it here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 15 16 17 18 19 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100 ··· 101  Next Page »
posted 05 November 2009 04:24 PM EDT (US)   

Confused? Encountered a problem in the game? Ask your question here and we can help!

Please read the FAQ in this post before posting. Thank you!

Once a thread reaches its 2500'th post, it is closed. For the question thread, we always need a new one, so there are old question threads that have ended before this new one. If you want to go back to search for questions and discussions answered, then select one of the names to link to their question thread.

~King Jared~ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ~ArticWind7~ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ~Paperfriend~ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ~Yeebaagooon~

~Yeebaagooon~ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ~OmegasRage~ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ~Azur Fire~

The question threads' purpose is to keep the forum cleaner, making it easier to read the remaining topics, and it will save space instead of threads asking questions about scenario design in the Age of Mythology community. I am sure many both great and less experienced designers will take the time to answer both your simple and harder questions, they might learn something new to..

So, post any and all questions about scripts, triggers, units, mapping, modding, really anything that is about something in the Age of Mythology universe, and the skilled designers in the Age of Mythology community will do their best to answer them. There are two exceptions to the content of what you can discuss in here though. If you want to request new triggers, discuss very complicated triggers, or ask and speak about coding for new triggers, then talk over in the Trigger Request Thread. If you want to talk about modifying the games files, ask about how to modify different aspects of the game, or just chat around in that area of thought, then head over to the Question Thread in the Modding Forumn.

-Trigger Request Thread- _ _ _ _ _ _ _ -Modding Question Thread-

Before you ask your question, first see if the answer is in these frequently asked questions, FAQ.

• Please help me, I can't find where the games files on my computer are for downloading stuff to put in them, editing them, and getting my scenario and recorded game files.
    There are two paths for the Age of Mythology folders and files.
    (Documents-->My Games-->Age of Mythology) and (My Computer-->C: Drive-->Program Files-->Microsoft Games-->Age of Mythology)

• Arrg! Every time I playtest my map, it just ends after like 5 seconds and says I won or lost!
    This is an extremely common problem for newer people. Go in the editor, and go to edit, scenario data, and then click the box next to Victory Conditions to turn it off.

• I started a new map, and now there is some sort of infinite land showing at the edges of the map, and it is making it extremely laggy!
    Select this link to see how to fix the problem.

• In triggers that have the protounit lists, most of the units have different names! This is extremely confusing, and I can't find the protounit list name for a unit.
    Select the unit you want to know the protounit name of, and press ALT+A. Or go to the cinematics menu in the editor, and select animations. The protounit name of the selected unit is in the black bar at the top of the animations window.

• How do you change a units size and rotate it in the editor?
    Press K on your keyboard to make objects bigger, and shift + K to make objects smaller (TT only). To rotate a unit, press Ctrl + an arrow key to move it around in different positions.

• How do I change a units stats for a scenario?
    Use the Modify Protounit effect in a trigger (TT only). For AoM (Vanilla), you can use the effect Set Tech Status, and then grant technologies for the specific things you want to boost, and you can grant any number of a technology to keep changing stats.

• How do I change the position of the camera in the editor?
    First you need to unlock the camera, press Ctrl + Alt + C on your keyboard to do so, now you can press + on your keyboard to zoom in, and - to zoom out, to change the angle of pitch, you can press A to go up and Z to go down.

• How do I change the name of all units of a certain type ingame?
    The default game change name is only for selected units, if you want to have one to change all units names as you wish, copy and paste this effect into your trigger typetest file.

<Effect name="Change Name Units in Area">
    <Param name="DstObject" dispName="$$22300$$Center Unit" VarType="unit">default</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID" dispName="$$22444$$From Player" VarType="long">1</Param>
    <Param name="ProtoName" dispName="$$22434$$FromProtoName" varType="protounit">Villager</Param>
    <Param name="NewName" dispName="$$22449$$Name" varType="string">Bubba Joe</Param>
    <Param name="Dist" dispName="$$22303$$Radius" VarType="float">10</Param>
    <Command>for(Qid=0;>1){}</Command>
    <Command>for(oldPlayer=xsGetContextPlayer();>99){}</Command>
    <Command>xsSetContextPlayer(%PlayerID%);kbLookAtAllUnitsOnMap();</Command>
    <Command>Qid=kbUnitQueryCreate("QDUA_%PlayerID%_%ProtoName%");</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetPlayerID(Qid, %PlayerID%, true);</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetUnitType(Qid, kbGetProtoUnitID("%ProtoName%"));</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetPosition(Qid, kbGetBlockPosition("%DstObject%"));</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetMaximumDistance(Qid, %Dist%);</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetAscendingSort(Qid, false);</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetState(Qid,2);</Command>
    <Command>trUnitSelectClear();</Command>
    <Command>for(i=kbUnitQueryExecute(Qid)-1;>-1){</Command>
    <Command>trUnitSelectByID(kbUnitQueryGetResult(Qid,i));}</Command>
    <Command>trUnitChangeName("%NewName%");</Command>
    <Command>xsSetContextPlayer(oldPlayer);</Command>
    </Effect>

• I want to be able to have more units than the game allows, how can I have over 300 population?
    1. Use the Modify Protounit effect to make a protounit have a population cost of a very extremely high number, like 999999999. Make sure that it is a protounit that you cant normally get ingame by yourself. Then just place two of them somewhere on the map, and they will make the population for that player go to a negative number, and be infinite.
    2. Use the Modify Protounit effect to modify every protounit that you would be able to have ingame and use to play with. Change each of those protounits to have a population cost of zero, 0.

• I keep hearing about "quest variables, quest vars, and qv's", what are these things and how do I use them?
    They are very useful conditions and effects that are helpful for storing and using data within triggers. Click on here to understand them.

• How do I make units regenerate?
    Use the effect damage unit or damage unit percent, and put in a negative number.

• How do I let a player have certain technologies, and build/train different cultures units/buildings?
    The trigger effect Set Tech Status, Unforbid and Enable unit, and Forbid and Disable unit are for granting these abilities. If you are going to grant a unit make sure you set an age 4 technology active with Set Tech Status.

• Help! My triggers have stopped working!
    Using run immediately, quotations in chats, linking camera tracks, sound timers and decimals in conditions like timer and distance to unit effect this. If you are unsure about what is the source, outline what you did, and we can help.

• Arrgghhh! Army deploy doesn't work online but its fine when I Playtest!
    It dosnt work for computers. Deploy the army as player 1, and then use army convert to your desired player. There are many other triggers that work only for single player mode, aka not online. Ask around if you are uncertain or need help with online scenarios.

• How can I rotate buildings in-game?
    Create a notepad file, and put this text into it.
    // Press Shift and rotate the mousewheel to rotate buildings (when placing them) in Singleplayer/multiplayer games
    map ("shift-mousez", "building", "uiWheelRotatePlacedUnit")

Save the file as User.con, and put it in the startup folder of your aom directory. Use your mouse wheel with shift to rotate building placement in game.

• Why can't I modify the attack of some units?
    You can't change the attack of some units, because they use a special attack to fight with. The units are, ManoWar, Son of Osiris, Son of Oriris XP, Petsuchos, and Circe.

• Is there a way to change Mother Nature's (Player 0) color, name, and god?
    Yes there is! A utility has been created to do so, CLICK HERE to get it.

• Is it possible to be able to change players in game? As in playing as a different player halfway through the game?
    Use the games trigger effect, Player Set Active, to change which player you are playing as. That one only works for the player you are playing as in a game, if you want to be able to manipulate any player, copy and paste this effect into your trigger typetest.

<Effect name="Player Change Random">
    <Param name="PlayerID0" dispName="Original Player" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="Number" dispName="Choice Number" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID1" dispName="Player Choice" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID2" dispName="Player Choice" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID3" dispName="Player Choice" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID4" dispName="Player Choice" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID5" dispName="Player Choice" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Command>trQuestVarSetFromRand("IHFBDPCCPIGN", 1, %Number%, true);</Command>
    <Command>for(PLAY=0;>1) {}</Command>
    <Command>PLAY = trQuestVarGet("IHFBDPCCPIGN");</Command>
    <Command><![CDATA[ if(PLAY==1 && trCurrentPlayer()==%PlayerID0%) trPlayerSetActive(%PlayerID1%);]]></Command>
    <Command><![CDATA[ if(PLAY==2 && trCurrentPlayer()==%PlayerID0%) trPlayerSetActive(%PlayerID2%);]]></Command>
    <Command><![CDATA[ if(PLAY==3 && trCurrentPlayer()==%PlayerID0%) trPlayerSetActive(%PlayerID3%);]]></Command>
    <Command><![CDATA[ if(PLAY==4 && trCurrentPlayer()==%PlayerID0%) trPlayerSetActive(%PlayerID4%);]]></Command>
    <Command><![CDATA[ if(PLAY==5 && trCurrentPlayer()==%PlayerID0%) trPlayerSetActive(%PlayerID5%);]]></Command>
    <Command>else trQuestVarSet("IHFBDPCCPIGN", 0);</Command>
    </Effect>

• Now ask away!
    Here are some helpful guides for the editor! Update when needed.
    Design Library
    Showcasing
    Custom Relics
    RPG Guide
    Skippable Intro Cinematics
    Custom Main Menu
    City Street Design
    Levelling System
    Cinematics
    Units on Boats
    Town Design
    Trigger Setup Effects
    Terrain
    Triggers
    Eyecandy
    River Design
    Imagination
    Menu Background

[This message has been edited by WinstonShnozwick (edited 05-30-2010 @ 10:02 PM).]

Replies:
    posted 02 December 2009 07:11 PM EDT (US)     401 / 2521  
    posted 02 December 2009 07:46 PM EDT (US)     402 / 2521  
    I could never figure out that tower trick, hows it setup?
    posted 02 December 2009 08:05 PM EDT (US)     403 / 2521  
    I'll have to say, I've never seen that before and it is awesome!

But no, this is different. With the trick I found you only see the last unit that had a unit garissoned in it. The other ones only show up if the previous is killed.

In order to do it, you need the first unit you are going to garisson, a sky passage, and a number of different units/buildings equal to how many garissons you plan on doing (it's usually a good idea to put everything in a straight line). The first trigger garissons the unit in the sky passage and fires the second trigger. The second trigger transforms the sky passage into a unit(that can be garissoned), transforms the next unit in the line into a new sky passage, garissons the unit that was formerly a sky passage into the new sky passage, and fires the next trigger. The next trigger is a copy of the previous one except it uses the next unit in line. You can continue this for as long as you like, I think.

My Work: Zombie Goliath texture mod -- My Screenshots -- Current Projects: Lost In Darkness
    Member of: Black Ice Studios
    ____
    |0..0|
    ||||

[This message has been edited by Necr0maNceR (edited 12-02-2009 @ 08:07 PM).]

posted 02 December 2009 08:08 PM EDT (US)     404 / 2521  
    That's basically how nottud (and outreach before him) did the tower, transforming heroes into relics and garrisoning them in other heroes. I guess the Sky passage part is the difference, because you cannot see the units it holds.
    posted 02 December 2009 08:18 PM EDT (US)     405 / 2521  
    My find doesn't involve relics or relic carrying units, and you don't have to garisson the same unit over and over(you can garisson different units AND multiple units at once). This means you can garisson in such a way that when the first unit dies, two new units appear, and when each of them die two (or more) units appear(ungarisson) and so forth.

I guess it is a little similar though.

I still need to know where a guide to Nottuds Y & Z triggers can be found since I don't know how to use them.

My Work: Zombie Goliath texture mod -- My Screenshots -- Current Projects: Lost In Darkness
    ____
    |0..0|
    ||||

[This message has been edited by Necr0maNceR (edited 12-03-2009 @ 11:30 AM).]

posted 03 December 2009 05:28 AM EDT (US)     406 / 2521  
    Could anyone point me in the right direction for the lastest aom patch, when I go into updates it says "Your game is up to date" but when I go into Multiplayer it says "A later update is needed to play this game"
    posted 03 December 2009 11:10 AM EDT (US)     407 / 2521  
    Hi, it's possible to modify the number of meat of the animals? for example a boar has 300 of meat and when he's dead villagers can pick up the food from it, it's possible to increase or decrease this value?
    posted 03 December 2009 11:13 AM EDT (US)     408 / 2521  
    @Antun| Unluckly it's not possible

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
    RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
    Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
    Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
    WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
    My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
    posted 03 December 2009 11:17 AM EDT (US)     409 / 2521  
    posted 03 December 2009 11:30 AM EDT (US)     410 / 2521  
    Oh right the only way to have an animal with an amount of foos is to leave a villager gather tons of food and then transform him.

My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
    posted 03 December 2009 11:32 AM EDT (US)     411 / 2521  
    How do you use Nottud's Y & Z triggers?

____
    |0..0|
    ||||
    posted 03 December 2009 11:51 AM EDT (US)     412 / 2521  
    The ztriggers work by entering the editor mode, do what they do, and turn back to game in a fraction of second. They do some different things, I suggest you to read a nottud's guide.
    The ytriggers are really intresting to me. They can "search" everything, so even things like projectiles/effects. They are really useful for example with the "ychange" effect. You need to setup them in this way:

ystart search all units with rebooting system
    ycondition - (whetever you want, like "is protounit")
    yeffect(like ychange unit type)
    ycondition zEND (very important, if you don't add it it will cause a trigger lock)
    ysearch end with rebooting system

Hope to be enough clear!

posted 04 December 2009 12:47 PM EDT (US)     413 / 2521  
    Hopefully my sig contains a link to a guide.

To increase food on animals make nature have a uber high handicap and palce some cows and allow them and the animal you want to carry unlimtied food. After a few seconds of game starting transform the cows to the animal of your choice.

The boy with the mad imagination
    Prepare for the ultimate duel!
    Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
    Find out and download the transform trigger here.
    Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
    posted 04 December 2009 01:36 PM EDT (US)     414 / 2521  
    thank you, I'll follow your advise, I'll use the transform trigger.

An other question: how to make the day-night cycle with triggers?
    posted 04 December 2009 01:39 PM EDT (US)     415 / 2521  
    Thanks for the guides! Now I can finally use the awesome y & z triggers!

Are you working on more awesome stuff for the superpack, Nottud?

____
    |0..0|
    ||||
    posted 04 December 2009 04:11 PM EDT (US)     416 / 2521  
    Quoted from my trigger guide
    Set Lighting: In the editor, under the light bulb icon, you can change the lighting of your map. But with Set Lighting, you can cause it to change at intervals, or by unit location. Simply choose the desired lighting, and the fill in the fade in. Like the Music triggers this is how long it takes for the lighting to finish changing. Ideally, for a night day cycle, you want it so subtle as to be barely noticeable. Fifty or sixty will do nicely.
    Like this: trigger 1: Active, timer changes the light from night to dawn, and fires the second trigger. Trigger 2 has a timer, changes from dawn to default, and fires trigger three. Trigger three has a timer, changes from default to dusk, and fires trigger four. Trigger four has a timer, changes from dusk to night, and fires trigger one. Be sure to reactivate trigger one.
    Like this.
    posted 04 December 2009 04:12 PM EDT (US)     417 / 2521  
    I've noticed that my water tool doesn't actually make water if the elevation surrounding the area is wierd. However if i use it twice and then undo once the water does appear...
    NEVER UNDO EXTREME ELEVATION IN X-EDITOR. Lol.

When I was trying to get extreme elevation, I made that mistake. It crashes AOM. I am such a "ctrl+z" fan, I did it 4 times before I could train myself to not do it.

..........(@_ "Keyboard unnatached, press F10 to continue or F8 to troubleshoot."
    ._..........)..\__________________________________
    (_)@8@8{}<______________Mator______________>
    .............)_/ "You are tempting fate."
    ............(@
    (¯`._.[Creator of Miniscule!]._.´¯)
    posted 04 December 2009 09:02 PM EDT (US)     418 / 2521  
    Im not talking about extreme elevation, i'm talking about any water that is not set up on perfectly balanced land with wide borders.
    posted 04 December 2009 09:27 PM EDT (US)     419 / 2521  
    THY, I just can't take you seriously with that Avatar on!
    posted 04 December 2009 10:16 PM EDT (US)     420 / 2521  
    Its the stupid hat. Do you know how hard it is to draw a hat on a square face which takes up the whole head?

I couldn't figure out how to make it without either

A)being a big black blob

or

B) looking like it was pasted to his forehead.

Its a learning process i guess. I suppose i shouldn't make things pixel by pixel either :P

2morrow i'll bring out team minigames again from its dusty state for all of yous to see.

[This message has been edited by THYMOLE (edited 12-04-2009 @ 10:18 PM).]

posted 04 December 2009 10:55 PM EDT (US)     421 / 2521  
    It's the crossed eyes! And the bandanna on his face! I swear! It looks like he's got his nose in the crook of his arm like Darkwing Duck used to do! But you probably have no idea about whom I talk.
    posted 05 December 2009 07:37 AM EDT (US)     422 / 2521  
    You can always do the British next month like you had thought about, or you could just make a Santa Claus one for this month instead.

Other options for the future include: robot, NINJA, cop, dog, cat, PIRATE, alien, dude with a moustache and goatee, a pharaoh, a mime, a clown, a kabuki actor, a hillbilly, a video game character, a pimp, bigfoot, a sailor, a Thymole, spongebob, your worst nightmare, Abraham Lincoln, a criminal, a gangsta, the devil himself, or your original avatar.

____
    |0..0|
    ||||
    posted 05 December 2009 10:14 AM EDT (US)     423 / 2521  
    Let it be and then die in another month. Thats some good stuff though. All i know is that i want to avoid hats.

Lol, I haven't seen darkwing in years.
    posted 05 December 2009 10:21 AM EDT (US)     424 / 2521  
    Hey thymole, will you have a Santa Claus avatar this christmas? Or a reindeer? Or a gnome? Or the evil Grinch?

AoMH retired Scenario designer
    Skarr: "I wish WRP_Beater would stop abusing the poor BBCode."
    lostrozzacavalli: "Mezzo e un minuto." | "I'm joking ragazzo."
    Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."
    posted 05 December 2009 12:18 PM EDT (US)     425 / 2521  
    Uh well i do them monthly so it would seem i've missed out on a christmas avatar... I did the same for halloween, the zombie was a month late. I'll think ahead next time.

Are armies still recognized for conditions and such if they are converted to a different player? My gut feeling is no.

[This message has been edited by THYMOLE (edited 12-05-2009 @ 02:27 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 15 16 17 18 19 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100 ··· 101  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a Question? Post it here!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames