New Files

Random Map Scripts » ~A Cold Land~

Download File Post Review Post Comment

~A Cold Land~

Author File Description
Swift sword
File Details
Version: AoM
This is a random Map Script in which you must build up your base in a very defendable location and navigate through cliffs and forests to find and defeat your foes. There are other settlements throughout the map, and other interesting things like:

Two Fortresses Find two settlements in the center of the map that are easy to defend. However, there's not a lot of extra resources in that area, so you must be prepared to simply make it a military base, due to it also being a small area. You can make good use of the extra population it gives, and it is far better than the other settlements due to the small area it spans.

Little Hunting There are a few huntables near your starting position, but not much else other than near settlements. You may have to farm alot in the cold Northlands, although you are welcome to explore to find the elk avaliable

Rich Land Although low in hunting, you should find plenty of gold. That doesn't mean you should waste it, however. It's also quite easy to get raided, because many of the gold mines are in the center or close to it.

Dry No water is present on the map. It's frozen over, so no naval wars or fishing to exploit. Sorry about this, but it would ruin the food aspect.

Thick Forests There's plenty of wood spread around the map, but it may become a curse as well as a blessing as it blocks your progress through the cliff passings. Most of the forests are very large.

Only 8 Players! Don't host anymore than 8, or you'll have an angry player or two who didn't get a towncenter!

Although it may seem like this map is focused on defense, don't be fooled. Most of the settlements are close to the middle of the map, along with what little hunting can be found. You also won't find many relics unless you explore extensively. The center of the map may become a slugfest due to the powerful defense position it commands, and the two towncenters. A person could hole themselves there and last against far superior numbers, because it's a small area but big enough for buildings like fortresses. The map also features the best eyecandy I could manage, with rocks, bushes, trees, and rotten logs found a little bit. There is also a few different terrains present.

Have fun waging war with your friends in this cold land of the north!

Updates Thus far: Added bunch of embellishments, fixed problems stated in the thread, added resources, and removed a few gold mines for balancing. Also tidied up this post, making it look much more organized :D.
Another update: Based on Rjs23's review, basically did everything he suggested. Now 8 players, more eyecandy (still not beautiful, but god the rxs file is looking full...
Also, several balancing issues mentioned are now fixed. Thank you for your patience in redownloading, just trying to make this perfect XD
http://img338.imageshack.us/i/acoldlandscreenie.png/
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rjs23 This map is decently balance but Egyptian civilization players would have hard time to win because they lack towers around their base. They rely on their defense.

There is a bug in the map. When you start the game as blue, you would see elks around your base that are really under your control, like for example, its like they are sheep but they are elk and you can move them around but you're not supposed to. Anyways, other players can not do that because they do not have elks under their control.

The amount of food the map has is rare so dont make too many villager in first age otherise you wont be able to make farm (except Eggy civilizations)that are available in second age and above. You can run out of food if you do not advance fast enough.

Suggestions:
1. As a eggy player: We would like to see tower around the base next version.
2. Add relics around the map. Those can add interesting game play to the map.
3. Fix the elk that are under blue's player control. (by editing changing the ownership to 0 in Map Layout -> Edit tile)

Edit: I notice it says "For Age of mythology: The Titan"

It's wrong, it works in both version.

[Edited on 02/28/09 @ 11:07 AM]

Swift sword
File Author
Thanks for the comment, the elk is because the first time I playtested blue's settlement wasi n gaia control, so I ereased the settlement, re put as blue, and forgot to change to gaia for elk.
I'll put towers :) Didn't think much about that part. Forgot how eggy likes defense, norse would pwn way to much on this map, and I guess ouranos would be a little to powerful because he can claim that settlement in middle...however, he's not to over powered because there's not many resources there.
Swift sword
File Author
Updated, and RJS is right, it works for both games, just there's no both option. I hanged game to AoM, but it works for both, don't worry.
Swift sword
File Author
Comment and reviews appreciated

[Edited on 05/30/09 @ 10:43 PM]

Milkman Matty
(id: Khan And Steak)
I'm always so happy when a new RMS comes out. I don't mean to be derogative to XS Gen, but it's just not the same with XS Gen coding (I can't read it D: ) ~ Khan
Swift sword
File Author
I've actually looked into the Coding of the normal AoM RMs, and you're right it's different, but I don't have the time to learn to code. I'm hard pressed some nights to get enough time to play AoM for an hour even. Still, hope you liked it Khan&Steak.
Off-topic- Looking forward to you guys "Upholding the review guidelines" in Ripto. Looked hilarious in the pic :P
MetallicThor
Rating
Rating: 3.5
Strategically, this map is pretty good I must say. I personally liked how the focus was on the center of the map which promotes more aggressive fights. You placed more animals and settlements in the center. The way the cliffs protect every player is also a nice touch. The thing that I disliked was the shape of the cliffs which looked kind of dull as they weren't very curved and had no change in elevation at all. I believe the map would have been much better if the trees were more spread around and grouped up into small forests, not big ones. I know the map is called Cold Land but that doesn't mean you can't use different textures alongside ice. There are many textures in AOM that portray a cold environment, not just one.

Additional Comments:
Good work for your second map. Make more and I'll be sure to rate them.
PhotoHound
Rating
Rating: 4
Ditto pretty much everything that MetallicThor and rjs23 have said. Needs more resources. I don't mean a whole lot, but definitely some more. Relics too. I did like the defense that the cliffs added around the starting town center.

Additional Comments:
Sorry, I didn't like this map a whole lot...
Swift sword
File Author
Thanks for the rating. Probably shouldve been lower (just for sights sake) This map is a little old at this point. Ill try to keep the things you all said in mind for future maps.

Edit: Pretty big update, added quite a bit of embellishment, snow B (couldn't find a better terrain! Would forest floors + river terrains work well? Much easier to eyecandy in the editor...) and added resources so people don't get killed early on because of to little food. Oh, and also a few smaller forests.
And wow, the exact same date I uploaded this 0.0 27th
Edit: Hopefully the last update, the maps beginning to look full. Added a bunch of embellishments, terrain (ice, snowB, etc.) and removed some gold mines. Happy hunting!

[Edited on 09/27/09 @ 12:34 PM]

rjs23
Rating
*UPDATED* 10/6/2009
Rating: 4
Gameplay/fun: This is a fun, basic supremacy map. You win this by conquering your opponent or win by wonder. This is my favorite type of game play. Nothing really new here in my opinion. Update: the map is a little bit better, but still nothing major new. 4.5 out of 5 from 4 out of five.

Balance: According to the new updates, the map's balanceness is much, much better now. So far, there is nothing in the map that make this map unbalanced or flaw. It is 5 out of 5. It was 3 out of 5 because of many unbalanceness in previous version.

Eyecandy: With the most recent updater, I can see that this map has more animal variety to hunt with for villagers. All the terrains are filled with mixture of snows, ices, and cliffs. It fits well with terrain’s theme overall. I am bit pleased with the progress overall so 5 out of 5. Oh btw, keep your eye on your villager's hp when you're hunting out in the map. it was 3 out of 5

Capability: Recent update now allow you to play up to 8 players maximum. It was previously 6 players maximum. I played it on both AoM and AoMTT so it worked fine on vanilla and chocolate versions.
Overall score: 4.5 out of 5. It was 3.5 out of five.

Additional Comments:
I have updated my review. You have so far update everything based on our review. Just add more player and keep the map balanced and u'll get my perfect score.

Total score: 4.75. (rounded to 5). Not the perfect score but nearly perfect.

[Edited on 10/06/09 @ 06:00 PM]

Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:2,529