Download File Post Review Post Comment

Cliff Jumper Minigame

Author File Description
MetalPyro876
File Details
# of Players: 6
Version: AoM: The Titans
::::::::RULES:::::::::

Your anubite has an instantly charging jump attack. Use this to jump from island to island by attacking the Krioses. Watch out for the Heka Gigantes that change islands every 30 seconds. Every 35 seconds a message will tell you which obelisk to go to (north, south, east, or west).
Whoever reaches the target obelisk before it changes gets some gold. Whoever gets 1000 gold first wins.

:::::::::TO INSTALL::::::::
Move the file to the scenario folder.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Forbiddian Didn't you post this like two days ago?
MetalPyro876
File Author
yeah, i did, but someone pointed out it should be in the multiplayer section, so I had to post it again.
PurpleWorms
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions2.0
You asked for a review, so here it is.

Playability: 3
Its OK, although I could have easily given you a two here. A playable map is a map thats fun. And a map w/o instructions, detailed map design, and skewed balance is not very fun. I happen to be biased towards anubite jumping games so I gave you a three here, an average rating.

Balance: 3
What's with 3 players starting in front of an obelisk, and 3 not? That gives 3 players a distinct starting advantage. And I'm not sure I like the idea that you can kill other players. That's really not the point of the game. If I were you I'd have given each anubite 0/0 hp and then along with a reveal map given the players random gp's (shockwave,frost etc.), to prevent each other from reaching the obelisks. Otherwise, unless a player is really dimwitted, you can usually make it to the obelisk every time. By the way, if you aren't going to enable gp's, at least use a player kill all godpowers trigger, please.

Creativity: 3
This isn't a new idea, you know. Its been done in just about every Minigames Map there is on ESO. But you must have known that, so you can't have been expecting more points here? The focus of the map (going to obelisks to get gold) and the heka gigantes that teleport randomly is enough to earn you an average creativity rating(3), but nothing more.

Map Design: 3
No terrain mixing. Unfair starting positions. What more can I say? Some grassA and some greek cliff is just about all this map was. Yes, I know that eyecandy may not be a requirement for minigames, but it sure couldn't hurt. It looks like minimal effort was put into the map design. A 3 to me is an average map design and that's what this was.

Story/Instructions: 2
Instructions? What Instructions am I rating here? This is a multiplayer map, if its played on ESO, nobody is going to see your instructions in AOMH, so its necessary to have instructions in-game. There were no objectives, no instructions, nothing. The only reason this isn't a one is the fact that you put instructions on this page, at least...

Additional Comments:
If this is your first map, it's a good start. You have a good starting position with triggers enough so that there weren't any game-killing bugs (at least from my view), and all in all it wasn't terrible. I hope you don't see this as an overly critical review, giving you all 5's would not have driven you in the right direction. I constructed this review to be honest to potential downloaders, and give fair criticism to you, the maker.

[Edited on 06/23/08 @ 10:41 AM]

Terminator_Ace
Rating
Breakdown
Playability1.0
Balance2.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 1

I'm sorry but it's just simply HARD to have fun on this map, and I'm constantly finding myself fighting with the Anubite about where to go (once you decide to move that is). The main problem here is that as soon as a rival Anubite shows up in your LOS, your Anubite will attack it, and in most cases you want it to go somewhere else, and if that Anubite remains where it is, then your Anubite will either refuse to budge, or if you're trying to make him jump to another target, he'll jump to and from the Anubite and your other target. Often this means that the other player's Anubite won't go anywhere as it's hard to attack something that's jumping about wildly, backwards and forwards. Often I find my Anubite stuck in difficult and thin terrain, even when it's just attacking a Krios that decides not to budge.

Another problem is the Krios, sometimes they refuse to budge, and your Anubite also refuses to do so, thus making you stuck. And when the Krios don't stand about, sometimes your Anubite might attack them an extra time, if you're not fast enough to move it away and this causes Krios to retreat, more often than not away from the position that you need him to be in, meaning that's one place you can no longer jump from. If you edit this map, or make another, you should take a page out of other Anubite Jumping games and use statues.

Finally, another problem is that if a player uses Zeus, there's a VERY unfair advantage in that they can just bolt an Anubite, thus meaning that their game is over as a result of one GP. One player had a very bad time once, as I remained at my Obelisk that I started at, waiting for someone to come so that I could bolt them, and the red player turned up, the Anubite instinctively jumped mine, and the player tried to move it away to the nearby Krios, ending up with it stuck leaping from my Anubite to the Krios, untill of course I bolted it.

It was then that everyone else resigned. I looked at the bolts, and it would appear that since everyone was Zeus, in a chain of events they bolted each other untill I was the only one remaining.

Balance: 2

As highlighted by the other reviewer, it is unfair that some players start with Obelisks and can remain there, bolting the first person to challenge them (or could shockwave with the Oranos GP, giving them an advantage which they could use to flat out kill them) and also earning gold as they do remain there. It is also unfair the starting GPs like Bolt and Shockwave are avaliable from the start, as that completely tips any balance. Anubites should also have infinite health.

Creativity: 3

While the Anubite Jumping idea is rather cliched, it can always work well, and I liked the idea of having to gather gold instead of simply reaching the finish, though it was let down by the starting positions. You ought to put them all on an island in the middle, say where they need to go, with statues nearby to jump off of. I also think that the Heka Gigante random placement is a decent idea that should be explored, should you make an updated version.

Map Design: 2

There is nothing really in the way of eye candy, you don't exactly need it for this kind of minigame, but at least mixing up the terrain would make it interesting. You should make different terrain in every corner, one a desert, another snowy, that kind of idea. Also, I think that the cliffs are a bit too narrow, I got stuck a lot of the time. And of course, the starting places and Krios...

Story/Instructions: 2

There are no instructions anywhere, anyone who just sees the game hosted and joins will find that the idea is to just go to whatever obelisk untill the end of time. If you can't make a cinematic, at least make the objective of the game clear. As already mentioned, not everyone will download it from AoM Heaven.

Additional Comments:

There are some good ideas here, and I apologise for the tough score, but the map is simply hard to play, and harder to have fun while doing so. In my opinion, it's really rather unfinished. But I can see what you're going for, and with some good improvements, as mentioned, another version could see it's score rocket up.
MetalPyro876
File Author
Thamks for the reviews! I realised it was not going to go so good because its my first multiplayer map and first actual published scenario. After my RPG (which hopefully is better), I will definately make an updated version with better triggers, no random attacking another anubite, and maybe some GP's. As for the shockwave ideas, if someone used a shockwave, it would knock an anubite off the map and they wouldn't be able to get back up. But I will definately try to work out teh kinks ;)

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance2.5
Creativity3.0