Download File Post Review Post Comment

Siaram

Author File Description
rostro
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
// Siaram v1.0 A daylight desert map.
// Rostro 3/6/2004

A daylight desert map with valleys and a little less treeage than usual. There are extra relics in the middle, but watch out for their protector. Map Size: the more players, the larger the map. Large map contains extra settlements.

// Hyenas may cause trouble for villagers. Not singlining out one villager to go build that settlement or mine that gold would be a good idea. Those Hyenas are hungry too :-).

// Because of the cliff valleys, middle protector, and extra map size, I have found this map to allow a little more build time for econ/strategy.

// Map Size: the more players, the larger the map. Take note, a Medium (normal) 2vs2 map is slightly larger than a 1vs1 Large map.

// The proportion of trees and valleys to map size stays the same, in other words, larger the map space, more trees and valleys to fill up the same proportion of map space.

Have Fun,

Rostro
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Counter_Master
Rating
Rating: 5
Nice Map.

Additional Comments:
The little island in the center was screwed...it was half connected to the land and half to the water...Looked really weird. Otherwise...GREAT MAP!!!!!!!
rostro
File Author
Glad you like the map Counter_Master.

"The little island in the center..." yeah, most of the time it appears as a little island and sometimes it appears as some water almost surrounding some land. I ended up liking the varation of sometimes island and sometimes not because when the water doesnt surround it there is a better chance to take out the protector on the 'island'.

Others let me know, if you think it should always be an island in the middle I will tweak away and resubmit the map.

Thanks again Counter_Master for the comments.

[Edited on 03/08/04 @ 04:42 PM]

Pascal9872
Rating
Rating: 2.5 (composite)

Theme: 2

The map claimed to be a desert but seemed mostly to be grass dirt. There were multiple scripting bugs in this map which seriously hampered the theme score here.

Several of the relic areas did not place which caused my debugger to fire up. If you think the area will not place and it is not something too important then setting area warn failure to false prevents the debugger from firing. There is nothing more annoying than starting a map and having the debugger pop up. I realize the TT debugger does not work but there is nothing in this script that is not in AOM so you could use that debugger.

Visual Appeal: 3.0

Terrain variation was there though you might question the choice of terrain for a desert map. A better name might be mountains or something greek.

The lighting set was the default and not different like indicated. The problem is that 'morning' is not a default lighting set, if the scriptor is using an additional lighting set then it should be included with the map. It really is not a good idea to use different lighting sets though, since they do not transfer over eso when the map transfers.

I found the mass of forest rough on the eyes and the forest didn't seem to fit the surronding terrain very well.
rmSetAreaSize(forestID, rmAreaTilesToFraction(150), rmAreaTilesToFraction(1100)); 1100 tiles of forest is a lot of tiles for a forest and as a result you got seas of forest on this map. Seas of forest just don't seem appropriate
on a desert map. Without the issues with forest size and terrains matching each other I would have given the visual appeal a 3.5

Playablity: 2.5

Starting objects don't place. In my one test only 3 of my starting towers placed, though the scriptor intends to place 5 starting towers. A suggestion to fix the issues you are having with towers would be to place towers first and then tell the forest to avoid towers, preferably all objects, and then build the forest.

Some of the gold mines are placed in places where they can not be mined (side of a cliff). You should either place gold first or tell it to avoid impassable land.

Scaling constraints by size of map, though an interesting concept, is not a good idea.
As the map gets larger the towers get very spread out and may not place, you are also pushing the medium resources very far away.

With that said the intended scaling does not occur correctly after the number of players exceeds 3. For 4 or more players MapR = 1. This is caused by a lack of carefulness with RMS variables. sizesqr should be a float variable and MapR = 1.0 - 140000.0/sizesqr.

If your scaling worked, it would really stretch the map out and give lots of open areas. A better type of scaling would be to just add more objects when the map gets larger.

Other Comments:

This map has an a different feel and can be fun to play on but needs some work to achieve a higher rating. Some scripting errors and the lack of following a consistent theme (savannah trees on grass dirt, seas of forest in a desert region) were the main things that detracted from the rating this map could achieve.

[Edited on 03/08/04 @ 08:24 PM]

rostro
File Author
Gold most of the time can be mined from the side of the cliff. This is done on purpose because it is more realistic. Only one time I was unable to mine gold on a cliff and that was from the map Grand Marais.

I am aware of the things that don't place and I focused this time on speed of map loading. I find the map loads faster if don't worry too much about the constraints and allow stuff (like trees etc) to plop over other stuff.

From testing, there are 1-2 relics placed per player plus a few in the middle. Man if all the relics placed that were scripted, there would be like 6 per player. That would be alot! :-)

[Edited on 03/08/04 @ 08:49 PM]

Patchouli
Rating
(Insert Rating analysis here)

Additional Comments:
hey, i liked the map... i had no problems loading it and thought there was some challenges in playing which is great for those of us who play this game everyday! hard to do a real desert map with the need for trees, it works.. plenty of town centers and gold. just like in reality, you cannot always get to where you want.... thanks rostro for another fun map!!
Pascal9872 Whether you like it or not gold mines placed on cliff sides which are inaccessible is not good scripting. If it truely was intended then it would happen more than it does. (It seems to me you say it is intended because you are not exactly sure how to stop it).

If the map causes the debugger to load then it is just a bad map period. You need to use the RMS debugger to make sure these issues don't occur.
You use the same variable name for settlements that you used for stragglers and hence that extra settlement never places.
The object name for broken columns is an invalid object name and will cause the debugger to load for anyone that has it enabled.
Your areas of egyptian road fail to reach the min tile count quite often, this also causes the debugger to fire. Your attempt to make the relics, float fails once the map loads.

The above is all the cause of sloppy scripting. As far as speed of loading it takes forever for a 4 player map to load and the lack of an advancing status bar makes it seem even longer.

Allowing stuff to just 'plop' over other stuff is not good scritping. I know I would hate it if a forest plopped over my second gold mine and not my opponents.

If you only want 1-2 relics per player to place then that is how it should be scripted.

[Edited on 03/08/04 @ 09:58 PM]

rostro
File Author
"Whether you like it or not gold mines placed on cliff sides which are inaccessible is not good scripting. If it truely was intended then it would happen more than it does. (It seems to me you say it is intended because you are not exactly sure how to stop it)."
Wow, pretty aggressive. Here is the point: gold mines CAN be 'gathered' if they appear on a cliff side almost all of the time. The cliff faces on Siaram are usually not large enough to completely surround the gold mine. They can be gathered from one side or the other. If anyone is extremely interested, I'll submit a saved game file doing it :-)

BTW I admit it, I am a horrible AOM RMS scripter. I don't even know how to use the RMS debugger. I tried to enable it and I don't know how to use the debugger, but you know what, I dibble in making some semi-cool looking large maps that the AI plays competitivley on and they are fun. My friends and I play them and have fun with them and that is what counts and that is all I have to say. If others want to see/play my dibble maps please respond, otherwise, my career seems to be demanding more of my time which means I will be able to spend even less time RMSing.

Well thank you for disecting my RMS with such constructive criticism:

"If you only want 1-2 relics per player to place then that is how it should be scripted."
- well, that is the great thing about the world we live in. I can script any way I please and we can have fun just the same because I am coloring outside the lines buddy, Why? Because we are having fun doing it.

[Edited on 03/08/04 @ 11:43 PM]

Pascal9872 You don't take constructive criticism very well it seems. My review was objective and offered many suggestions on how you can make the map better. I would expect you to be quite happy with suggestions on how to improve your map, I know I would be.

If you fixed the errors I mentioned and tried to adjust things to theme you chose your map could easily rate 3.5, which despite what people would feel is a good rating for a map on a scale of 1-5. 3 is average so anything above 3 is good. 4 is great and 5 is the pinnacle that we should all strive for.

Again I never intended to diss you, I set out to write an unbiased and constructive review with helpful suggestions on how you can improve. I even said the map can be fun to play on.

And your not a 'horrible scriptor' you just lack the knowledge of some features that can make your maps better. Please look at a thread I just made in rms scripting forum on using the debugger.

[Edited on 03/09/04 @ 01:54 AM]

arawn Blimey not sure I should comment in case I start off another round of you guys comments but I liked it!

Yep the Goldmines were odd but I was able to get at them so I dont care!
polotili
Rating
very good map

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating