Single Player Scenarios » Mercenaries of War

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Mercenaries of War

Author File Description
Ablast3
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
My very first Scenario

An average battle takes place on the border between Rome and Gaul. Julius Caesar and Vercingetorix battle it out again but you get to decide who wins this battle when the mercenaries arive. Will you join the savage Gauls or the sophisticated Romans? Its your choice, but choose wisely.

Features
------------

-An epic battle between Gaul and Rome
-Four different unit types to fight in the battle
-Balance system to get enemy soldiers behind your lines and vice versa
-A choice between Gaul and Rome
-An opportunity to enjoy a project by Ablast3
-Completely triggered

The objective is easy.
Follow your allies army to the enemy obelisk.
Destroy the enemy obelisk and then you win.

This map is not supposed to be historical. Just a game so that you may enjoy yourselves as you push into the enemy lines.

This is my first map so please comment/review because I need to know what I will need to improve on.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Ablast3
File Author
yay i got a dl!
Myles_Kennedy
(id: Jack D P)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance3.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions2.0
First off, hi and congrats on releasing your first scenario! It was pretty good compared to a lot of the maps that get released these days.

Playability: 4
The map was very fun considering it was your first scenario. I enjoyed the way you made it the player only controls the hero and must leave the other bits to the continuously spawning armies. It was well put together for playability and the overall scenario is fun.

Balance: 3
Hmmm, this let you down unfortunately. The romans were heavily overpowered compared to the gauls. They spawned less often but this did not make up for the fact that the roman forces just pushed their way through the gauls. The gaul soldier need a slight armour increase while the romans need a small attack decrease(1-2).

Creativity: 4
Well, it is pretty crafty and creative. The idea was obviously well thought out and had some time put into it, but it could have had some finishing touches added to it. A cinematic would have been nice. Maybe a few name changes here and there, particularly with the heroes. You should have changed the Destroyers to Legionaries or something.(Winston Shnozwick has released an excellent trigger for the job).

Map Design: 4
For a first scenario the map design was excellent. The terrain mixing was a bit dodgy. Mix in some other terrains, oak forest, grass/dirt and stuff like that.
The shape of the map was good, allowed for the idea of pushing up the map a bit more realistic.
There are some good guides on this website about map design. Check around, especially the forums, we will do our best to answer your questions there.

Story/Instructions: 2
As I said, the story could have been better developed. A cinematic at least would have explained the story in game and made it more interesting. Something else that you forgot was the objectives. You need to add details on what the player is meant to be doing in game. There is a trigger called objectives, use that. You also need to write objectives. I will link a guide for that.

Additional Comments:
Well done for a first scen. It was quite enjoyable, I would have used the idea myself if I had thought of it.

Guides:
http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/lister.php?category=cookbook&rating=top
http://aom.heavengames.com/scendesign/basics/
http://aom.heavengames.com/scendesign/mapdesign/
http://aom.heavengames.com/scendesign/advanced/
Ablast3
File Author
Thank you for the review. Yes i didn't put in the objectives/story because i got a little frustrated with the triggers at the end. I was also meaning to put difficulties... Playing the Romans are on easy and playing the Gauls are on hard.
Myles_Kennedy
Well, you did well at advertising your scenario. You did not just say:
"lol dis iz mah ferst senario u shuld dl and rate!!!1!"

Good work :p.

Jack
Valuax Age of mythology vanilla version please.......
Hammerhands
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance2.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design3.0
Story/Instructions2.0
I wonder at myself for writing a review that is so similar to the one above...

Playability: 3
It was a good play. A bit rough, but a good play. The most major draw back here was that once your hero fell, you were stuck just sitting there. You didn't lose or win (Which would have been strange) The 'allies' didn't stand you back up, and you were just left to watch all these armies run industriously to and fro. It'd get boring.

Balance: 2
As Jack D P said, the balance was a bit skewed in favor of the Julii family. The numbers of Gauls made no difference. And the Greek and Atlantean units waltzed right over them. Either increase the number of Gauls, increase their armor or attack, or decrease the Romans' numbers armor or attack. This will balance it back out a bit.

Creativity: 4
Nicely done. The map was creative, the idea was creative, and the units involved were nice. A few changed names would have improved it a bit, and music would have been nice (I don't remember noticing any. My bad if there was some). Maybe a really neat way to get your hero to stand up again. Maybe a limited number of times if you like though. (I have an idea here... but I'm not sure if I want to share it or keep it for one of my scenarios.)

Map Design: 3
Well designed. The map was well designed for what it was meant to do, but the eye candy needed a face lift. D P said it was 'dodgy'. I'd describe it as blotchy. It had big patches of dark green grass, but patches of light green grass, and the occasional sudden spot of sand. Make the terrains smoother for a nicer look. That you mixed terrains was good. I know I failed to do that in my first published map, but if you make the blotches look less like blotches it'll look better. Add a few rocks, a few flowers...

Story/Instructions: 2
Besides the instructions on how to choose an army and a hero, I was wondering... What instructions? I managed to pick an army, pick a hero, and then... what? What now? It took me quite a while to FIND my hero. I expected the obelisks to fall and let me wander off with Amanra, but it didn't happen. A camera set cut would have been nice. Once I had my hero(ine) I as left trying to figure out what was supposed to happen next.
The embarrasing part was that I had to [i]follow[/I] the ulfsarks and Huskarls to the enemy. Because I figured the triggers would tell me what was happening.

Additional Comments:
I had to go into the editor to find out how I'd won. The obelisk? I'd have expected to have to kill the 'Agamemnon' hero there.

Overall a good map. Needs work, but a good map.

[Edited on 11/30/09 @ 01:06 AM]

Pheonix_Fire Hmm this scenario should be 4.0
Ablast3
File Author
really?
Myles_Kennedy
Yeah, I was a bit harsh. So was hammer. But, at least you should be able to get a 4 on your next scen.
CharlieDog Seems like a good download, I'll have a look at it and maybe give the 4 review. :P
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.3
Balance2.5