Author File Description
CharlieDog
File Details
Version: AoM: The Titans
Charliedog proudly presents:
The Tyrant...
Showcase: The Tyrant
AOM TITANS ONLY
Experience a gameplay like never before. In the Tyrant, you must do quests which gain you gold and renown, renown can be traded for allies, and gold can be traded for upgrades or mercenaries. In the middle of all of this lies a castle and when you click on the gatekeeper, you can begin to attack with all the allies you have collected. Some quests are hard, some are easy. But it is up to you, to make the right decisions when trading renown, good luck.

Features:
Allies from aomh
Small map so virtually no travelling
Classes
Powers
Interactive buildings
Timer based missions (e.g. collect the berries before they rot: 20)
4 difficulty levels
Infinite levelling system (Modifies all your party)
Many people who talk, some with the same random sayings, others with a set completely unique.

Credits:
Nottud for triggers
Hammerhands for playtesting
Guard of Olympus for playtesting
THYMOLE for playtesting

Please notify me of any bugs, it has been thoroughly playtested, but something could still go wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
WinstonShnozwick Great job getting this finally done man. Thumbs up!
CharlieDog
File Author
Thanks Winston, I hope people understand it, it's a bit different from normal scenarios, but good luck to them.

Have you had any thoughts of what is going to become of Nomadican? Or have you just given up?
blaht
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
The playability in this scenario was great. You started of with a man who you could change to any class that you liked,I haven't seen this in many other scenarios besides birthright. though the map wasn't exactly big you still had a lot to do and I liked the way that most people said random things.

Balance: 5
This game was greatly balanced. you started off small but soon enough you had enough money and renown to be able to buy almost anyone and best of all some characters didn't need any renown. I especially liked the way that 'the healer' heals you every few minutes for 50 hp.

Creativity: 5
The idea of a hero trying to save a village isn't exactly new but the idea of a small map, that makes it easier to find your way around is. I liked the way that your hero starts off as 'the unknown'. I also liked the way you could end up being a mage thats an idea that I haven't seen many times in RPGs.

Map Design: 5
The map was pretty well designed,the eye-candy was good enough and I liked the way you merged building to make the main tower,but once again like in birthright you could rob houses. Though I do like the way you have trapped some houses so you could end up losing health or may be even death.

Story/Instructions: 5
The instruction were good but didn't exactly tell you much about what to do,you get a five because of the story which was very good and well I don't want to give any more info to further downloaders. Its a great game and the instruction do tell you about the characters which can help you a lot.

Additional Comments:This is one of the great RPGs. This is a great game worth playing you have to download and play it.

[Edited on 02/02/10 @ 03:12 PM]

Swift sword I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to lengthen that review, or the powers-that-be will remove it :/
Gratz, I'll download and review. Been looking for a good Single-player scn to review. :D
CharlieDog
File Author
Thank you very much blaht, I appreciate the review, however, it may have to be a bit longer if you want it to not get deleted. I was afraid some people may not understand what to do and rate it badly, however it seems you found out what to do and found it fun which is always good.
Elder_Ulsfark Awesome scenario!

The multitudes of quests that you could do were all varying and quite creative. (especially a certain elephant hunt) I also liked the idea of having gold AND renown, with multiple uses for both. Sadly, I couldn't get some of the shopkeepers, like the Heracles one to work, so I just ended up robbing their stores. Still, just the fact that you can do that is pretty awesome! :)

The levelling system was pretty decent too; in all honesty, for the first bunch of quests I did, I didn't even know that you COULD level since there weren't too many enemies. Then, after the portal-from-hell-hold-until-relieved quest, I was something like level 12.

Perhaps more enemies throughout the map would have been nice; not because it lacks enemies, quite the contrary. It just doesn't match the leveling system. (During the end cinematics, I kept getting Level Up yellow text, but that might be due to the bug described below V)

Towards the end, just after the portal-from-hell quest and saving Amanra from the lions, some kind of bug or cheat must have occurred, raising all of my units' HP and attack to about 100 000. Made the end kinda easy, but hey, it was still an interesting boss fight and idea.

All in all an awesome scenario, I'll try to get a review soon, im gonna play it again. (There's another nice side to it ... replay value!)

P.S. berry picking was pretty creative, and nice triggers + a bit of pressure. Walking skult the slowass to the other side of the map was pretty creative and had nice triggers too, was just missing the pressure part :P
CharlieDog
File Author
Thanks Elder, I knew I should never have put that thing in. If you type in "Power" then you get 1000000 health which stuffed it up. And sometimes, I know the last one I released, it just happens randomly, sorry about that.

And aren't you the guy who created Thorvald the ruler. That was a really fun and different scenario. THe storyline was great. I didn't even know you went on anymore.
Elder_Ulsfark
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
Playability was excellent. As I've already said, all of the quests were very diverse and made for some interesting gameplay. I couldn't wait to "see what the next quest had to offer", and the idea of each unit saying something either helpful or annoying to you if you selected it was hilarious. Some of the "NPC" (I guess you could call them that...) characters were funny too, like Collin the colossus who started groaning at me when I selected his house.

Everything seemed playable towards the end as well, with the difficulty of it depending on how much effort you put into gathering allies. The boss fight, too, didn't seem impossible or anything, and there were almost no boring or tedious parts that made it seem less exciting of a scenario. (With the exception of one stupid drum kit piece ... I spent ten minutes looking all over the map with all my units, only to realize that it was right in the middle of the road!)

I'm not quite sure how you handled death in the player since I never died; however, I noticed a "Revival Stone" relic that I picked up. I'm guessing that that allows you to "revive", which is a good feature for an RPG of any sort. A message to confirm that when you pick it up would be nice, tho. (Maybe I didn't get it since I first picked it up with a different unit, then brought it over to my hero.)

Balance: 4
The balance was great, in terms of the opponents you had to face, up until a certain point. For the first bit it was overwhelmingly easy, since all I really ended up facing was cute little hoplites who really didn't fare well against 25 pierce attack :)

A bit later on, I noticed that the enemies you had to fight were somewhat difficult, such as for example the Valkyrie. At that point I had a strong army and killed it, but I noticed that the quests didn't seem to have any level requirements, meaning you could walk in on the portal-from-hell-defend quest with just your one character, and get your rear end handed to you on a silver platter. I think that it would have been a good idea to give quests a Minimal level, or better yet, a check to make sure you have enough allies to handle it.

This would obviously require advanced triggering, but since you've done so much already, I'm sure you could get it to work. :)

Also, the leveling system was pretty cool and seemed to work well. The only concern was that by the time I leveled up to a high enough level, my guy didn't really change much since I had a rampaging army of heroes. Perhaps boosting his attack would be good too. (idk if you boosted the number of projectiles as you level up aside from the special, but the unlocking "Special Ability" features were very nice. However, 60 seconds of invulnerability is a little overboard.)

Creativity: 5
If this could get 10/5 it would, but sadly the selection box is adamant in its decision. :(

Scenario was very creative, with quests covering so many different types, this could qualify for a mini-game collection. As I said before, the berry bush and elephant shooting/selecting were awesome. To top that off, you really did an excellent job with making almost everything on the map interactive; just selecting a house lets you try to rob it, that in turn leads to several possible events, which is just about as creative as you can get with a game like this. (I kicked a log over and set the house on fire ... Oh Noez!)

The whole scenario idea and goal was pretty cool too, with a bit of backstory being given from random people talking to you. I would have liked to have seen more development with the *cough* "antagonist-god-thing" at the start, but you made up for it with random dialogues hinting at who/what is backing up the emperor, and how he is super-frightening and evil.

There was so much cool and creative stuff in this scenario that I could go on praising it for paragraphs. Custom projectiles were awesome too, with the exception of a pharaoh throwing implosion spheres (cool, but looks kinda weird :/) A small and probably easy thing that you could have added is a day/night cycle. Also, the shop was a great idea, aside from the fact that the best two units (odysseus and the sexy assistand >:D) seemed to not work properly; the message to buy them came up for me the first time, but after I pressed No and came back later, still having enough $$, the message to buy them didn't come up again. The other three worked tho, so its all good.

Map Design: 5
Not much to say here ... excellent building stacking and nice eyecandy, I especially enjoyed the mage buildings (although Norse doesn't seem like the kind of building that they would use; a late-age Atlantean or Greek could probably work better).

Eyecandy features were all excellent, from the portal to hell place (which looked cool, but probably should have been made impassable to avoid my units flying up and down the steep ramps. More space for that quest area would have been a nice idea) to the Arkantos-god temple.

Very well done :)

Story/Instructions: 4
The story, as I've already rambled on about, is very good. The base idea is nice, and it's well developed by the fact that everyone talks to you and gives hints and ideas about what's going on. Leads to quests are also very nice. The mission objectives, however, could be put to a lil better use. Instead of giving a new mission objective for each "unique" party member you gain, perhaps more detailed instructions and reminders about how you select/start quests, or which quests to do first would have been nice. Information about their specials could be given in a chat text message, since it's mostly just one-word stuff that can be remembered pretty easily.

The instructions for using renown/gold were pretty good, although I wasn't quite able to understand how exactly it worked for individual units; some seemed to join you without any renown whatsoever, but correspondingly sucked, which seems ok. Some extra tips would have also been a nice idea in the Spotlight section rather than lose conditions, since those are pretty darn obvious. (You can put it in one line: If you lose your hero, you Lose.)

A bit more management and guidance with the quests, in general, would have been nice. Knowing which quests are easy and which are hard is a good thing, but it needs to be made supremely clear to avoid people from doing stuff above their level/army strength.

Also, I know this goes in playability, but the "Find XXXXX" quests were a little annoying. It took me a while to find the drumset, and I never even found the QV goat (perhaps it's because I'm hopeless at them myself :p)

Additional Comments:
Wonderful scenario. Hope to see more from you; and yeah, I left AOM for years and years, but now after growing bored of Starcraft and other games, I decided to try it again. As these forum people say, "they always come back". :p
CharlieDog
File Author
Thanks for review, I agree with all that you said. Making a level requirement is a great idea, sadly, I probably won't get round to making it anytime soon, but anyway thanks a lot. That was the biggest review I've ever seen, lol.
wolfb A little spoiler because of the above review, don't read this if you haven't don it yet(how do you change text colors?):

The QV goat is just between Winstons house and the portal
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0