Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Making Bridges
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 08 December 2004 07:38 AM EDT (US)   
Has anyone ever tried (succeeded) in making a bridge? - i.e. making a model that allows units to walk above ground level.
Replies:
posted 07 February 2005 10:59 PM EDT (US)     51 / 55  

Quote:

But what - for example is the difference between a . brg file and a .bti file. Could you just use a terrain texture (with its underlying .bti model)? How does cliff logic allow you walk on top but not over the sides?

In the .xml file, you specify wether that certain terrian is passable or not.

--I am pointless--
posted 08 February 2005 05:05 PM EDT (US)     52 / 55  
AoM0: No post 39 was based on Flip and LZ's suggestions on the AoK approach. it just a cube with the pivot point set just under the walking surface and uses a flatten map to raise the ground level under the bridge. The sides indlude painted water to hide this. I then just used a narrow obstruction width to hide the banking on either side.

The teleport version (haven't posted a picture of this) uses half spans (half of the model used in the earlier buildable version), you can't actual stand on the bridge but it would work better that the garrison, ungarrison approach - single click crossing.

The code above is for this approach which isn't working because the models don't rotate when they are placed.

I just need to figure out if there is a parameter on one of the placement related commands that allows me snap placement.

Pointless: Thanks, I have figured out the passable impassable terrain, I was just wondering whether it was something in the .bti format that could be used to make surfaces of models solid - it doesn't appear so.

posted 10 February 2005 05:21 AM EDT (US)     53 / 55  
hey Stephen, don't give up a good fight, not now that you've got so much interest and support from people.
OK, the underworld passage needs some problem solved that's beyond my knowledge and comprehension, but how about Ouranos' sky passages friendly to all?
Units go in preplaced sky passages at both sides of the bridge, and via triggers are ejected after a couple of seconds through the other side's sky passage.

In any case, the solution to the bridge making problem -I believe- lies with solving the naval movement.
Pls, carry on the effort, you've captured the interest of all by inflaming our brains with ideas. The brain storming session mustn't stop !!!

posted 10 February 2005 05:47 PM EDT (US)     54 / 55  
Anastasoulis: Thank's for the encouragement - I will persist.

The sky passage approach works, with one problem - as it uses shared garrison; once garrisoned in one side of a bridge you could exit from any other bridge segment on the map. This might be cool under some circumstances, but I want to try and keep the process as bridge-like as possible.

Allowing all players to use the bridge won't be a problem from the protounit perspective, but I haven't even started to think about the AI involved in getting computer players to use the (non-pontoon) bridges on an ad hoc basis.

There are still a lot of flags and things I don't fully understand, but hopefully one of these will sort out the placement issue.

In terms of my earlier comment on posting what I have, this wouldn't stop me working on it, but it might help others contributing to this quest to find the problem if they could see them in action. So, if I get some time this weekend I will package up the 3 variations and some notes and hopefully someone will see them and say, that's easy all you have to do is .....

PS. To all who have contributed thanks for the help so far.

posted 09 November 2015 10:23 PM EDT (US)     55 / 55  
Interesting things here

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Making Bridges
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames