Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Utility Programs » AoM:EE Texture Conversion Tool

Download File Post Review Post Comment

AoM:EE Texture Conversion Tool

Author File Description
Arctic0ne AoM:EE Texture Converter Tool

I wrote a quick little program to circumvent using command line to extract and convert textures with the tools that have been released thus far. It's very simple, it just passes commands on to the TextureCompiler and TextureConverter tools that SkyBox has released, but in a nice, easy to use format.

This tool fixes a few issues with the provided tools:

• Trying to convert an entire directory results in getting a ".tga" & ".bti" file with no name whatsoever. It also converts all your textures, but since they are all named (Well, not named in this case) the same you will only get the last texture it extracts. I have fixed this by simply running the tool on each file individually during a batch conversion.
  • The provided instructions are a bit unclear in regards to the type of maps the TextureExtractor will generate for you. With no flags you will get a .bti and .tga file of your texture, great. A -nm flag gets you a normal map with no .bti file, same with -spec and -gloss. Nowhere in the instructions does it mention that you cannot combine flags to get, say, a texture, a normal map and a gloss map. Instead it will give you only the map of the first flag that you used. To clear this up, I have made it so that you can only select which of these flags are included during extraction.

Installation
    Place the file in your "...\Age of Mythology\tools" folder along with the TextureCompiler and TextureConverter tools that Steam will download automatically for you

Changelog

Added the ability to select multiple flags when extracting. It will ALWAYS extract the regular texture, but you can check off the normal, specular and gloss boxes to extract those as well. This should help improve workflow.
    The last directory that you were browsing is now saved in a global setting, so you don't have to always browse all the way back to the folder you were working in. The compiler and extractor menus have their own settings in case you are using two different folders.
    Added map tags to extracted textures, e.g. texture_nm.tga, texture_spec.tga, texture_gloss.tga
    Initial release

Known Issues

The released tools are a bit finicky, but Skybox has promised that they will be releasing some better tools in the near future.

Quoted from gijs.kaerts:

The texture tools we provided are a temporary solution so you guys could have something to work with; these were actually never intended to be released in the first place and therefore were not polished to the point where they were fit for release. We plan on integrating these tools into an automated process within the game eventually, we will address the issues you are seeing in this automated toolset.

If you find any issues please leave a comment below and I will fix it!

• As far as I can tell you cannot compile multiple .tga's into a .ddt, or at the very least it has not been explained how to accomplish this. So for now you cannot create a .ddt with your texture, a normal map, gloss map, etc. If anyone knows how to accomplish this, please let me know and I will update my tool.
  • Occasionally the tool will return with "COULD NOT WRITE" yet still successfully extracts the texture, I am not sure what causes this to happen.
  • Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
    AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
    KaTorrenter
    (id: DanyUnknown)
    Please review your html code
    Zenophobia Thank you very much for this. :)
    Isten Keze Can you add bmp file conversion? bmp->ddt
    HundenOdin I am getting this
    "You don't have permission to access /aom/downloads/files/utilities/AoM Texture Converter.zip on this server."
    HundenOdin Awesome tool.

[Edited on 03/04/15 @ 12:24 PM]

Android 000
    (id: Android GRRR)
    Rating
    A great tool that makes Skybox's texture converters so much easier to use. Thank you very much for this. Anyone looking for more information on the Enhanced Edition's texture format, see this post by morness: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/558755529558828765/?appid=266840

Your tool would be even better if you could set default load/save paths to speed up the process. You could read in the four possible paths (extractor-input, extractor-output, compiler-input, compiler-output) from a separate text file, for example. Remembering the last directory alone is not sufficient for a speedy workflow.

For some icing on the cake you could add a "(Batch) Convert old DDT to new DDT" option, running the extractor and compiler in one go (on default options). That would help a lot for porting old modpacks to Steam! :-)

[Edited on 07/23/15 @ 02:14 PM]

billy X Rating: 1
    Would like to give this 5 stars if it can be fixed.

Additional Comments:
    Does not work for extracting the Texture folder in batch mode.

Error given...

Length cannot be less than zero.
    Parameter name: length.

Some ideas: I think the issue may be some of the DDT files with capital DDT instead of lowercase DDT. I have managed to remove some DDT files and do this folder by folder and it works. The problem is right out of the box I don't see why these errors can't be fixed. You will quickly see what the problem is if you just try running batch extraction on your entire Textures folder.

[Edited on 01/25/17 @ 08:59 PM]

That AoM Guy
    (id: aom expert)
    You can't just rate it a 1 because of these kinds of issues.
    Kevin_XYZ Thanks you very much, this tool is very usefull. :)
    Nick3069
    Rating
    Rating: 5
    This tool really is a must have to make mods for EE. The very simple interface makes converting textures fast and easy.
    Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
    Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
    Forgot password?
    Rating
    Statistics
    Downloads:2,649
    Favorites: [Who?]7