Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Reluctant Heroine

Author File Description
Felix Hermansson
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
The Reluctant Heroine
(AoM:TT Version, April/May 2004)

This is the first scenario of my Circe saga. After being driven from Aeaea by Arkantos and his companions, Circe is shipwrecked on an isolated island...

To play the scenario just copy the file 'The Reluctant Heroine.scx' into your 'scenarios' folder. You need the 'AoM: The Titans' expansion to run the scenario, but apart from that no extras are necessary, it works with the standard installation.

This is an updated version of the original scenario released in summer 2003. I have updated it to work with the 'AoM: The Titans' expansion which allows for a little more flexibility in the player's tactics. Apart from slightly improved opening cinematics and a few other details the update corrects some problems the older version had:

If Circe was assigned to an army it was impossible to win, since the game did not recognise the victory condition. I have changed these triggers so assigning Circe to an army no longer poses a problem.

Since AoM doesn't allow multiple upgrades of the same kind these were lost when the game was saved and reloaded. The player could use this to his advantage and take upgrades away from the enemy. Due to new trigger effects available I've been able to solve this problem; saving/reloading works fine now.

Sometimes the enemy would pile up dozens of Cyclopes in his fortress or at one of the player's TCs. I have changed the implementation here so this problem couldn't be reproduced any more.

The player could save himself a lot of trouble simply by ignoring the additional TCs he was supposed to liberate. As long as he left them in peace, the enemy would build up much slower. This has been changed, the player can no longer gain an advantage by tailoring his strategy to the triggers this way.

I would appreciate any comments, good or bad. Please tell me what you liked, what you disliked, and especially, tell me why. If you have any ideas on how to improve it, all the better.
Please send your comments via e-mail to hoodncloak@hotmail.com. Oh, and add "AoM" to the subject, otherwise your message will probably be lost in all the spam mail I receive.

Some more comments from my side:

The scenario is optimised for a screen resolution of 1024x768.
There are no difficulty levels in this scenario. It has been tested on 'easy' only, so I'd suggest you play it like that.
Don't expect a pushover, I'm always trying to make my scenarios "pleasantly hard". But don't worry, you don't need to be the ultimate gamer to beat it.

Oh, and one last hint: It IS possible to heal Circe, but you have to find out for
yourself how to do it. Don't look too far, it's actually pretty basic.

Have fun!
Felix
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
UltimateGamer650 Playability: 5
Well, this game is definitely playable. No problems.

Balance: 5
There was nothing to balance - only one objective.

Creativity: 5
It was a pretty creative idea to feature the aftermath of Circe (scenario 21 of Age of Mythology).

Map Design: 5
The Cyclopes' base was well done, and the slaves' towns looked great among the plains and forests.

Story/Instructions: 4
The instructions were very clear, and storyline is all right.

Additional Comments:
For most people, it is probably not the most exciting game but definitely not the worst. Those annoying Statues of Lightning are all over - watch out when exploring! You can tell there was a lot of work that was done.

[Edited on 11/12/03 @ 11:57 PM]

CheeZy
(id: CheeZy monkey)
This was a very solid scenario - it's good to see scenarios coming from AOM without using mods or the latest community tweaks. I can't review this now but a 4.8 does it justice.
Night_blade this map is fun to play, it took me an hour to beat it. the only bad thing is trying to heal circe. i was healed her with valkeries, and did a more that 60 hersir total rush to kill and the statues, and the responing cyclops. but i had alot of fun beating it.
Felix Hermansson
File Author
Nightblade, does your comment really refer to my scenario? There are no Norse units in there, I'm sure of that...

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Don't assign Circe to an army! It would nullify the army assignments from the editor and make it impossible to win!

[Edited on 03/08/04 @ 06:40 AM]

Magic Feathers Playability: 5
I've encountered no technical/trigger problems at all.

Balance: 3
Quite hard to play since there seems to be no possibility to heal Circe. She seems to regenerate from time to time, though.

Creativity: 5
Great idea! The original game placed far too less focus on that interesting character. Love the lighting thing. ;)

Map Design: 4
Thoughtfully and simply designed.

Quite clear.

Additional Comments:
I'd really love an opportunity to heal Circe. Everything else is fine for me.

[Edited on 11/12/03 @ 11:59 PM]

Felix Hermansson
File Author
There are ways to heal Circe, but I won't give them away here... Just one hint: Don't look too far, it's actually pretty basic.
Crispiness Great job! Not being able to heal Circe (I mean repeatedly, not just once-off) is annoying, but you can get around that by using the human units as meatshields, and micromanaging Circe so she doesn't get into the thick of the action. I really enjoyed this scenario, highly recommended.
Hero Jason Playability: 5
The map is very playable, there seem to be no bugs and it is extremely fun to play.

Balance: 4
This map is very well balanced, it can be quite hard in some places due to amount of foes but that just adds to the fun

Creativity: 4
An original creative idea, not being able to have heroes is a good idea which was used well.

Map Design: 5
Nicely designed map which wasn't difficult at all to find anything. There was an edge of realism in the way you designed the nature which was good.

Story was simple, plain and easy to understand, the intructions were clear and it was obvious what you had to do.

Additional Comments:
I didn't find not healing Circe a problem... it was generally a fun map which I enjoyed playing. And, as Crispy said, it is good for micromanagement and seems to be well thought out.

[Edited on 02/01/04 @ 04:54 PM]

LtMLC115 Felix,

All in all, I enjoyed your scenario. You asked for a few criticisms, and so I offer these constructively:

Intro: I thought it was well done. You used the pan and scan conservatively, which was better than nearly all the other intros in the "campaign" section. Overuse can make one dizzy or delve into a fit of epilectic seizures... Also, I was pleased that you incorporated intelligible english--it's annoying and distracting when words aren't spelled correctly or when people think it's "cool" to use 2 to mean "to" or "too." If anyone reading this is designing a scenario--don't do that. It gives an otherwise entertaining scenario the feel of something designed by an eight year old.

Circe: I don't know what people are talking about -- you can easily heal Circe. Either use your restoration god power or just build a temple of healing. In fact, as you progress in the scenario, building temples along the boundaries of your settlements helps to regenerate your units as you fend of the elder cyclopses.

Issues:

1. There seems to be a lack of combat sound effects. This doesn't affect the gameplay at all, but it does make you constantly look back and forth between settlements to see if your troops are actually engaging the cyclopses.

2. Farms can only be inserted on an angle that doesn't match the layout of the town center. Once again, this isn't a horrible thing, just sort of aesthetically frustrating.

3. If you click on the mission objective tab, the text is displayed scrolled down all the way -- just a small issue, but confusing at first.

4. Collateral damage occurs quite a bit. Innocent animals and even your own herded animals are killed whenever Circe using her lightning attack. Catapults also cause trees to be destroyed and surrounding animals to be killed. This can be frustrating when trees are destroyed because it alters your defensive layout early on. Further, the catapults have awful aiming capabilities. It takes them fully 40 seconds to range in on the lightning Poseidon statues. This absolutely kills momentum when you stage an attack.

5. Shade generation happens too quickly. Nuff said.

6. Though it wouldn't mesh well with the storyline, incorporating another hero somehow would take the frustration out of constantly defending against myth units.

7. The map could use a few more natural defensive structures--it's a little bland. It might help to create some elevated terrain with a path that basically funnels the enemies into one of several areas.

I don't know how many of these issues you actually can change or even address -- I just thought I'd include them for the sake of being thorough. I'll say this--you certainly did a great job, despite the issues mentioned above. I've played very few user-designed scenarios that are as enjoyable. If you were to string a few together with a coherent plot line, I'm sure it would be one of the more popular campaigns on the net.

-mc
Felix Hermansson
File Author
The game settings may be the reason for your problems with battle sounds and the objective, both work fine for me.

As for a campaign, 'The Reluctant Heroine' is meant to be the first scenario of a campaign, but only the gods know if I will ever finish it...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.5