New Files

Design Hints, Tips, and Tutorials » A Guide To Creating Custom Triggers

Download File Post Review Post Comment

A Guide To Creating Custom Triggers

Author File Description
Baseballkid14
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
Although it says for AoM: The Titans, the same rules apply in AoM and I made sure that all you can learn in both games.

This file contains a 25-page tutorial teaching you the basics (and some advanced stuff) of making your own triggers. You can then use the triggers you created in your scenarios and they will work online! It will teach you how to script triggers even if your not familiar with xml or are technology challenged. So have no fear, this guide will teach you everything you need to know.

If there is a part of the tutorial that is hard to understand, just notify me and if that same problem comes up a few times, I will update the file. Each page in the 25-page tutorial goes in-depth and gives examples so you should never be lost. If you have a question that isn't included, I will be more than happy to answer it.

This trigger (conditions and effects) guide was created by Baseballkid14 and proof-read by nottud! I'd like to give a special thanks to nottud for taking the time to make sure this guide is quality enough for anyone to read. I hope you all enjoy this guide and maybe you'll become even more advanced triggerer than me!

Also, be sure to check out my one, my only... Trigger Pack!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Dojo9999 I feel really noobish right now but um how do I read a PDF file?
TartarianCerberus
(id: Cerberus_001)
With Adobe Reader. You can get it free from adobe.com
Baseballkid14
File Author
what he said, after you downloaded it, just double click... btw - plz rate and review and have fun!
Dope Hey this might help with the boss battle competition if I can read it all in time. Anyway seems good for now and I'll review based on what I've learned when I read it all.
Baseballkid14
File Author
Ooops, I forogot to add the page nmbers in the contents, I will fix that tonight when you (everyoen who as dled)should re - dl

FILE UPDATED

[Edited on 06/17/08 @ 02:49 PM]

Koltedkead I can't view it, when I try to open it it just opens as notepad and I get the compiled weird symbols. What program should I run it with?
Baseballkid14
File Author
Adobe Reader, do you have that installed on your comp?
Koltedkead Actually, I don't think I do. I recently reinstalled Windows (files were corrupted), so that's probably why I don't have it and hence can't view it. Thanks, though.
Baseballkid14
File Author
I also have it in .docx format if you want that...
Mythic_Freak
Rating
Rating: 4
Very nice, this will certaily help new scripters to learn the basics. Something like this was really needed!

The guide covers most of the basics, though not all is said. I think it's comprehensible for people who never programmed anything before.

Additional Comments:
In the section about the tools, you suggest notepad as a good editor to work with. But notepad is a very basic program that doesn't give much support when it comes to coding. You could link to some other applications too (notepad++, emeditor, ...).

Almost all the codes in your guide are indicated with a different font, to seperate them from the text. However, I think it would help a lot if you used a monospace font (courier new for example) for them. I wouldn't put them in italics either, it makes your || look like //.

You tried to put everything in sections as good as possible, but it somehow seems a bit messy to me. Personally, I would create a seperate chapter to teach people the basics of the xs syntax, and in another chapter include the information they learned there to teach them triggers. That way you can specify certain things far more clear. An expression tag would be nothing more then a boolean expression, and the AND, OR and NOT operators could have been explained in their proper context.

This line of code confused me: "The NOT command returns true if anything but the expression(s) is true." The not operator is ! and is not supported by AoM. You're probably talking about != which returns true if the 2 parts are not equal.

I know you only learned the xs syntax by making triggers, so for you this approach may have worked best though.

Another suggestion: if you include a code to illustrate some error, you might want to consider putting that code in red.

There is a section where you sum up some trigger commands, but I don't see the purpose of that list as you have seemed to just include some random ones. Try to include a full list, or even better, link them to a place where they can find all commands. (I'll probably post my AoM API here soon.)

A little error: you mistyped the "triggertemp.xs" file in some places (i.e. page 16). You also said it holds the code for a scenario called ~testing, but it just holds the trigger code for the last activated scenario, menu background or random map.

Your description of a CDATA section was rather vague and perhaps even incorrect. Maybe take a look at the definition at the w3schools site.

And lastly, if you include page numbers in the table of contents, you should add page numbers to the pages themselves.

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:1,298
Favorites: [Who?]0