Aden the Druid

Author File Description
somerandomdude
File Details
Style: Mix
# of Scenarios: 9 and 2 cinematics
Version: AoM: The Titans
Somerandomdude presents:

This is a brief intro to my Campaign(It's kinda a RPG type thing)...

Story:
After his Master’s murder at the hands of the evil Shadow Lord, Aden journeys to the Druids’ Council located at the Crossroad of the Realms, seeking refuge from the evil that killed his master.

The Druids’ Council explains that the Shadow Lord has escaped from the mountain in which he was imprisoned and seeks a bloody revenge upon the Order of the Druid. He has gathered a group of corrupt druids, luring them from the Order with promises of power. He calls this group the Shadow Circle, his primary means of wreaking havok upon the world. However, the members of the Shadow Circle never quit the Order, but pretend to be a part of the Order, whilst spying for the Shadow Circle. Grouped with his most trusted comrades, the Shadowed Ones, he plots his notorious plans. The downfall of the Druids is at hand. Among the many Druids trying to stop this, the gifted Druid, Aden must use all his skill to stop this, or lose everything...

Anyway, this is my first upload (apart from the Demo) to AoMH and I'm quite confident that this is going to be a very different and (hopefully) enjoyable Campaign. Please at least post a comment weather you liked it or not, I need to know where I went wrong and how to improve it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this and let me know what you think.

Features:

-New and imroved map design.
-Four difficulty levels.
-Exciting storyline.
-Mini-games
-And more...

Screenshots:

Aden the Druid in a sacred Druidic forrest.

Aden demonstrates his magical powers fighting against an Argus.

Aden is ambushed by the spirits of the dead in The Caves of the Dead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Swift sword Great! Going to play and review ;)
Edit: Well, it was...alright. Instead of reviewing, I'm going to give you some things I noticed- I've gotten through the first and part of the second.

First scenario:

Did you change the first scn since the demo? I didn't notice it...I couldn't even complete the scenario because of an unwalkable terrain at the end of the maze. I also had the same clicking-complete scenario error I had before. Besides that, there was one area of absolutely no eyecandy and it was still a bit tough on the blancing, although the heal made it better. The only difference I noticed was the heal at low hitpoints, which was useful and well implemented. The story & instructions would've gotten a 2, the balance a 3, the playability a 3, the creativity a 3 or 4 and the map design a 3. (2.5 rounded up)
Overall rating: 3.0

Second scenario:

The eyecandy seemed a bit better in this one, although the terrain and embellishing was still a bit empty. It seemed pretty balanced although I never reached the fire giants. However, the story seriously needed some development at this point. I mean, I come across some random SoO and kill him, use the wolves to help me kill some random "ignorant humans" and was supposed to find evidence of something. I'd missed some of whatever story you put in at the end of scn. 1 (if there was some) and had no idea what was going on. The instructions were also pretty bad, they told you how to do one of the objectives but said nothing about the humans (who I took out first) All of these problems cause story issues and playability issues, so you would've gotten a 2 for story and playability probably.
The balance was...odd. When taking out the humans it took forever to take out a building, and the enemy at just this part was tough. I don't know if I would've been able to complete it. You probably would've gotten a 3 here.
The map design was positive and negative at times. The mountain was well-designed although it didn't look entirely like a mountain. The terrain here was good too. However, there were few rocks/sprites here and at other areas there was far to little terrain mixing and embellishments for my taste. Probably a 3 here.
Creativity...You're hurt by a lack of triggering and story development and some better creative embellishment use. Probably a 3 here at best.
Overall rating: 2.8

Sorry if that was negative, I'm just pointing out the bad parts of the two scenarios I've played thus far. I'll play em' all and give you a proper review including them all as a whole, just giving you a feeling of how it is so far. I know it sounds bad, but every designer starts slow. You're doing a lot better than many. Also, although the first scn got a slightly higher rating, I felt the second was getting slightly better. You're improving, so keep it up!

[Edited on 11/12/09 @ 11:20 PM]

somerandomdude
File Author
Thanks heaps! I know there were only minor changes to the 1st scn, but with the objectives I had put the objectives in but there was probly some trigger problem because the objectives wouldn't show. Yeah, with the second scn, I understand if you didn't really understand the storyline, the 2nd and 3rd scns are mainly just fill-in scns, but are somewhat important in the story for some odd reason. As you continue, the scns should get either better or worse, probly better though. After the 3rd scn the more important storyline begins. With the unwalkable terrain, I playtested it so many times and I could get past it fine, every single time. The 'random' SoO was a doppelganger, well, was meant to be. Just some random encount I thought I'd put in, personally, I thought it was quite cool to be fighting a doppelganger. You would have seen this if you selected it.

Sorry there's no music.

Anyone gonna comment? More than 100 downloads and only two comments.

[Edited on 11/21/09 @ 02:58 AM]

somerandomdude
File Author
Ok, I'm gonna give this a MASSIVE update, with my new-found skills, I'm gonna redo the showcase, redo the maps, redo the objectives, redo the triggers, its gonna be so much better, but dont Dl until I say its done...

Features of update:
-Better eyecandy-100%
-Better Triggers-100%
-Difficulty Levels-100%
-Nicer Looking Showcase-100%
-Objectives explain more well-100%
-Screenies in Showcase-100%
-Aden the Druid Logo-Done
-And more...

[Edited on 11/26/09 @ 05:53 AM]

Hammerhands
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 3
It was relatively easy to play, and was reasonably fun, it would have been better with some music... (would have used my radio, but it's late here, and it would disturb others). Sometimes I had trouble figuring out where to go and what to do, and that detracted from the fun a bit. But over all you did a good job here.

Balance: 3
I played it on moderate. And I thought it was a bit on the difficult side, but I managed to win the campaign. The downside here was that there were always so MANY enemies and they all MOBBED me. My druids would get surrounded and I'd be scrambling to get my people out. I even had one scenario where Aden died. But with the priests, I managed to complete the map.
Should fix this.

Creativity: 4
It was a good story, and while it needed a bit of embellishment, it was not a bad play because of it. There was little to tell the player why Aden was looking for the council, or why he wanted it's help. And little was explained in-game about the Dark Lord. The maps were creative, but needed more eye candy. And could have used more detail.

Map Design: 3
As I said above, the maps could have used more detail, but the overall design was nice. I especially liked the locusts inside the desert, the ring of fire (Might use that myself), and the druid circles. with the tap root sprigs.
The place could have used more terrain mixing, and a touch more embellishments. Rocks, flowers and the like.

Story/Instructions: 3
The story was good. I liked it, but nothing was explained throughout. You didn't explain who the Dark Lord was, where he came from, or why he was doing what he was doing. In fact, he wasn't ever really mentioned until a few scenarios in.
The instructions didn't add anything to your score here. I won't say they were terrible, but they need a lot of work. Add a few more objectives through out, and add a little more of an explanation as to what the player is supposed to do. I managed to kill the Circe, WHILE she was in the ring of fire (The anubites leaped in) And then I saw the message that said I needed to lure her to some unstable rocks. It occurred to me then to wonder... "What rocks? I don't remember any rocks!" So after exploring for a while, I found a cliff area, knocked over the two boulders (There wasn't any living thing in sight) and then gave up. I could see the whole map, and there weren't any more enemies. So I skipped to the next Scenario.

Edit: I watched the initial cinematic: +1 score here.

Additional Comments:
Good game. Needs work. Sorry if that was a bit harsh, don't let it put you down.

And I noticed one game-killing bug... at least I'd consider it game killing if it was my game...
Aden walked straight through the maze on his way back out. Right through those walls. Fix this with invisible walls, inside the stone fences. It looked nice though.

[Edited on 12/01/09 @ 09:59 PM]

somerandomdude
File Author
Thanks! That wasn't harsh at all, and I might redo it now and fix those bugs ASAP since someone has finally reviewed. Ok, with the 'Dark Lord' his title is actually the 'Shadow Lord', you know, leader of the Shadow Circle. His full story will be revealed later on... probly with Aden the Druid 3 if I decide to make it. Again, thanks for taking your time to review it.

EDIT: I THINK I've found some music to include with this. I wonder if Swift Sword is actually gonna review.

[Edited on 12/01/09 @ 05:49 AM]

Hammerhands I'm going to edit that review...

I found another file in that scenario. The initial cinematic? It told me everything I dropped your score for not having.
somerandomdude
File Author
Thanks! Is there a end cinematic in there too? Did I remember to upload it?
Hammerhands I think so.
Valuax Im gonna review this 5.0
somerandomdude
File Author
Really, a 5 ey? Why so high?
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account