Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Multiplayer Scenarios » Myths of Abundance RPG (Demo)

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Myths of Abundance RPG (Demo)

Author File Description
Zorrinth
File Details
# of Players: 4
Version: AoM: The Titans
**The Following Specs related to the map are subject to change**

Myths of Abundance is a big open world RPG I've been developing since April. Some of the initial goals I had were:

-Most likely biggest map size for an open world RPG (1000x1000)

-The most quests ever in an open world RPG, with a minimum of 100

-A player investment system that lasted hours

-The player chooses their Myth Unit, from a selection of all the land based myth units

Please keep in mind that this is a demo of the final game, set for release on December 2nd. Despite being a demo, there's still a TON of content, estimating 2 and a half hours of playtime. The overall goal with this project was to create a scenario that you and a few friends would come back to and complete through multiple sessions, via the save game feature.

This decision in design was made by the fact that I'm developing so much content, that in the final game, completing everything will take at least 8-10 hours. I also wanted a scenario with longevity, and one that always had something new to be discovered on your 5th, 10th, and pretty much every successive play through. So how about the story?

STORY:

In Myths of Abundance, your chosen by the gods to protect the city of Avilas, and reclaim your lost abundance. The demo does not touch upon the main story too much.

PROGRESSION:

The city is big, and is divided into 3 sectors, each with a leader; The King, The Sorcerer, and The Architect. The main story is pretty generic, but when you complete enough quests in a particular district, that districts leader will allow you to align yourself with them. In the game your only allowed to align yourself with one leader. After this decision, you follow the rest of the story through that leaders quest line.

What this means is that in order to see the three stories, you have to play the scenario 3 times.

AUDIO:

Very early in the project I decided not to have music in the scenario, other than subtle audio cue's for leveling and new quests. Here's why:

- I'm majoring in Media Arts and Animation at the Cincinnati Art Institute, and this project is pretty much a part time job. I have to be considerate of my time, and given the amount of content there is, it would be unrealistic to go through all the music files. I'd rather focus more of my efforts on the content.

- Hardly anyone plays the game with their music turned on.

- Given that this game is 12 years old, the games music is pretty stale at this point.

- What I hope is that the player plays their own music to help shape the experience.

SETUP:

Players 1-4: Human, Team 1, any god
Player 5: CPU, Team 1, preferably Greek
Player 6: CPU, Team 6, God doesn't matter

Feedback is very welcome, I've spent around 120 hours so far on this project and I ask that you be respectful with your opinions. Most of the quests are written already, but who knows, through feedback your idea may make it into the final game. I primarily play on Voobly, and I'd love to play with some people and hear your guys thoughts!

AOM:EE ? ?

I have AOM EE, but I have not yet ported the demo, and I'm unsure if I will do so. The final version of the map will be ported, however.

>>UPDATE: August 3rd

Please re download if you have already downloaded the map before August 3rd. Some extra quests have been added, and roughly 20-30 bugs fixed :)

>>UPDATE: November 1st

So its been a few months, and with going back to school my time on this project dwindled greatly near the end of august. In late August I hit a road block with the map development. Every time i would produce more content and go in for a test with a friend or just myself the game would crash and I would be returned to windows with the 'Age of Mythology has unexpectedly shut down' message. This has been met with frustration, to say the least. I attempted to figure out if it was a trigger or something that caused the problem, and for about a week I probably saw that game crashed message 40-60 times. Eventually I went into the map file properties and noticed that its file size was 1.65 mb and that every other normal map file was somewhere around 500 kb. I came to the conclusion that the map file was simply too big for the game engine to launch.

For most of september and all of october i walked away from the project, haven't opened AOM or played the game on Voobly since. That's not to say that I hadn't been thinking about it. I love designing game experiences, and its unfortunate that my idea for this RPG was simply to grand in scale. Just the demo itself offers 2-4 hours of gameplay. Just that in itself is a bigger experience than most AOM scenarios.

In the last few weeks I've been thinking about how to condense the scenario into something smaller, but I simply don't want that. I wanted an experience where you'd discover something new on the 10th, 20th, and every play session onward for a great amount of time. I've also thought of other smaller, different scenarios.

Having just now turned 22 and in the second half of my major in college, I've come to the realization that map making and AOM is just something I have to let go. The game was my childhood and I miss it greatly, but I have to move on. I hope that you guys had a good time with the scenario, and Ill check back on here every now and then.

If I do find time to come back Ill be sure to post on this thread.

AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Yeebaagooon
Staff
This sounds incredible!
Any screenshots?
Lewonas This sounds absolutely awesome. I will definitely try out your demo.
Zorrinth
File Author
Thanks guys! Unfortunately no screenshots yet. I just joined before making that post-Although I've been around the site for years. I just haven't had a real reason to make an account.

Also, I've done several tests in the last week and have discovered about 20 bugs/fixes. I'll be uploading the updated version of the demo later today hopefully!

Edit: I forgot to address a part of the reason why I don't have screenshots. My setup has 2 TV's for computer monitors, and using the print screen function is tough because the image captured is both screens. Sometime down the road when the maps eyecandy is close to the final product, I'll disable a screen and spend a good amount of time taking pictures.

[Edited on 08/03/14 @ 02:32 PM]

Zenophobia Had quite some fun playing this. Objectives were a bit obscure at times and eyecandy could use some improvement, but other than that this looks like it'll turn out to be awesome. :) Oh, and it was kind of hard to figure out exactly where in the city I was and where I had to go. Maybe setting the entire map to blackmap and letting the players explore the city slowly would be better than overwhelming them with the information all at once.

Oh, and Yeeb demands that you rename the son of osiris. :P
Zorrinth
File Author
Thanks for the feedback Zeno! I know the eye candy is lacking. I was more focused on getting the map up and running as soon as possible. As for the objectives, yes, some of them are meant to be a bit silly... The main story will have a more serious tone, however. I also intentionally want some of the quests to be tough. I hate the typical quests that just have you walking back and forth without having to actually think about where you have to go.

I did think about having the city blackmapped at first. That idea was scrapped when I thought about when they would get objectives that take place within the city, and that it would still be covered in black area. I also wanted to make sure they knew how to get out of the city too.

As for your comment about getting lost in the city, the tutorial states there are 3 districts with a big obelisk that marks which one you are in. I understand that's tough to understand at first. I'll be adding some special effects that make the obelisks a bit more noticeable.
MrBeefy Zorrinth I am not sure if you remember me but I was Toasty player or Mrbeefy, I am not sure and we used to play a lot of scenarios together with a few other friends.I recently rejoined the community but I have seen your post since a year or 2 ago and ive finally been able to respond.Good luck on what you do in life and it has been a fun ride and thanks for all you have done for the community.I wish you a farewell.If you see this and want to contact me my steam is mrbeefy193(what I am usually on) and my voobly is MrBeefy(which I am trying to get on more) and gameranger(which i dont check that often) is Mrbeefy

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:444
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:1.36 MB
Added:07/30/14