You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Have a Question? Post it Here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7 8 9 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100 ··· 105  Next Page »
posted 02 June 2010 06:32 PM EDT (US)   

Confused? Encountered a problem in the game?
Ask your question here and we can help!

This is the question thread! A testament to the continuing aspirations of scenario designers and the rest of the active community. In order to save the forum from needless clutter, please post all questions in this thread rather than making your own threads. Don't be shy!

A Brief FAQ

• Please help me, I can't find where the games files on my computer are for downloading stuff to put in them, editing them, and getting my scenario and recorded game files.
    There are two paths for the Age of Mythology folders and files.
    (Documents-->My Games-->Age of Mythology) and (My Computer-->C: Drive-->Program Files-->Microsoft Games-->Age of Mythology)

• Every time I playtest my map, it just ends after like 5 seconds and says I won or lost!
    This is an extremely common problem for newer people. Go in the editor, and go to edit, scenario data, and then click the box next to Victory Conditions to turn it off.

• I started a new map, and now there is some sort of infinite land showing at the edges of the map, and it is making it extremely laggy!
    Select this link to see how to fix the problem.

• In triggers that have the protounit lists, most of the units have different names! This is extremely confusing, and I can't find the protounit list name for a unit.
    Select the unit you want to know the protounit name of, and press ALT+A. Or go to the cinematics menu in the editor, and select animations. The protounit name of the selected unit is in the black bar at the top of the animations window.

• How do you change a units size and rotate it in the editor?
    Press K on your keyboard to make objects bigger, and shift + K to make objects smaller (TT only). To rotate a unit, press Ctrl + an arrow key to move it around in different positions.

• How do I change a units stats for a scenario?
    Use the Modify Protounit effect in a trigger (TT only). For AoM (Vanilla), you can use the effect Set Tech Status, and then grant technologies for the specific things you want to boost, and you can grant any number of a technology to keep changing stats.

• How do I change the position of the camera in the editor?
    First you need to unlock the camera, press Ctrl + Alt + C on your keyboard to do so, now you can press + on your keyboard to zoom in, and - to zoom out, to change the angle of pitch, you can press A to go up and Z to go down.

• Why doesn't the computer do anything in the map I made?
    Your computer opponent needs an AI to operate. Go to 'Players' in the editor and on the slot for your opponent, go all the way to the right and select AI, and choose aomdefaultai.xs (for AoM Vanilla), or aomxdefaultai.xs (for AoM: The Titans). You can also use triggers to make your opponent attack you. Commonly used are Army triggers to make units for the computer to use against you.

• I want to be able to have more units than the game allows, how can I have over 300 population?
    1. Use the Modify Protounit effect to make a protounit have a population cost of a very extremely high number, like 999999999. Make sure that it is a protounit that you cant normally get ingame by yourself. Then just place two of them somewhere on the map, and they will make the population for that player go to a negative number, and be infinite.
    2. Use the Modify Protounit effect to modify every protounit that you would be able to have ingame and use to play with. Change each of those protounits to have a population cost of zero, 0.

• How do I make units regenerate?
    Use the effect damage unit or damage unit percent, and put in a negative number.

• Help! My triggers have stopped working!
    Using run immediately, quotations in chats, linking camera tracks, sound timers and decimals in conditions like timer and distance to unit effect this. If you are unsure about what is the source, outline what you did, and we can help.

• Army deploy doesn't work online but its fine when I Playtest!
    It doesn't work for computers. Deploy the army as player 1, and then use army convert to your desired player. There are many other triggers that work only for single player mode, aka not online. Ask around if you are uncertain or need help with online scenarios.

• Why can't I modify the attack of some units?
    You can't change the attack of some units, because they use a special attack to fight with. The units are, ManoWar, Son of Osiris, Son of Oriris XP, Petsuchos, and Circe.

• Is there a way to change Mother Nature's (Player 0) color, name, and god?
    Yes there is! A utility has been created to do so, CLICK HERE to get it.

• Who is the best pony ever?
    Obviously it's Rainbow Dash, you foal.

• meh, you can give the thread to Lew

[This message has been edited by THYMOLE (edited 11-19-2011 @ 02:04 PM).]

Author
    Replies:
    HailToTheOboe
    Bitten by a radioactive ostrich
    posted 13 June 2010 11:33 AM EDT (US)     151 / 2621  
    Your grammar there makes it a bit hard to understand that last part. But I think you could just loop this

vstart (state=fighting)
    qv set "qv1" 1
    vend
    qvmodify "qv1" -1
    conditional qvcheck "qv1"=0
    fire event
    conditionalzend
    conditional qvcheck "qv1"<0
    disable event
    conditional zend

... And uh... That wasn't that simple...
    Specify your problem and i'll try and simplyfy things if you can't understand what I did there
    state=fighting won't work.
    Leave state as 2 (for alive), and use Action ID instead.

6 is HandAttack
    9 is Idle
    12 is RangedAttack
    18 is Attack
    So you can try any of those to see if they work for you.
    I think I included the full action list in a text file in the v trigger download.

For the AI question - when you select the AI, make sure you select the file and click OK. Double clicking won't do anything for some reason.
    The usual files to use are aomdefaultai.xs and aomxdefaultai.xs

If you load the map up on ESO and play with all computers, it forces them to have AI, so you can see how it would be behaving with a working AI.

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 06-13-2010 @ 11:38 AM).]

THYMOLE
    Mortal
    posted 13 June 2010 12:00 PM EDT (US)     152 / 2621  
    1) instead of doin this <><><><> try this
    <hr> it looks a bit neater

2) there is a condition I think in one of the TRT's links with state conditions. You can use that or just use vtriggers if you can't be bothered. But essentially do this

trigger 1
    condition: is fighting
    effect: fire event #2

Trigger 2
    Effect:
    qv randomize
    Fire event based on qv (Winston made that one check the last question thread's second to last page to find it) 3, 4, 5... With apporpriate qv values.

Triggers 3,4,5,6...
    Condition qv check
    effect: whatever you want to do with the hotkeys
    fire event trigger 1

sorry for not posting the effects you may not have but I'm a phone... These are all nonlooping but it Makes a cycle so it should work. When the unit stops fighting the cycle will stop at trigger 1. Adding the timer on trigger 2 I think would be best.

3) @anubite: I copied that from my typetest so replace Percent with the qv name

edit: ninjaed and corrected...

[This message has been edited by THYMOLE (edited 06-13-2010 @ 12:16 PM).]

pegasusx
    Mortal
    posted 13 June 2010 12:49 PM EDT (US)     153 / 2621  
    Once again, they're doing nothing.

I truly apologize for being a bothersome pest, but could anyone DIRECT me to a forum that explain, step by step, HOW to create a custom map AND play it? Nothing's going to help unless it shows how to assign the players and whatnot.

I'd really appreciate it, and once again, apologizing in conclusion, I'm sorry for stating my issue twice.
    sweetname
    Mortal
    posted 13 June 2010 04:06 PM EDT (US)     154 / 2621  
    I've been designing for years, but I need to know weird unit statistics like how fast Gaia regenerates and how frequently a given unit attacks. Where can I find this information? Is there a list or utility that would yield such values?

Design Team: CRC Design
    Completed Projects: crc~colosseum
    pegasusx
    Mortal
    posted 13 June 2010 04:14 PM EDT (US)     155 / 2621  
    SUCCESS! THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.

You'll be hearing from me soon.
    Ranfeld
    Mortal
    posted 13 June 2010 04:23 PM EDT (US)     156 / 2621  
    Thanks both of you guys

@HailToTheOboe
    I looked for a action list in the text file but I didn't see it...I probably missed it some how. Anyway could you please post a list here? It would be appreciated. Again thanks.

@THYMOLE

• First off thanks for the tip...you right it looks alot neater.
  • Second I think the trigger setup with QV randomise will work alot better then what I have right now.I already knew how to do the hotkeys and QVs...but thanks any way.
  • HailToTheOboe
    posted 13 June 2010 07:02 PM EDT (US)     157 / 2621  
    I've been designing for years, but I need to know weird unit statistics like how fast Gaia regenerates and how frequently a given unit attacks. Where can I find this information? Is there a list or utility that would yield such values?
    I think all that information is available in protox.xml
    I believe you can access that by using AoMEd to extract data2.bar and convert protox.xmb

For attack rate, the units stats show damage per second, not damage per hit (except for petsuchos, circe, SOO and probably statue of lightning because they use a different combat mechanic), and the visual attack rate is just the animation length which you can see in the animation viewer.

For Ranfeld:
    ActionBored=0;
    ActionBuild=1;
    ActionConvert=2;
    ActionDeath=3;
    ActionDecay=4;
    ActionGather=5;
    ActionHandAttack=6;
    ActionHeal=7;
    ActionHunting=8;
    ActionIdle=9;
    ActionMove=10;
    ActionMoveByGroup=11;
    ActionRangedAttack=12;
    ActionRepair=13;
    ActionResearch=14;
    ActionTrain=15;
    ActionOverrideAnimation=16;
    ActionWork=17;
    ActionAttack=18;
    ActionUnused0=19;
    ActionWander=20;
    ActionEnter=21;
    ActionAutoConvert=22;
    ActionBirth=23;
    ActionAreaAttack=24;
    ActionFreeze=25;
    ActionDormant=26;
    ActionGatherPoint=27;
    ActionMoveAttack=28;
    ActionThrown=29;
    ActionLightning=30;
    ActionLight=31;
    ActionJumpAttack=32;
    ActionUnused1=33;
    ActionMeteor=34;
    ActionAttach=35;
    ActionGuide=36;
    ActionJumpMove=37;
    ActionPickup=38;
    ActionDiveBomb=39;
    ActionUnused2=40;
    ActionRegenerate=41;
    ActionUse=42;
    ActionEmpower=43;
    ActionAutoGather=44;
    ActionThrow=45;
    ActionGore=46;
    ActionDropoff=47;
    ActionWhirlwindAttack=48;
    ActionChargedRangedAttack=49;
    ActionEject=50;
    ActionFreezeAttack=51;
    ActionConvertAttack=52;
    ActionTrade=53;
    ActionGuard=54;
    ActionAutoMover=55;
    ActionGetOnMover=56;
    ActionSwallow=57;
    ActionGate=58;
    ActionLightningAttack=59;
    ActionExplore=60;
    ActionEat=61;
    ActionBoost=62;
    ActionCorpseDecay=63;
    ActionTeleport=64;
    ActionBuckAttack=65;
    ActionTownBell=66;
    ActionHeroDeath=67;
    ActionUnbuild=68;
    ActionAutoLOS=69;
    Ranfeld
    Mortal
    posted 13 June 2010 07:08 PM EDT (US)     158 / 2621  
    Thanks Hail,
    With a few more special effects, my RPG is begining to look really cool.

[This message has been edited by Ranfeld (edited 06-13-2010 @ 07:09 PM).]

pegasusx
    Mortal
    posted 13 June 2010 11:29 PM EDT (US)     159 / 2621  
    Excuse me guys, I've another issue at hand.

I put a mod in for Zeus (God), which thank you to whomever made it, can't remember the name, but I'm trying to include Poseidon. Someone made a Poseidon one, and I'm eager to test it out as it's had fairly decent reviews I do believe.

Well, to put Zeus (God) in, I had to put the proper files where they need to be, but to deal with the protox was another story. It was pasted into the 'data' folder via its own notepad document, with its protox data and what not (ex. unit number and all that jazz).

Well, Zeus was numbered as 802, and I can't get Poseidon to be 801 or even 803, and I'm not sure why. The whole protox.xml deal is very confusing at this point in time, in my opinion, that is, and I also have another issue. xD

When I chose to open protox.xml in a wordpad/notepad document, a bunch of foreign text appeared. My computer started opening all the files like that with notepad, and I couldn't edit anything because of the foreign language. Now, when I chose to play the expansion, an error occurred. This resulted in my having to reinstall the game and then leave the files alone. Now, the game is working with the NEWLY chosen method of opening the protox.xml file, which is wordpad.

I need advice, as if I open the file I'm afraid of what will happen. I don't want the game to crash again. -_-

Advice, suggestions, help!
    CharlieDog
    Mortal
    posted 14 June 2010 02:50 AM EDT (US)     160 / 2621  
    Hey, I think Winston made a trigger called change name by protounit and I was wondering whether I could get the trigger code for that. Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by CharlieDog (edited 06-14-2010 @ 04:17 AM).]

WinstonShnozwick
    Mortal
    posted 14 June 2010 10:38 AM EDT (US)     161 / 2621  
    Ere ya go mate.
    <Effect name="PC Change Protounit Name">
    <Param name="PlayerID" dispName="Object Player" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="Object" dispName="Object Protounit" varType="protounit">Villager</Param>
    <Param name="Target" dispName="Target Name" varType="string">default</Param>
    <Command>for(Qid=1;>0) {}</Command>
    <Command>xsSetContextPlayer(%PlayerID%);</Command>
    <Command>kbLookAtAllUnitsOnMap();</Command>
    <Command>Qid=kbUnitQueryCreate("QueryProtounit");</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetPlayerID(Qid, %PlayerID%, true);</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetUnitType(Qid, kbGetProtoUnitID("%Object%"));</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetState(Qid, 2);</Command>
    <Command>for(i=kbUnitQueryExecute(Qid)-1;>-1){</Command>
    <Command>trUnitSelectClear();</Command>
    <Command>trUnitSelectByID(kbUnitQueryGetResult(Qid,i));</Command>
    <Command>trUnitChangeName("%Target%");}</Command>
    </Effect>

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
    Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
    Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
    6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
    Forbiddian
    Mortal
    posted 15 June 2010 00:24 AM EDT (US)     162 / 2621  
    Does either:

trSetPlayerDefeated(1);
    or
    if(trPlayerDefeated(1)) {

Cause sync issues?

I've been having sync issues, following a player resigning midway through the game by alt+f4ing or closing the game.

I think that this might be the cause, as it's the only thing that triggers near a resignation, though that trigger seems to work some (or most) of the time.

Are there other problems associated with players resigning?

Your advertisement here!
    nottud
    Demigod
    posted 15 June 2010 07:22 AM EDT (US)     163 / 2621  
    That is jsut a general bug in the game nothing you can do really except I suppose prevent people resigning lol.

The boy with the mad imagination
    Prepare for the ultimate duel!
    Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
    Find out and download the transform trigger here.
    Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
    Ranfeld
    Mortal
    posted 15 June 2010 12:23 PM EDT (US)     164 / 2621  
    What are QV strings? And what do AG Move Triggers do?
    THYMOLE
    Mortal
    posted 15 June 2010 12:49 PM EDT (US)     165 / 2621  
    Strings are words or phrases. Like QV1 could be "Apples"

useful if you want to change a repeating message or something

ag triggers basically move things relative to another
    Yeebaagooon
    EXCO Emeritus
    posted 15 June 2010 01:02 PM EDT (US)     166 / 2621  
    Interesting. Perhaps strings could be used to get the player to choose a name for their character?

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
    THYMOLE
    Mortal
    posted 15 June 2010 01:59 PM EDT (US)     167 / 2621  
    Yeah

I think Perp or someone made a, get qv string from chat effect recently. If that works it could be used often. If not you could make a selection area where you make the string one letter at a time.

A good example that just occured to me is the Pokemon games. In the beginning you make up a name, this name is stored as a string, so when they write the dialouge it would be like,
    "Oh, so your name is "playername""
    perpetual_n00b
    Immortal
    posted 15 June 2010 02:31 PM EDT (US)     168 / 2621  
    That effect to read names from chat and store them as QV strings came about after I posted an effect to read a number from chat, Oboe modified it to read letters but couldn't test it (it's Titans only) then lostrozzacavalli and I both fixed and refined it. So it was a team effort.

You can find it here

There are other methods of getting a player to enter a character name but they can be more cumbersome.

Here is a video from an RPG scenario I've been working on for a while that shows an early version of the hero creation process, including entering the name using one of the other methods (I think it required about 80 triggers just for the name).

WinstonShnozwick
    Mortal
    posted 15 June 2010 03:53 PM EDT (US)     169 / 2621  
    Perp, I beat you to that idea.

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=13&tn=27435&f=0,0,0,0&st=850#post1468

but damn its great someone managed to fulfill that there, can come in handy.

edit: looks like it will be a great rpg by the way though. but my problem is, how do you type stuff in when the game is in cinematic mode?

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
    Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
    Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
    6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.

[This message has been edited by WinstonShnozwick (edited 06-15-2010 @ 03:59 PM).]

Yeebaagooon
    EXCO Emeritus
    posted 15 June 2010 04:07 PM EDT (US)     170 / 2621  
    The gift of hotkeys .

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
    THYMOLE
    Mortal
    posted 15 June 2010 07:48 PM EDT (US)     171 / 2621  
    I don't have time to view it now but I'm curious as to how it requred 80 triggers. What I would have done is created a single letter string for each letter and then added them up.
    HailToTheOboe
    posted 15 June 2010 08:10 PM EDT (US)     172 / 2621  
    You can map the hotkey to add a letter to the end of a current string, so you'd just need one trigger for every letter, number, or other character you want to include. 63 for upper/lowercase, numbers, and spaces. That's getting pretty high.

But don't do it that way, do it the new chat contains way, as long as you precede the name with some kind of tag, the trigger should find it. (should also add numbers and spaces to that alphabet string).
    fight_to_plight
    Mortal
    posted 15 June 2010 08:12 PM EDT (US)     173 / 2621  
    In my program files im missing my screenshot folder. But when i go ingame to take a screenshot, it says it saves and doesnt provide me any sort of error notice. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Meh
    HailToTheOboe
    posted 15 June 2010 08:32 PM EDT (US)     174 / 2621  
    I'd guess you could make a folder and name it Screenshots.

The other option is that if you're on AOT (but I think you're a silly vanilly, like me), there are two game folders, one in program files and one in my documents, and if you can't find what you're looking for, you can always try looking in the other one.

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 06-15-2010 @ 08:33 PM).]

fight_to_plight
    Mortal
    posted 15 June 2010 08:45 PM EDT (US)     175 / 2621  
    Will it save into the folder if i make it though?

Meh
    « Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7 8 9 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100 ··· 105  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a Question? Post it Here!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames