New Files

Random Map Scripts » Great Britain

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Great Britain

Author File Description
kalus
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
This is a world map of the Great Britain main island and Ireland and a small part of Northern
France. It is quite similar to the Great Britain world map in AOK.

Check the included readme for further information.

Enjoy.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Pascal9872 First let me say it is clear that you put a lot of work into the map and overall I think it has some real potential. Secondly the loading time is really an artifact of the type of map you are making (you are basically building the map block by block).

The main fault I found on a 2v2 map is that everything is crowded, my suggestion would be to add some constraints to keep things away from each other: Forest avoid Forest, Forests avoid cliffs, Forest avoids Settlements, Cliffs avoid Settlements and Settlements Avoid Water. I am not sure if you can do all of those using map gen but I know that there are some options for constraints in there.

I am not trying to be too critical just trying to help ya out, as I said your map has a lot of potential and I hope you continue to explore the world of rms.
Finwe I liked the visual of this map a lot. True, it is cramped, but that's the way the British Isles are! However, I set this up as me vs. a team of 3 computer opponents on Hard. The game started with no Settlements controlled. I immediately grabbed the one that was available in Ireland (talked about cramped!), but my opponents NEVER built settlements. They spent the whole game doing absolutely nothing. I quickly played the game through to completion just to see if anything would trigger them to become motivated, but they never did. I think this map would've been great fun if I had had some opposition!
kalus
File Author
With the new version 0.2, I tried to specifically adress the critique in the comments above.
I extracted two main issues:

1. the map being too crowded:
Yes, you are right. I have really released the first version a bit too quick. I have changed the placing order of things, so that forests are built at last. And, as suggested, I have added some constraints to keep things away from eachother.
But I do not agree with keeping settlements away from water and cliffs. I think it is quite funny to have a map where siege ships play some role.

2. no opposition:
This is a real problem. It is not a fault of the map but of the ai, though. I have added an updated part of admiral.xs for those who have it. But it is a very quick solution to make the opponent do anything at all. It always goes for ireland or france because these are the first islands it finds. But I am working on a better and more clever admiral ai.
And I have the slight hope that the x-pack will add some strenght to the watermap behaviour of the ai.

[Edited on 12/12/07 @ 10:47 AM]

JNL
Rating
Rating: 5
(Insert Rating analysis here)

Additional Comments:
This is a really nice map. You need the Admiral AI to play it (it's amazing that ES dose'nt provide a AI for water maps).
With 12 players on a large map with Admiral AI it was a very interesting game with nice scenery.
kalus
File Author
The new version 0.3 supports atlanteans.
harvestking3
Rating
Very nice map.

I'll say one thing:

It was AWESOME to say "I controled scotland" and "i kicked 'northern france's' ass."

Thank you.
Victur Slayer
Rating
Rating: 4
I'm really impressed! This must've been hard to do!

Additional Comments:
Even though this is a great map, and you made it look lika great britain really, really, really, really good, the AI is'nt that very good here! They don't get to the Island så you have the whole ilsaand for yourself when you play alone! But otherwise, it was GREAT!
Hanoil
Rating
Rating: 4
Great fun, just like someone else said, great saying things like "I invaded Ireland!" as Welsh and such, as in aok. Everything was really crampped and resources seemed ridiculously all over the place, and while it was cool siege shipping the enemies tc I do thing their needs to be a bit more room. And I found their were berries right next to your tc was abit weird.

Additional Comments:
Review based on playing games against 'admiral x ai'.
Odins Watcher Edit: Removed

[Edited on 05/25/10 @ 07:13 PM]

cristiboy There is to AoM?
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating