New Files

Single Player Scenarios » The Eyes of Hades

Download File Post Review Post Comment

The Eyes of Hades

Author File Description
Matt15987
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
This is my first scenario Its a puzzle adventure so tell me what you think.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
neverrush
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 4
Thanks to the renaming of relics, this was actually very entertaining (nail clippers, door keys and such). Pure puzzles--no big fighting but that is OK (I wish more people would do such puzzle scenarios).

Balance: 3
Since there's not much fighting going on, and most of the evil people are underpowered (myth units and General Melagius who's a wimp against Ajax and Arkantos), the heroes have a decided advantage. The only challenge was the spawning automata...

Creativity: 4
Good use of triggers. I like the mini boss level for Ajax where people just have to realize destroying the red people would be enough to get the relic and not waste time on the automata.

Map Design: 3
Half the map was empty--may you ran out of ideas for puzzles...

Story/Instructions: 4
A little more clarification for the Arkantos titan puzzle would be good (I was all set to blockade with relics and do the attack-run-regenerate thing with the titan--would have taken me a long time)...

Additional Comments:
Very good scenario for a first try--we want more!
Auron_
(id: auron 2)
hey neverrush, you seem to know a lot about designing since you have been here on heavengames for so long. why dont you post a couple of scenarios? and same for the bard, why dont you guys post something?
neverrush No auron, I know almost nothing about scenario making. Tried making one based on Animal Planet's Animal Police (saving animals and such--see my forum post last month for what I wanted to do) but rapidly lost the ability to keep track of triggers...was never that good at programming lisp...now only if they can make a scenario editor that resembles C++, i.e. text-based instead of menu-based triggers...
Dnas
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 4
LOTS of fun. A couple little bugs:
1. The lens of the mirror towers seem to have to be placed in a specific order. (meaning you can't switch them)
2. Near the lens area there is a small path that lets you walk into the blank green space.
3. If you put the wrong relic in the first temple at Ajax's boss and ungarrison it, it ends up at the wrong side of the temple.

Balance: 4
Unfortunately, I don't understand the bit about balance in the reviewing guide, so I just took the average of the over ratings. (In other words, it neither hurt or helped your score.)

Creativity: 5
If this isn't creative, I have absolutely no clue what is!

Map Design: 4
The map was nice, but You could see some of the areas that weren't messed with. It doesn't have as much eyecandy as some other scenarios, but this is satisfactory amount for me.

Story/Instructions: 3
There wasn't any story (as far as I know)
the instructions at the beginning were clear, but at the end, I had to look at the readme.

Additional Comments:
VERY good! Please make more!
The Bard
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 3
The main problem here is that the scenario is getting repetitive very quickly (see 'Creativity'). Also, there are a number of bugs and flaws in there:
It's possible to walk off the map at different locations, namely in the 'boss room' on Arkantos' path and around the lake in the centre. The player can win the game by solving Arkantos' part and then have Ajax walk across to join him without even bothering with most of his own riddles. (Spend more time on the map design and close these loopholes.)
The Pegasus can be used to scout the map before it is brought back to its owner. (Don't convert it, just lash it to Ajax with a looping 'move to unit' trigger.)
The Pegasus can trigger events if he gets in LoS of certain units. (Change the conditions so only Ajax and Arkantos can do that.)
No matter how you name the relics – the Bridle of Pegasus will still give the player a Pegasus when brought to a temple. (Use 'force relic' triggers to keep that from happening. This way you could also give the player a reward for solving the first part.)
No matter which Chimera is chosen – the player always loses, even if 'his' Chimera wins the fight. (Check those triggers, there's a bug in there.)
The lenses are not interchangeable. Possibly by design, but still a little hard to understand for the player. (Add another trigger here.)
Kronny's doors are pretty pointless, the player can simply chose all three of them. (Make something happen if he chooses the wrong one – summon a monster or something.)
The salesman complains about Ajax having no money, even if he has just sold him the clippers. (Disable this trigger once the deal is done.)
The Sentinel GP is completely useless. (Remove it. Or better yet, find a way to use it in one of the riddles!)
The game starts at the Hades statue, leaving the player to wonder what to do. (Start with one of the heroes.)
The game doesn’t end after the victory message. (Add a 'you win' effect to the trigger.)

Balance: 2
It's way too easy! Getting yourself killed is almost impossible (using non-regenerating heroes would already help here) and the riddles don't offer much of a challenge either.

Creativity: 3
The main idea behind the map is certainly creative. The point is in my mind, you didn't get it to work properly because you ran out of ideas for the riddles very quickly. The only ones worth mentioning are those in the boss rooms, everything else is limited to "you have to go to point A before you're allowed to go to point B". In a riddle-specific scenario I would expect more much variety (like linking two tasks of the heroes together).

Map Design: 2
I didn't like the map at all. It seems as if you didn't want to lose too much time when drawing it. There is no eye candy whatsoever, and everything is set up in straight lines. You should put more work and much more 'love' into your map design.
Take the so-called river at the beginning: It's no river at all, it's a little pond the old man can simply walk around all by himself. If you'd just blocked the shorelines and put some obstacles into the 'river' itself to keep the transport from going to far, the player would never notice. The way it is right now it looks pretty stupid.

Story/Instructions: 2
There is no story to speak of, not in the game itself. It would have helped to put the background story into the spotlight instead of into the readme file. The instructions in the objectives are limited to a single sentence. The chats on the other hand, which serve as 'real' instructions here, are more or less clear, but as above, I got the impression that you didn't want to lose too much time when writing them. I can tell by the spelling alone...

Additional Comments:
I missed background music, in-game sounds and special effects. (Saving/reloading the game provides music at least.) The Arci for example just vanish without a trace. Have them leave in a flash of light, with a clash of drums, or have them say goodbye – anything, but don't just delete them. It's those little details that make up much of a good scenario.
Dnas "No matter which Chimera is chosen – the player always loses, even if 'his' Chimera wins the fight. (Check those triggers, there's a bug in there.)"

Actually, you'll win IF you don't select the other chimera.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.7
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0