Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Single Player Scenarios » Athyr - A Journey Into The Unkown (v1.2)

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Athyr - A Journey Into The Unkown (v1.2)

Author File Description
Fire Giant
File Details
Version: AoM
Updates

v1.1: Fixed bug that locked the gates of Floruta and therefore caused the game to stop halfway of the story (German version only, fixed in initial English release).
v1.2: Sorted out a bug that occured during the Floruta cinematic and caused the scenario to crash because a trigger did not fire (English version only).
v1.2.1: Removed two developer cheats that somehow made into the release version. Also fixed a German message that popped up at the first village.

What is "Athyr" ?

"Athyr - A Journey Into The Unknown" is a project by the Mythological World Designers, the premier German AoM design team. In a design team, a group of mappers works together and develops scenarios, while each member uses his personal abilities to make the projects as good as possible.

What is "Athyr - A Journey Into The Unknown" about ?
This project is about an Egyptian pharaoh, who, persuaded by strange dreams and visions, travels to an island in the Nile, where the High Priest of Re lives to ask him about the meaning of these dreams. The answer which he gets, has a great influence on the following events and his further life...

What's special about this project ?

The map isn't giantic, but it contains a lot of triggers (about 300) and cinematics with contest-prooved MWD quality. Furthermore, it is the first complete English scenario release of the Mythological World Designers and there have been spent hundreds of working-hours into the project.

I got a problem with the scenario...

This scenarios had been beta-tested for a long time, but still we cannot gurantee that it works without problems. If there are problems with the scenario, please post it in the AoMH forums or the MWD Forum (see links below). We will try to find a solution then.

Where can I get additional information ?
In the included readme file, you can get additional information about how to install and play the scenario. Questions can furthermore be asked in the MWD Forum or in the AoMH scenario design forum.

The whole MWD team hopes you'll have a lot of fun playing this scenario !

Note: The English version already includes a patched version of the map (1.1), which solves a "gate bug" that caused the game triggers to stop about halfway in the story.

Links:

MWD Website: http://www.age-scripts.de/aomd/html/index.php (German)
MWD-Forum: http://www.age-scripts.de/mwd-forum (includes English forum)
Age of Mythology Network: http://www.aomn.de (German)
Age of Mythology Heaven: http://aom.heavengames.com
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Archaeopterix
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
It was totally playable :) No bugs whatsoever (at least, in this version). The scenario didn't get boring. Good job. I would have liked it seen longer though... It was a bit short.

Balance: 3
In my opinion it was a bit too easy. Wen in the big city, the camel attack was easily overcome, and once I cleared the whole area it was too easy to kill the mountain city. I had so many resources (Created villagers from the northern city TC, and even built an extra TC in the destroyed bandits camp), I just pumped units and had a 100 unit army. If you maybe reduce the pop limit a bit, or make the mountain city stronger, it would be just fine.

Creativity: 4
Nice work. I liked the trigger ideas. The camel charge of the main city looked so natural, well done.

Map Design: 4
It all looked very natural, but there wasn't any revolutionary eyecandy in it. The city looked very nice though. I really felt right at home in the map :) Oh and the mummy-grave thing was nice too.

Story/Instructions: 4
All instructions were totally clear, but I don't really feel like I understood the whole story. Athyr has some... dreams about his future? and uh... the city is about to be attacked, but then you have to attack the mountain city instead, and win with ease? Well, maybe that's more a balance thing.
Over all, good job on this point.

Additional Comments:
A nice scenario :) So, everyone: dowload!
Hugor Very good ideas and map design. I like it to cross the map between citys and the nile and all this stuff, and the fights are balanced and you need tactics to win. But i prefer the german version ;)
CheeZy
(id: CheeZy monkey)
Playability: 5
This scenario was alot of fun :) Reminds me of the good old scenarios of AoK, great job on this one. This is a scenario inwhich you actually have to think in order to progress through the story, not just follow a straight path.

Balance: 4
Tricky at some parts, too easy at others. It kept you entertained though.

Clever story, nice cinematics and triggers, good work considering you didn't make this with the Expansion.

Very natural and fluid, but nothing amazing, and not much eyecandy through out the map. Oh, great cities by the way :) They looked very realistic.

The story was alright, just for some spelling errors. Some more depth and emotion in it wouldn't be bad, and I'm not talking about exclamation points or using caps :) The instructions were well done and I didn't find myself confused through the scenario.

Additional Comments:
Nice stuff :) MWD is rising very fast in the scenario design scene

[Edited on 05/25/06 @ 04:59 PM]

Gaurdian_112 Playability: 5
Woah! I loaded this up after seeing the news post and it was fun, espiacally since you made it with the AoM editor. Great job, actually it really does remind me of the old AoK scenarios!

Its well-balanced, I mean some parts are tricky but I like that. I have no idea why I gave you a four here, but there's something about the balance that annoys me..it just doesn't deserve a total 5.

Creativity: 5

An original story and map makes this a certain 5.

Well, nothing that special but I liked the way you layed out the cities. A little more eye candy would have been better, but its still nice. A 4 well deserved.

Story/Instructions: 5

I think he translated this from another language into english, so its unfair to diminish his rating just because of that, he tried, which is why I'll give him a 5.

Additional Comments:

Nice work, looking forward to more scns. A real inspiration to scenario designers looking for more ideas!

[Edited on 02/01/04 @ 05:00 PM]

KaStOr_55 Playability: 5
I can finally play it through, no bugs at all.

Balance: 5
A bit tricky at some points, but other than that excellent.

A work of art, you should really make more scenarios like this one.

The only reason I gave it a 4 is because the layout can be tricky and there isn't enough eyecandy.

Story/Instructions: 5
You converted this from another language and made the instructions crystal clear, except for a few spelling errors.

Additional Comments:
You did a great job, keep up the great work.

[Edited on 01/20/04 @ 10:51 AM]

AoM NL I don't get it.
Are we talking about the same version?
I downloaded it last sunday (dec.14).
There 's something wrong within the Introcinematics:
I get several black screens with dialogues ?

And playing, I got stuck in defending the city. North-West wall of city is down, repeatedly attacks by scarabs and infantry.
No workers available to rebuild walls.

No progress...?
I could use a hint.
Auron_
(id: auron 2)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
dude, this is one of the best maps i have ever played. in order to win this scenario, you have to think carefully and not just going on a straight path. The map was full of action and entertainment. it took me about an hour to beat it on Titan Level.

It was almost a perfect balance. but in some parts i thought the enemy had some advantages. and also, the Pharaoh get killed too easy. you should have made it him more stronger

This scenario deserves a perect score. Good Story, Cinematics, and cool Sounds that made the scenario kind of unique. the story was really good. the names in which the characters and cityes were named, weren't so bad. But I found a problem with the first dialog that i think no one has noticed. The first Dialog from the Pharaoh at the beginning of the intro cinematic is too long to fit on the black dialog box. the Pharaoh first dialog finish on the letter "the". then after that, the other character (Setna) starts talking. so the player won't be able to know the last part of the pharaohs dialog.

Well made scenario. I really liked the way you mixed the grass and rocks making it look so colorful. there was just eyecandy everywhere. terrain well painted with different colors, and the entire scenario contained little details like flowers, bushed and that kind of stuff. And the Citied were just amaizing.

I had no trouble understanding the objectves. they were short and helpful.

Additional Comments:

And AoM NL, The intro-cinematic is supposed to be black. thats how the designers decided the intro cinematic would look. I don't think you'll get builders to repair buildings. or else it would be too easy.

[Edited on 03/31/04 @ 11:53 PM]

Fire Giant
File Author
Thanks for your reviews. It makes us at MWD feel good to hear that you like our work.

AoM NL, I'm not sure what you mean, but I think there are indeed several black screens with text, but those are only fadings and the main dialogue between Athyr and the Priest should be visible.
Also, it's right that you don't get any workers (though there's an option to get some), you need to be aggressive and attack the Bandits. Else you will probably get attacked often. Look for workers in the gray village in the North.

[Edited on 12/26/03 @ 10:07 AM]

avenger2003 Playability: 4
it is playable .i did not find any bugs.great

bit too easy.increase difficulty level

nice use of AOE sounds

not brilliant but nor dull. could have been more beautiful

Story/Instructions: 3
instructions were confusing like there was no mention how to get the camel caravan out of city.

Additional Comments:the visuals seem to 'hang' in the starting.no pics,blank screen in the beginning. .. keep up the good job.
DOWNLOAD is recommended

[Edited on 01/20/04 @ 10:51 AM]

petero lovely scenario, though a bit easy on hard
i just have one problem
i never found the oracle
i see an old man and a theocrat in the green village but they don't talk to me :(
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.5