New Files

Single Player Scenarios » KoTM: Heroes of Avalon

Download File Post Review Post Comment

KoTM: Heroes of Avalon

Author File Description
Gaurdian_112
File Details
Version: AoM
* Winner of the most Challenging Scenario award.

* Best Scenario Designer Award.

Its an RPG or RPS.

Story-

The King of the Mountain is the story of Thorin, son of Balin and heir to the
throne of Avalon, who must re-take the Mountains of Avalon and return them to
their former masters, the mighty dwarves. To do this, Thorin must gather seven
companions and journey around the world to reach the King of the Mountain, the
mighty dragon Smaugh, and slay him. Since the dwarven pathway was blocked off
by a landslide 200 years ago, Thorin and his companions must travel past the
land of the Mountain Giants and into a land dwarves had never before set foot
upon.

In the first installment of the trilogy, the Heroes of Avalon, you lead your band
of heroes out of the city of Avalon..directly into the most dangerous territory in the
world. Use your heroes arsenal of weapons; including spears, arrows, and healing powers,
and gain abilities like extra armor to defeat your foes.

Features-

- A huge 510X510 map fully detailed with eye candy from the very begining to the very end,
including a beautiful city of Avalon ,filled with active villagers and carts, inspired by
PhatFish's Pretty Town!

- Choose from up to 9 heroes; each with their own special abilities and bonuses.

- Fight up to 4 bosses: From the mighty lord of the icy mountains to the powerful sorcerer
in the troll city of Kaindur..

- An interesting, original story-line.

- Talk to villagers for hints.

- 5 in-game cinematics.

- Quoted from one of HoA playtesters; "EXTREMLY FUN..." CoReDooM, Merlord Studios.'

- Great music from the Elder Scrolls III: Morrowmind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
CoReDooM
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4
I liked the playability in The Heroes of Avalon because you were first tasked to find some men what will help you on your quest by buying them from various places, and what could extreamly effect the way you win the game, so I give it a "4" for this awsome way of making the scenario roll!

Balance: 5
It was Extreamly balanced, well in some areas easy and some hard thats why you need to use lots of technics to pass some areas, like for example your fighting a group of enemies you have to put your strongiest men in front so your weak survive for later use and thats why I gave it a "5" for Balance.

Creativity: 5
It was quite creative, something very unique for once, not the same old boring kind of scenario, it was heaps fun how you had all these quests and ended up very good overall. And "5" for Creativity

Map Design: 4
The Map is also very huge, and has many different enviroments, makes you feel like your realy into a callenge and isn't always played in the same area.
Yep a "4" for Map Design.

Story/Instructions: 5
The Story was well done, even the intro was excellent how his father gave him a challenging task to do with overall great effects. I think the story line was the best thing out of this scenario as it gave you the feeling that your really in the game and it was quite fun so I give it a "5" for Story.

-CoReDooM
CheeZy
(id: CheeZy monkey)
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
RPS :) Yay

Playability: 5
This is great, I think this is the first true RPS for AOM. You start out exploring a town looking for "heros" to join you in your quests. Villagers talk to you using the click-talk trick from AOK, and outside of the town there is more yet to explore and even some villians to fight. This map has a very well designed gameplay system, basically it's fun to play :)

Balance: 5
A perfectly balanced scenario is challenging but not impossible to beat. You will have to use strategy when approaching enemies, and you'll have to pull back some heroes so they don't die and figure out which ones should attack first. I only lost a few times throughout the campaign, it was challenging but not impossible.

Creativity: 4
Nothing amazing in particular here, no new tricks, no genious trigger work, nor killer cinematics. It's still a very good scenario and well thought off, better then standard but not the best yet which keeps this from a 5 rating

Map Design: 5
The map is designed well, good use of forrests, elevation, etc. Everything looks good and fits, the only thing I don't like is the need to stuff 100 "Rock Granite small" objects as road borders. Killed my 600Mhz comp. Otherwise it has excelent map design.

Interesting story, though slightly unoriginal. The instructions are good too since I wasn't confused at all in what I was supposed to do throughout the game

SesameSticks An awesome job, the first truly great creation for AOM. Encore!
dnwq A few things to say...

I'm a lousy player, so I found this okay. However, isn't three regenerating heroes a bit much?

On my first try I chose Kemsyt, Reginleif, Hippolyta, Odysseus, Chiron, Son of Osiris, and got Arkantos at the gate. Fairly simple for the rest. Kept the Valkyrie (sp?) and Hero of Ragnarok far, far behind, the three regenerating heroes far in front, and the rest in the middle.

Throughout the Frost Giants, Fire Giants, Forest, and the Troll city, I just used the three regenerating heroes in the brunt of the battle, with the normal heroes adding power at the back. I do believe Chiron got hit - once - by a Fire Giant, but otherwise, only the 3 regenerating heroes ever got hit. Reduce their power, please, or add more enemies.

Also, can the amount of rain clouds be reduced? They really lagged the game.

Third and last grouse: in the starting cinematic, personally, I think the Valkyrie squeezing in between the King and his son looks a bit ridiculous. Make her queue behind or something. ;)

If I'm sounding too critical, I'd like to add that besides by three grumblings, your scen. REALLY ROCKS (no sarcasm here). When's the sequel coming out?

[Edited on 10/09/03 @ 06:45 AM]

Gaurdian_112
File Author
Thanks for the comments guys!

dnwq- The scn was initially even easier, but after lots of playtesting I (and the
playtesters) decided to add a few more enemies and thus this is what you
get. Don't forget, you didn't just attack, you strategized! Putting your
regenerating heroes in the front did you good..had you not done that, would
you have won?

In the starting cinematic, I tasked Valkerie to walk towards the dwarf. If your
comp lags, she will go between them. On fast computers, she goes behind Thorin:).

Oh and thank you for the "REALLY ROCKS" comment, much appreciated:).

As for being too critical, on the contrary, I'm pleased someone criticised
the scn. Thank you very much, you helped me realise my mistakes so the secon
can be better.

Which answers your second question-yes, there will be a sequel!

The Mists of Lothrendell. It'll be for the Titans expansion pack!
Toma542170 Ok, great time spent on the map! BUT, the fact that evry unit is a hero except for valkeryie is crazy, you should choose someone else besdies valkeryies that is a hero, I say this because, she is the only unit that can be frozen by the giants, and the ony that can be frozen by the medusa, I'm not ALWAYS watching where she is cause that would be boring, and someitems she comes out of noweherea nd atttacks, firs titme she was killed by the frosty, then second time by the medusa, its so easy to kill her, and lo and behold, she in one of the units that cant be killed. PLease make her a hero, I gave up after the second time, re going and getting all the heroes is tedious..I'd like to see the end, but I dont have the patience to re do it, so that is way out of balance, it made me not want to play anymore.. : / Besides, that, up to the frieken Medusa, I luved it, music is nice...How many triggers!? Like 1000!: O
Gaurdian_112
File Author
You should save man...save once you get all the heroes again.

Whats the fun in it if you can't even lose?

I think the fact that Valkirie isn't a hero makes it alot, alot more interesting and makes u strategize more.

You can buy the mountain giant too, if you look more thoroughly throughout the city. He can get frozen and "stoned" too:).
SirGrayhorn Playability: 1
well i found it very confusing, i played and from the start i encountered the first set of bandits i was just organizing thorin and the girl to fight and it skips to a cut scence of osiris. i think i missed something. the camera angles were a bit too close for my liking.
Balance: 1
the balance could use some work. those frost giants and wolves in the start seemed a bit too strong for the first area. i think the bonus that the myth units do to each other played a part in that. i'm not sure how the program works to edit the game but i think tuneing down there attack or defense would help. and then gradually increase as the game goes along.
had to give this a 5!! i followed your advice and looked at the town. i must say you put alot of time into it and it was great. the whole feel was that of classic rpg and i liked that alot.
the map design was also well thought throw and taken care of. only problem i had with the design was the cramped up spaces. had little room to move my characters smoothly through the enviroment. i eventually figured a way too but i think by making more room in the map it would pay off better.

Story/Instructions: 3
it was no doubt a take of Tolkiens "The Hobbit" but you seemed to try and put it into a good view and that was good. the diaglo could of used work but i seen worst so i had to give you credit for atleast acting like you cared for the story. the music also i enjoyed very good selection

Additional Comments:
over all a good idea. i really think you should keep working on it. try not craming too much in together, the coty could still look pretty but less cramed for moveing purpose. also the power of the baddies. they are too strong too fast. the number was good but not as tough in the start make them uber in the end thou!!!!

Edit: Problem with percerption of categories/scenario. Rating removed - Kumar

[Edited on 10/25/03 @ 02:08 PM]

cosmicpanda Playability: 5
Great stuff! Makes you want to go on... and on... and on... then try again coz you blew 2000 gold on Redbeard...
The Hersir is great value for money.

Balance: 4
Mostly good, but I found the sea with all the myth units in hard to get through. The frost giants were easy enough with the SoO. The Valkerie is too vulnerable though.

While there is alot of LOTR themed scenarios out there, this one goes to whole new lengths and sort of makes it's own branch out in terms of ideas and themes.

Beautiful city, design, great cinematics, top marks.

Clear instructions guide you through.
Every segment is like a little mini scenario, making it like a campaign almost.

Additional Comments:

This is a very good scenario with great creativity. I wouldn't make the Valkerie so important as she dies easily.

[Edited on 10/25/03 @ 02:07 PM]

apolos Oops,accidental click.Please delete it :D

[Edited on 10/26/03 @ 08:43 PM]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating