# of Scenarios: Two
Version: AoM: The Titans
Trip to the Colosseum Version 1.01
A Cinematic for the AOM Titans Expansion
By Tom Barak
Running Time: 9:25
5/13/2004

-----Intro-------

This is my submission for the cinematic contest. There is one aspect which may need fixing and I am curious to see if you guys notice and complain about it. There is still time to fix it before the contest deadline, however. To see screen shots and a thread in the Design Forums click http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,19262,,all

-----Story-----

A Trip to the Colosseum

"Hear ye, hear ye", calls the town crier as the citizens of Umbria gather around the announcing podium. "In celebration of this cinematic contest, Emperor Arkantos has sponsored games. In the splendid city of Rome her citizens have built a wonder not matched throughout the ages. Come, together we shall visit this marvel and witness the grand spectacle".

And so a group of Umbrians pack into transports and make the journey to the city of Rome where they see combat feats of titan proportions!

Combat Program

I Hades' heroes versus evil mythical creatures
II King Nefarious' Royal Migdol Formation Riding Team
III Recreation of the second fall of Carthage (okay, with a twist)

-----Contact-----

tbarak@sprint.ca
www.dov.ca
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Auron_
(id: auron 2)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
The story is simply amaizing. A group of village trabeling from a humble village into a mighty colliseum, along with exellent dialogs.
This scenario is worthy of a 5 is creativity. The music perfectly fits the surroundings, and the way you manage to do some cool tricks with the units, moving them around, simply fantastiic. I really liked the way you made the villagers look as if they garrisoned into the ox-cart.
The camera tracks were smooth. There werent any problems with the triggers. Although at the end, the story seems to go "off-topic". At the end of the second scenario, suddenly titans start to appear, flying units, priest, ETC, which kinda didnt really fit for a colliseum fighting. IMO, it would have been better the fight which didnt involve titans and flying units. It caused a lot of lag the last fight too. anyway, the other starting fights in the colliseum were really stylish. the horses running around the archers, simply a piece of hard triggering work:), along with the horse show, really well made.
about the intro, the first yellow text fade out too quickly. this is just my opinion, but you could have used "play dialog". map design: enjoyable scenarios to see. amaizing colliseum, bridge, well, use of overlapping buildings, ETC.
well, my comments toward this campaign cinematic are positive. the scenarios contained minor(barely) any problems. All i have to say is, download it, watch it, and enjoy it:P

[Edited on 07/01/04 @ 02:51 AM]

Gr�n
(id: AoMPlayer000)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Incredible. A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y-A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!
Seems like I terribly underestimated you, tbarak. It is just great, and it deserves a short 5.0 review, no TWENTY of them! EXCELLENT! Everything: Map design, buildings, story, camera angles, everything. My personal favourite are the egyptian riders: Splendid; a graceful horseback riding show that is about 40 secs long, I'd say, and I've NEVER seen that before, and moreover it just stunned me while I was watching it...

I only noticed four little weak spots:
1. At the first zoom into the colloseum, one sees a black line beneath the sky.
2. The name "Crier" is not too good, I think...
3. As Auron said, the final fight is a bit exaggerated, though very funny to watch IMO.
4. Use the ending "*.cpx" for scx campaign files.

This is simply a 5.0 IMO. And I haven't seen other pieces of scn work that deserve this mark yet. Your eyecandy can compete with Oscar's, BTW ;).

[Edited on 07/01/04 @ 11:46 AM]

Auron_
(id: auron 2)
do you all think if kumar watch this, he will finally wake up and start spotlighting scenarios on the main page like cheezy did:p

hey aomplayer, i created 11 metallica terrrains, if you wanna check them out, i posted them at my site!
tbarak
File Author
OMG, thanks you guys. Wow, that really makes my day. When I saw your name Player in the ratings I braced myself but I am extremely pleased you enjoyed the work. You too Auron. Yeah, that black boarder in the first tracking shot into the colosseum is the one that's been giving me problems. I have so little actual colosseum to work with that the camera track is really hard to pull off just right. I mucked with it for a long time but will try again before the contest deadline. Good advise regarding the campaign file as well...never thought of that! Thanks again guys for taking the time to watch and rate my project! I agree I may have gotten a little carried away with the final battle.
Gr�n
(id: AoMPlayer000)
You did a very good job. (OT) Auron, the terrains are great, I haven't tried them out, but I'm fascinated by the idea ;)... I've just learned the lyrics from "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by heart, BTW ;)...

Shouldn't we get a category for cinematics in our DL section, BTW? This would be at its top, followed by the Lay Of Vestrigard ;)...

[Edited on 07/01/04 @ 02:13 PM]

tbarak
File Author
LOL. Metallica Terrains. You got any Stevie Ray Vaughan ones?:)
DTAIAS_Inferno excellent. The only thing I noticed that was bad was in the final fight, one or two lightning bolts hit a villiger in the stands. I understand this must have taken a very long time to do. Great job!
tbarak
File Author
Thanks Inferno for your remarks. Never noticed that one before. Hehehe. I guess the ancient mythical equivalent of getting nailed by a stray fly-ball or puck. Hmmm, item 104 on the fix list. Amazing how people see stuff that I missed after watching this thing like about a thousand times. These guys are better than professional game-testers!
DTAIAS_Inferno Well, I'm no playtester, and I can't even do cinematics. But sometimes I design entire scenarios just for eyecandy. But about the lightning - I don't know anything about cinematics, but is every move in that battle at the end set up, or the units just in aggressive stance? Where they are could effect where the lightning goes if it is randomized.
tbarak
File Author
You touch on an interesting point. In that sequence I only directed the units to a specific area and they just do their stuff automatically. But, with the GP power you do allocate where it's invoked. If the spectators are being hit, moving the area where the gp is invoked may help. But again, due to the randomness, you're sure to have something out of whack happen now and again. Only problem with making changes in the editor, especially if you have many complex triggers, is that it's like a house of cards. One change can affect so many other things one tends to be shy about changes unless they are really in serious need of making.

[Edited on 07/02/04 @ 12:07 AM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0