New Files

Design Hints, Tips, and Tutorials » An Introduction to Modelling

Download File Post Review Post Comment

An Introduction to Modelling

Author File Description
Stephen Caines
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
This Guide was written in response to a request by EmjeR for a step by step guide to create a simple house model for AoM (see the Modding Discussion Thread). It was the most sensible request I had heard so "here it is". At 31 pages with diagrams, it is very much a step by step guide and I hope it achieves its objective of helping people create their first model. If it does I may even add to it!

The download also includes a copy of GMAXEXP.exe and the import and export scripts. If you have already installed this mod, just ignore these files.

To install create a new folder for your modelling and move the files into it. The guide is in PDF format, and require Acrobar Reader. This can be downloaded from the Internet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Master_Foozle This is a great guide! Very useful for beginners!
TBK145 If this is the same kind of 'introduction' as the introduction to modding, it must be good!
newb27
Rating
Rating: 5
This is by far the most useful guide I have ever read. Your guide to modding was really helpful just converting everything, which is really the only thing most modders have problems with. I've always wanted to make a new model, and you are my hero :D That's probably the main goal of most modders actually...

Additional Comments:
You are my new best AoMH buddy along with Donut3500 :P

One question...
Do you have to Attach all four main walls to the windows, doors, and the roof as well? Or can they be separate objects?

[Edited on 04/28/08 @ 06:19 PM]

MythicRuler This will be very helpful for early modelers who dont know where to start. Good Job again!
Stephen Caines
File Author
@newb27 - Gosh! With the walls (yes, step 15) I probably should have added a picture as this step does get a bit lost in the crowd.

MrEmjeR
(id: EmjeR)
This is an awnsome guide! very thanks Stephen Caines. i now understand how model modding works. thank you!

btw I'm not a starting modeler but a starting modder ;)

[Edited on 04/29/08 @ 03:58 AM]

hell_ruler_666 hi. im having some problems installing...mainly because im terrible with comps and all that. i dont really undertand ur readme...like some kind of import 3ds file(???) how do u do that lol? also, when i tried the Export and Save, it said "The Listener window isnt open" another thing...
-wtf is a listener window????
k I NEED HELP REALLY BAD
and...i kinda suck at modeling so ur guide would really help if i could see it lol
urs truly
hell_ruler_666
newb27 If F11 doesn't work to bring up the Listener, go to the Script tab up at the top, and let it drop down, and click MAXscript Listener or something to the effect of that... If you want to learn to mod, start out with Steven Caine's Guide to Modding. It's literally a book of knowledge, all in one place...

PS I have one more problem, I imported a model, then cloned it about seven times, and created a circle and had the clones and imported model surround the circle. I then textured the circle, and attached everything (as well as the anchor point) and exported it. But then when I Direct File Conversioned it an error came up talking about materials... What did I do wrong?

Master_Foozle Did you attach the old material back onto your model? The one you made can't stay there, aomed can't convert something that doesn't have the same texture as the model that was your base...for some reason.

Oh, and I really think someone should make a huge modelling guide, with all the advanced stuff. Not Stephen Caines, you've helped us so much already we want you to rest :D. I don't doubt you could do it though :D.

[Edited on 04/29/08 @ 04:27 PM]

Stephen Caines
File Author
@hell_ruler_666 - The guide expects a reasonable understanding of how the game hangs together and modding in general. But what I suggest is that you create a folder "My Models" and put the .zip file you downloaded in their. Extract all the files and the one you need for starters is the modelling guide. This in .pdf format so if you do not have Adobe Acrobat on you computer get it (the reader is free). Read the guide first, and if it doesn't make sense, I suggest you look at my Modding Guide, as this will help you learn about the way the game works.

@Newb27 - sounds as though the material you dragged onto the new model wasn't the same as the original - this can happen sometimes if you end with with lots of the same material (eg. MTRL 1 = fred, MTRL 2 = fred ....) or one one part of the model you accidentally dragged a lower level of the material. This is why I made such a big deal over having the Entire material limited to just the imported material and the new one. Otherwise there are just too many ways it could go wrong. I suggest you change the name of your input texture (the stretched .bmp,)go back into gmax, texture the whole model again dragging the new copy from the File System. Make sure that this is the only material associated with your model, then drag the original material. If you have multiple copies of the original material - create a new gmax file and import the original base model, and run the export script, then merge in the the model and when prompted select use scene material. This should clear it up and give a model mapped to the original material.

[Edited on 04/30/08 @ 06:11 AM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:2,044