Download File Post Review Post Comment

Behind the Scenes

Author File Description
Felix Hermansson
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
Behind the Scenes
-----------------

This is the third part of my Circe saga. After her victory over Theris in the underworld, Hades has sent the reluctant heroine to the Norselands where two dwarven brothers are fighting a desperate battle against time, trying to reforge the Hammer of Thor...

To play this scenario just copy the file 'Behind the Scenes.scx' into your 'scenarios' folder. You need the 'AoM: The Titans' expansion to run the scenario, but apart from that no extras are necessary, it works with the standard installation.

I would appreciate any comments, good or bad. Please tell me what you liked, what you disliked, and especially, tell me why. If you have any ideas on how to improve it, all the better.
Please send your comments via e-mail to hoodncloak@hotmail.com. Oh, and add 'AoM' to the subject, otherwise your message will probably be lost within the spam.

Some comments from my side:

- There are no difficulty levels in this scenario. It has been tested on 'easy' only, so I'd suggest you play it like that.
- Don't expect a pushover, I'm always trying to make my scenarios "pleasantly hard". You have been warned... ;-)
- The scenario features well over 300 triggers, so slower machines may get some problems. A three year old PIII 900 MHz, 512 MB RAM does work fine though.

Oh, and one last hint: Explore the map! I doubt that you will be able to complete the scenario without uncovering one or two little secrets first.

Have fun!
Felix
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
neverrush There must be a bug--I've repaired all the buildings and yet nothing happens. Yet when a giant destroys my town center there was a trigger for wood collecting to burn for favor.
Felix Hermansson
File Author
Sounds as if you forgot to repair the Town Center itself. Once the giant had destroyed it, all remaining buildings "had been repaired" and the game continued normally. (Note that losing the TC will not cost you the game - at least, not directly...)
Try again, and check if you really had completely repaired all buildings (TC, Towers, Forges, Armory and Temple).
Esus_
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
The playability was brilliant. I was somewhat sceptical when I first began, but it turned out to be really fun! There was never a dull moment and I always found something very interesting around every corner, whether it be a wonderful garden or a jolly fellow in a house surrouned by walls. I congratulate you on yet another incredibly playable and very fun scenario

Balance: 4
I never seem to find too much to say about balance... the map was nicely balanced, and it was all possible - but hard - which was ncie for a change. I don't like scenarios where it's almost impossible not to win, and I think you've done very well here - though those blasted mountain giants caused me to re-try the scenario a couple of times.

Creativity: 5
A very creative idea, along with the title; 'Behind the Scenes' which fits in perfectly with the whole storyline and the idea of it fitting in with 'The Fall of the Trident' campaign. The objectives all struck me as somewhat original, and therefore creative, but that may have just been the way it was presented. Either way, it's all good.

Map Design: 3
A very nicely designed map with surprises around every corner. Like 'The Reluctant Heroine', you gave the player the choice to be able to go everywhere straight off - I appreciate this a lot as set roads do often become rather tedious.
Many parts of the map were full of eye candy, and the best part is that it looked compeltely feesable and realistic. There were no ridiculous features that noone could ever practically dream of and again, I appreciate this.
However, there was nothing particularly outstanding or unique in this. Though this of course is not a bad thing, I feel more miscellaneous and ambient objects could have added to an atmosphere.

Story/Instructions: 5
Very nice story which fits in with 'The Fall of the Trident' very nicely in a smooth way. The instructions were also very clear, and I knew exactly what to do and when to do it, whilst overcoming various obstacles.
I really did like the story, I liked the fact that the gods were a "major" part of the game, both Loki and Thor being referred to quite often as well as Aesir (I think?) which was nice.

Additional Comments:
All I can additionally say is that I really look forward to the Forth Part.

[Edited on 01/26/05 @ 09:45 PM]

neverrush After the gold is done it's pretty much impossible odds--I counted at least 10 frost giants, 8 fire giants and 8 regular giants and countless wolves. And all against my puny norse buildings. Balance is definitely way off there.
If the forge wasn't built in such an open space maybe I could have concentrated on defense at 1 point...
Felix Hermansson
File Author
As I said, don't expect a pushover... Micromanagement definitely is the key to success in this battle, especially as far as Circe and (hint!) some other "ladys" are concerned. If you follow the hints and explore the map it's actually possible to field more than 40 units to defend the forge. I would not exactly call that "impossible" odds, especially since you don't need that many units to succeed. Anyway, I can beat it and so (I assume) could Esus. It's certainly hard, maybe too hard for some. But it's far from being impossible.

Btw, the bug you mentioned in your first post - did it reappear, or was my assumption about the TC correct?

[Edited on 03/04/04 @ 02:52 AM]

Felix Hermansson
File Author
Esus, thanks for your feedback! You made me blush... Just one question: What was it that made you sceptical in the beginning?

Btw, Aesir is no god. The Aesir are Odin, Thor & Co, one of the families/races of the norse gods.
neverrush It's not that I can't find the units you're talking about (the valkyrie, the extra dwarves, the shade, the alfar and their buildings--useful for distracting the wolves, and even extra help from Hades appearing from nowhere) but that the amount of attacking is too much from too many sides. What happened to good old wall building and turtling? (I did play on hard though...)
Esus_ " What was it that made you sceptical in the beginning?"
Well, I'm pften sceptical, too foten really. The cinematic was great, it was initially the whole send dwarves to base bit. I really don't know why, I shouldn't have been but... meh :)

I knew I'd get the Aesir bit wrong. I always seem to if there isn't a book detailing Norse Mythology right in front of me :p
Gr�n
(id: AoMPlayer000)
I've played it partially, but I don't think it deserves a 4.6 (which it had at the moment I was writing this). It was sometimes a bit boring. Remember: Gathering resources as the main task is NOT too funny. I don't think you should fight all the time, but it's simply not funny to watch your workers working (especially when they get killed and, because you can't train new ones, 2 dwarfs have to collect 2000 gold).
Felix Hermansson
File Author
I think it's a little unfair to judge my scenario before you have seen all of it. But you're right, I never considered the possibility of a player losing so many miners so fast and not resigning/reloading. Half a dozen or more upgraded dwarves usually deplete a gold mine faster than their guards can clean up the neighbourhood. Nevertheless, I think I'll have to give the matter a little thought, as the Wizard of Oz would put it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.0