You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Have a Question? Post it Here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 69 70 71 72 73 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
posted 25 November 2011 10:36 PM EDT (US)   

Have any questions about creating scenarios ?
Ask them here !

So what is the purpose of this thread?
› Eliminate the clutter in this forum by, instead of creating new threads, asking any questions one may have about scenario design.
› To provide quick assistance and tips from the experts who are familiar with scenario design.
› To help you! This thread has an FAQ which you can relay back and forth to for those persistent and common questions that everyone asks.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

• Where are all my files such as recorded games and scenario files located?
    You can find scenarios in the default location "My Documents\My Games\Age of Mythology\Scenario". Recorded games can be found in the "Savegame" folder. There are actually two "Age of Mythology" folders. The second one is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology". The folder in My Documents is for Titans, while the other one is for the game itself. When it comes to copying over downloaded scenarios and recorded games, use the "My Documents" one.

• Upon playtesting a scenario in the editor, I lose within the first five seconds!
    Easy to fix. You have two options. For a quick, practical fix all you have to do is place a unit of yours somewhere on the map, and place an enemy unit somewhere else on the map as well. The other method is to simply click on the "Scenario" tab in the editor, click on "Scenario Data" and uncheck the check box next to "Use victory conditions".

• Whenever I try and move my villagers in the editor, they always walk back to where they were!
    This is just a glitch. The best way to fix this is to simply select them, and right-click where you want them to go. They will walk to their destination.

• How come it seems like some units are missing in the list of protounits on a trigger?
    To find out the proto name of a unit, have it selected in the editor and click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." For a shortcut, just select the unit and press Alt+A.

• How do I make units larger or smaller?
    This is for The Titans users only. To enlarge a unit, select it and hold "K" on your keyboard. To make the unit smaller, hold "Shift + K".

• How can I change the stats for a unit?
    Easy. If you're a Titans user you can find the two triggers called "Modify Protounit" and "Set Tech Status". If you're running regular AoM, you will only have "Set Tech Status" available. You can set unit attributes with both these triggers.

• I've seen people do these crazy camera angles that I can't seem to figure out how to do! Help!
    A common question. Your camera must be unlocked and working first. It should be already by default. If it's not, press "Shift + Alt + C" to unlock it. To change the pitch of the camera, press "A" and "Z" or "Ctrl + Up Arrow" and "Ctrl + Down Arrow" on your keyboard to go up and down.

• The computer players aren't acting like computer players should!
    You need to set AI for them. In the editor, click the "Scenario" tab, then "Player Data". There will be a button all the way to the right of the player slot to set the AI. It is reccomended you choose one of the "default" ais such as aomdefaultai.xs for AoM Vanilla, or aomxdefaultai.xs for The Titans.

• How can I have over 300 population?
    Use the Modify Protounit effect to make a protounit have a population cost of a very extremely high number, like 999999999.0 . Make sure that it is a protounit that you can't normally get in-game by yourself. Then just place two of them somewhere on the map, and they will make the population for that player go to a negative number, and be infinite.

• My triggers have stopped working!
    Using Run immediately, quotations in chats, linking camera tracks, sound timers and decimals in conditions like timer and distance to unit affect this. If you are unsure about what the source is, outline what you did, and we can help.

• How do I add sound and dialogs in a scenario?
    Like the dialogs in the campaigns, you can use the trigger effect "Play Dialog" to display text while on Cinematic Mode. You can type a text, include a sound, and a small image (portrait) "Sound filename" is a similar trigger effect, but not the main one used.

• There are so many dialogs, and it's hard to find the one I'm looking for. Is there a list I can download that explains what each one says?
    Yes there is.

• How can I give units animations like they do in the campaigns?
    Select the unit in the editor, click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." In the "Type" tab, find and click "Cinematic". In the "Anim Path:" tab is a list of animations that you can view for sampling. When you find the one you want, you can use its name with the "Set animation" trigger effect and be able to use it in-game.

• I can't see certain animations listed for a unit in the editor anymore! Where have they gone?
    You need to reset the animation for the unit that you were using last. In otherwords, if you deleted a unit that was in the process of an animation, you need to place it back on the map and click on "<normal>" in its animation box.

• Practical Guides

• Scenario Design Library Articles
  • Scenario Design Dictionary
  • Shuch_ya_mouf's Ultimate Trigger Guide
  • Making Quality Scenarios: Triggers
  • Making Quality Scenarios: Eyecandy
  • Nottud's Guide to the transform trigger

• [This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 04-23-2014 @ 00:06 AM).]

Replies:
    posted 04 May 2014 03:34 AM EDT (US)     1751 / 2501  
    Nothing works as far as I know. I ended up changing my entire maps elevation to suit the deploy height of 4.0 (my map only ranges from 0.0 to 5.0 in elevation). It annoys me to no end
    Talking about twitch - I was wondering when the extended version comes out about giving it a bit of a go - if it can record while in the editor even better maybe I could do some tutorials on some of my advanced stuff. (And even if not maybe I can get the tools to screen record) One of the reasons I not done so in the past is our internet speed was awful but we just got it recently upgraded.
    I would tune in to see you program as well lol! (related to AoM of course). While I know a great deal of Java, C# seems to be the flavour of the AoM community so far. There are a lot of similarities in Java and C#, but not having an IDE for it really stunts my ability to keep up. Point is learning how the third party AoM stuff is done in C# would be really interesting as well as a great way to learn a new language.

Of course I would watch your other stuff as well ~ Milky

<||=================================||>
    Proud Member of Forgotten Empires
    96Reviews KaS Dota2 Halo 5 Reach
    { "Work until your idols become your rivals" }
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ trGetUnitScenarioName(); ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

[This message has been edited by Milkman Matty (edited 05-04-2014 @ 04:25 AM).]

posted 04 May 2014 08:16 AM EDT (US)     1752 / 2501  
    Another question for the amphibious unit, is it possible to check which direction the unit is facing and then create a unit there?

And something else that has to do with the vcs, ho can I add a small delay between this?

trTechGodPower(0,"IncaPassiveCreation",1);
    trTechInvokeGodPower(0,"IncaPassiveCreation", kbUnitGetPosition(UnitID));
    trTechGodPower(0,"IncaPassive",1);
    trTechInvokeGodPower(0,"IncaPassive", kbUnitGetPosition(UnitID));

Atm they're cast at almost the same time causing the effect of the second gp to fail.

We cannot rely on luck to be successful.
    posted 05 May 2014 12:11 PM EDT (US)     1753 / 2501  
    I'm trying to write a trigger which responds to the User's input, and on left mouse button click creates an output (be it a God Power, unit, etc.). It'd be nice to also have it cancel this action if right mouse button is clicked but that seems more complex and unnecessary for my goals.

I was redirected earlier to Zenos Third Person Shooter which seemed to be a step in the right direction but I couldn't figure out how to view the actual code/triggers he used as it involved some type of custom triggers I didn't know how to access (view the XML).

Is there a specific trigger I haven't found yet that tells the game to listen for a lmb click on location? Or do I need to go about this in a sort of roundabout way?

-Spark941
    posted 05 May 2014 01:35 PM EDT (US)     1754 / 2501  
    Milkman Matty: I use Visual Studio for C# and Eclipse for Java.

Spark941: I think he does it by pasting a unit at the current mouse location. Maybe adding a mouse hotkey which causes it to occur on a mouse click ingame is the answer needed.
    posted 07 May 2014 10:19 PM EDT (US)     1755 / 2501  
    Mad! I'll look into visual studio for my C# stuff ~ Milky

posted 08 May 2014 06:21 PM EDT (US)     1756 / 2501  
    How do you disable myth unit specials? I found how to make it so they can't recharge, but not disable altogether.
    posted 08 May 2014 08:30 PM EDT (US)     1757 / 2501  
    will these old scenarios work on AoM: Extended?
    posted 08 May 2014 11:30 PM EDT (US)     1758 / 2501  
    As a general rule I think they do, but there could be exemptions.
    posted 09 May 2014 01:11 AM EDT (US)     1759 / 2501  
    On AOM:EE, I hate that the scroll wheel zooms in and out now. Does anyone know how to change that back to rotating the screen? Or is there some different hotkey that I'm missing?

[This message has been edited by EyeCandy (edited 05-09-2014 @ 01:12 AM).]

posted 09 May 2014 01:55 AM EDT (US)     1760 / 2501  
    Ctrl + mousewheel is rotating now

We cannot rely on luck to be successful.
    posted 09 May 2014 05:11 AM EDT (US)     1761 / 2501  
    I should be able to make mouse wheel rotate again...
    posted 09 May 2014 05:47 AM EDT (US)     1762 / 2501  
    Does anyone know how to change that back to rotating the screen? Or is there some different hotkey that I'm missing?
    The hotkey functions are the exact same as the previous game, so just go to your aom\startup\gamex.con

and add these at the end (?, I think later on replaces earlier function calls)

map("mousez", "world", "uiWheelRotate")
    map("mousez", "strategicmap", "uiWheelRotate")

Be sure not to get rid of the current mouse wheel calls (just comment them out if they aren't overwritten by add // at the front of the line). I accidentally did that and now I can't bind them to a different hotkey.

Ctrl + Mousewheel doesn't let me scroll, not in the editor at least... and I have it enabled in the options before anyone asks ~ Milky

[This message has been edited by Milkman Matty (edited 05-09-2014 @ 06:45 AM).]

posted 09 May 2014 09:19 AM EDT (US)     1763 / 2501  
    That works now thank you.

Also, in the editor, do any of you have terrain grids that look like this?

posted 09 May 2014 09:38 AM EDT (US)     1764 / 2501  
    Yep - my terrain grid is broken too
    posted 09 May 2014 09:59 AM EDT (US)     1765 / 2501  
    I feel like I'm asking too many questions, if that's possible, but one last one.

Is there some other code I could add to my gamex.con file or a different way to let a and z change my pitch in the editor for making cinematics, etc? Like in (I believe) the editor superpack for AoM:TT

[This message has been edited by EyeCandy (edited 05-09-2014 @ 09:59 AM).]

posted 09 May 2014 10:25 AM EDT (US)     1766 / 2501  
    Why not just download nottud superpack? Subscribe to that badboy and enable it in the mod manager, then go to move unit in the editor and problem solved ~ Milky

posted 09 May 2014 11:30 AM EDT (US)     1767 / 2501  
    I did! For some reason a few things won't work for me
    posted 09 May 2014 12:50 PM EDT (US)     1768 / 2501  
    I am looking for a multiplayer map but I dont't remeber the name, Sherlocks
    There were four players that start with an ulfsark and would build defenses in the middle. Enemies then came down the four paths from the four corners and attack you. There were also bossfights. The map was eyecandied norse like.
    Does anyone know what im talking about?

Youtube Channel
    Skyrim... the greatest game ever... without considering Age of Mythology, of course!
    Ctrl...Alt...Q...
    and Brisingr-know these three things and your task here is accomplished...
    posted 09 May 2014 04:51 PM EDT (US)     1769 / 2501  
    Is there a way in AoMEX currently to modify protounit and use a QV as the delta? I remember it being possible in AoM but I can't find the effect in AoMEX.

Steam User Name: 1almond

Currently Working On (Planning):
    < < AoMEX > >
    posted 09 May 2014 06:31 PM EDT (US)     1770 / 2501  
    replace the delta field with trQuestVarGet("qvname").

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
    posted 10 May 2014 02:48 AM EDT (US)     1771 / 2501  
    You'll probably have to change the param type from float to string so you can enter in characters.

Also did anyone else notice that a lot of the snow objects don't have models anymore? ~ Milky

Edit: Nope actually they are just like SUPER-transparent. You can hardly even see them. I'll give a cookie to the person that mods back in the original ones.

[This message has been edited by Milkman Matty (edited 05-10-2014 @ 02:59 AM).]

posted 10 May 2014 03:49 AM EDT (US)     1772 / 2501  
    Oh, I had a whole scenario that worked around those being opaque and easy to see. At least it wasn't a very good one.
    posted 10 May 2014 09:46 AM EDT (US)     1773 / 2501  
    @Zhaka Mu: I think I know what scenario you speak of, but I can't remember its name either. It's a very small map in which you have to defend a fortress in the center of the map, right? I think it had a simple name like Fortress Defence or Castle Defence?

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
    Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
    Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]
    posted 10 May 2014 07:23 PM EDT (US)     1774 / 2501  
    Tasterix did make a 6 or 7 player map similar to that.
    posted 10 May 2014 09:35 PM EDT (US)     1775 / 2501  
    the lost village perhaps?

Edit: village of nowhere silly me.

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 05-10-2014 @ 09:47 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 69 70 71 72 73 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a Question? Post it Here!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames