Download File Post Review Post Comment

UPDATE**the War of the Ring

Author File Description
pacosgames
File Details
# of Players: 5 (P6 is comp)
Version: AoM: The Titans
NEW UPDATE NOTES:

This new update fixes the glitch previously generated upon load of the game. We also did some minor changes to reinforcements to each team. Enjoy!

Original Release Text:

It is April 3019 in the Third Age of the Sun. The One Ring has been found -- and the Ring's master Sauron has once again arisen in East. The Nine (the dreaded Nazgul) have taken to the skies and spread terror & destruction wherever they go. Sauron is amassing a dreadful army of Southrons with their enormous Oliphaunts to supplement the horde of Orcs, Trolls, Goblins he has sent to smash the remaining resistance in Gondor. Convinced that the Dark Lord will win in the end, Saruman has shifted allegiance and now prepares for open war against Rohan with his army of Uruk-Hai.

In desperation, the Wise have sent a small fellowship on a quest to take the One Ring to the only place it can be destroyed -- Mt. Doom, in the heart of a Mordor, the stronghold of Sauron. But the Fellowship is broken and scattered. Boromir is dead. Merry and Pippin have narrowly escaped into Fangorn Forest. Aragorn, Gimli & Legolas stand with Rohan in the ancient fortress of Helms Deep. Gandalf is desperately trying to find and rally the scattered & leaderless horsemen of Rohan. Frodo and Sam wander in the Emyn Muil, with no hope but to trust the treacherous Gollum to be their guide.

Lord of the Rings fans - get ready to re-enact the major battles of the War of the Ring in a single, combined, epic scenario involving all the main players in the struggle for the fate of Middle Earth.

AoM fans - get ready to experience 'the best scenario ever written' for AoM.

The map itself is based directly on Tolkien's original, and covers (roughly) an area stretching from Isengard & Helm's Deep in the west to Mordor in the east. From the north, you can follow the course of the mighty Anduin past the massive Argonath, the falls of Rauros, Cair Andros, Osgiliath, MinasTirith and finally Pelargir before it empties into the sea in the extreme south of the map. The map is true to Tolkien & rich in detail, yet optimized to minimize lag (i.e. this is not just another massive Helm's Deep lag-fest).

Months in the making and heavily tested for balance & playability, the War of the Ring can be played over and over and over again, with the outcome up for grabs each time. Although the fighting is epic in scale, it is not just a giant slug fest. With dozens of key objectives (to reflect the richness & complexity of Tolkien's world), it is possible for each of the five players -- Gondor, Rohan, the Fellowship, Isengard, Mordor -- to play the decisive role.

Visually inspired by Peter Jackson's movies but faithful to Tolkien, great care has been taken to keep everything balanced and extremely authentic. Gandalf & Aragorn are powerful, for example, but not supermen with thousands of hitpoints who can take out entire armies by themselves. Their greatest strength lies in using them to unlock other forces that can turn back the tides of darkness. Even Merry & Pippin can become major contributors by staying long enough at Entmoot to convince all the reluctant Ents to actually DO something about Saruman. And of course there is Frodo, who has the toughest but most important task of all

How to get it:
Download it here at AOM Heaven or visit http://www.gamingextremes.us and make a post at the forums. Make sure you download the two music files as well -- it really sets the mood and makes the opening cinematics worthwhile(a seperate download also available here at AOM Heaven).

Note: unfortunately, a pre-release copy has found it's way onto ESO (one of our testers just couldn't wait). This rogue copy has some bugs (and a very long opening cinematic which has been improved & shortened in the release version) To make sure you get the latest bug free copy, go to http://www.gamingextremes.us

How to play it:
DL the map, host a game, and fill slots 1-5 with human players (don’t bother using computer players – they will sit and do nothing). Slot 6 should always be a computer, as it controls the 'neutral' characters. Difficulty level does not matter, and neither does team choice (players 1, 2 & 3 are automatically put on the same team, while players 4 & 5 are put on the opposite team). God choice is important (primarily for visual purposes), but is simple to remember -- use Kronos for everyone except player 2, who should use Thor(for an optimized look, the scenario says which gods would look best).

The breathtaking opening cinematics (courtesy of our trigger & cinematics guru, pacosgames) give a summary of the most important tasks for each player, and you can always get a complete objectives list in game from the objectives banner. A guide is currently being created for War of the Ring by pacosgames (for full details, read “the Lord of the Rings” by J.R.R. Tolkien)

Enjoy!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Hikari
(id: echowinds)
Hmmm, its finally out!
pacosgames
File Author
Be sure to download the accompanying music mix found at http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3637&ci=6c249801c24a721ef6b16442bf1e9682whvrV8LjmiqX8x2TbUnOU1RWOinz2eo2KOI6G27JREdt/W90ar4YhJ5yM7EG/cdzv4gBV9tE3u5xa1sOfQBBOMNkVyevHKqe6q0FqVCt1fI15mVuCllYQmqrwm9/JBT00E0UiXQHIcmJ5j27ifglY57EEp7XBhTz8GFyaFFWlB9QfImlO9JxGrm1d3ehsKasIqFx09+UPwb+UrBenFfPGB3b4JVLUbQmGXriOfLNh3Ae6ri1Pb8av8SGnHi5Uowc

Enjoy!
M Master MORE CRUD FROM LOTR NERDS!!! PLEASE, EVERYONE, STAY AWAY FROM THIS MAN'S WORK!!!
pacosgames
File Author
Well your being a little shit head now aren't you. Maybe you should play this scenario before saying such crappy things.
Shutt94
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
The actual playability on this game was great! I have played this over and over atleast 20 times, and the outsome has not been the same once!

Balance: 4
The balance is pretty good, but unless the people in the fellowship get the riders for rohan, they're screwed. The only problem is rohan has a feww scattered riders, while isengard has a huge army that they can double just by cutting wood!

Creativity: 4
The scenario was pretty creative, although it was taken from a book.Now i would have liked something not from a book or movie, but this is still pretty creative.

Map Design: 5
The Map Was beautiful!I dont think i have ever seen such a strategic map with this much eyecandy ever before!
Story/Instructions: 5
The story was good, and the instructions were layed out very well! They were easy to figure out.

Additional Comments:This scenario was great! keep up the good work!
pacosgames
File Author
It's been a long time since the release of this map. I'm amazed anyone still plays it! Thanks for the review btw.

Also, I managed to get the glitch out of the game that causes the multi-player crash that many experienced and also shortened the intro video significantly. If anyone is interested in playing it, send me an email.

mikeaspaco@hotmail.com

I'll respond as quickly as I can(busy man as you can suspect, lol).

Take Care! I'm sao happy you enjoyed the map!
Nitro Tractor
(id: Kill Herman)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
Wow! What a very diverse LOTR scenario! the playibility is supurb because of how each player has to work together and cooperate to achieve key objectives. Every game I played had a different outcome! It is very cool to watch the key battles from the movies form on my computer screen. It is a great scenario because of all the tasks that need to be done by each player. I love how the outcome of the battles depends on the fellowship player getting a hero to rally reinforcements

Balance: 5
Like I said before, the outcome is always different. All the players seem to be evened out, not every player has huge armies to work with but they need to achieve certain objectives to gain these armies. For instance someone may think that the bad guys have a large advantage because of their larger armies, but if Gondor lights the beacons, Aragorn gets the army of the dead, and Pippen and Merry rally the ents, then the tide of the war can be turned.

Creativity: 4
Of course its based on a book, and there are many, many LoTR scenarios out there, but this scenario is very creative. Most scenarios just let you play one battle like Helms Deep. This one lets you play all the battles and even create your own. The ways that you can expand your players armies are very creative and seem to all be joined together in a way.

Map Design: 4
The map was acurate in which directions the different places were. The landscapes were very acurate and the place where the cinematic begins is very beautiful. Some of this map seems a little crammed. Osgiliath 10 feet from Mordor. Minas Tirith smack dab right next to Edoras. I suppose that due to the map size it would be impossible to acurately space out each city and place, so for the space given you nicely fitted each piece of Middle Earth. A little more eye candy in the dead marshes and Pelanor fields wouldn't hurt either.
Story/Instructions: 5
Very good. Every player know exactly what they are going to do from the start. I liked how you divide the cinematic for each player, very organised. Even if the player did not understand or remember his objectives, they are listed in the objectives. As for the story...the story IMO is already perfect even if this scenario was a piece of crap, which its not.

Additional Comments:
I realize that this scenario was released over 2 years ago but I'm a new player and this was too good of a scenario to not review. Also, lately I have been getting sync errors every single time I play it. What's wrong? Please help me out because I want to keep playing this scenario!
Kill Herman
P.S. Was this review to long? This is my first review:)
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
reviews are never too long. however, they can be too short and then get deleted.
dezza_lotr I'm glad people are still playing this :) its been a while since i've been on AoM (lost the disc, will be getting a new one soon) When we first released this it took ages to get off the ground, there were many willing participants but many didn't understand the storyline, i'm glad its got some good reviews, personally i love WOTR, but that is because i know every little detail in the map, as does pacos and Ko_in_dK ;) i'm craving for a game of this now! Okay,

Map Design, for the space available i think we did a great job, although in hindsight i agree some areas are a bit squished but all in all setting out is based upon J.R.R. Tolkien's maps.

Playability, very diverse, so many different outcomes and scenarios, we styled it so experienced players could affect the games outcome with their in depth knowledge of the game, and of lotr itself. and so the Balance is fairly even as both sides can prevent the opposing forces reinforcements, use special units, mordor or isengard can even collect the ring, and then doom to all.

okay, Kill Herman i know this is a late response to your query, "lately I have been getting sync errors every single time I play it. What's wrong?" There are a few different versions of the map circling, make sure you choose the correct one, we initially had this problem and it was due to an extra ( . or - ) in the game name... something stupid like that, lol, which was really annoying to find out after i searched through about 700 or 800 triggers looking for an error. Anyway, hope your enjoying the map ;) and hope anyone else interested in lotr gives this map at least one go

dezza_lotr
or
lotr_dezza co-creator of War of the Rings

pacos i'll have to catch up with you sometime soon, maybe a game to ;)

Chris_yamaha Very good!

[Edited on 09/11/07 @ 01:09 AM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0