You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Have a Question? Post it Here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 78 79 80 81 82 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
posted 25 November 2011 10:36 PM EDT (US)   

Have any questions about creating scenarios ?
Ask them here !

So what is the purpose of this thread?
› Eliminate the clutter in this forum by, instead of creating new threads, asking any questions one may have about scenario design.
› To provide quick assistance and tips from the experts who are familiar with scenario design.
› To help you! This thread has an FAQ which you can relay back and forth to for those persistent and common questions that everyone asks.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

• Where are all my files such as recorded games and scenario files located?
    You can find scenarios in the default location "My Documents\My Games\Age of Mythology\Scenario". Recorded games can be found in the "Savegame" folder. There are actually two "Age of Mythology" folders. The second one is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology". The folder in My Documents is for Titans, while the other one is for the game itself. When it comes to copying over downloaded scenarios and recorded games, use the "My Documents" one.

• Upon playtesting a scenario in the editor, I lose within the first five seconds!
    Easy to fix. You have two options. For a quick, practical fix all you have to do is place a unit of yours somewhere on the map, and place an enemy unit somewhere else on the map as well. The other method is to simply click on the "Scenario" tab in the editor, click on "Scenario Data" and uncheck the check box next to "Use victory conditions".

• Whenever I try and move my villagers in the editor, they always walk back to where they were!
    This is just a glitch. The best way to fix this is to simply select them, and right-click where you want them to go. They will walk to their destination.

• How come it seems like some units are missing in the list of protounits on a trigger?
    To find out the proto name of a unit, have it selected in the editor and click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." For a shortcut, just select the unit and press Alt+A.

• How do I make units larger or smaller?
    This is for The Titans users only. To enlarge a unit, select it and hold "K" on your keyboard. To make the unit smaller, hold "Shift + K".

• How can I change the stats for a unit?
    Easy. If you're a Titans user you can find the two triggers called "Modify Protounit" and "Set Tech Status". If you're running regular AoM, you will only have "Set Tech Status" available. You can set unit attributes with both these triggers.

• I've seen people do these crazy camera angles that I can't seem to figure out how to do! Help!
    A common question. Your camera must be unlocked and working first. It should be already by default. If it's not, press "Shift + Alt + C" to unlock it. To change the pitch of the camera, press "A" and "Z" or "Ctrl + Up Arrow" and "Ctrl + Down Arrow" on your keyboard to go up and down.

• The computer players aren't acting like computer players should!
    You need to set AI for them. In the editor, click the "Scenario" tab, then "Player Data". There will be a button all the way to the right of the player slot to set the AI. It is reccomended you choose one of the "default" ais such as aomdefaultai.xs for AoM Vanilla, or aomxdefaultai.xs for The Titans.

• How can I have over 300 population?
    Use the Modify Protounit effect to make a protounit have a population cost of a very extremely high number, like 999999999.0 . Make sure that it is a protounit that you can't normally get in-game by yourself. Then just place two of them somewhere on the map, and they will make the population for that player go to a negative number, and be infinite.

• My triggers have stopped working!
    Using Run immediately, quotations in chats, linking camera tracks, sound timers and decimals in conditions like timer and distance to unit affect this. If you are unsure about what the source is, outline what you did, and we can help.

• How do I add sound and dialogs in a scenario?
    Like the dialogs in the campaigns, you can use the trigger effect "Play Dialog" to display text while on Cinematic Mode. You can type a text, include a sound, and a small image (portrait) "Sound filename" is a similar trigger effect, but not the main one used.

• There are so many dialogs, and it's hard to find the one I'm looking for. Is there a list I can download that explains what each one says?
    Yes there is.

• How can I give units animations like they do in the campaigns?
    Select the unit in the editor, click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." In the "Type" tab, find and click "Cinematic". In the "Anim Path:" tab is a list of animations that you can view for sampling. When you find the one you want, you can use its name with the "Set animation" trigger effect and be able to use it in-game.

• I can't see certain animations listed for a unit in the editor anymore! Where have they gone?
    You need to reset the animation for the unit that you were using last. In otherwords, if you deleted a unit that was in the process of an animation, you need to place it back on the map and click on "<normal>" in its animation box.

• Practical Guides

• Scenario Design Library Articles
  • Scenario Design Dictionary
  • Shuch_ya_mouf's Ultimate Trigger Guide
  • Making Quality Scenarios: Triggers
  • Making Quality Scenarios: Eyecandy
  • Nottud's Guide to the transform trigger

• [This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 04-23-2014 @ 00:06 AM).]

Replies:
    posted 28 July 2014 07:20 AM EDT (US)     1976 / 2501  
    Yep, load and save them in the EE editor.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
    posted 28 July 2014 08:26 AM EDT (US)     1977 / 2501  
    Hail

Youtube Channel
    Skyrim... the greatest game ever... without considering Age of Mythology, of course!
    Ctrl...Alt...Q...
    and Brisingr-know these three things and your task here is accomplished...
    posted 28 July 2014 11:48 AM EDT (US)     1978 / 2501  
    I'm experiencing problems with lightning and the black parts of the cinematics are gone. Also how do I rotate camera ?

Youtube Channel
    Skyrim... the greatest game ever... without considering Age of Mythology, of course!
    Ctrl...Alt...Q...
    and Brisingr-know these three things and your task here is accomplished...
    posted 28 July 2014 12:55 PM EDT (US)     1979 / 2501  
    Lightning? Assuming the god power, check it is granted and the casting player has LOS.
  • Black parts of the cine bar have been fixed on steam. Unloop any trigger with 'cinematic mode on' to fix.
  • Unlock the camera with alt+shift+c if in editor mode. Then control+mousewheel to rotate.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
  • posted 28 July 2014 07:24 PM EDT (US)     1980 / 2501  
    Is there anyway to upload a cover photo onto your scenario after you've uploaded it to steam?
    Or do you have to republish it?
    posted 29 July 2014 06:35 PM EDT (US)     1981 / 2501  
    --posted question in AI, RMS forum--

[This message has been edited by ShutAJ (edited 07-29-2014 @ 06:46 PM).]

posted 30 July 2014 01:10 AM EDT (US)     1982 / 2501  
    I have troubles with a trigger . Every time i use a v or y conditional is garrisoned in in a looping trigger and trie to grab a relic (that is not targeted by my looping trigger and have absolute no link to any triggers) with a unit my game suddenly crash. Everything works perfectly until I order my unit to pick a relic.
    posted 30 July 2014 05:08 AM EDT (US)     1983 / 2501  
    You need to use y-trigger for that, v-triggers cannot detect relics.

Make sure you're updating the database accordingly.

Also, make sure you're ending your conditional effect properly.

A few screenshots of your trigger setup would help us know what the problem is. Are you getting trigger-lock or is the game freezing when your trigger is supposed to execute or are your triggers still working and this trigger in particular isn't working?
    posted 30 July 2014 11:51 AM EDT (US)     1984 / 2501  
    Nop, everything was perfectly made. It's just a unfortunate combo of triggers that don't support each others.
    Anyway i've found a trick to avoid having to deal with these doomed triggers.

[This message has been edited by oxHaNxo (edited 07-30-2014 @ 05:06 PM).]

posted 02 August 2014 12:38 PM EDT (US)     1985 / 2501  
    It's just a unfortunate combo of triggers that don't support each others.
    No, it's not. There's something wrong in the triggers making them not work. They might be holding the same qv name or something. There isn't some magical combination that will prevent triggers from working. If you'd post the triggers we can maybe look at the xs and determine whether or not that was the issue.
    posted 02 August 2014 01:32 PM EDT (US)     1986 / 2501  
    Yes there is some magical combinaison.I posted a version of the bug in the "Design Hints, Tips, and Tutorials" section.
    posted 02 August 2014 10:02 PM EDT (US)     1987 / 2501  
    It wasn't a magical combination of triggers. I see you were using my danmaku trigger setup. The v condition is garrisoned has nothing to do with the y triggers. I deleted it and the crash still occurred when the Atalanta picked up the relic. The reason for the crash is the Attach Unit trigger. The reason it needs an unused hero is because it does some wacky nottud magic concerning relics attached to heroes when picked up. The crash occurred when Atalanta picked up the relic because the attach unit trigger found another relic on another hero that wasn't supposed to be so.

However, the fix for this isn't in changing the Attach Unit trigger. It's in changing the yStart Search trigger. You left the highest unit name at 0, which meant it would search all units starting at 0, including the Atalanta and the relic placed on the map. Here, I set it to 6, which meant it would skip the first 6 units and will ignore the Atalanta and the relic already on the map.

As you can see, it is working perfectly fine without a crash.

Good luck with whatever scenario you're making! I'm sure it will be awesome. XD

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
    posted 03 August 2014 05:39 PM EDT (US)     1988 / 2501  
    Weird replacing 0 by 6 dosn't work for me. But when i replace it by 50 it's dosn't crash until i reach 14 segonds^^. Did i miss something else ?
    posted 04 August 2014 00:02 AM EDT (US)     1989 / 2501  
    It's likely your atlanta/relic combo aren't less than the id of 6. You need to check their unit ids to find out what number you need to edit the search-ignore to. Basically, it's searching through item ids until it finds a specific combination. However, it's prematurely finding the combination because it exists already in your scenario. By setting which ids to ignore, it won't search for them, and essentially you want it to ignore the pre-existing condition so that it doesn't prematurely find it and finishes its searching function like normal.
    posted 04 August 2014 11:18 AM EDT (US)     1990 / 2501  
    From what i have experienced my game crash when the cow value go higher than the highest unit name. So this is how i resolved the problem^^.

[This message has been edited by oxHaNxo (edited 08-04-2014 @ 07:34 PM).]

posted 04 August 2014 03:11 PM EDT (US)     1991 / 2501  
    Hello there,

I tried to modify the Leto-Automatons Decay timer for a scenario.
    Searching the Web I found this piece of code:
    // Automaton corpse decays
    HealableDeathRecoverTime=45
    inside the gamex.cfg inside the gamesettings2.bar inside the startup-folder. Extracting, changeing it to 45999 seconds and putting it back into the bar worked.
    I also tried to modify the HealableDeathRecoverTime in the Techtreex. That looked something like that:
    <effect amount="9999.30" relativity="BasePercent" subtype="HealableDeathRecoverTime" type="Data">
    <target type="ProtoUnit">Automaton</target>
    </effect>
    but it did not work.

Still, the idea was to make a scenario and not a game modification.

Is there any known way to change the Automaton Corpse Decay-Timer with Triggers or some Mapcode?

Greetings.
    posted 04 August 2014 07:33 PM EDT (US)     1992 / 2501  
    Lilitu: use the transform trigger when the unit die.
    condition: is Dead
    effect: Transform all units: Automaton to automaton.
    posted 04 August 2014 08:50 PM EDT (US)     1993 / 2501  
    Haven't been here for a while, about a year roughly. I'm seeing a lot of talk about AoMEE in Steam.. What's the go with this? If I make a scenario with original Titans, can people with EE still play it? Can I play scenarios made in EE?

2nd question: Is it possible to create a cinematic track that starts from the players current view?

Something like; Player gains control of unit, moves to specific point, cinematic mode engaged, cinematic track plays from current view to point A.

World of Tanks player, ASIA server: _Boris_

[This message has been edited by Sikunt (edited 08-04-2014 @ 10:56 PM).]

posted 05 August 2014 04:31 AM EDT (US)     1994 / 2501  
    Hey Sikunt, good to see you again.

You can play scenarios made in Titans in EE, but not the other way around.

Yes, it's possible to create dynamic tracks with a bit of... trigger magic.

I've uploaded an example scenario here.

What you basically have to do is create the camera track with the track editor. Make sure that your first and second track waypoint are exactly the same and that there's a long enough interval time between the two. This is necessary because the first track waypoint will be edited to the player's current camera position which can be pretty far away from the second camera track waypoint.

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
    Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
    Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]
    posted 05 August 2014 05:10 AM EDT (US)     1995 / 2501  
    That sounds like it could be problematic if they have screen rotation turned on.. unless of course it just gets the coordinate location of focus and not the actual "scene".
    posted 05 August 2014 05:26 AM EDT (US)     1996 / 2501  
    Hey Lewonas, cheers mate and you too!

May have to look into buying EE..

I'll save that user code and implement it in my project, since I am using looped camera cut object on the hero, this will come in handy! Thanks

posted 05 August 2014 08:33 AM EDT (US)     1997 / 2501  
    I just use perpetual's camera pan to unit trigger. It's buried somewhere in the trigger request thread.

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
    posted 06 August 2014 00:54 AM EDT (US)     1998 / 2501  
    Lol, i've finally found out why you can't use a attach unit effect while a hero is carrying a relic. And it's not because of y triggers trying to pick the wrong units. It's because of commands that affect every units:
    unitTransform("relic","%inv%");
    unitTransform("%inv%","relic");
    These commands are keeping the relics safe of being transformed during the attach process. But they also create a bug when they transform the relics back to normal. Because transforming any unit/object to a relic, while it's attached to a hero, will crash the game.
    posted 06 August 2014 04:35 AM EDT (US)     1999 / 2501  
    Oh, you're using the transform trigger. That one is a little sketchy then, yes
    posted 06 August 2014 01:32 PM EDT (US)     2000 / 2501  
    I've ran into a couple problems with my current scenario..

It would be easiest to share it and let people look for themselves..

Link.

Problems..

1. Trigger_281, under group "Intro 2". This one stops all other triggers, the same as using "" in a dialog. I have no idea why it does this.. I have a couple fire events, a disable trigger, army convert and army change type.

2. Delete Trigger_281 so the 1st intro plays. The music starts playing as the fade to color kicks in, but for no apparent reason the music stops playing when the fade to color fades out. I can't find anything that would cause this to happen, at this point it seems like my scenario will be a silent one..

Thank you to anyone that tries to help!

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 78 79 80 81 82 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a Question? Post it Here!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames