Single Player Scenarios » Lament for the Jotnar

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Lament for the Jotnar

Author File Description
Shrink
File Details
Screenshot:
Version: AoM:EE
Jotunheim has unleashed jotnar across the world where they terrorise the humans and dwarves, destroying cities and killing thousands. On a cold and wintry archipelago five once-warlike nations now cower behind city walls. Those who brave the wilderness to tend to farms or mines don't return to their homes - they are taken, eaten, killed.

The people pray to their gods. Sprigs of Yggdrasil are found on the archipelago and human sacrifices hang from every bough, but until now no one answered.

Odin, the All-Father, the Hanged-One, finally listens. He sends one of his valkyries, Reginleif, down to the islands to challenge and defeat the jotnar, so the surviving peoples may return to normal life: mining, building, growing and living - and most importantly of all, warring: all nations in perpetual conflict. For Odin favours none so strongly as the warriors who do battle.

This is a single player scenario which should take over 2 hours to play through.
This includes a number of small mods to the game which are necessary to play but which make playing other scenarios or online impossible - remember to uninstall them before doing so.
This has been optimized for Age of Mythology: The Titans: Extended Edition available through Steam. Though everything should work fine in ordinary AOM:TT, I know some units display differently. For example, snow drifts are invisible in the extended edition, and I know there are a number placed around the map which now can't be found so they might be incongruously placed.

For the full showcase, screenshots, and details of what exactly the mods do, visit www.shrinkone.com
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Android 000
(id: Android GRRR)
Great scenario with a stunningly beautiful map.

I think you can improve a bit on gameplay though - less walking (especially towards the end) and more diverse combat. You can win most battles by right-clicking the enemy once, then sitting back. Changing between Reginleif's various forms is cool but usually it's not enough to keep me engaged throughout the fights. Maybe it would have helped to add more units to the player's control (requiring more micromanagement), or to require specific movement/timing sequences to defeat a boss. Also, pathing can be a bit messy, especially in AoM:EE.

Overall, great job though!!

[Edited on 02/05/15 @ 04:41 PM]

Shrink
File Author
Thanks for your comment. The critique is fair, particularly concerning the walking towards the end. It's one of the reasons you have a horse (with extra speed), but indeed at one point you go backwards and forwards a more than is probably fun for most people.

For the battles, I was hoping you wouldn't be able to just right click and chill out against the bosses themselves, but the balance might be a bit off. For the smaller minions which some of the bosses have I'm fine with it.

Unless you withdraw Reginleif at the right moments or use the right form at the right time then the bosses should beat you pretty easily. For example the frost giants can easily freeze then kill you if you let them get close enough, so positioning Reginleif beyond cliffs (etc) and using the javelins is what players have to think about.
However more could definitely be done to have specific movements or timings so it's a fair point.
The emphasis is on the environment and atmosphere, and though some of the bosses have different phases requiring different tactics, most don't as I wanted most of it to feel natural (the frost giant example again; using positioning around the environment) rather than video gamey (of which the mirror-guardians is probably the best example).

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:600
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:2.10 MB
Added:07/27/14