AnnoDominius Presents: The Unfinished Anthology

Author File Description
pharoh_elite
File Details
Style: Mix
# of Scenarios: 9
Version: AoM: The Titans

THE UNFINISHED ANTHOLOGY

To celebrate my five years of designing for AOM I have decided to release all my unfinished, partially finished or hardly completed at all, projects.

It gives me an opportunity to finally say 'that's it' with some of my ideas which is a great weight off of my saved scenarios folder. It also hopefully gives the community and opportunity to look into how my work has progressed, to see some never before seen work, and also allow some designers, with permission, to continue with some of the ideas if they wish.

Please bear in mind when downloading these scenarios that none of them are wholely complete. I welcome your reviews and comments but please take this into consideration when doing so. Also take into account that some of these were designed 5 years ago so we didn't have the innovation or utilities that we have now.

Most of all, I hope you get the same enjoyment looking through them as i did thinking and creating them.

TITLE: Final Fantasy X
YEAR: 2003
COMPLETION: approx. 15%
TYPE: RPG

DESCRIPTION:
Follow the path of Tidus as he tried to find his way home to Zanarkand. After a brief and destastating encounter with an almighty entity called Sin, Tidus is washed ashore on a desolate beach and soon discovers he is 1000 years in the future.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
This was really my first fully fledged attempt at scenario design for AOM. Having been originally an avid online player, I was enraged by the poor quality of the Final Fantasy RPGs. So when my online fling came to an end I decided to set about creating a single player version of the popular Final Fantasy X game. Looking back I m laugh at how inexperienced I was at the time, please forgive the use of chickens as cinematic blocks, i was yet to be introduced to such advanced techniques ;-)

ADDITIONAL MATERIAL:

• Screenshot 01
  • Screenshot 02
  • Screenshot 03

• Sample Walkthrough

TITLE: The Academy - Regal Conspiracy
    YEAR: 2004
    COMPLETION: approx. 50%

DESCRIPTION:
    The the central region of the planet lies an empire beholding the greatest myths and legands known to man. The most prodominant of these is the tale of Empress Luzia - monarch of the empire of Anoxia. Her influence streched the borders of the empire beyond that which had every been recorded in history, spanning from the top most mountains of Sval, down bassed the plains of Battle Bay and on through the scorching deserts of Kumbae. A myriad of cultures and races covered each tip, dwarves to giants and humans to the ancient race of elves. But all but the Empress herself lie in submission to a greater power, a power so great it had been declared obsolete from common law. They called this power the Academy.

You can find out more HERE

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
    It's a shame that this scenario never materialised. It had such potentially and included features that even today I look back on and say: "wow, did i really do that", most notably the interactive speech with the reception. Unfortunately, my brain got too big for my boots or map or skull - i never did well at biology - and I was unable to restrain myself to making the scenario bigger than it could manage and so, alas, it had joined the Unfinished Anthology.

ADDITIONAL MATERIAL:

• None

TITLE: Pirates & Merchants
    YEAR: 2004
    COMPLETION: Less than 10%
    TYPE: Multiplayer

DESCRIPTION:
    Ahoy,

It's time to break tradition and prepare for a new generation of scnenario design. Pirates & Merchants will be played at sea and will defy all other water-based scenarios by out-besting even the land-based ones. You can play as one of three forces in this multi-player map: The Devious Pirates, The Dedicated Royal Fleet or the Deprived Merchant Sailors. Each with its own advantages and disadvantages players will recieve different goals to achieve greatness.

The storyline is based on the real legendary pirate "Captain Kidd" and his buried treasure upon Isla de la Muerte. Although obtaining these grand riches will not necessarily make the player emerge victorious it will provide him/her with a great advantage.

The winning conditions will be as follows:

Merchants: Attain a set level of gold. Although this will be a very high level there are ways in which a player can soar finacially. They will have to complete missions from Port Governors and other indipendant residence as well as play the stock market and take the risks any successful merchant must take to achieve their aspirations.

Pirates: The Pirates also have a gold level that must be reached but this is a lot lower than the Merchants' as they must also elimiante all the Merchant players. They must walk on the wild side and try to challenge the Royal Fleet (however impossible this may seem).

Royal Fleet: This large force of ships must reach its objectives by ridding the caribbean seas of every single Pirate that ever set foot on a ship. This can be easy or hard depending on how well the Pirates themselves are doing. They can set up outposts and demand gold supplies from the Merchant players as well as many other special features only available to these elite players.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
    Really, the failure of this scenario was once again my inability to think small. If i'd announced this as a single-player scenario and really got into it I have no doubt it would have been released. However, I had never worked on multiplayer before and i kept hitting obsticle after obsticle in the editor that in the end made progress on this great concept cease...

ADDITIONAL MATERIAL:

• Screenshot 01
  • Screenshot 02

• Cinematic Prologue

[/b]

TITLE: Gladiator - Enter The Colliseum
    YEAR: 2006
    COMPLETION: approx. 20%

DESCRIPTION:
    Enslaved by conquering Romans, you have been picked for your strength to compete for entertainment in the capitals newly built circular arena. Fight your way through victory after victory to gain your freedom and be declared the ultimate GLADIATOR...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
    Visualy, Gladiator is one of my proudest achievements. I feel I had found my style and first implemented it creating this scenario. I wish I had the time to revisit this as in essence it wouldn't be to difficult to create and could be highly playable... but that's designing for you.

ADDITONAL MATERIAL:

• None

TITLE: SCIPIO - The Series
    YEAR: 2006
    COMPLETION: Approx 20% (of episode one)
    TYPE: Cinematic Series

DESCRIPTION:
    Scipio, 238 BC. Rome faces War for a second time and Carthage, as a formidable enemy, stand in her path. Rome must fight well in order to defeat the great general Hannibal, who, by some act of the gods, managed to march his elephant army over the alps and into Italy. And who better to lead such a war than the acclaimed man who fought so well in Iberia: Scipio Africanus.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
    I know i've said this often but I wish I could go back to this, moreover I wish I had a team of designers to run and help produce this because in theory it was a great idea, especially now with all the recent Roman mods. This scenario marked the start of my Roman-based concepts of scenarios which has continued to this very day.

ADDITONAL MATERIAL:

• FIND OUT MORE HERE

TITLE: SPQR
    YEAR: 2007
    COMPLETION: Less than 15%

DESCRIPTION:
    See ROME: 78 B.C thread

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
    Ah! see now we get a bit more interesting. SPQR was ROME 78 BC's base concept and predecessor. The key difference was that the SPQR you could choose between one of 14 Roman families to play as. The idea was scrapped as the 14 family system was far too complicated and would have taken several years to complete. I love designing but not that much. This scenario is still worth a look though, it has one of my favourite openings to a scenario i've created to date...

ADDITONAL MATERIAL:

• Sample Manual

• Forum

TITLE: The Eragon Project - Prologue: Shade of Fear
    COMPLETION: approx. 25%
    TYPE: Cinematic

DESCRIPTION:
    When Eragon finds a mysterious rock in a clearing in the Spine, little does he know that that rock will soon whisk him off his feet into a world he could never have imagined...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
    I sincerely regret how much i let the Eragon Project team down, I joined at the wrong time for me and took leadership when i shouldn't. Life got on top of me and then when i returned i'd lost the spark for it. So I am sorry but here we are all the same, enjoy what little I have to offer of this once great project...

ADDITONAL MATERIAL:

• None

TITLE: Cassius Belli - A Darkness At Armenium
    COMPLETION: Less than 5%

DESCRIPTION:
    Centurion Dalius is making his way back to ROME to warn the Senate of the Gallic betrayal. However, he is waylaid at Armenium and uncovers a corruption that goes all the way to the consul himself...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
    This scenario doesn't really fall into the same category as the others as it's more of a deliberately abandoned project than an unfinished one. The cassius belli series recieved less interested than I would have hoped - and in all honesty looking back I rushed the first one. So because of the lack of interest on both my and the communities behalf what little there is of this map makes it into the Anthology...

ADDITIONAL MATERIAL:

• SCENARIO: Gallic Betrayal
  • CINEMATIC: Message & Corruption

TITLE: Untitled
    YEAR: 2008
    COMPLETION: Unknown

DESCRIPTION:
    After a freak wave leaves them shipwrecked on an island, Marcus and Auris begin their adventure that will reveal that Marcus is more than just any boy, he is the future of the world as he knows it...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
    This was a very recent idea which I could, if time permitted, create into a fantastic linear RPG. Alas, ROME 78BC is something which takes up a little bit more than a small amount of my time and it's better off here than floating around my scenario folder.

ADDITIONAL MATERIAL:

• None

So there you have it. 5 years of design in one bundle. Each file contains messages addressed from the Anthology perspective. Check the spotlight of each file for additional info.

The download also includes an application form. If you wish to continue constructing one or more of these scenario, please use this form and send it to the address stated.

Please feel free to leave your comments and reviews and wish me a happy 5th anniversary...
  • Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
    AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
    PrplPplEater Hey, first download!

It's a shame that all of these projects were never finished. So many great ideas.. Good luck to anyone who intends to complete any of the works. :D
    JDmino Huge file! I am downloading right now. I like the ideas.
    pharoh_elite
    File Author
    thanks :) hope you enjoy them, look forward to any feedback you have.
    JDmino Hey do you mind if I use your gladiator Idea/scenario, I just had a brainwave!
    pharoh_elite
    File Author
    Sure! Just send the request form to me so I can confirm it officially. :)
    Elder_Ulsfark Happy 5th anniversary; it's too bad that all these wonderful projects were never finished, (especially one of them...) but just the fact that you came up with and started on all these great ideas is an impressive achievement on its own.

I honestly hope that at least some of these find a new "home" and live through to completion. In any case, again, congrats on all of these, and I hope that you will have many more projects/ideas to finish, because in my opinion you are one of AoMH's most productive and creative designers. :)

p.s. I didn't quite understand what you meant with the reason the Academy was never finished; imo it was the best of them.
    LDRWarlock Playability: 3

Balance: 4

Creativity: 5

Map Design: 5

Story/Instructions: 5

These are one of the best maps I ever seen

and when are you going to finish these maps?

[Edited on 08/20/09 @ 02:05 PM]

Yeebaagooon
    Staff
    Your review has been deleted because it does not comply with the review guidelines. Please read them.

http://aom.heavengames.com/reviewguide

:)
    Shukan maan all this is pure gold! you have a excelente imagination and talent,so sad you never finish then:'c
    rakovsky
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability4.0
    Balance5.0
    Creativity5.0
    Map Design5.0
    Story/Instructions3.0
    I am basing this review on two Scenarios that I played here: "Gladiator - Enter The Colliseum" and "SPQR."

Playability: 4
    The Scenarios did work, albeit in their incomplete form. The Gladiator music plays nicely in the opening and continues. But the music for SPQR did not play, and I take it that the music was not yet set up to play. I see that there are a lot of triggers for that Scenario, but they are not set up so that in practice when you play the scenario the triggers (like a sound trigger) will go off. Ideally, the Designer would have had the SPQR music playing or at least a note about its music not being set up yet if that is the case.

To install the sound, put the Custom Sound folder from the Zip in your Sound folder in your AOM Directory. I did that with both of these two scenarios, so that there was a Gladiator folder and a SPQR folder each with their own music file.

Balance: 5
    Balance was not an issue because there was not anyone who you are set to fight in those two missions, as the mission is incomplete. In the Gladiator mission, you have the light blue player's Hero as your enemy, but she is overwhelmingly stronger than your medusa. But she won't bother you either unless you try to get near her.

Creativity: 5
    The Creativity and map design was where these scenarios excelled. They were Beautiful.

In the Gladiator Scenario, the demon Statues on the outside entrance wall were creepy, but otherwise the entrance way to the Colosseum was neat in that it had giant doors- a giant open entrance to go in, as well as a wooden gate on the inside where animals or gladiators would enter the ring. The villagers doing things like moving crates was neat too in that Scenario. And I like how the music was coordinated with the scenario.

Map Design: 5
    See above. The SPQR scenario looked neat too, although it seemed more of a rocky or maybe even cavelike map in its atmosphere, with lots of sharp elevation changes or cliffs. This is different than how I would imagine ancient Rome, which I would guess had more of a rolling or sloping geography. That is kind of nitpicking though. Basically, ideally what I would have expected SPQR to have aimed for would be a map of ancient Rome.

Story/Instructions: 3
    This I see as the biggest or primary area for improvement. I was left guessing what the designer intended as the general game situation in each scenario. In the Gladiator Scenario, your unit is a Medusa and there is a red Medusa also, so in that case it would not be a historical scenario. The description doesn't say that it's historical. However, the music is from the movie Gladiator, which is a kind of fiction-based-on-fact movie that would have occurred in 180 AD.

I get that the Designer ended his work with it only partly complete, but I think that laying out what he was planning in terms of the story would have been the first step.

Additional Comments:
    The map design for the Gladiator setting was very pretty. There is a kind of odd situation with the SPQR scenario where when you use the victory cheat, it says Victory, but to leave the scenario, you still have to click Resign, which gives you a message that you were defeated.

[Edited on 11/13/20 @ 01:58 AM]

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
    Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
    Forgot password?
    Rating
    Breakdown
    Playability4.0