Utility Programs » RMS Creator 2.0.1

Download File Post Review Post Comment

RMS Creator 2.0.1

Author File Description
Hermes_D RMS Creator 2.0.1

A utility that allows you to create Random Maps without knowing XS

You can see a screenshot here:
http://dirbaio.freehostia.com/rmsc-screen1.png

Important notice: This program is a beta version. This means that it is still unfinished and may have bugs (errors). If you find an error, or something that should work that doesn't work, please add a comment here describing it.

IMPORTANT: the Duplicate button does not work well. DO NOT USE it or it will corrupt your maps.

This program is a Random Map Script designer. You can use it without knowing anything about XS. All you have to do is to tell what areas and objects your map will have. It will generate the XS script automatically so you can play it immediatly without having to write XS scripts.

You can do with it nearly anything you could do with XS. Only a few features, such as connections, fair locs and triggers are still unsupported. I plan to implement them later in the future.

Important: You need Java to run this program. If you haven't installed it yet, download it Here

Why use this program?
The main difference between this program and other RMS generators is that with this one the shape of the map is different each time. With the other RMS generators, you PAINT land, so it will have always the same shape. In some generators, even the OBJECTS are placed at the same place, because they have been placed by hand. Also some generators make the maps look weird, like "blocky" edges. This one doesn't because it generates the areas using the standard XS commands, not by painting.

Features:
* Supports land, cliff, forest and water areas.
* Supports any kind of objects
* You can select terrains and objects from a list
* Supports constraints
* Supports changing player placement
* Supports Classes, useful for adding constraints to several objects at a time.
* Supports different object placements
* Generates both XS and XML files correctly
* Generates a clean and easy to undestand XS file, so it can be easily hand-edited.
* Generates and copies the map with one click, so testing is easy
* Can send generated maps through FTP (File Transfer Protocol) automatically. This can be used to run AOM on one computer and RMS Creator in other, and test maps with one click without having to copy anything.
* Easy to use interface
* Cross platform (works in any operating system such as Windows and Mac, thanks to Java's portability)
* Easy installation: just unzip and open

Features I plan to implement in the future
* Fair locs (most important of all)
* Connection areas
* A visual editor for the maps, where you can see how are all areas and objects placed
* Help. Maybe a longer description/explanation for each property, or a manual...
* Translations. I will do English, Spanish, French and Catalan. If somebody wants to translate to other languages, please contact me. I'll be glad to include your translations.

* (maybe?) Triggers
* (maybe?) Import an existing Random Map (XS file) not made by RMS Creator and edit it.

Instructions to run
Download the file, and unzip it.
Double-click the RMSCreator.jar file. It should open with Java
If it doesn't, right-click the file, and select Open with > Java

How to use
You can create a map by creating areas and objects. You can add new ones by clicking on the buttons on the toolbar. Then select them from the left list, and change their properties.

* Classes: A class is a set of objects and areas. When you add something to a class, all the class' constraints will apply to it.
* Areas: An area is a single area on the map, for example ONE sea at the center. You can set its position, or set the position to -1 to have it placed randomly.
* Area sets: Multiple similar areas, for example all the forests that are around the map. They are more than one, but they are all equal.
* Objects: An object on the map. Please note that one object can be multiple units on the map. Objects are arranged in groups (clusters). You can specify how many objects are in a cluster and how disperse it is. Then the placement determines how many and where groups are placed.

Important: You need Java to run this program. If you haven't installed it yet, download it Here

Changelog:
2.0: First release
2.0.1:
-Added a splash screen
-Fixed some bugs with duplicating
-Fixed the whitespace appearing after terrain names
-Added support for Fair Locs (finally!)
-Added full cliff support (ramps and edges fully customisable)
-Added descriptions of properties
-Some fixes on the interface
-Added a template map

Please comment and rate. Tell me any errors, suggestions, improvements you like.
I hope this program will be useful to you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Guard of Olympus Nice! I'll maybe download.
Hermes_D
File Author
Thanks. Please tell me what you think, so I can improve :D
Alison
(id: Alyssea)
I used the first one a lot. It was one of the best. The painting ones...didn't do it for me.

I shall try this. Good job!
Guard of Olympus I'll try it out and parhaps review...
Green_Turtle Amazing job! I found this much easier to use than other map makers because it worked with my version of java, windows, and internet browser, ect. It's definantly the tool I'll use to make maps from now on. ;)

Keep up the amazing work!
xEXOLARx hmm im confused... how u use this
Hermes_D
File Author
To create a map, you have to create its areas and objects. You can create an area, and then set its properties, like size, terrain, etc. Same with objects.

Then you generate the map and play it in AOM.
Hermes_D
File Author
I have just updated it to version 2.0.1. See the changelog for details.

Please tell me what you think!
rjs23 Beautiful splash screen.

It's better now. At least now it lets me know why it has fail to generate.
Hermes_D
File Author
I have made another update. this fixes a bug with fair locs, that it placed 1 per player no matter what you put in the counts.

I am going for two weeks to a camping, so I will not be here.

Enjoy!
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:1,783