Multiplayer Scenarios » World Map VX

Download File Post Review Post Comment

World Map VX

Author File Description
CheeZy
(id: CheeZy monkey)
File Details
# of Players: 8
World Map VX is a 1300x1300 tile scenario map of the world. It is very very big, for example North America would be the size of a normal 1v1 map.
Ofcourse one of the most amazing things about this map is it's geographical acuracy. Just looking at the minimap alone is enough to make you drool

Features:
-a Geographicly acurate portrait of the world

-a 50 minute spanning day-to-night cycle using the VX lighting pack. (So yes, you can play at night, which alot of people I'm sure would want to do)

-Eye candy tid-bits worked in to the map, such as tents, abandoned settlements, waterfalls, and even a quary

-Hidden surprises - look under a tent to see whats inside, loot relics from pyramids, and an apearance by the killer giant duck billed platypus, a near extinct animal. Infact theres only 3 of them in the world.

-Audio atmosphere - theres about 20 triggers in the World Map that control the sound in the game.

-Balanced start out - Everyone starts on a small island with a Roc Transport. Everyone also gets 2 sets of the Vision godpower to help them choose a location inwhich to settle in.

-Smooth Map Layout - the map is designed to be played like a Random Map, meaning that there are fair settlement areas throughout the map, along with rescorces and terrain elements to take advantage of in the surroundings. The map is tweaked to be fair from almost every place.

-Terrain Elements - theres cliffs, hills, ditches, rivers, lakes, more cliffs, mountains, valleys, and tundras, all transitioning smoothly throughout the map. Terrains blend, shorelines blend, hills transition, everything looks good more or less.

-Overall theres been more than 60 hours of work on my acount spread out over 6 months to finish this world map. Was it a waste of time? Not really, and it didn't take that much time, just maybe 3 hours work a week.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Guerrand_ac
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 5
Very fun to play on any world map, This one tops them all though, mainly because we finailly have a decent ammount of space. Before, we would fight battled for all of europe, or all of the Americas at one go. Now we get to fight for Spain, or France, or The eastern US... Much much better than any other world map!

Balance: 5
Effectively balanced so any spot you may decide to land your boat offers an equal opportunity for success.

Creativity: 4
What can I say... I't a map of the world, very well done, but its not his world... its THE world, so he didn't need to be creative, just accurate and intellegent.

Map Design: 5
Great design for a multiplayer map, mainly for the Balance reasons, but also because this map gives us enough space, and its Very fun to fight for places that actuailly have names.
Story/Instructions: 3
Could have done a bit better here, instructionswise. It should also state as soon as the game starts that if you go OOS its because you have the map editor patch... That way people would know the problem.

Additional Comments:
I love this map, and its near perfect, except for the fact that 80% of the time I play it on ESO it goes Out of Sync because some random guy had the patch...

Please make an uninstall program available to remove the map editor patch easily, so people don't need to uninstall and then reinstall, and then reinstall all their maps and utilities.
SOyuncastor the map is pretty cool but for some reason the computer is resigning pretty soon (10 mins in the game)

something like "this is going to over due to balance problems..."

it seems the computer cant go to the world to expand itself.

keep on the good work! :)
arnitald To the creator:

I have some suggestions to make this great map better :)
I played this map about 1 hour but i found some things which should be IMO changed.

1. The light effect after the first one at the morning, the yellow light should be changed to more "blue light" because units and buildings look pretty weird in the yellow light. It does take much from the realism.

2. Night too dark
The night is very dark, I almost couldn't see anything. When applying Eclipse it was ok, I saw everything and there was the "night effect".
Therefore I recommend to make night as dark as Eclipse OR lighter. Then it doesn't disturb by playing.

3. Pop limit blocked?

Even by having more TCs I couldn't have bigger pop limit than 225. (???) Dunno why.

That were the main things I think require changes. Anyway it's a great map.

To the users:

Good computer recommended/required! IT'S a gigantic map.

IF you like Nomad + Conquest gametypes you will love this map.

Other comments

+ Great conquer feeling.
+ Longer games
+ Land and Water Fighting
+ Nice design
+ Day to Night cycle

Online lag :(
Good computer required
Night is too dark and some light effect are unrealistic.
Unplayable with computers without changing the map´
+ Very large map laggy + WOW HUGE

I DO RECOMMEND TO DL THIS MAP IT'S GREAT
it's the best World Map till now
thx arnitald

[Edited on 05/29/03 @ 06:49 AM]

CheeZy
File Author
Well, I made the VX lighting pack quite a few months ago, so I guess theres some room for tweaking. To me things look fine, but then again things'll look darker on the poorer contrast on LCD or normal monitors (I have a flatscreen antiglare monitor, maybe thats why things looks ok)

However I've tweaked the lighting files for your sake :) I'll post a link to it soon, just move all the files to the data folder of AOM and they'll replace the existing lighting files.

225 pop limit? That seems fair enough to me. You wouldn't want someone to go hide in Asia and mass/unleash 50 elephaunts on you would you.

@SOyuncastor

This is a multiplayer scenario, It's not supposed to be played singleplayer which is why the computers don't do anything. If you want to play a 2v2 or 3v3 game online for example, then make the extra open slots be computers, they'll be removed 10 minutes into the game so that the game turns into a 2v2 or 3v3 or whatever the amount of human players was. Otherwise theres no AI asigned to the computers so they won't do anything. Sometimes they'll send some chats at you but thats about it.
arnitald I forgot to rate this map sp I do it now.

To the creator:
Ok I just didn't know if it is wanted to limit it on 225. It is better because if you imagine to have all of the Asia settlements you will see that this limit limits the lag much.

[Edited on 01/17/04 @ 05:32 PM]

Lokispy Oh yeah !!!!!

I like that map and so huge.
This is the best world map ever seen.

I hope that lot of people have this map for playing it in multiplayer. I hope there gonna be lot of those great maps. Keep going !!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 08/21/03 @ 12:33 PM]

CheeZy
File Author
Hey guys, could you elaborate a little more on the 3 or 4 points rating for Creativity?

I thought the volcanos, mountains, hidden surprises, lighting, and all those others would be a plus for it.

by the way, Heres the tweaked VX lighting pack put this in the data folder of AOM, it'll make the lighting a tad better and not so dark at night.

Copy and paste this into your address bar
http://dgdn.net/CheeZy/VXlighting.zip

[Edited on 05/30/03 @ 07:45 PM]

carnkhan4 map was great! i loved the hidden relic thing, but about 20 mins into the game it says all enemy players will die in twenty seconds. i got around this by giving the enemy town centers in the editer. But was there an easier way?
Gerry FANTASTIC !

[Edited on 08/21/03 @ 12:34 PM]

CheeZy
File Author
World Map VX has now become the #1 most downloaded multiplayer map at the Age of Mythology Heaven Download section.

Thank you AOMH!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0