Multiplayer Scenarios » Roc Settlers

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Roc Settlers

Author File Description
hoodedwarbler12
File Details
# of Players: 6 - 3v3
Version: AoM: The Titans
Here is my new Roc Settlers map! You start as a villie and a roc and a few goats. Be wise where you settle. SOme places are rich in resources, others resources are scarce. Hidden suprises fill the sea. 3v3. Enjoy!
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
BSU_DoLhades
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance2.0
Creativity1.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions1.0
Playability: 2
Playability is low, it is played like every other Supremacy game. In my opinion, there should be more of a twist to this, but first there is one issue that really needs sorting: Resources. You start with not even enough for a Town Centre! So you have to gether it to start the game...

Balance: 2
It was somewhat unbalanced, each area had its advantages and disadvantages, and they were generally strong disadvantages outweighing the advantages, the resources were generally too scare, and if you lose your roc, thats it! game over! But fish was a huge problem,you could gather so much from just one spot, it tips the balance of the game

Creativity: 1
Pretty much the same as any settlers or riv civ, the layout was defencive and you started with a roc, a few goats and a citizen, the exact same start as most Settlers and Riv Civs

Map Design: 2
The Eye Candy was poor, the only thing I can say that really got you the 2 is the layout and elevation. It used good elevation and the edges of each area was great, however everything else somewhat lacked

Story/Instructions: 1
There was no story or instructions, so these need to be added!

Additional Comments:
Could do better, I believe in you! ;P

[Edited on 05/11/11 @ 04:54 PM]

Glen654
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance2.0
Creativity1.0
Map Design1.0
Story/Instructions1.0
Playability: 2
I felt the playability was really lacking. From the start, i could see that there were several bugs, such as the goats, i do not think it was a good idea, and it didn't work out very well either. You could just steal your opponents goats right there, so that was not fun, nor balanced. Secondly, there was not a lot of building room, and that makes it very difficult. I also was disappointed at the amount of relics, just way too many in my opinion. It is also very hard to start, with so little resources and only one villager, that also is quite annoying. But i didn't give you a 1 because the game was a little fun, it wasn't completely boring.

Balance: 2
The balance wasn't very good either, you either have a good island to start, and are in the competitive bunch, or have a bad island, and you have lost. You can also lose your roc too easily, which is really annoying, and its hard to come back from that. In addition, anyone who controlled the fish, controlled the game. They were unevenly spread out, and there was way to many of them. I personally like maps with a lot of fish, but when it's uneven it begins to weigh in other player's favor.

Creativity: 1
Very little creativity, to be honest. There was nothing unique I saw here, nothing at all. Everything I had seen before. To improve here, there are several things you could do, for instance you could make the whole map have a hidden story, such as the ruins of a city, and what appears to be the remains of a giant battle. You could also have a feature we haven't seen before in a game like this, maybe something like random events or the such. You could add day/night cycles to add to the map as well. Just some ideas.

Map Design: 1
No eyecandy. Whatsoever. You used two terrains, sand and forest. You did use the beautify water, but that is the most minimal you could possibly do. And, the waterfalls were just floating there, it didn't make any sense at all. You could make this look really nice, refer to tasty's guide here - http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=9984

Story/Instructions: 1
No story, but that doesn't apply here, but no instructions, applies little here but there was absolutely nothing! you could at least add something of a story, or something of instructions. For the story part, you could add a side story that isnt explained in detail, but maybe with names of signs, ruins etc. For the instructions, all you should do here is have an overlay text at the beginning stating to look in the objectives for more info, and explain the scenario in more deep detail.

Additional Comments:
I may not have scored you very high, but by all means don't feel discouraged, scen design can be difficult, everyone has to start out somewhere. If you really work at it, and practice, you can create great maps.

[Edited on 05/12/11 @ 12:36 AM]

That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
Yeah you definitly need to fix these. If the mods get to it before you guys do, thats one bad review on your record. I don't mean to sound like a d*** but the whole point is to encourage hearty reviews.
hoodedwarbler12
File Author
Thanks for your advice! I didn't design this to be an eyecandy map, if I had it would have looked WAY better. I made it to be fun, and I added the unevenness as a variable for random success. But now I see that's not good. Thanks again!
Glen654 @hoodedwarbler i really like your units that you made for the game, I hadn't noticed that it was the same person here.

@Expert i don't think my review was that bad, I justified all my points and provided good advice imo
BSU_DoLhades Pointing the good and bad bits out are important in a review, which I have done with a special Message to encourage him to do more :P

There were quite a few problems with the map, such as the goats you start with, which change to your allies at the start, and the fact that you cant build a TC

That can easily be fixed through Scenario -> Players. Then you can view and edit starting resources¬
hoodedwarbler12
File Author
What made me a little mad, BSU, is that you rated someone who used no terrain or triggers higher than me.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability2.0
Balance2.0
Creativity1.0